Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2021, 20:13   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to replace a Fiat Linea T-Jet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikhar10882 View Post
Yes... they are routine. And for sure are expected of any car once she reaches into 10th year.

Bored of Linea?? Nope. This consideration is - changing just for the heck of it. If you ask me to justify the 'NEED' for change, I am dumbstruck.

totally a possibility - especially if I do not 'connect' to the car. As my dad used to say, you are not driving till you, car and road become one entity.

So judging by the inputs, it is making more sense to wait it seems, at least for another year or two.. no?
Just these statements above should answer your question.
If parts are available, and the car doesn't throw up any nasty surprises that could leave you stranded - you should be good to go.

If it is about higher maintenance : One way to look at it is if you have 25L liquidity, invested at a safe 5% gives you 1.25L return/year. If your annual maintenance is lower than this amount, you're in the green - save up for something better & explore self-drive options for those annual vacations (there are several options in Delhi, including some premium SUVs / sedans / sports cars - don't necessarily have to stick to abused Zoom vehicles).
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 20:52   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
One way to look at it is if you have 25L liquidity, invested at a safe 5% gives you 1.25L return/year. If your annual maintenance is lower than this amount, you're in the green - save up for something better & explore self-drive options for those annual vacations (there are several options in Delhi, including some premium SUVs / sedans / sports cars - don't necessarily have to stick to abused Zoom vehicles).
Sounds so much sensible...

Thanks a ton @lamborghini

However, am still keeping the thread and search alive with my eyes and ears open...
shikhar10882 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 23:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Any luck guys?.
If you are satisfied with FCA service and automatic transmission isn’t mandatory, go with Compass eyes closed as per your budget.
Octavia will launch soon. You can wait for that as well.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 00:01   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And I presume these ladies will be moneypits for any decision made by heart - eg T-Roc with DSG and Spares.
But if I go for a practical car, put good 20L on it - will I get bored of it too soon?
If you are keeping the vehicle for long, please put your money on brands that have good presence and have invested in our market. The model should be a good selling one too to ensure at least a decade of trouble free ownership and be able to sell it off without much hassle at the end of it.

We drove a Chevrolet to the dealership and it was given Scrap value in exchange for a new car - not a dead car but a living breathing vehicle. This is the reality.

Yes you will get bored if you get the wrong car in a few months. But as long as the engine and transmission keeps you entertained, usually the others things we easily get used to.

Make a list of vehicles that you think you should try and see what you can and cannot live without after driving them of course. You will find it.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 00:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
If you are satisfied with FCA service and automatic transmission isn’t mandatory, go with Compass eyes closed as per your budget.
Octavia will launch soon. You can wait for that as well.
1. FCA guys have been doing well so far with my Jet (Fingers crossed). They are far from where I reside bit then, we have to go there only once a year... So no biggie. (VW Service station is definitely nearer).

2. I personally prefer a manual over an Auto - but have heard so much about the capability of the DSG, it looked attractive. However, on the flip side are the dreadful stories related to the reliability of the units as well.

3. Octavia is surely worthy of a shot.

Let's see. Will keep posting here and continue seeking suggestions.
shikhar10882 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 00:22   #66
BHPian

@Kosfactor: spot on again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If you are keeping the vehicle for long, please put your money on brands that have good presence and have invested in our market.
Would you consider Jeep and VW in the list of such brands with VW group pushing for India 2.0 and Jeep lining up new launches (7 seater + Smaller to Compass SUV + India Assembled Wrangler)?

Quote:
The model should be a good selling one too to ensure at least a decade of trouble free ownership and be able to sell it off without much hassle at the end of it.
This is where none of the European vehicles would score.

Quote:
Yes you will get bored if you get the wrong car in a few months. But as long as the engine and transmission keeps you entertained, usually the others things we easily get used to.
This is exactly the concern due to which my preference was more towards driving pleasure of Germans / Europeans over the feature list of the Japanese and Korean.

Quote:
Make a list of vehicles that you think you should try and see what you can and cannot live without after driving them of course. You will find it.
Well, to put it in short, I am looking for a worthy successor to my T Jet, preferably a SUV / Crossover which gives at least as much, if not more driving pleasure. I said SUV / Crossover as I plan to undertake at least one long (read 10 days +) road trip every year besides the shorter ones. Hence wanted a car where condition of roads would not be as big a concern. Would prefer a 4x4 system if fits my budget and is able.to check the right boxes.

Seeking suggestions!!!!
Old 25th March 2021, 06:59   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Well, to put it in short, I am looking for a worthy successor to my T Jet, preferably a SUV / Crossover which gives at least as much, if not more driving pleasure. I said SUV / Crossover as I plan to undertake at least one long (read 10 days +) road trip every year besides the shorter ones. Hence wanted a car where condition of roads would not be as big a concern. Would prefer a 4x4 system if fits my budget and is able.to check the right boxes.

Seeking suggestions!!!!
Why don't you do this.

1. Go TD all the SUV options within your budget and see if anything fits the bill. If you find something that wows you, sell the Tjet. The Compass is an option, but except for the Interiors I didn't think it was a big enough jump from the Jet to justify spending 25L.

2. If you don't find anything suitable, hold on to the Jet for a couple of years. You really aren't going to loose more than a lakh on resale assuming your IDV now is about 4.25L.

3. Suggestions are just that, and all of us have different opinions. In the end you need to make the call and be happy with your decision.

Good luck.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 07:31   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Seeking suggestions!!!!
How to replace a Linea T-Jet? Buy another car, period. The Linea is now a 12+ year old platform. I replaced mine with the Duster, which had almost everything the Linea had and then some (off-roadability). You will find cars in all price ranges starting from compact SUVs to be worthy successors. Just be mentally open to the fact that you are indeed buying a newer, better platform. I would look at all options carefully, including Seltos/Creta, Kushaq/Taigun and also Harrier (AT). Any of these cars is likely to satisfy your conditions to a fair extent. Over the years I feel that notion of driving pleasure being significantly better in some over the others is a slightly exaggerated one, considering our Indian conditions.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 25th March 2021 at 07:37.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 08:54   #69
BHPian

Thank you so much again @keroo1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
1. Go TD all the SUV options within your budget and see if anything fits the bill. If you find something that wows you, sell the Tjet.
Good luck.
Perfectly put. In fact, I was waiting for the T ROC TD car to become available for the TD, so that the TDs can be undertaken back to back. The contenders remain the same (in order of priority)
1. T Roc
2. Compass
3. Harrier
4. Seltos (the updated one that comes in April end)
5. Creta
If something strikes me, good, else will wait for next batch of lunches:
1. Octavia,
2. Kushaq
3. Taigun
And so the exercise will continue till we get the 'wow' factor.
Old 25th March 2021, 09:09   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Just be mentally open to the fact that you are indeed buying a newer, better platform. I would look at all options carefully, including Seltos/Creta, Kushaq/Taigun and also Harrier (AT). Any of these cars is likely to satisfy your conditions to a fair extent.
I think, as suggested earlier, the plan to TD from April mid onwards shall be executed upon. Can the search shall continue till the WoW factor is discovered as mentioned in my post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...ml#post5030087 (How to replace a Fiat Linea T-Jet?)

Quote:
Over the years I feel that notion of driving pleasure being significantly better in some over the others is a slightly exaggerated one, considering our Indian conditions.
This can happen due to one of the 2 reasons:
1. Manufacturers have stopped focusing on this factor and are all about giving VFM proposition, making the difference smaller and none of the options being 'that good'.
2. All the vehicles have matured, reducing the gap between the driver's cars and mass's / practical car.
I sincerely hope this has more to do with 2nd reason ahead.
Old 25th March 2021, 10:01   #71
BHPian

Quote:
How to replace a Linea T-Jet? Buy another car, period. The Linea is now a 12+ year old platform. I replaced mine with the Duster, which had almost everything the Linea had and then some (off-roadability). You will find cars in all price ranges starting from compact SUVs to be worthy successors. Just be mentally open to the fact that you are indeed buying a newer, better platform. I would look at all options carefully, including Seltos/Creta, Kushaq/Taigun and also Harrier (AT). Any of these cars is likely to satisfy your conditions to a fair extent. Over the years I feel that notion of driving pleasure being significantly better in some over the others is a slightly exaggerated one, considering our Indian conditions.
Lets just agree to disagree on 'A newer platform is a better platform' when it comes to driving dynamics. I probably will stir a hornets nest here when I say I find even the high GC Linea better than a BMW 3GT D when it comes to highway runs, and the bimmer is the ultimate driving machine with a newer platform. The E90 320D is slightly more composed than the Jet at speed but the slow to medium speed ride on the runflats is a real killer. The only thing I would give my arm and a leg for is the brakes on the bimmer's that are probably 2 steps ahead of the Fiat.

I have also tried a Rapid TDi with the DGS gearbox on a drive to Mysore and it didn't feel as solid or composed as the Jet. The Fiats platform may be old, but its an extremely stable and relaxing car to drive at speed.

A long TD of the Seltos and the Sonet diesels clearly showed me where priorities have moved when it comes to selling cars. Today its gizmos that sell and not driving dynamics.

But I will agree with you that the Duster rides better than the Fiat.
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:40   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Lets just agree to disagree on 'A newer platform is a better platform' when it comes to driving dynamics.
I resonate the same feeling. For me, the Fiat Premier Padmini or Willeys were pure fun to drive cars - you never got bored of them, even after 25+ years of ownership.
But, this is also true that:
- Petrol heads are becoming more and more rare who consider cars as much more than mere mode of commutation taking you from point A to B
- The masses buy a vfm proposition, which is good, logical and a decision by mind
- I am collecting opinions and suggestions here, and would like to look upon the options from as many dimensions as possible.

Quote:
A long TD of the Seltos and the Sonet diesels clearly showed me where priorities have moved when it comes to selling cars. Today its gizmos that sell and not driving dynamics.
Exactly the point I was trying I was trying to make earlier.

Quote:
But I will agree with you that the Duster rides better than the Fiat.
If Duster AWD was available, it would have made into my garage by now. Sadly, it is one of those cars which have been killed due as cars are becoming more and more of feature rich devices from taking you from point A to B and maybe that's the reason none of the driver's delight survived in India: from Fiats / Abarth to GTIs to Cruz, to Lancers to Old Gen City (which modified itself to become a value proposition) to Baleno sedans to AWD Dusters and the list is long.
Old 28th March 2021, 22:42   #73
BHPian

This is a #metoo thread for me.... have a 2012 Tjet that brings a smile everytime I drive it... but has been to the garage for various fixes in the last 12-15 months...
And the test drives of what might suit us all at home (and the pocket) have not been going well at all....
The Tjet is definitely a difficult one to replace. Have decided to hold on.... until we run out of patience :(

Hopefully will be able to find the right one to suit us all; our requirements: not too high stance + roomy + good ride and handling + not date looks within ~ 12L
Old 31st March 2021, 08:45   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibikote View Post
This is a #metoo thread for me.... have a 2012 Tjet that brings a smile everytime I drive it...
Welcome to the club!!!

Quote:
Have decided to hold on.... until we run out of patience :(
I was in a double mind to take this route as well. But, looking at increasing frequency of long drives with our daughter growing up, I would not want to risk the reliability, hence decided to go ahead with the decision to change.

Quote:
Hopefully will be able to find the right one to suit us all; our requirements: not too high stance + roomy + good ride and handling + not date looks within ~ 12L
Happy hunting ...
I am still hunting...
@12, the roomy and ride in one package is a little difficult..
Look at it this way, you had got a car with all these feature 10 years ago that costed 12 Large...
Old 31st March 2021, 09:32   #75
BHPian

Man..
It surely does help to look at yourself - be your own consultant / advisor and read your suggestions to others.

Sometimes it helps clear your own thoughts and decision making.

Recently, I was on another thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...ar-me-buy.html (2 million rupees, and still not a "complete" car for me to buy?)
And I will quote myself from the thread:

"1. A car that costed 12 Large 10 years ago will cost at least 20 today if you buy the same car again.
2. Do you want an upgrade? The premium for upgrade has also widened in the same proportion. So what additional 1 lac over 12 lac could do 10 years ago, you would require 2 lac for the same differential today.
3. Decide what is important to you. For example, where do you see yourself driving more? Tarmacs? Any where? Do you keep on expressways? Or do you not check the condition of the roads before setting out? Do you like to reach from point A to point B in max comfort? Or do you (and of course your co passengers) enjoy the journey as well - stopping - detouring and what not - roads being as important as the destination..."

I read that and realized that with this level of thought clarity, the decision is bending towards Compass - 2.0 Limited Manual 4X2 (Even the test drive has put a lovely 'impression' in our thoughts.

Will keep you posted on the development, but as (again to quote myself from the same thread):
"There is no one size fits all for the same reasons that the requirements and expectations of each is different than the others.
There may not a perfect one in existance, but there sure is a perfect one for you.
And once you find her - don't hesitate to walk that one extra mile for her - cause if you do - she will do that too - during her years with you - which will be many if if the relationship is built over love.
And Yes - I am still talking about a man and his car only."

Lesson Learnt:
It really is simpler to advise, but more useful if those advises are implemented on yourself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks