Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 11:08   #1
BHPian

Best ride quality for broken city roads | Budget of 15-lakhs

Dear Mods,

Please delete if this a duplicate thread, I could only find from way back in 2011 and a lot of cars have come and gone after that.

My driving is 98% in the city and I hardly go on highway trips. We are a family of 4(2adults+2kids). So we need a spacious comfortable car.
Since most of our drive would be in city, the ride comfort or ride quality on the broken city roads is my no.1 priority. I can compromise on performance.
Within a budget of 15lakhs, which car in the current market offers the best ride comfort while going through roughest of the roughest patches.

Thanks
TheWall
TheWall is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 11:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Best ride quality for broken city roads | Budget of 15-lakhs

The car with the best low speed ride quality the MG Hector. It’s soft and pillowy, nicely complimented by large and comfortable seats. It is the ideal car for the requirements you describe.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd June 2022 at 09:59. Reason: typo edited
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 11:39   #3
BHPian

You can check out the Tata Nexon, the ride is super good over bad patches and has decent space for 4.
skarface is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 11:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

Most Hyundai cars have excellent low speed ride quality. As an added bonus, Hyundai steering feedback is poor (which is a good thing for your requirement). Meaning, when you go over a bad patch of road, the steering will not vibrate/shake/move around much.

Whatever car you buy:

- Reduce tyre pressure to 30 PSI (ignore what the manufacturer says)
- Make sure wheel alignment is perfect. Ride quality will be poor if wheel alignment is badly done.
- Change tyres every 4 years (ignore the kms done)

Older thread on the same topic:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...d-roads-6.html (Which is the best car to drive on our potholed roads?)

Last edited by SmartCat : 31st May 2022 at 12:22.
SmartCat is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 11:52   #5
BHPian

I would suggest you to pick one of these based on your brand preference.
  • Hyundai Creta
  • Maruti XL6 / Ertiga
  • Maruti Brezza
  • Tata Nexon
  • Mahindra XUV 300
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 12:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
Within a budget of 15lakhs, which car in the current market offers the best ride comfort while going through roughest of the roughest patches
Look no further than the Renault Duster. I know it is almost at the end of its lifecycle but there is no other car in this budget/segment which comes even close to the Duster when it comes to ride quality - period! Moreover, you can get some good discounts as well, if you negotiate hard. The only other option I can think of, within your budget, is the Tata Nexon.
cool_dube is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 12:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:

My driving is 98% in the city and I hardly go on highway trips. We are a family of 4(2adults+2kids). So we need a spacious comfortable car.
Since most of our drive would be in city, the ride comfort or ride quality on the broken city roads is my no.1 priority. I can compromise on performance.
Within a budget of 15lakhs, which car in the current market offers the best ride comfort while going through roughest of the roughest patches.
I would say other than suspension one thing I personally would consider if vehicle is used is 98% city drive is a proper automatic. (No AMT, iVT BS)

Since you mention broken city roads I would recommend a cSUV.

I would suggest wait for 6 speed automatic Brezza. (If you would be able to stretch the budget maybe a bit, you might be lucky if MS price it aggressively)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Look no further than the Renault Duster. I know it is almost at the end of its lifecycle but there is no other car in this budget/segment which comes even close to the Duster when it comes to ride quality - period! Moreover, you can get some good discounts as well, if you negotiate hard. The only other option I can think of, within your budget, is the Tata Nexon.
Two reasons why i wont recommend duster:
1.I am a Terrano 110 ps diesel owner, but wont recommend the turbo petrol for city drive constant gear shifing is a hassle. Low end is not good, but highway it is a beauty.
(turbo petrols also it is the same, highlighted in the review)
Automatic might be an option though.
2. Duster is done, no more new launches. So risky buying a phased out model ( if one plans on keeping it for long)

Last edited by SideView : 31st May 2022 at 12:19.
SideView is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 12:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Duster is really really an outdated car. Not sure it would appeal to the family
TheWall is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 19:25   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Best ride quality for broken city roads | Budget of 15-lakhs

- Kia Carens: Awesome ride quality, lots of space, great spread of engines. This should be your no.1 choice.

- MG Hector, as Shreyans said. Comfortable low speed ride quality. Wafts over bad roads.

- 5th-gen City: Can't go wrong with this all-rounder. But the Carens & Hector are above it for your purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
You can check out the Tata Nexon, the ride is super good over bad patches and has decent space for 4.
No way! The Nexon rides firm and can get bumpy on bad roads.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 21:52   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

S-Cross suits your requirement. The suspension setup isn't very soft to make you feel all over the place nor is it very stiff to toss you around. It's well built and has an adequate engine for city use or highway cruising.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 19:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

The 3OO's ride quality on bad roads is decent provided you have the tyre psi set between 30 to 32. I do that when I drive solo. I inflate it to 34 when I have company.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 21:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest to compare your test drives with the Renault Triber as the value benchmark at the low end of your budget. I liked the ride, the space inside and the compact 4m footprint. Double check on the interiors, engine noise, pickup, manual or AMT gearbox, and lack of advanced active safety. Jot out what doesn't quite work for you.

As advised by experts already, there are worthy incumbents and upcoming contenders as you then explore further along till your hard limit of 15L.

Personally I would find anything bigger than a Creta/Astor quite a handful on the city roads and in the mall basements.

Last edited by mkumar79 : 1st June 2022 at 21:50. Reason: para
mkumar79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 23:22   #13
BHPian

You may give Nissan Kicks Turbo Petrol CVT a try. It has the underpinnings of Duster (which is known for its ride quality) and has better interior than Duster. But it may cross your 15 lakhs limit.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 13:11   #14
BHPian

XUV 300 is a great car and ride quality is decent. The AMT suffices for city usage and start stop traffic. As you dont forsee a lot of highway usage, I am assuming the small boot will not be a deal breaker in this case.
Old 2nd June 2022, 13:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My driving is 98% in the city and I hardly go on highway trips. We are a family of 4(2adults+2kids). So we need a spacious comfortable carl
Along with other suggestions we have above, do check out MS Ciaz.

When it comes to space and comfort the sheer value offered by this vehicle is unmatched. It is more Indianized when it comes to its ride and does a better job of isolating the rough roads than ANY of its competitors.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks