Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 22:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thinking of 330i. Sell Jetta or EcoSport?

First of all - thanks for the overwhelming responses. It feels like I am not the only one trying to solve the conundrum. You guys are all helping in this. Thanks!

Two more things I didn't mention in the opening post:
  1. We are also looking to upgrade because I am fed up with manual cars. While this is not something I'd take a knee jerk action on, everyday I get more and more convinced to get an automatic car. So, we are looking to change at least one of our cars to an automatic one.
  2. Under no circumstances will we either extend our budget to a higher category cars, or replace both the cars. Used car, while not completely ruled out, is a hard stretch because I'll buy the car on loan - and used car loan rates are atrocious (or are they?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Slightly out of the box solution - Sell the Ecosport and get the X3 30i. Same engine as the 330i with crossover and X drive practicality.

Jetta is a special car. Keep it for some more years. Cars like these come rarely into the market.
Yup, we were thinking on those lines too. But budget is a bit tight when it comes to being flexible with higher segment cars. It likely will have been an ideal upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
THIS.

You own a lovely, tuned Jetta - it sounds like a royal waste of money to sell that right now, or the 5-year old EcoSport!!

It's even more of a waste because of the car you are buying. Don't get me wrong, the 330i is a beautiful sedan, but a modded Jetta does punch above its weight. I drive a 6-cylinder German & about 40 new cars every year, yet my brother's Jetta with a 170 BHP remap & Michelins makes me grin every damn time I drive it.

Basically, you are moving from a fast German to a faster German. The difference isn't night & day, and neither is it worth FOUR times (or 5?) the money.

If I was in your place, I would hold onto the Jetta & EcoSport for longer, and invest the money. Then, I'd buy a car that's a "significant" upgrade over the Jetta (e.g. G30 530d?) , or a pre-worshipped 330i 2 - 4 years down the line. There will be lots of them.
If we aren't able to take clear decision either way, this will likely be our default option. The Jetta is indeed a beautiful car, and the Ecosport has no issues as such. Yes, I fully confess that it's a case of 'want' not 'need'

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeladri View Post
Simplest solution. Sell both.

Replace the Ford with a Maruti Swift Automatic/ Polo TSI automatic. Both cars are rock solid, though Maruti is cheaper to maintain but the TSI will get you a smile every time you punch it.

My background in short, my other car is an Endeavour 3.2 Titanium. I had a tuned Skoda RS from 2005 and recently sold it.
Beautiful garage that. Unfortunately, I can't afford changing both cars + it'll be an more of depreciation disaster to sell two cars in their prime. Over a period of time, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky_1002 View Post
If I were in your position, I would sell the Ecosport without a doubt since it's nearing 10 year mark in NGT rule. If a second car is required I would say get a Polo GT TSI for your errands and city commute, hold on to the Jetta for time being since you've upgraded it considerably + you both like driving it and upgrade to BMW 5 series or Audi A6 when you can for these will be an apt upgrade from Jetta.
No, the Ecosport isn't nearing the 10 yr mark. Tried to clarify that in an earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
We're in a very similar boat here. We have a Jetta and a Grand i10, and we were also considering an upgrade to the 330i. My Jetta is also remapped to about 190bhp and 450NM. But a test drive with my wife and kid in the backseat ensured that the 330i went out of the window. She found the Jetta more spacious and comfortable than the BMW. The boot space is quite laughable - and we use the Jetta for a lot of touring and long distance travel.
More importantly, I didn't feel the 330i was such a big step up from the Jetta for driving pleasure either. I'm sure it is significantly better on the twisted, but in 90% of driving conditions, the Jetta should be atleast 80% as good as the 330i.
I really can't disagree with this. In fact, the problem is that I know above is true (for me atleast). The main reason to eye 330i is driving pleasure, interior quality, and overall experience of owning a nice luxury band (but we are not obsessed by 'luxury' brand thing just to be clear)

One wildcard one of my friend threw over the weekend is:
  1. Keep the Jetta
  2. Sell Ecosport, and buy a used 328i or Mini Cooper S (even better!)
So, we get to retain the car we love + also buy a fun premium car. It still means 2 Germans though + my wifey is opposed to buying used. What about this?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 27th October 2020 at 22:28.
Old 27th October 2020, 22:51   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Two more things I didn't mention in the opening post:
We are also looking to upgrade because I am fed up with manual cars. While this is not something I'd take a knee jerk action on, everyday I get more and more convinced to get an automatic car. So, we are looking to change at least one of our cars to an automatic one.
Thanks for the clarification. This helps other BHPians understand the situation much better. If you MUST have an AT, go for the 330i blindfolded.

I'd personally keep a beater and sell the Jetta. The Ecosport is a fine beater as:
1. It is smaller - easier to drive and park in the congested areas of the city
2. It'll be cheaper to maintain compared to the Jetta (Though I'm not sure what major repairs were carried out in your car)
3. Might be the car you want for bad/flooded roads - the few days of the year when taking out your 330i might be a bad idea
4. Higher seating position will make driving an MT an effortless exercise

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 27th October 2020 at 22:52.
Old 28th October 2020, 00:21   #48
BHPian

Maybe a little late to the party!

But, you clearly love the jetta! Why part ways with things that you love?

It's ok to have two German cars in the garage! At least you can still fight over which car your want to drive with your wife and still win irrespective of what she chooses!

Selling either of the cars doesn't fetch you anything extra in terms of money. So don't part ways with something that you love.

Heck, if you're so hell bent on getting a city runner. Please buy an activa
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 02:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post

Heck, if you're so hell bent on getting a city runner. Please buy an activa
Haha. Sure thing! BTW, I did sneak in a comment in my opening post that I also ride Triumph Bonnie Street Twin, which my wife often relegates to Activa like duties!
Old 28th October 2020, 03:24   #50

Quote:
Ecosport is turning 5 next month, run about 35k kms, is in stock form.

The Ecosport had a complete engine overhaul 1.5 yrs ago
Wondering, what could have caused the Ecosport to get a complete engine overhaul at such low mileage.
Old 28th October 2020, 05:54   #51
BHPian

Ask yourself and wife,
If bimmer is away for a month or two, which car would you want to drive? And you'll have your answer.

One aspect noone has mentioned is safety. Jetta is definitely a safer car to be in. Be it city or highway.
Old 28th October 2020, 06:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
First of all - thanks for the overwhelming responses. It feels like I am not the only one trying to solve the conundrum. You guys are all helping in this. Thanks!

One wildcard one of my friend threw over the weekend is:
  1. Keep the Jetta
  2. Sell Ecosport, and buy a used 328i or Mini Cooper S (even better!)
So, we get to retain the car we love + also buy a fun premium car. It still means 2 Germans though + my wifey is opposed to buying used. What about this?
I don't think you should give up on your dreams. You only live once. If you want to replace your Jetta with a 330i, you should do it asap. Use the EcoSport as a beater car.

What you should also do..and here's the best part..is sell the Jetta to me.

Its so difficult to find a good pre worshipped car and I don't know where to start looking !! :(
Old 28th October 2020, 06:27   #53
BHPian

I'd keep both cars for now, buy the BMW, and then decide after 6-9 months with set milestones like km run
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 07:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

If the 330i makes sense from a financial standpoint, get it now. It doesn't make sense to wait for a product in this country, prices are only going to go up.

Besides, that 3er is a nice BMW. They really got the formula right after the slight disaster that was last gen. I still don't like the way this one looks from the front, but considering what is happening to other models from the stable currently, it is relatively better I guess.

That brings us to the other two cars. I would keep the EcoSport considering it's newer and also compliments the German better. Also, Ford isn't a runner like GM. They do spend effort to keep the entities successful even while disinvesting. Just look at JLR, Volvo etc. Also, I would put the service support of Ford higher than the overrated ones like Nexa or Hyundai.

Have fun!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 14:09   #55
BHPian

I have the same 2 cars . My jetta is 6 years old done 50k kms and tuned as well. Zero issue with the car . There is really no car below 30lacs that can possibly replace it and hence one of the main reasons I’m still keeping it. The ecosport was bought 2 years ago mainly for my mom for driver use and she needed something to get in and out with ease due to bee knee issue.she was using a Laura earlier.

Personally , I don’t think for 50 lacs ur getting a big value for the 330i. So check out the superb sport line with the tuning chip it’s in 228bhp putting in a very attractive place. I’m in the same situation and so few of the cars I’m considering are as follows and why

1. Skoda superb sportsline- value for money. Big spacious and has a good engine. With the chip it’s in 226bhp category and along with the dsg it’s a great car to drive.
2. Hyundai Tucson awd- another bang for the buck. For 32 lacs ur getting a awd with all the features you can think of. Am a regular commuter to the hills so having a suv would definitely be an advantage for me. There is still no official confirmation from Hyundai about the global facelift for India.
3. Used Volvo S60 polestar for around 33 lacs. If ur fond of driving , this is a great car to get . Peppy engine and sporty looks. Has all the safety features one can think of along with a good cabin . Only issue is resale value after a few years.
Old 29th October 2020, 17:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

As you guys prepare for final suggestions (?), here are pics of our current rides:

Jetta:Thinking of 330i. Sell Jetta or EcoSport?-1754ee7265c048999ef7f50d0007a8f9.jpeg

Ecosport:Thinking of 330i. Sell Jetta or EcoSport?-4f05d488c24f44c691002b985c7dce47.jpeg

Current mindset trend now is to let go of the Jetta, and retain Ecosport as beater!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 29th October 2020 at 17:45.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 17:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you guys prepare for final suggestions (?), here are pics of our current rides:

Current mindset trend now is to let go of the Jetta, and remain Ecosport as beater!
Worst possible outcome :(

Anyway some delhi BHPian is going to pick up a fantastic ride for a song when you sell the Jetta
Old 29th October 2020, 18:33   #58
BHPian

My opinions are as follows:

1. 330i isnt a significant upgrade to the Jetta which is a great old school car already. So, in case you are selling Jetta, go for the 530d (pre-owned if new one is out of budget) and use the Ecosport as a beater. Also, i feel that if someone is worried about the upkeep cost of Jetta/Octavia, he shouldnt be touching BMW, Audi and Mercedes cars so soon.

2. But, instead of selling a great car that you love (Jetta) for not so significant upgrade (3 series), i will suggest you to keep the Jetta and replace the Ecosport with the Polo TSI AT which will be a great fun to drive, practical, reliable city car which can also be used as a beater. Sell the Jetta in the future when 5 series, X3/X5 are within budget.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 20:22   #59
BHPian

I'd say sell the Jetta and keep the Ecosport as its a compact SUV and would help you on your trips to wilderness. You would not be able to take your 330i everywhere or for that matter the Jetta looking at pathetic conditions of Indian roads. We have a 530d and an Endeavour 3.2 Titanium in garage, both have differences in performance and driving pleasure but we get to have best of both the worlds. There are places where i can't even think of taking a sedan, that is where an SUV with superior ground clearance helps. At the end of the day each car would serve you with it's unique characteristics and you would definitely grow the love of owing the both!
Old 29th October 2020, 20:31   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Sell the Ecosport. It's just a year younger than the Jetta anyway.

You mentioned that both of you drive and that's a factor in me suggesting this. The Ecosport would probably make more sense to retain as a "second car" but if both are going to be driven, why not keep the better car? A 180 bhp Jetta that both of you seem to love...is it even a choice?

hserus and GTO's "sensible" suggestion also makes a lot of sense but since when are we sensible about our car purchases anyway!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks