Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2023, 05:26   #91
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Ideal car in the 15-23 lakh range?

We had a few test drives yesterday and here is what it came own to:

1. Kia Seltos CVT/ Diesel AT
The HTX CVT variant isn't the most feature-rich, but the GTX+ Diesel AT has almost all the features one could ask for, Considering the fact that the CVT is only available in HTX, and being not too sure about going for a Diesel, we decided to wait for the facelift and make a decision.

2. Jeep Compass
Only Diesel is available now, and the automatic variants are too pricey, moreover, Jeep isn't in the best position in India right now, therefore eliminated from the list.

3. Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder/ MS Grand Vitara Hybrid
You have to wait over a year to get your hands on a Hyryder Hyrbid and a minimum 4 months for a Hyryder Neo Drive unless there are cancellations and you are flexible with variants, Moreover the fit, finish, and quality are not worth the price, The Grand Vitara is available much quicker but it is the twin of the Hyryder and so both were eliminated from our list.

4. Mahindra XUV700
Waiting periods are through the roof unless you are flexible with budget and variants, moreover, the base spec variants seem to have higher waiting periods, and the feel-good features are reserved for the top-spec variants, moreover, the car seemed too big, Petrol is not frugal and hence decided to skip it, Eliminated from the list.

5. Hyundai Creta/ Alcazar
Felt like the most feature-rich for the price paid, and we were immediately sold, the top of the line SX(O) CVT was well within our budget and had almost all the features you could ask for right now, so the Creta impressed us and stays in our list. The Alcazar was deemed too big and hence skipped on it.

6. Tata Harrier/Safari
Even after a lot of calls, going to the showroom booking in advance, couldn't get a test drive, moreover, the sales team wasn't the best either, we had a look in our neighbors Harrier and it seemed too big like the XUV700, Moreover Diesel only and hence eliminated from the list.

7. MG Hector
Another very big car and the Chinese nameplate didn't inspire confidence given the fact that MG is indeed trying for selling the brand here in India, Hence eliminated.

Hence after a busy day of test drives, we finally trimmed down our list to two candidates, the Kia Seltos (the facelift is more likely to be considered) and the Hyundai Creta. After test-driving the manuals and automatics, we felt automatic is definitely the way to go, and sacrificing the same isn't the way to go with the ever-rising traffic in the cities. Moreover, the uncertainty around the future of Diesel cars makes us go towards the Petrol variants entirely, so now it's a wait-and-watch game, until the Facelift Seltos launches.

Now, the other part is the huge discounts Kia is offering, we are getting the HTX CVT for well under 18 lakhs, 17.75 lakhs to be precise, and is a huge discount over the usual 19.45 lakhs on-road price, the discounts on the GTX+ Variants are similar too, selected corporates get even more discounts, but that isn't applicable for us.

So now the question is the Creta SX IVT costs around 19.75 lakhs which is almost comparable to the HTX CVT of the Seltos, now the Creta feels hugely overpriced taking the same into consideration, also the fact that Creta has no offers is a point worth noting, so this is the main reason why, we decided to wait for the Seltos facelift so that we can get a more feature-laden Variant (full option) rather than settling for the HTX, or in case of Creta going for the SX(O). The comparison between the facelift Seltos (which will definitely have no offers whatsoever) with the Creta (which also has no offers) seems to be a better comparison than the current scenario.

So now it's the case of either getting the Seltos IVT and saving a lot, going for the Creta SX(O) IVT at 21.5 lakhs or the SX IVT at 19.75 lakhs or waiting for the new Seltos and seeing how it goes!

Thank you all for your insights, and do let me know any of your observations on which variant to consider!
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 09:21   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
We had a few test drives yesterday and here is what it came own to:

1. Kia Seltos CVT/ Diesel AT we decided to wait for the facelift and make a decision.
Right call. Facelift is just around the corner, will bring the new 1.5 turbo petrol from Verna.

Quote:
2. Jeep Compass
Only Diesel is available now, and the automatic variants are too pricey, moreover, Jeep isn't in the best position in India right now, therefore eliminated from the list.
It is objectively the best car here, and is worth the price in my opinion as long as you are open to buying diesel. Company has always been profitable in India, and I don’t see it going anywhere.

Quote:
3. Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder/ MS Grand Vitara Hybrid Moreover the fit, finish, and quality are not worth the price, The Grand Vitara is available much quicker but it is the twin of the Hyryder and so both were eliminated from our list.
Petrol variants of Grand Vitara are cheaper than Hyryder. Car is very good for mixed all round use, and is very rough road friendly. Superb suspension. Do take a test drive. Maruti dealers are far more reasonable and professional, while their Toyota counterparts are absolute jerks.

Quote:
4. Mahindra XUV700
Waiting periods are through the roof unless you are flexible with budget and variants, moreover, the base spec variants seem to have higher waiting periods, and the feel-good features are reserved for the top-spec variants, moreover, the car seemed too big, Petrol is not frugal and hence decided to skip it, Eliminated from the list.
Car will be available for immediate/quick delivery if you are open to paying premium or buying accessories. AX5 variant is excellent value for money. Petrol is the most powerful engine here and has the best performance of the lot, superb refinement too, but obviously at the cost of fuel efficiency. Take a test drive.

Quote:
5. Hyundai Creta/ Alcazar
Felt like the most feature-rich for the price paid, and we were immediately sold, the top of the line SX(O) CVT was well within our budget and had almost all the features you could ask for right now, so the Creta impressed us and stays in our list. The Alcazar was deemed too big and hence skipped on it.
Creta CVT is a city commuter and nothing more. A damn good city commuter, but gutless on highways. Also, a facelift model is not far away. It will bring the new 1.5 turbo petrol from the Verna along with other changes.

Quote:
6. Tata Harrier/Safari
Even after a lot of calls, going to the showroom booking in advance, couldn't get a test drive, moreover, the sales team wasn't the best either, we had a look in our neighbors Harrier and it seemed too big like the XUV700, Moreover Diesel only and hence eliminated from the list.
Facelift model with major changes to interiors and most likely with the new 1.5 turbo petrol is coming soon.

Quote:
7. MG Hector
Another very big car and the Chinese nameplate didn't inspire confidence given the fact that MG is indeed trying for selling the brand here in India, Hence eliminated.
MG is not selling the brand. They are being forced to sell part of the shareholding as Government of India is otherwise not allowing investment to come in from the Chinese parent, which the need to expand operations. Pls refer the related thread. The current Halol plant continues to work at full capacity. Hector is an excellent product and competes purely on merit, on its own right. Do take a test drive.

In this segment, right now, unless you are not blown away by the overall package of Hector or XUV700 or Compass, or need only a basic city commuter(Grand Vitara petrol or Creta CVT), it is best to wait for a few months. You’ll also have the all new upcoming Nexon to further mix up your choices. It is expected to debut the new 1.2 direct injection turbo petrol and ditch the AMT for a proper automatic. It’s space, comfort and features will be competitive against Creta and Co.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 21st June 2023 at 09:25.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 18:20   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
In this segment, right now, unless you are not blown away by the overall package of Hector or XUV700 or Compass, or need only a basic city commuter(Grand Vitara petrol or Creta CVT), it is best to wait for a few months. You’ll also have the all-new upcoming Nexon to further mix up your choices. It is expected to debut the new 1.2 direct injection turbo petrol and ditch the AMT for a proper automatic. Its space, comfort and features will be competitive against Creta and Co.
The Facelift Seltos with 1.5 Turbo Petrol DCT in the fully loaded trim, is what I am eagerly waiting for and with the launch on 4th July, I had already made a pre-booking with the dealership on 13th June, being the first on the list in my district, just to get my hands on it in the first lot itself!

The Compass seems a well-sorted car, with a powerful engine, good quality materials, and the Jeep Brand! but the 2.5 lakhs discount they are pouring in on it literally surprised me, I was thinking why would a brand need to shell out such huge discounts? Anyways hope a test drive will change my mind!

As regards the Hyryder and Grand Vitara, Yes, I too felt the driving dynamics to be superb much better than the Creta and the Seltos, but the cheap plastics and excessive part sharing with cheaper Maruti models put me off, haven't test driven the Full Hybrid though!

As regards the availability of the XUV700, I know that you can get it quicker, as a matter of fact, my cousin got the Fully loaded XUV700 AX7 Diesel AT AWD luxury Pack within a week's notice, he had to go for a different color though! So with your recommendation, I will indeed get a test drive of the Petrol!

Yes, the Creta is also due a facelift sometime in 2024, so with that in mind, what is your opinion on either a Diesel AT Alcazar or a 1.5 Turbo Petrol DCT Alcazar?

The Harrier and Safari with a Petrol engine seem interesting, Let me see!

Yes, I understand your point, I will look at the MG Hector too, and get a test drive.

I don't mind waiting a few months maybe till the end of 2023, or January 2024, but no longer than that, My City S Diesel MT is a 2014 model, and I am getting above 6 lakhs for it! so once the 10-year barrier crosses, There will definitely be a sharp decline in value, and with the growing aversion towards Diesels, I would like to get the most value from it while I still can!, Moreover, car prices are being revised every quarter and new launches are raising the bar even higher, so I don't know if waiting more than 6-7 months will be worth it!

As regards Nexon, I am not interested in sub-4metre SUVs, and prefer them to be around the 4.3 m to 4.5 m length, may have to adjust for the ones larger like XUV700, Safari, Hector, etc.

Now in the above 4 Metre Segment, I feel the Creta, Harrier/Safari are the ones awaiting a facelift, with the Seltos already confirmed, so Let's wait and see!

Finally A huge thanks to @Shreyans_Jain for your great insights, it surely helps to get expert advice like yours! And many thanks to @yedukrishnan199 for posing my exact dilemma! we are literally in the same boat! With this thread, both of us can get a solution and move on!

The funny part is we advice people on the same thing in other posts, but when it comes to our family, we are extra cautious, I guess knowing something about cars makes you so!

Anyways all inputs and insights are truly welcome!
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 18:51   #94
BHPian

Hello guys, needed some expert Team-BHP opinion on an upcoming car buying decision. My dad's company will be providing him with a new car since he has been promoted and the budget is of 12.5 lacs ex-showroom Vapi, Guj. Now if we want a car which is above this budget, we would need to put out own money on top of it, which my dad is ready to pay as it will be mostly the last car before retiring and he wants the top end variant with all the bells and whistles.
Now we already have a 2019 Venue S DCT, which we will keep as well.
Coming to the options that I have shortlisted: (Automatic only)
1. Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT ( Dad's current inclination but I feel it's the same car as our current one, but with extra features and different design)
2. Maruti Suzuki Fronx 1.0 AT
Need more options as well as reviews over the above mentioned models.
Thanks in advance
Old 23rd June 2023, 23:50   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Hello guys, needed some expert Team-BHP opinion on an upcoming car buying decision.
Kia Seltos top 2nd variant is 15 lakhs ex-showroom. It's a great option. Also featured in the list of cars that punch above their weight. (here's the link (Cars that punch above their weight in India!))
Old 24th June 2023, 01:06   #96
BHPian

Quote:

As regards the availability of the XUV700, I know that you can get it quicker, as a matter of fact, my cousin got the Fully loaded XUV700 AX7 Diesel AT AWD luxury Pack within a week's notice, he had to go for a different color though! So with your recommendation, I will indeed get a test drive of the Petrol!

The Harrier and Safari with a Petrol engine seem interesting, Let me see!

If opting for XUV 700 Petrol do make a mental note to check for ESP availability. It's available from AX5 Petrol AT and barring a sunroof i don't see AX5 as value for money variant to be honest with you. I would rather go for AX7 as there are glaring omission from the AX5 variant considering the price it commands. Also, unlike it's diesel counterpart XUV 700 Petrol doesn't get driving modes therefore it's always in fuel guzzler mode.

Harrier/Safari right now in Its 4th year is as stable as it can get but still there are few niggles here and there , they are not dealbrakers but there are so a facelift might come with its own share of new niggles. Moreover a 1.5 ltr engine for a vehicle as heavy as harrier or safari wouldn't make much sense but i would reserve further judgements till i get to drive it.
With that being said, i am more than satisfied and happy with my Harrier. I love to drive it, it's comfortable, spacious and has an amazing ride quality and not to forget that since it's a diesel automatic i get 11-12 kmpl in city with heavy traffic conditions.

Diesel vs Petrol : If you are going for a 2.0 ltr diesel engine be mindful of the fact that it does require some upkeep in terms of DEF fluid refueling at regular intervals and using vehicle continuously so that you don't get by DEF error one day out of the blue. Your usage should warrant a Diesel.
A 1.5 ltr diesel engine shouldn't be an issue and might not need a lot of upkeep, you can go for it as it might be one last hurrah with diesel before it rides away in sunset.

Cheers!
Old 24th June 2023, 05:49   #97
BHPian

An Update on my query! I test-drove all the cars mentioned, from the Jeep Compass to the Harrier and XUV700, right to the current-gen Creta and Seltos, and here are my observations.

I decided I am not going for a 7-seater and will settle with a 5-seater, the usage scenario is too limited for me to go for a 7-seater, the XUV700 AX7 variant is the variant with all the feel-good features, and it is pricey too, however, the size of the car is something I am not comfortable with and hence rejected.

The Harrier seemed a good product but my running doesn't necessitate a diesel and therefore I rejected it. The same was the case with the Jeep Compass.

The Chinese brand nameplate deterred our family members from going for the MG Hector even though we had a test drive and were quite happy with the car.

Finally, our choices have come down to the Creta and the Seltos, both are available in their fully loaded trims for under 25 lakhs and seem decent value for the features offered. I had already booked the Seltos and booked the Creta too, waiting for the facelift Seltos to arrive to finalize a decision.
Old 24th June 2023, 07:06   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Hello guys, needed some expert Team-BHP opinion on an upcoming car buying decision. My dad's company will be providing him with a new car since he has been promoted and the budget is of 12.5 lacs ex-showroom Vapi, Guj. Now if we want a car which is above this budget, we would need to put out own money on top of it, which my dad is ready to pay as it will be mostly the last car before retiring and he wants the top end variant with all the bells and whistles.
Now we already have a 2019 Venue S DCT, which we will keep as well.
Coming to the options that I have shortlisted: (Automatic only)
1. Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT ( Dad's current inclination but I feel it's the same car as our current one, but with extra features and different design)
2. Maruti Suzuki Fronx 1.0 AT
Need more options as well as reviews over the above mentioned models.
Thanks in advance
Considering the fact that you already have a 2019 Verna DCT, the Sonet DCT with the same engine and gearbox would feel too similar, so it would be better to go outside the Hyundai-Kia brands and get a Compact SUV to complement the sedan you already have.

Now coming to the options available, If you don't want to exceed the 12.5 lakh ex-showroom budget, then the Maruti Suzuki Brezza ZXI AT could be a good choice, else if you are willing to exceed the budget for all the bells and whistles then the Brezza ZXI+ AT can also be considered.

Now to the next option, as you already mentioned the Maruti Suzuki Fronx Alpha 1.0 Turbo AT costs around 12.98 lakhs ex-showroom and is the fully loaded variant, it comes with all the necessities you may require, but in the case of the Turbo AT Fronx, it ain't the most popular variant and therefore is available within a short time frame.

Now, coming back to Hyundai-Kia, the Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT, similar to the X-Line Variant I own aside from the cosmetic changes, is an excellent car worth the money, with all the features you need at 13.69 lakhs ex-showroom, a similar car would be the Venue N-Line N8 DCT at 13.66 lakhs ex-showroom, or even the standard Venue SX(O) DCT at 13.03 lakhs ex-showroom would be an option, but I wouldn't recommend any of the Hyundai-Kia cars owing to the fact that you already own one with the same engine and gearbox. But considering the dearth of options with proper automatic transmission in this segment, you may have to consider these if the Maruti's don't satisfy you.

Last edited by yedukrishnan199 : 24th June 2023 at 07:08.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 05:38   #99
BHPian

Hello, BHPians!, a quick update to my query, I received quite a tempting offer for the Jeep Compass Petrol DCT (I know it's discontinued, but it's from the last lot sent by Jeep) and it looks absolutely stunning! Now the Jeep dealers have promised me a high discount along with a 5-year extended warranty and a 3-year service package at a nominal price, Should I go for it over the Creta and the upcoming Seltos?

The interior fit and finish, quality, and safety levels are excellent even in this lower-spec trim, now I definitely need help deciding between going for the Korean Twins and the American SUV.

Any Compass owners and Creta/Seltos owners please help!
Old 25th June 2023, 05:51   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Hello, BHPians!, a quick update to my query, I received quite a tempting offer for the Jeep Compass Petrol DCT (I know it's discontinued, but it's from the last lot sent by Jeep) and it looks absolutely stunning! Now the Jeep dealers have promised me a high discount along with a 5-year extended warranty and a 3-year service package at a nominal price, Should I go for it over the Creta and the upcoming Seltos?

The interior fit and finish, quality, and safety levels are excellent even in this lower-spec trim, now I definitely need help deciding between going for the Korean Twins and the American SUV.

Wow! Jeep Compass is a car from a different price segment altogether, if you are getting it, that too an automatic at the price in the whereabouts of the top-spec Kia Seltos/ Hyundai Creta, I think it's worth it. We have quite a few Cretas and Seltos' in our family but no Compass so can't comment on that.

But considering the fact that it is truly a safer car with good quality makes me quite interested in the prospect, Do you have any details of the dealership, If there is more than one petrol Compass DCT available, I would definitely like to have a look.
Old 25th June 2023, 05:58   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Compass is an international product, and it shows in the way the car is put together and drives. If you are getting the Jeep at anywhere close to top end Creta prices, go ahead. I’ve been a happy owner of a diesel Compass for 3 years now. The build quality, driving feel and dynamics are on an entirely different level compared to the Koreans. Car has been perfectly reliable as well.
Old 25th June 2023, 12:11   #102
BHPian

Quote:

I don't own one. But I have driven the top end petrol DCT on a round trip Bangalore -chennai - Bangalore

Pros
- Car feels a segment higher
- It shouldn't be compared to Harrier or Korean twins, the feel and ride quality are on par with the luxury German brands
- Well sorted ride, you will not feel a thing at higher speeds in fact even at 140km/hr speeds the passengers were feeling we were cruising at 100-120
- Body roll is well contained for the GC it offers.

Cons
- Despite the powerful engine, the car due to its heavy weight takes some time to get moving.
- The above mentioned delay makes city driving not a smooth affair. Especially if you like to launch the car from Traffic signals and do quick overtakes.
- Not the easy to maneuver in the city and the hard suspension makes the slow speed ride really bumpy.
- Reliability concerns of dual clutch in Indian conditions
anoopvk268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 12:40   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopvk268 View Post
I don't own one. But I have driven the top end petrol DCT on a round trip Bangalore -chennai - Bangalore

Pros
- Car feels a segment higher
- It shouldn't be compared to Harrier or Korean twins, the feel and ride quality are on par with the luxury German brands
- Well sorted ride, you will not feel a thing at higher speeds in fact even at 140km/hr speeds the passengers were feeling we were cruising at 100-120
- Body roll is well contained for the GC it offers.

Cons
- Despite the powerful engine, the car due to its heavy weight takes some time to get moving.
- The above mentioned delay makes city driving not a smooth affair. Especially if you like to launch the car from Traffic signals and do quick overtakes.
- Not the easy to maneuver in the city and the hard suspension makes the slow speed ride really bumpy.
- Reliability concerns of dual clutch in Indian conditions
Really appreciate the input, and thanks a lot for the real-life usage scenario. It indeed helps a lot. Anyways, considering you had a round trip, how was the mileage, I don't expect much, but a reasonable estimate would be of great help.

Last edited by bijims : 25th June 2023 at 12:41.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 12:55   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Really appreciate the input, and thanks a lot for the real-life usage scenario. It indeed helps a lot. Anyways, considering you had a round trip, how was the mileage, I don't expect much, but a reasonable estimate would be of great help.
Don't remember the mileage exactly.
It was around 10 if I am not wrong. And most of the empty highways were done with 120+ speed, 4 people, full AC.
anoopvk268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 17:59   #105
BANNED

I would highly recommend you to get the MG Astor, but only after 1 month or so.. The Astor is getting a mild facelift and it would be better for you to get a newer version.. I currently own a 2022 MG Astor Savvy CVT and it just looks so chic! Love the beautiful features and the ADAS is simply helpful in city driving. But if you were to buy a bigger car, close your eyes and go for the Safari. It is a beautiful gem and the stadium seating will make you feel special. Though it is not a driver's car, it is definitely a chauffer driven specialty. Do consider the Hector plus too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks