Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 14:01   #31
BHPian

re: Ideal car in the 15-23 lakh range?

I too am a 6'2" and most Sedans are uncomfortable to drive. I test drove Honda City 3-4 times and have to push the driving seat to the lowest to be able to control the seating. However, back seat has no issues at all. Even when I kept the driving seat at my convenience, I could sit at the back very comfortably. So, if it is the back seat which will acquire most of your time, go for City ZX CVT.

I would advise against Yaris that it is being discontinued and except for 7 air bags, it does not have any distinct feature over its competitors.

If you don't want to explore pre-owned market, I would say take another Test Drive of Elantra and see if you like it. It may have a facelift next year but that also means you may get some handy discount on it. I feel Tucson and Elantra are Hyundai's only competition to German cars in terms of their overall quality. You can identify an Elantra from far because of its great stance. The reason why Elantra is not sold in good numbers is because anyone who has that kind of money to spare, prefers a Compass, Harrier or Safari these days. Since you already have a mid size cross, I would say go for Elantra or City (if not Elantra).
kaustubhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 14:32   #32
BHPian

Given that you need a petrol sedan with back seat comfort that will be driven by the driver, look no further than a not-so-old pre-owned Toyota Corolla Altis. Given your budget you can look at the most recent pre-owned examples.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.a...a-altis-421721
Old 6th September 2021, 15:13   #33
BHPian

For Kolkata roads and narrow alleys, it is Innova Crysta petrol auto only.

It surprises me how neatly the big, bulky Innova takes a turn. I could see all other big cars need to maneuver twice at least, but the Innova takes the U-turn or the sharp bends in one shot, moves through narrow sarpentile lanes.

The car is big, comfortable, rides the potholes and side pillow shaped speed brakers so well.

Buy the red wine coloured (garnet red I guess) Innova Crysta. This colour looks good for the White number plate Innova. There is a bronze colour available as well.

Last edited by RijuC : 6th September 2021 at 15:20.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:18   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which AT car for my boss? Shortlisted City & Creta

With that budget, options are fairly limited for his requirements.
The XL6 / Brezza / S-Cross are good contenders, with the S-Cross being the preferred choice for better build, ride & handling.
If he is willing to stray from Maruti and go into some riskier brands : the Duster 1.3 Turbo CVT could be a good option as well after discounts.

Not suggesting Kushaq / Taigun / Creta / Seltos as they would be above budget, and same for sedans - lower ingress egress in case of Ciaz, City, Verna, etc. Yaris could be an interesting option if he is ok with the space & egress : one of the last proper budget friendly Toyotas, as most of their new mass market models will be jointly developed with Suzuki.

Ford EcoSport also looses out on backseat as do Venue, Sonet, etc. Nexon & XUV come with AMT which are frankly worse than the 4 speed TC on the S-Cross.

Interestingly, if he is open to used : the options really do open up to include the Corolla, Tucson, & CRV too - failing which the facelift previous gen Creta Auto with low mileage and factory warranty if available in your budget.
Old 6th September 2021, 15:20   #35

I was in the same boat since January this year until I picked up a pre-owned Octavia vRS230 (Yes, I was lucky to find one and luckier to find one in top notch condition ) couple of months back. A car like Octavia vRS is essentially 2 differently behaving cars for one price (In S mode, it feels like it's a completely different car) and I can't be more happy with my decision. I explored both new and pre-owned route and I started to appreciate how much more VFM pre-owned route gives if you spend enough time and effort to find a good one. I had shortlisted Elantra in the new category though it had a neutral character, it's a global model, Elantra (and Tucson) is from a different stable of hyundai and are highly reliable with better quality. I restricted my search to BMW 320d, Audi A4 and Octavia in pre-owned bucket. The current Elantra is not as weird as the global model and IMO, is one of the last model from Hyundai that carries the beautiful fluidic design and a couple like on Elantra makes it more attractive. It might be a sensible choice for the features and gizmos it offers at the price point if you are taking the new car route.
shyam_230 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:23   #36
BHPian

Mate - I've been watching this same space (~15L) to replace my 9-year-old Romanian friend (the Duster) for a while now. My issues with the Seltos/Creta/Kushaq/Taigun are that they're smaller with lots of cosmetics. The Hector/Harrier are a bit biggish but offer nothing great.

Am currently eyeing the XUV 700 cos the features offered are unmatched, but obviously would not want to get into the first lot knowing M&M/Tata etc. The MG Astor could be an option but seems small. My suggestion is wait and watch the 700 and then take a call. It certainly offers all the wow factors with a Skyroof, smart handles, smart connectivity, ADAS features, driver memory seat, 360-degree camera, 10.25" infotainment, 12-speaker Sony system, 7 airbags, etc

Cheers!

Last edited by Clouseau : 6th September 2021 at 15:29. Reason: additions
Clouseau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Few assumptions since the following data is not provided-

1) <5 people will be using it
2) Car will be majorly driven in city only.
3) Automatics are a necessity (except the AMT)
7 seater would be a better option.
No, it will be doing 600km highway trip once a month, Chennai to Bengaluru.
Yes, automatics only, that too a good responsive gearbox and equally capable engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatin247 View Post
I would suggest to go with a car having CVT/IVT gearbox. As usage is less, he should go with petrol only.
If he wants an SUV then he can go with Creta or Seltos and if he is okay with sedan Verna/City would be a great pick.
With sedan he can save some money too.
Only if Creta and Seltos were safer. Heck I assume 10 year old Ertiga is more safe than these coffins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
With that budget, options are fairly limited for his requirements.
The XL6 / Brezza / S-Cross are good contenders, with the S-Cross being the preferred choice for better build, ride & handling.
If he is willing to stray from Maruti and go into some riskier brands : the Duster 1.3 Turbo CVT could be a good option as well after discounts.

Not suggesting Kushaq / Taigun / Creta / Seltos as they would be above budget, and same for sedans - lower ingress egress in case of Ciaz, City, Verna, etc. Yaris could be an interesting option if he is ok with the space & egress : one of the last proper budget friendly Toyotas, as most of their new mass market models will be jointly developed with Suzuki.

Interestingly, if he is open to used : the options really do open up to include the Corolla, Tucson, & CRV too - failing which the facelift previous gen Creta Auto with low mileage and factory warranty if available in your budget.
Seems like duster doesn't match the criteria of reliable and nation wide service network.
Yes XL6 seems to be a nice option.
Kushaq and Taigun are couple of sizes smaller than Ertiga, he will not be happy.
Used car is not an option
City is under consideration but that too has high chances of being ruled out due to low seat height.

Any other options guys?
Old 6th September 2021, 18:03   #38
BHPian

I can only see one upgrade he'll be satisfied with coming from an Ertiga and that is the Innova Crysta. Preferably diesel but even the 2.7 Petrol mill is pretty decent(if he doesn't care too much about the fuel economy). He might need to stretch his budget by 20-25% but will easily fetch the difference in resale which is, simply put, legendary on the Crysta. It frankly seems like the only true option to satisfy all the requirements.

Last edited by porsche_guy : 6th September 2021 at 18:05.
porsche_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 18:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
I can only see one upgrade he'll be satisfied with coming from an Ertiga and that is the Innova Crysta. Preferably diesel but even the 2.7 Petrol mill is pretty decent(if he doesn't care too much about the fuel economy). He might need to stretch his budget by 20-25% but will easily fetch the difference in resale which is, simply put, legendary on the Crysta. It frankly seems like the only true option to satisfy all the requirements.
Yes crysta fetches good value in used car market but petrol version might not. Still I will communicate the same.
Old 6th September 2021, 18:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

I don't know the availability in your region, but an used Hexa is definitely worth a shot. BHPians like Varun_Hexaguy and others are always praising it for its comfort and I'm indifferent to his opinion. It might be a diesel, but it matches most of the other criteria.

I'm pretty sure if he is buying it used, it won't depreciate much and 2-3 year old, low-mileage Hexas go for around 17-19L. If he isn't open to going for used vehicles, he's better off with an Innova, porscheguy has clearly mentioned why. If the Innova is out of budget, let him go for the XL6 or Marazzo.
Old 6th September 2021, 19:52   #41
BHPian

Well there is one choice that we can debate. Crysta diesel. What if we convince him that this diesel is worth every penny spent over petrol. All requirements will be fulfilled.

7 seater yes
Tourer yes
Nation wide service network yes
Reliable yes
Automatic yes
Fast automatic yes
Mileage yes
Egress ingress? Too high?
Safer yes
Resale Super
Petrol NO
Hispaniola is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 20:03   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Your inclination to skip the City is very well placed. Yesterday I saw one during my morning walks, hardly a year old going by the number plate series. The paint looks like it is a 10 year old car. There are a number of shallow scratches where the paint has been ripped off totally, I think an equivalent impact would not have shown so badly on other cars like my Thar. A headlamp element is broken too. Agreed, the owner parks the car outside generally and is probably a rash driver, but the car has aged ao badly due to very poor paint quality and flimsy plastics.

My recommendation is to get a used Jeep Compass - A 2018 or 2019 BSIV Diesel 4x4 it will fit bang in the middle of your budget. Excellent build quality, fantastic highway manners and superb safety features. Only thing is, the Diesel did not come with an auto until much later along with the BSIV transition and those would be expensive.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 6th September 2021 at 20:07.
Old 6th September 2021, 20:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispaniola View Post
7 seater would be a better option.
No, it will be doing 600km highway trip once a month, Chennai to Bengaluru.
Yes, automatics only, that too a good responsive gearbox and equally capable engine.
How about the Hector + CVT in this case ? It will seat 4 adults and 2 kids, has a very good ingress egress due to completely flat floor, more than adequate petrol engine (considering comparison is with Ertiga), CVT= reliable gearbox and I have seldom read about Niggles or any serious reliability concerns in the MG products. Quick glance at OLX shows excellent resale for the 2 year old Hector's. But long term this needs to be gauged.

But this seems to fit your requirements to a T.
Old 6th September 2021, 22:18   #44

Sadly, there are no interesting sedan options left in your budget anymore. That’s just the way the market is today. Your options are going to be the SUVs. Since you already have a Creta, why not check out the Jeep Compass Petrol AT. Your usage is going to be limited within the city limits and since it is going to be chauffeur-driven the gear box (apparently it’s sluggish) too won’t be a problem. The car is very solidly built so should easily last you 7-10 years that you’re planning to keep it for. Only downside would be not being able to sit 3 abreast for long. But again, since your usage would be limited to the city, that shouldn’t be a deal breaker.

Other option would be to go the pre-owned way which you’re open to. A Fortuner or Endeavour will satisfy every need you’ve mentioned.
Badi gadi feels? Check!
Sitting 3 abreast? Check!
Enough space for 6 footers? Check!

P.S. you won’t be the one worrying about the size of the vehicle since it’s going to be chauffeur driven.
Old 7th September 2021, 00:21   #45
BHPian

Suggest you to Test drive Jeep Compass. Easily the best car in the upper segment of your budget just because it's Jeep
Buy an auto DCT if possible. Else Honda city should be fine with actually better features and comparable cabin space
sprinter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks