Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2021, 16:26   #76
BHPian

Re: 2 million rupees, and still not a "complete" car for me to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think people here are into the trap of Analysis-Paralysis! I have owned cars which a lot of analysis would have rejected. Bought one which was the most logical one, hated it the most, sold it within a year with a huge depreciation hit.

I have figured out a simple funda for car purchase, when it comes to choosing between Head and Heart, GO WITH WHAT THE HEART WANTS! You never regret it. Also, sub-consciously you reject the car which your heart doesnt want by frivolous reasons.

Your car may be high maintenance, low-GC, etc, etc. But do you feel happy when you drive your car?

Pick the car which has an YES to this question.
I love the quote agree with 2000rpm on this. Pick the car which your heart says, so that how long you drive the car, you don't have the regret that "only if I had selected...."

so coming to the options, you seem to have done a thorough study on the available market and the possible options and looks like you are inching towards the Hector and Harrier. Adding my 2 cents, first of all, I am not endorsing the Seltos, because I own one, it's purely because of the happiness I get by driving this machine. Yes, it has certain niggles the most obvious one being the ride stiffness, but considering the driveability, it's a sheer pleasure to drive the Seltos. I endorse the MT 1.4 Turbo, and the DCT is equally punchy as well. Yes the GNCP rating is a real worry and needs to given enough thought before deciding.
ThatCarGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 18:45   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Therefore, while I am still undecided which one it is going to be , I thought I will initiate this discussion here and pick on the mind of more "tuned" people. How I wish we have choice of competent sedans between 15 to 20 lacs, I would have not even considered a Cross Over and would have waited for my finances to meet the threshold of a true blue SUV. ...
Other members have mentioned this and I repeat there is no perfect car. Life is full of compromises. You need to pick your battles.

I was in the same situation, budget of 22 lakhs with a petrol engine and not many options. So I shortlisted the available cars in the budget.

My shortlist was:

Jeep Compass: Its a nice SUV. Very butch and heavily built but lackluster drive performance. To be specific, its not under powered but its not something I would want to continue driving after a drive.

Seltos: Nice exteriors and black interiors are smashing. The drive of the 1.4 Manual put a smile on my face. Safety and GNCAP and warning of niggles went out of my mind. The Sales consultant had to remind me that other customers were waiting twice after an hour long drive and after getting back to the showroom I still wanted to drive a little more.

Creta: Very nice interiors and top notch quality but very weird looking from the outside (my opinion as my wife loves the looks of the new Creta). We didn't drive it as expected the performance to be same as the Seltos.

Civic: My dream car but performance let it down. Booked for a long test drive and returned in 5 mins.

The above description should make it clear which car I chose. I booked a GTX+ Steel Grey Seltos and am currently waiting for delivery.

I just have problem with the chrome front and back (near the badge) on the car but that nothing that a wrap won't fix.

I would say rather than analyze the car with pros cons and features, take it for a drive. After all cars are meant to be driven. Forget features, forget gizmos, the car that makes you wanna drive it again is the car you want. If two or more cars satisfy the criteria, then you can look at the features to justify the value proposition.

Also if KIA guys are reading, please expedite my delivery, I have a waiting of 3 months of which 1.5 months have passed. Oh and if I had a bigger budget, I would have gone for the Karoq. That looks and drives like a dream.
shomeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 18:45   #78
BHPian

The upcoming ZS petrol would be an interesting fit. Expected to be priced under 18L on road for top end variant, it can be a decent compact SUV.
Old 3rd February 2021, 19:50   #79

Just to add on to the discussion, one major reason for all this is simple economics - Inflation.

From a quick google search I've found out that a Fiesta ZXi in 2010 costed around 7.76 lakhs ex-showroom. Due to inflation, 1 2010 rupee = 1.95 2021 rupee, so around 95% inflation over a span of 10 years which is par course for high-growth economies.

Hence, the 7.76 lakhs paid in 2010 can't directly translate into today's currency. In 2021 Rupees, you've paid 15.132 lakhs. Keeping this information in mind compare the following prices -

Honda City ZX CVT (top of the range) - 14.64 lakhs
Hyundai Creta SX 1.4t DCT - 19.18 lakhs
MG Hector Sharp 1.5P DCT - 20.90 lakhs
(All prices are Delhi showroom)

The prices seem at least a little more reasonable don't they? The sub-20L segment is what the sub-10L segment used to be around a decade ago all due to the wonders of inflation, and that's the reason why it is not an upgrade option, rather just a replacement for your Fiesta!

PS - My figures might not be completely right, just used a quick google search to create this post!
koyomi_araragi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 01:31   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyomi_araragi View Post
Just to add on to the discussion, one major reason for all this is simple economics - Inflation.

From a quick google search I've found out that a Fiesta ZXi in 2010 costed around 7.76 lakhs ex-showroom. Due to inflation, 1 2010 rupee = 1.95 2021 rupee, so around 95% inflation over a span of 10 years which is par course for high-growth economies.
Talk about coincidence. I was looking at some old paperwork and came across the ford price list from 2007, when I bought my Ikon. Your calculation appears almost spot on. Taking the Endeavor as an example, since it is still in the market, the on-road price for the top end 4x4 trim has increased from around 19 lakhs to about 43 lakhs today. Pretty much in-line with the inflation figures.
2 million rupees, and still not a "complete" car for me to buy?-fordpricelist2007.jpg
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 07:51   #81
BHPian

Most of the petrols in the 20 Lac+ segment are known to have thirsty engines. Especially the Jeep and Mahindra. Why don't you consider the compact SUV? Tata Nexon is a great choice. Even the XUV 300 petrol AT model has been launched. For the XUV 300, you're gonna miss out on boot space but the engine is fantastic. For Nexon, you're gonna have good boot space, but the engine is not that great. The Koreans (Creta and Seltos) have a good balance, but they've got only 3star safety. I feel, Maruti XL 6 is also one of the best choices ignored by many, but it has a very old 4speed auto and a mere 3star safety. Also, please check the new skoda kushaq vs volkswagen taigun twins. Seems they look awesome and are great to drive.
Old 4th February 2021, 08:43   #82
BHPian

The S-cross has a solid (European) build, good ground clearance and decent rear seat room, but no rear AC vents or sunroof.
Safety wise it has 4 disc brakes but is missing ESP, traction control and AWD, and only has 2 airbags.
From personal experience, the 1.5L K15B engine is great for quick city overtaking and can run at 100-120kmph on the highway without any issues. NVH levels are on the higher side.
Is it a 20 million car? No.
It is good value for money though.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 08:49   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyomi_araragi View Post

Hence, the 7.76 lakhs paid in 2010 can't directly translate into today's currency. In 2021 Rupees, you've paid 15.132 lakhs. Keeping this information in mind compare the following prices -

Honda City ZX CVT (top of the range) - 14.64 lakhs
Hyundai Creta SX 1.4t DCT - 19.18 lakhs
MG Hector Sharp 1.5P DCT - 20.90 lakhs
(All prices are Delhi showroom)

The prices seem at least a little more reasonable don't they? The sub-20L segment is what the sub-10L segment used to be around a decade ago all due to the wonders of inflation, and that's the reason why it is not an upgrade option, rather just a replacement for your Fiesta!

PS - My figures might not be completely right, just used a quick google search to create this post!
You are spot on but you know where it pinches people? Their salary in 2020 should have increased by 95% when compared to 2010 JUST TO factor for inflation and none whatsoever related to their individual and their company's performance. Also this should have happened on an yearly basis along with the ever increasing inflation.

So for a crude comparison, a typical IT employee who was able to afford an Ford Fiesta in 2010 should have seen his salary increase by 200%+ in 2020 to factor inflation and his own performance related increments. If that's not the case then RIP to aspirations.

In any case, I don't think there's such thing as a complete car. Just be clear on requirements and prioritize them. Things that were considered to be a luxury in 2010 are standard features in 2020. There's compromises to be made at any price.

Last edited by kiku007 : 4th February 2021 at 08:51.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 09:20   #84
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
I feel that the used market opens up a wide variety of options for you, sir. A used Octavia or Superb make for great sedans and you can find low-mileage, new examples for less than 20L for sure.
I second that opinion. In my opinion, buying a new car would mean taking the massive depreciation hit. Besides, we are being overcharged for what we get to begin with.

Used market is king, especially if you're able to find something with the warranty intact. Yes, Octavia and Superb are excellent options. If you push the envelope a bit, you could also foray into 3 series/C class as well.
Old 4th February 2021, 10:48   #85
BHPian

Quote:
If you have come thus far, I can not thank you enough. I know it has been a long post. But if you have, I am sure you concur with the notion that I have developed that if you are out in the market with a 2 Million budget you dont get a car which ticks all the boxes. Harrier doesnt have petrol and Hector doesnt have Diesel automatic for example. One car gives you a lot of features but is either new or lacks on other things the other car just simply feels over priced (case in point Harrier or Compass).

Therefore, while I am still undecided which one it is going to be , I thought I will initiate this discussion here and pick on the mind of more "tuned" people. How I wish we have choice of competent sedans between 15 to 20 lacs, I would have not even considered a Cross Over and would have waited for my finances to meet the threshold of a true blue SUV. Alas, that's not the case and doesn't seem to get any better any time soon. Unless some of you know if a real good contender is coming any time soon?
Hi,

I loved your detailed explanation; it was an interesting read. Following are my points of view:-

1) Perfection is a myth. You'll never get a car that ticks all your requirements because no two individuals will have the same wish list
2) What's the intended use of your car? In my case, it's road trips / highway drives. I'd evaluated Hector, Seltos, Compass & Harrier but settled on the Harrier, notwithstanding all its niggles. Simply because of the confidence your imbued with with its safety & driving dynamics at the price point I was looking at. Truth be told, I still get irritated with all its niggles but the drive makes up for it.
3) Finally, my advice would be to focus on what your mind says.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th February 2021 at 10:53. Reason: Trimmed long post quote + extra smiley removed
Old 4th February 2021, 11:37   #86
BANNED

I would suggest you to stick to the base variant as most of the cars in the 10-20L bracket have most of the necessary options in their base variants themselves. What one has to pay for any car is over 70% Tax. It must have been lower a decade ago. That is the reason the cars were offering much higher value then than now. I too have decided,God be willing, like most others to use the current car to the maximum extent possible. I have ardently taken up cycling to be prepared for some some sane laws that are bound to be cranked out in the future.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 4th February 2021 at 11:42.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 12:55   #87
BHPian

Fantastic thread and suggestions. I am exactly in the same situation as New.Novice. as I'm stuck with a brilliantly ride and handling (and looking ) Fiesta Petrol 1.6S. I've been in the same dilemma on what would be a worthy upgrade and what budget should be good. During my last week longish drive to Karnataka and Goa (details coming soon), my wife even suggested "Should we just buy another Fiesta again?"

Come in the pandemic and the lockdown, which ensured I had ample time to think over and up the budget a little (from 20L to 30L). I have set my eyes on the updated Compass and soon to be launched C5 Aircross, both of which will still require a further stretch of the budget. As mentioned by many others, there is no perfect car which will tick all the boxes. Each manufacturer will pull up a gimmick or two based on which they expect to sell their products.
My suggestion would be to go back to the drawing board, get it down to only 2 or 3 choices, take longish test drives, buy the one that makes you happy.
Old 4th February 2021, 13:19   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Prologue

When I bought my Ford Fiesta Zxi (what the Ford called Classic later) in 2010, I articulated my joy on the pages of Team-Bhp. They are still buried some where here. Between 2010 and 2021 (oh boy ain't we glad 2020 is finally over) that joy only went one way and I don't have to tell you which way is that.
You are spot on in your assessment and I think it's a range of capabilities that you expect from a car that is not satisfied. I get similar feedback when I talk to owners of the old 1.6L Baleno as well. They too feel that to match the capabilities they would have to currently punch way above their budget.

That said one car that would really satisfy similar urges in me would be the Skoda Rapid TSI. Yes the service is iffy but seeing that you have lived with a Ford should not be too much of a difference. Unfortunately in sedans that's about it. I don't think any of the compact SUVs are going to be vfm anytime soon as long as people are willing to pay the premium for them. The sub- compact SUV is a different story though with the Magnite and the Liger going to be real vfm champions with a decent experience.

The Tiguan and the Kushaq promise good things but I'm sure a premium will be extracted. Another SUV is the Karoq if it earns a vfm price courtesy local manufacture.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 4th February 2021 at 13:22.
Old 4th February 2021, 14:02   #89

Its like when sheldon in big bang theory is stuck, howard helps by adding a loop counter and selecting a 'least objectionable activity' - you need just this. Make a list of things you can live with in a car and things without.
Old 5th February 2021, 00:33   #90

Quote:
Therefore, while I am still undecided which one it is going to be , I thought I will initiate this discussion here and pick on the mind of more "tuned" people. How I wish we have choice of competent sedans between 15 to 20 lacs, I would have not even considered a Cross Over and would have waited for my finances to meet the threshold of a true blue SUV. Alas, that's not the case and doesn't seem to get any better any time soon. Unless some of you know if a real good contender is coming any time soon?
Faced the exact same problem. My father and I wanted to buy a car. We had a max budget of ~20 lacs. However, we did not want to go in for the Seltos or the Creta. We were primarily looking for a sedan. We currently own a Verna hence both city and Verna were out. Dad was looking for an upgrade.

Civic production has stopped. Plus we already have a civic at home. Drove the compass - too expensive, didn't try the hector and liked the Harrier. But with the NCR issue thought we'd wait for the petrol. I guess that's not happening.

We've put our purchase on hold now. We're waiting for the Octavia to come in. Hopefully a decent variant will be offered for 20-21 lacs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks