Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2023, 12:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which 1st Automatic Car under 10-lakhs?

I would say take a good hard look at the Hyundai Exter AMT.

Yes, its an AMT, but do not blindly remove it from your shortlist until you do an extensive testdrive and see if the AMT suites your needs and driving style.

Yes the AMT on the Exter is not as smooth as say a CVT on the Amaze (will come to Amaze later), but the AMTs of today are lot more refined and easy to live with compared to 5-6 years back. Then you have 6 Airbags and latest product from Hyundai (although it is still old wine in new bottle, but what the heck) , compared to a generation old Amaze.

Speaking of Amaze, the issue is this car is now dated and past its prime. Competition has moved on with much more features, creature comforts, more responsive engines and then what you say about Honda's future also holds true to some extent.

However, I would be very interested in the Amaze facelift coming in 2024 if they can do a complete overhaul of the interiors, the ride quality, comfort level and add more modern day features to the list, and introduce a more competent engine, apart from expanding their portolio and after sales network.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 13:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Hi Folks,

Requesting your kind inputs as they need to finalize in a week or two due to the stock limitations for this month.
I would suggest that you consider the Hyundai i20 (Sportz IVT).

It meets 6 out of 7 of your key requirements as follows:

1. Body style
YES Would be very comfortable for your family of 4.

2. Fuel - Petrol
YES

3. Transmission
YES. Since this is an IVT you get the best of both worlds - an automatic without the issues of an AMT.

4. Good Mileage
PARTIAL. The i20 IVT has average mileage. But then most IVTs are not known to offer great mileage anyways.

5. Decent safety kit
BIG YES. The Sportz variant of the i20 comes loaded with safety features - 6 airbags, ABS, EBD, ESC, HAC, TPMS, Speed and impact sensing auto door locks and speed alert system (phew!).

6. Others - Since, it'll be their 1st car and they are absolute novice; ease for serviceability, good reliability and the works.
YES. Hyundai has good after sales service and reliability.

7. Budget of Rs 10 Lakh
YES. On road price at your location (Goa) is Rs 10.87 Lakh

*Cherry on top* - Although not on your requirements list, you get a lot of extra features and a very premium fit and finish in the interiors (close to that of a segment above).

Hope that's helpful!

Last edited by Virtualaman : 12th December 2023 at 13:43.
Virtualaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 13:30   #18
BHPian

Based on your requirement these cars comes to my mind

1. Hyundai i10 nios amt or Exter (top choice based on budget)
2. Honda Amaze CVT ( 2nd best but better transmission)

If manual then,
1. Suzuki Beleno or Toyota Glanza
2. Wagon R
3. i10 nios
4. Fronx (top choice if budget approves)

Last edited by OpenRoads : 12th December 2023 at 13:33.
OpenRoads is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 13:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

With those requirements, consider a Baleno/Glanza/Fronx AMT. They are efficient, well-equipped, have good service, and offer affordable automatics.

Your next best bet is the Hyundai i10/Exter AMT, only they are a little smaller.

Best to test drive both of them and find out if your cousin can tolerate the AMTs, and if so, it's a win-win; if not, consider the Nissan Magnite - Caculo have taken over service in Goa and a cousin who owns two Nissans is quite pleased (in contrast to our terrible experience with the old dealer).

The Amaze is too outdated, IMO, and unless you're a Honda loyalist it's hard to recommend in 2023.
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 14:06   #20

I've been using Amaze VX CVT for the past 1 year and have driven the car for around 6k Km. What I really like about the car is the CVT gearbox as compared to the AMT on similar priced cars. It makes a lot of difference in the driving. Add to that the convenience to paddle shifters, overtaking on the highways becomes much more effortless.
If you're someone with tall height, you might face issues in ingress/egress. Me and my father both are 6 ft tall and this is one the points we fell everytime we sit in the car.
We were also looking at Altroz DCA last year but decided to go against it as the gearbox was fairly new for Tata and we didn't wanted ourselves to be in the early adopters list.
You should go ahead with Amaze, it ticks all the boxes in the 10L budget category.
shivanshbhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 15:20   #21
BHPian

Since it is a first car, I needs to be Maruti, Hyundai, Honda, Tata (i have my own concerns here) & Mahindra

I would say
- Swift AMT, Baleno (delta) AMT, Wagon R VXI AMT,
- Santro AMT, Exter AT, I10 AMT, (i20 will cross the mentioned range)
- In Honda you only have S1.2 AT Amaze
- TATA still have some build quality issues but you can explore Punch, Altros / Nexon wil cross budget
- Mahindra - no options available (XUV300 AT started from 12.6)

Kiger and Magnite look good but they have only 1.0L option which is underpowered given the size, Citroen lacks service network and is toothless

My pick would be baleno / swift
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 16:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
The Amaze is too outdated, IMO, and unless you're a Honda loyalist it's hard to recommend in 2023.
Don't you think the Amaze overshadows its (sedan and non-sedan) competitors (priced below 10 lakhs) when it comes to comfort, overall safety, performance, reliability/maintenance costs and fuel economy? You get a large boot space too!

The only cons are low effective ground clearance (given its soft suspensions), non existence of rear AC vents, non-adjustable headrests and a service network that isn't as strong as Maruti's or Hyundai's. Lack of 6 airbags may also be considered. However, these missing features will be added in the 2024 facelift variants.

Looks are subjective, so I'm not considering that.

All in all, Amaze VX CVT is probably the most VFM car out in the market - especially in the automatic segment if OP's cousin isn't bothered about its resale value after 8 years. OP, at least, ask them to take a test drive!
bigolp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 18:04   #23
BHPian

For a proper automatic you have just two choices
Honda Amaze S CVT
Hyundai i20 IVT
Both are reliable machines easy to live with for 8-10 yrs. I believe Honda will be cheaper to maintain in long term, Hyundai parts are pretty expensive. Honda Amaze fits yours budget better. Ladies prefer the likes of Honda or Suzuki over Tata or Mahindra
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 18:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hence, the decision of registering the car in this month & taking the delivery in Jan.

1. They are a family of 4 (Couple + Parents).

3. Transmission - They were keen on getting an automatic car as it'll be convenient for his spouse to learn and drive too

4. Good Mileage

6. Others - Since, it'll be their 1st car and they are absolute novice; ease for serviceability, good reliability and the works.
All the above requirements point to a Maruti car. I would suggest Swift ZXI-AMT if you could find it with any of the dealers in the city.

Considering that parents would also travel, the car better have a higher seating and be easy for ingress/egress. Wagon-R ZXI/ZXI+ AMT is another good option.

Note that it is really difficult to find these automatic options available in stock in desired color.

Grand i10 Nios AMT is another good option but the seating is little low.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 19:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Below are the requirements laid out in no particular order -[/b]

1. Body style - Hatch / Sedan / SUV is irrelevant. As long as it is adequately comfortable. They are a family of 4 (Couple + Parents).

2. Fuel - Petrol, as the running will barely touch 1000 kms a month. No EV's.

3. Transmission - Big question. They were keen on getting an automatic car as it'll be convenient for his spouse to learn and drive too; however, in this price segment there are only AMT's which are barely any good. Also, long-term reliability is a question mark. Hence, I suggested on the MT. Request your kind inputs here. They're open to both MT or AMT.

4. Good Mileage

5. Decent safety kit

Requesting your kind inputs as they need to finalize in a week or two due to the stock limitations for this month.

Mods: Kindly merge if there is any suitable thread.
For novice first time car buyers, hassle free experience, decent safety and getting over initial blues will be of higher priority.

In that aspect I would suggest you to take a good long test drive among all available standard options like Maruti, Hyundai and Honda from all aspects like bonnet visibility, driver ergonomics, ingress egress for parents and AC cooling effect being a coastal place and then decide. I have a hunch they will end up in a decent Maruti vehicle.

Off topic, are they looking only at new car market?
Rakeshmbalaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 19:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,

My cousin is looking to pick up his 1st car and has set a budget of around 10 Lakhs.
So now, requesting your kind help in finalizing a car for them as they intent to purchase the same in this month taking advance of the ongoing discounts.

Frankly speaking he wants the car on 20th Jan for his Mom's birthday
5. Decent safety kit

[/b]
We BHPians love suggesting cars. We read so much about them and drive them with such interest that we tend to know a lot about them.

There are 10s of cars in the market and all of them are amazing and each car has something to offer. Therefore, let us focus on your cousin's primary requirements.

A new car with decent safety kit and creature comfort features, early availability, 10-11 lakhs budget, ease of serviceability and a good automatic (please please do not buy MT and stick to only CVT, TC kind of automatics) points to Nissan Magnite/Renault Kiger. The ONLY issue with this suggestion is the quality of service center in Goa (I am assuming your cousin is in Goa). Other than that, this will be a great car.

I would suggest the Fronx because it is a really great car but your cousin has come from 8 lakhs to 10 lakhs and therefore will not make sense asking them to spend more than that.

You have ruled out Amaze because for 10 lakhs you will only get base model.

Since this is your cousin's first car, I am guessing they will not want to go for a second hand car. But if they are open to it, please consider the Toyota Yaris VX. It genuinely ticks all the points of requirement. Toyota parts will be available for a long long time, their service center will service the car as if it is their own car and it is really well kitted with things like knee airbags etc.. It is a superb car. Here are the links of two/three great second hand examples from Spinny.

https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...ars-in-pune/s/

https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...n-bangalore/s/
sjain2054 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 20:00   #27
BHPian

Magnite seems to meet your needs quite well - CVT, 4-star GNCAP, decent mileage, great price, no new-car niggles.
Old 12th December 2023, 20:44   #28
BHPian

I would suggest i20 ivt as its hatchback style is easy to drive and park.
It scores better on Amaze on across all fronts and Hyundai in general is easy to maintain.
Old 12th December 2023, 22:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:

A quick check on carwale reveals that only the base variant comes at 10 Lakhs.

You can get good discounts on amaze if bargained with multiple quotes from different dealers

My friend is planning to buy an Amaze S manual. On road price on websites are 9.2L (Hyderabad)

He's been offered it for 8.85L on road (with extended warranty + 9inch touchscreen with Android auto, Apple car play and reverse camera + some small accessories (other than basic accessories))

He is still negotiating and I guess he can knock off few more thousands.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 12th December 2023 at 22:28.
Asish_VK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 00:22   #30
BHPian

I’d recommend these options and order-

1. Amaze - reliable, service can be expensive but engine is super refined.
2. Altroz - Only 5 star rated real automatic south of 10L which is feature loaded, might get a sunroof if you extend the budget.
3. Fronx - big car feel, reliable and having good service support, but AMT!

Do take a longish test drive covering city +highway and then take the final call.

Last edited by sapien : 13th December 2023 at 00:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks