Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 15:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Thinking of 330i. Sell Jetta or EcoSport?

If I were you, I’d wait a few more years and get a used BS6 (diesel) 5 series. That’ll be a substantial upgrade from your Jetta.

Personally, I’d recommend having a beater car. If you’re worried about the long term reliability of the EcoSpprt, I’d recommend laterally upgrading to a used Creta 1.6 petrol or even a Gi10 turbo MT.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 16:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile
The Ecosport had a complete engine overhaul 1.5 yrs ago. So, there is a mental insecurity associated that something may go wrong. But, (touchwood) it’s been running fine since so I have no reason to believe that it won’t in the upcoming years (?)
What caused this complete engine overhaul since you mentioned your usage isn't high then I guess it's surely not due to age.

I guess this EcoSport is a TDCi 1.5L Diesel, judging by your mention of 10 year rule of NGT.

Where was this work done? At Ford ASS or did you do it from outside FNG?

Usually it's logical to think of keeping Ecosport. It's a different segment with higher GC, SUV ability & compact size compare to Jetta as that would be in same segment & size of 330i.

Thanks.
Old 24th October 2020, 16:09   #18
anb
BHPian

330i is a Jetta replacement. Keep the Ecosport. When there is heavy rain or chances of floods ,you can use Ecosport due to it's high water wading capacity.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 16:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly out of the box solution - Sell the Ecosport and get the X3 30i. Same engine as the 330i with crossover and X drive practicality.

The X3 is a great handling crossover with adaptive suspension which tightens for delivering great highway performance with X drive AWD grip. Comfort mode delivers decent ride quality and X drive allows you to do some soft roading too. Quality is top notch, as in all modern day BMWs.

Jetta is a special car. Keep it for some more years. Cars like these come rarely into the market.
Santoshbhat is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 17:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Hmm...interesting thought. While I do think the 330i didn't seem much of an upgrade in terms of size, space, overall feel etc., it did seem like the balance/poise of the 3, interior quality, engine performance etc. definitely felt like upgrades.
When were were looking to upgrade from our 2011 Skoda Superb somewhere in 2016, we were looking at either the BMW 3, Audi A4 or Mercedes C. In all cases there were miles ahead in terms of interiors and and even the engine performance as you have mentioned. But was 50+ lakhs worth the premium; especially since the BMW and Merc did not have a dedicated space for the spare? Definitely no. The sane option at that time was the 2016 Skoda Superb and we got that and very happy with the decision. When we decide to upgrade from the Superb in the next couple of years, it will be a sparingly used BMW 530D MSport!

In another instance, we were choosing between the Skoda Kodiaq and the Mercedes GLC / BMW X1 / Audi Q3 and we ended up choosing the GLC. But after a couple of drives we wish we had chosen the Kodiaq instead. A 60+ lakh car not having navigation as standard and no boot release button is criminal.

Quote:
I don't think I said it clearly, but size is not very important to me. TO me, my inclination towards 5 being a 'true' upgrade is because it's an infinitely better car, not necessarily because it's bigger.
The Jetta is basically a stripped down A4. Otherwise the drive is almost exactly the same. I actually found the Jetta to be (or at least feel) slightly bigger than the A4. I bought my 2015 Jetta in 2016 and I chose it over a 2013 Audi A4 and Skoda Octavia only because it just drove better.

Quote:
Overall, I agree with you that 5 is the real deal. There is something called as moolah, which is the only issue!! Moreover, the 3 felt special enough to me! Having said that - in thinking mode for now.
Well the Germans do depreciate heavily so I have never found it worth buying a brand new Merc / BMW / Audi but instead look at a good sparingly used one instead. That will take care of the moolah bit.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 19:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Keep the Jetta and the Ecosport, invest the money you're budgeting the 330i for and once they hit the 10+ year mark then buy something then.

Why do you want to dispose of 5 and 6 year old cars now?
hserus is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 23:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Question: Question is very simple one. Out of my 2 cars, which one to sell, Ecosport of Jetta?
You have two routes to take here:

1) Keep the Jetta and sell the Ecosport if you want to sell only of the two cars that you have. You have already lost a lot on the Jetta in depreciation and may not loose more in coming years. All those mods/enhancements won't fetch any value in used market. Ecosport has better demand in used segment and hence will get you a better value. Besides you love the Jetta and so better to keep it.

The only reason that I see that you should keep the Ecosport is if you have parking space issues or you need to visit places with tight lanes or smaller parking spaces (markets?)

2) Wait for 1-2 years and then pick a fresh 5 series at year end with discounts going on

Alternatively, like GTO did, you can pick a 1-2 year old too if you are ok with a used one.

My personal choice will be option 2 but if you want to do the upgrade now, go with option 1.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 00:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

A couple of clarifications - I think the opening post may have been a bit convoluted when it comes to:

1. I meant to say the Ecosport has one more year on the 10 year mark compared to Jetta. Individually, Ecosport and Jetta have 5 and 4 years on the 10 year NCR rule mark as they are both diesels.

2. The opening post was deliberately not written over objectively as I wanted you guys to see where we are coming from. However, while responding, suggest as what you would do in my situation; just do t overindex on what we like and not.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 05:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I meant to say the Ecosport has one more year on the 10 year mark compared to Jetta. Individually, Ecosport and Jetta have 5 and 4 years on the 10 year NCR rule mark as they are both diesels
Even there selling at the seven or eight year mark and to a UP or Haryana buyer should be fine. Those cars are young and lightly used at the moment. Besides a 3 series is not that sufficient a value add to move up from a Jetta.

Invest the amount and buy a 5 series in a couple of years as others have said. The jetta is anyway a depreciation disaster so won’t sell for much, but on the other hand will give you years of good service so is worth keeping on.
Old 26th October 2020, 12:19   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Thinking of 330i. Sell Jetta or EcoSport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Keep the Jetta and the Ecosport, invest the money you're budgeting the 330i for and once they hit the 10+ year mark then buy something then.
THIS.

You own a lovely, tuned Jetta - it sounds like a royal waste of money to sell that right now, or the 5-year old EcoSport!!

It's even more of a waste because of the car you are buying. Don't get me wrong, the 330i is a beautiful sedan, but a modded Jetta does punch above its weight. I drive a 6-cylinder German & about 40 new cars every year, yet my brother's Jetta with a 170 BHP remap & Michelins makes me grin every damn time I drive it.

Basically, you are moving from a fast German to a faster German. The difference isn't night & day, and neither is it worth FOUR times (or 5?) the money.

If I was in your place, I would hold onto the Jetta & EcoSport for longer, and invest the money. Then, I'd buy a car that's a "significant" upgrade over the Jetta (e.g. G30 530d?) , or a pre-worshipped 330i 2 - 4 years down the line. There will be lots of them.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 12:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Head Decision - Sell the Jetta. Ecosport can be a beater car with high GC.

Heart Decision - Sell the Ecosport, since its sautela anyways in your house

If I were you, I will sell the Jetta as the BMW purchase will please my heart also. Also, you will release much more cash from the Jetta sale, to get a BMW higher variant.
Old 27th October 2020, 08:18   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, if you don't have any issues with the current cars, I'd suggest NOT selling any of them during this troubling times. But, if you do have your mind made up on buying the 330i then, sell the Jetta to me. .

It's always better to have different segment cars in the garage for different purposes. The 330i or Jetta cant help you if there are heavy rains and you need to tackle some high GC terrain and not to have the expensive maintenance bill in the back of your mind.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 10:04   #28
BHPian

Postpone the BMW purchase.

Keep the Jetta for 3 more years (Since its Mint condition, Just 6 years old with 50k ODO) for highway duties.This will serve you for another 30k Kms easily with regular maintenance

Ecosport is a workhorse and will serve you for city runs.
Old 27th October 2020, 10:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Put both of them on sale, whichever gets you higher cash, sell it off and retain the other one and use the money as downpayment for your next purchase.

Jetta - VW will not produce anything similar with diesel heart for Indian market anytime soon, reason enough to retain; its a VAG machine and nearly 6 years old; reason enough to sell

EcoSport: Engine has been overhauled, reason enough to sell; its your beater car for city runs; reason enough to retain

For me both options has reasons to sell as well as retian; let the money/resale decide in that case.

Last edited by i74js : 27th October 2020 at 10:21.
Old 27th October 2020, 11:31   #30
BHPian

If you can find a 1 year old 330i they seem to be a very good value. In that case, I'd sell both the Jetta and Ecosport and get the 330i (pre-worshipped) and a Thar AT Petrol. Perfect garage!
showboat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks