Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2023, 20:52   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by The VAG32 View Post
I'm also in the same situation like you looking for a small compact city car
1.I'm slightly inclined towards the wagonr as it has the 1.2 k series 4 cyl engine which is very smooth and has a good top end easy to potter around the city.I too liked the tall boy design with a good amount of features.The only issue is that the 1.2 Wagonr costs close to 7.5 to 8 lakhs on road.So I'm in a state of dilemma whether to go ahead and book it or look for other competitors.
If you are able to extend your budget up to 8 lakhs, the 1.2-liter Wagon-R ZXI AGS would be the best choice, no doubt about it. If the budget doesn't allow it, I don't see any other options worth the upgrade as the Celerio already comes with a 1.0 Litre K-Series, and any option below the Wagon-R 1.2 carries forward the same engine be it the Alto, S-Presso, Celerio. even if you go for the Kwid, the experience is likely to be similar with its 1.0 Litre engine.

So, the cheapest option even worth considering as an upgrade is the Wagon-R 1.2, or else you would be better off with your Celerio. the other options are only going to get even more expensive, be it the Ignis, Tiago, or i10 Nios
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 21:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
The major omission is a manual mode on the AMT.

Now the only thing you have to do is take a comprehensive test drive of each and finalize.

Hope it helps!
Thank you so much for your input; it has been very helpful. I have test-driven all three vehicles today and I am still in the process of making a decision. Will share the detailed impression I had.

Quote:
I'm also in the same situation like you looking for a small compact city car
2.Currently using the facelifted 2019 celerio AMT which is pathetic considering the 3 cyl engine gives a lot of vibrations at idle and getting a fuel economy of 11 to 12 in the city , even my Endeavour gives 10 in the city.So I will advice you to stay away from celerio
Thank you for your suggestion. Today, I test drove the S-presso, and it appears that both vehicles have the same K10 engine. However, I found the driving experience to be jerky. Not impressed much.

Quote:
3.Kwid is a great car with lot of features and good engine.I personally like the funky design of the kwid but again the aftersales and service of Renault is not great in my place as I have experienced with my Duster AWD.
I would suggest you to take a test drive of all the 3 and then decide
I tried the Kwid, and while it seems like a great car, I wasn't satisfied with the way it moves in automatic. ( I experienced more jerkiness compared to Maruti cars ) I have taken a test drive and I am currently in the process of finalizing my decision.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 23:24   #18
BHPian

Impresssion on the test drive.

Kwid :-

Cons -

Space - First, I sat in and noticed that my leg was being touched by the steering wheel. After adjusting the seat properly, I moved it farther back to find a comfortable position. However, once I sat comfortably, I realized that there is no room for someone to sit in the backseat of the Kwid. The space is extremely limited, and it can only be used for short city drives. Even then, it would be uncomfortable for someone to sit there for more than an hour.

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7169.jpg

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7175.jpg

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7168.jpg

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7165.jpg

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7163.jpg

AMT - The jerkiness can be felt quite strongly in the Kwid. I understand that some level of jerkiness is expected, but I found it more pronounced when comparing it to the Maruti engines with AGS, such as the S-presso and Wagon R. Personally, I felt that those vehicles had less jerkiness in comparison to the Kwid. ( Head nod is heavy ) even with the feather foot.

Delay in Accelaration -I'm not sure if this issue is specific to the test drive car or a general characteristic of the Kwid. During my test drive, I noticed a delay between pressing the accelerator and the car actually moving. This delay gave me enough time to wonder why the car hadn't moved yet and caused some dizziness. Interestingly, I did not experience this delay with the S-presso or Wagon R.

Pros -

The Kwid is feature-loaded, with several features added to compete with the Wagon R and S-presso. Despite being priced at 7 lakhs, it comes equipped with TMPS and hill assist. Additionally, it boasts a full unit infotainment system and a reverse camera, which appeared to be of good quality during my test drive.

AC - It was so strong that it gave me a headache. Even when I reduced it to the lowest setting, the airflow was still quite powerful, capable of cooling the entire cabin.

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7180.jpg

Overall, I found that the rear seat of the Kwid is not very practical. If I were to purchase it, I would have to consider it as a two-seater car, as it may not comfortably accommodate my parents, family members, or anyone in my family as they all are not lean and taller in height. However, considering the overall package, the Kwid offers some positive aspects.

S-Presso appears to be a promising option. The front seat is spacious and provides ample room for me to relax without feeling cramped, unlike the Kwid. The higher stance of the S-Presso is a positive feature, and in my opinion, its K10 engine performs well without any shifting issues or confusion. It seems to be well-tuned. However, similar to the Kwid, the rear seat of the S-Presso is also impractical. Nonetheless, overall, it left me with a good impression.

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7203.jpg

Now let's discuss the Wagon R. Initially, I had a negative opinion about it, but once I sat inside, it completely impressed me.

The Wagon R truly stands out in terms of spaciousness, especially considering its price segment. It offers an abundance of space, even when the front seat is pushed all the way back. The rear seat provides ample comfort, allowing passengers to sit comfortably. Additionally, the Wagon R boasts higher headroom, which made a positive impression on me. Despite not being a fan of its appearance, the more I looked at it, the more it seemed like a viable option.

Considering all these factors, the S-Presso doesn't appear to be a practical choice. It's now between the Wagon R and the Kwid.

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7221.jpg

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7198.jpg

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7196.jpg

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7190.jpg

WagonR vs Kwid vs Celerio vs Alto as a 2nd car of the house-img_7187.jpg

I have driven vehicles with CVT, TC, and AMT including the recent Baleno Alpha. However, I noticed that the AMT or AGS in these cars is completely different. I have come across several discussions on Team-BHP regarding the jerkiness of AMT transmissions but this is the first time I am experiencing such jerkiness. Based on my experience, if I were a passenger, I might think that the driver is a beginner due to the noticeable jerkiness. This aspect is making me reconsider these options. Now, I am considering exploring the used car market to find a better automatic transmission option instead of an AMT.

I hope to find a better car option. If I don't, I may consider increasing my budget to purchase a better car instead of settling for the current options.
raptor_diwan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 04:48   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
I hope to find a better car option. If I don't, I may consider increasing my budget to purchase a better car instead of settling for the current options.
Considering the fact that space and practicality are the best and head-nod is least in the Wagon-R AGS, I would suggest you go ahead with it rather than go with the Kwid, I too have felt the higher head-nod and the slowness to respond to throttle inputs quite evident in the Kwid compared to other AMTs, so considering you have felt the same way too (I guess there are no noticeable upgrades in the engine and transmission even after 5 years), you better go with the Wagon-R AGS if you are restricted by budget.

Else, if you are looking at the used car market. a good TC/CVT transmission car would be the better buy. a used i20 Automatic or earlier generation Baleno CVT, a Honda Amaze CVT or a Honda Jazz CVT, etc can be good options to start with. They are all well-packaged and spacious cars with Honda's being extremely reliable.

Now, if you are planning to further increase your budget, the first thing I have to say is the next batch of (ICE cars) from 8 lakhs to 10 lakhs are the Tiago AMT, Tigor AMT, Ignis AGS, I10 Nios AMT, Punch AMT Swift AGS, Baleno/Glanza AGS. Desire AGS, Triber AMT, Exter AMT and Kiger AMT. One thing that you notice here is almost up to 10 lakhs on-road, In Chennai, you have only AMTs of which the best AMT will definitely be the Hyundai AMTs, Exter AMT, and i10 Nios AMT.

Now there are a couple of EVs you can get instead, they are the MG Comet EV and the Tiago EV both priced under 10 lakhs, but I don't know whether they would be suitable for your use case, if are then I would recommend you check out the Tiago EV.

Now moving on to "proper" automatic ICE cars, the options available begin from the Tata Altroz DCA, and Honda Amaze CVT both priced from around 10 lakh on-road, Chennai.

So getting a "proper" automatic transmission car has now become an expensive affair with only a couple of cars available under 10 lakhs on-road. Chennai. The better option to both stick to your budget and get a reliable mid-spec to top-trim automatic would be to go for the used car market.

Hope this helps!
bijims is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 06:33   #20
BANNED

Seems to be to me that the brainy decision now is to increase your budget to around 8-9 lakhs and go for the Swift, Punch or Kiger, with Kiger being on the pricier side.

For a second car, I assume that ease of maneuverability and compactness is desired. But in case you need a spacious car that that seat 5 people with ease, I guess the Triber is the best car. You can remove the third row seats when you don't want it and you can have a bigger car for just 7-8 lakhs.

You can even go for a sedan like the Aura or the Dzire, which is also spacious in terms of front seat and mediocre in the second row.

IMHO, the Triber suits you the best. But as mentioned, long and wider car means parking troubles (though it is sub 4m).

Hope this helps @raptor diwan!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 07:33   #21
BHPian

The car's you've chosen are all not that great. (I've owned one so the gyan).

Get a Tiago or Punch and you're sorted for the next decade.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th July 2023 at 08:20. Reason: You can state your opinion with some grace. Thanks.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 07:58   #22
BANNED

Quote:

WagonR is a good option considering the budget. If you are increasing the budget, then Ignis and Grand i10 Nios can also be an option. I already have a 2016 Grand i10 Asta (O) for city usage; driven it around 1.2l km, and so far, it has been hassle-free ownership.

Last edited by aseem23 : 13th July 2023 at 08:11.
aseem23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 09:50   #23
BHPian

The Celerio IMO is a better car in this list but since you have already vetoed that, would recommend to get a used i10 - you'll get ones from 2016 or 2019 for between 5 to 7 lakhs with automatic transmission, although mileage will be much lower than the 3 cylinder options you're looking at. The i10 IMHO is a much better put together car and I arrived on it after doing the circuit of used Kwid, Celerio AMT, Wagon R, Tiago etc and a 2019 i10 automatic is what really felt the best maintained, fun to drive, and feature rich used car for my wife's use. The Kwid as you said had the worst AMT for sure, it had a huge lag from pressing the pedal and worst head nods compared to the Maruti AMTs.

Last edited by IonHawk : 13th July 2023 at 09:51. Reason: Grammar correction
IonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 10:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would say if you can, please increase your budget and consider the Tiago/Punch or Ignis.

Tiago and Punch have much better and sorted road manners, better suspension, robust build quality than WR/Kwid/Celerio/Alto et al.

If you want something that is smoother to drive (read, a refined 4 cylinder engine), consider the Ignis. I heard that they are giving some mouth watering discounts currently to the tune of 74k, see this video.

What you'll get with Ignis over WR/Kwid etc is a much more sorted and mature car, a smooth and fuel efficient 4 cylinder K series engine with bullet proof reliability, and you will be pleasently surprised with the space management inside the car specially rear legroom when compared to the likes of Celerio or Kwid.

If you are taking a loan, in terms of EMIs, the Ignis will cost only a few hundered bucks more per month, but you will be sorted for 15 years and not regret buying a 4 cylinder beautifully tuned engined car instead of lousy and thrummy 3 cylinders in your shortlist.

Here is the link for the discounts on offer:

P.S. I myself have Ignis as the second car. Does the role of second car perfectly.

Last edited by DCEite : 13th July 2023 at 10:07.
DCEite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 11:34   #25
BHPian

If you are keen on a tall boy, get a pre-owned Ritz Auto. It may have archaic interiors, 4 speed auto and is definitely polarizing with respect to design (though my sister and me love ours). It is difficult to come by in the used market though. But it is perfect for tall drivers and can easily potter around rear occupants with reasonable comfort.

In the budget segment, only Wagon R has useable space, imo.

The other options are pre-owned Honda Jazz CVT or i10 AT. Hyundai is less efficient and Honda is extremely expensive in the used market,
subie_socal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 12:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
you better go with the Wagon-R AGS if you are restricted by budget.

Else, if you are looking at the used car market. a good TC/CVT transmission car would be the better buy. a used i20 Automatic or earlier generation Baleno CVT, a Honda Amaze CVT or a Honda Jazz CVT, etc can be good options to start with. They are all well-packaged and spacious cars with Honda's being extremely reliable.
Wagon R is a good car, but I am not quite enamored with it, especially when comparing it to the other three options in its segment. Although it seems to be the best choice overall, the appearance is not something that captures my interest.

I am considering expanding my budget and concurrently exploring the used car market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
Seems to be to me that the brainy decision now is to increase your budget to around 8-9 lakhs.

I guess the Triber is the best car. You can remove the third row seats when you don't want it and you can have a bigger car for just 7-8 lakhs.
Exactly, that's what I am thinking. Regarding the Triber, do they offer a reliable and efficient (AMT) option, unlike the one found in the Kwid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
The car's you've chosen are all not that great. (I've owned one so the gyan).

Get a Tiago or Punch and you're sorted for the next decade.
Since it is my second car, I didn't want to exceed my budget, so I initially chose budget cars. However, now I am considering purchasing a better car. Thank you for your suggestion, and I will definitely look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
I already have a 2016 Grand i10 Asta (O) for city usage; driven it around 1.2l km, and so far, it has been hassle-free ownership.
Is it an automatic transmission? How does it perform in traffic? If it is AT, do you experience any head nod moments during shifts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonHawk View Post
The i10 IMHO is a much better put together car and I arrived on it after doing the circuit of used Kwid, Celerio AMT, Wagon R, Tiago etc and a 2019 i10 automatic is what really felt the best maintained, fun to drive,
Thank you for your suggestion; I will definitely look into that. As of now, I am exploring the used car market, hoping to find a good one soon.
raptor_diwan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 12:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I would say if you can, please increase your budget and consider the Tiago/Punch or Ignis.
Yes, the Ignis is now on my radar. It features a 1.2 VVT engine, and I am not particularly impressed with the K10 or K12 engines. I will definitely look into the Ignis further. Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
P.S. I myself have Ignis as the second car. Does the role of second car perfectly.
Great! If you don't mind, could you please share a few comments about the Ignis? Is it AT which you own? Did you experience any head nod during shifts? I understand that some level of head nod is expected, but I would like to know if it is mild or hard. I recently test drove the Baleno Alpha AT, and the shifting was perfect. It appears that the Ignis and Baleno share the same engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_socal View Post
If you are keen on a tall boy, get a pre-owned Ritz Auto. It may have archaic interiors, 4 speed auto and is definitely polarizing with respect to design (though my sister and me love ours). It is difficult to come by in the used market though. But it is perfect for tall drivers and can easily potter around rear occupants with reasonable comfort.
The other options are pre-owned Honda Jazz CVT or i10 AT. Hyundai is less efficient and Honda is extremely expensive in the used market,
Thank you. Yes, I am currently searching the used car market, hoping to find one soon. If not, I will consider the Ignis or i10. I have also received feedback on Honda CVT, so I will explore that option as well.
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 14:19   #28

Quote:
If you are able to extend your budget up to 8 lakhs, the 1.2-liter Wagon-R ZXI AGS would be the best choice, no doubt about it. If the budget doesn't allow it, I don't see any other options worth the upgrade as the Celerio already comes with a 1.0 Litre K-Series, and any option below the Wagon-R 1.2 carries forward the same engine be it the Alto, S-Presso, Celerio. even if you go for the Kwid, the experience is likely to be similar with its 1.0 Litre engine.

So, the cheapest option even worth considering as an upgrade is the Wagon-R 1.2, or else you would be better off with your Celerio. the other options are only going to get even more expensive, be it the Ignis, Tiago, or i10 Nios
True,There are no good options for me within the budget
I've decided to extend a bit more and consider the new exter smart auto or punch AMT what's your take on this?
Thanks in advance
Old 13th July 2023, 14:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
consider the new exter smart auto or punch AMT what's your take on this?
Thanks in advance
Even in this thread, many people have suggested Hyundai AMT over other options. It is widely believed that Hyundai's AMT system offers smoother performance compared to the Punch AMT. So, if your primary concern is the performance of the AMT, Hyundai's AMT is likely to be a better choice.

And the exterior of the Exter also appears to be more appealing when compared to the Punch.
Old 13th July 2023, 15:31   #30
BHPian

Quote:
And it doesn't have a manual mode in AMT, it might be a deal-breaker for me, since I'm a frequent hill station visitor.
The Kwid takes slopes quite well when in motion. However, stop and start on slopes can be challenging due to the absence of manual gears

We just drove to Lonavala and back in the Kwid without any issues in the ghats. However, the steep entrance to our hotel was a challenge when I was forced to stop in the middle due to a vehicle coming from front. It took some time for the car to adjust and start moving but after that it was all ok.

Also, one thing I feel good about the Kwid is that you dont feel the gear shifts that much compared to a lot of other AMT's
aniketvu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks