Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2023, 11:58   #1
BHPian

Which 1st Automatic Car under 10-lakhs?

Hi Folks,

My cousin is looking to pick up his 1st car and has set a budget of around 10 Lakhs. Initially they were planning at around 8 Lakhs, however they intent to keep the car for over 8 years; hence, I suggested them if they could stretch a little, they could get some better options at around 10 lakhs (thanks to TBHP advice )

So now, requesting your kind help in finalizing a car for them as they intent to purchase the same in this month taking advance of the ongoing discounts.

Frankly speaking he wants the car on 20th Jan for his Mom's birthday; but than there are 2 things - one, he will lose out on the ongoing year end discounts & second, the impending price hike. Hence, the decision of registering the car in this month & taking the delivery in Jan.

Below are the requirements laid out in no particular order -

1. Body style - Hatch / Sedan / SUV is irrelevant. As long as it is adequately comfortable. They are a family of 4 (Couple + Parents).

2. Fuel - Petrol, as the running will barely touch 1000 kms a month. No EV's.

3. Transmission - Big question. They were keen on getting an automatic car as it'll be convenient for his spouse to learn and drive too; however, in this price segment there are only AMT's which are barely any good. Also, long-term reliability is a question mark. Hence, I suggested on the MT. Request your kind inputs here. They're open to both MT or AMT.

4. Good Mileage

5. Decent safety kit

6. Others - Since, it'll be their 1st car and they are absolute novice; ease for serviceability, good reliability and the works.

Requesting your kind inputs as they need to finalize in a week or two due to the stock limitations for this month.

Mods: Kindly merge if there is any suitable thread.
ashvek3141 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 12:17   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Which 1st Automatic Car under 10-lakhs?

You could get the Amaze CVT! Allrounder car, super smooth AT & driving experience, Honda badge, spacious cabin, neutral suspension & reliability. It's actually very well-priced and a no-brainer choice for 10 lakhs.

Yes, avoid the AMTs.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 12:34   #3
BHPian

Re: Which 1st Automatic Car under 10-lakhs?

I would suggest you to take test drives of Maruti Baleno and Hyundai Exter. Both use AMT units but I found them to be comfortable for city driving. Both Maruti and Hyundai are a safer bet in terms of after sales service.

Exter has longer waiting period so you might not get the car by your desired date.
Saanil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 12:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You could get the Amaze CVT! Allrounder car, super smooth AT & driving experience, Honda badge, spacious cabin, neutral suspension & reliability. It's actually very well-priced and a no-brainer choice for 10 lakhs.

Yes, avoid the AMTs.
Thanks GTO. I was actually thinking of suggesting the Amaze; but a little worried about the Honda's future plans in India. Plus, we don't know if Amaze will be existing 7-8 years down the line further hampering the resale.

For now, Honda is just surviving (70-75%) on the Elevate. The way things are , Amaze & City might soon be dead.

A quick check on carwale reveals that only the base variant comes at 10 Lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I would suggest you to take test drives of Maruti Baleno and Hyundai Exter. Both use AMT units but I found them to be comfortable for city driving. Both Maruti and Hyundai are a safer bet in terms of after sales service.

Exter has longer waiting period so you might not get the car by your desired date.
Yes, most probably planning to check out all the cars in this week.

Exter is out for obvious reasons.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 13:04   #5
BHPian

May not be the strongest choice. but for a first car - Ignis might fit his needs. Heard it is readily available along with discounts - 9.2L for the topend automatic with all bells and whistles. Check for December discounts .
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 13:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
6. Others - Since, it'll be their 1st car and they are absolute novice; ease for serviceability, good reliability and the works.
Except for the above point which is admittedly fairly patchy due to the unanticipated growth in sales/numbers by Tata, which has not been matched by the service network capacity, I would recommend the Tata Tiago.

I see a lot of AMT bashing, but the fact is AMTs are a pretty reliable, low maintenance and FE friendly option. If your only/primary driver is an AMT you get used to it pretty fast, and the differences are noticeable only if you change frequently between varieties of automatics.

I'm speaking from first hand experience having transitioned to and enjoying AMTs for last 4 years after a decade of driving TCs.

Last edited by NowNew7 : 11th December 2023 at 13:17. Reason: Formatting / Removed orphaned tags
NowNew7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 02:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was actually thinking of suggesting the Amaze; but a little worried about the Honda's future plans in India. Plus, we don't know if Amaze will be existing 7-8 years down the line further hampering the resale.
I think the Amaze is selling fairly well and rightfully so. It has got the best auto box for the price and a fairly no nonsense pleasant cabin and driving experience. Even if the car gets discontinued you will definitely get parts for it for another 10 years atleast. If buying the latest is a priority then perhaps check out the updated baleno? Although I would personally still advise that you go for the Amaze CVT in whichever trim fits the budget
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 08:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the following around the 10 lakh on road mark, in order of my preference :

1. i20 Sportz IVT : alleviates all your concerns but would come around 10.8 lakhs on road Goa. Check if year end discounts drive it below 10.

2. Honda Amaze : already explained above and its a good first car to have. Honda's future seems more optimistic than before with their future SUV plans so 10 years of spares and support will not be a concern.

3. Altroz XMA plus : Fits the bill, the wet clutch DCA hasn't reported many issues. The usual Tata disclaimers apply though. If getting this then I guess it would be better to read out the 10 commandments of DSG to the drivers of the new car

As for AMTs, at 10 lakhs they're best avoided. Just drove a Nexon XZA yesterday in traffic and slow roads.
I was better off with a manual.

Last edited by shancz : 12th December 2023 at 08:39. Reason: Added amt line
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 09:26   #9

Take a test drive of Baleno AMT. It has a long list of features. However, it comes with AMT transmission but it is better implemented. I drove it recently and found it to be good for a sedate driving.
TheSMG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 10:06   #10
BHPian

Fronx Delta AMT. It's a well build car and the amt is good. It's a little over 10L but it's a great option at 10L mark.
venukrithish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 10:26   #11

Honestly would suggest the Baleno Zeta AGS (AMT). Has all the bells and whistles and 6 airbags from Zeta variant as well. Though Honda's are reliable I don't think the Amaze/Honda is going to live the next 8 years to have a fuss free ownership. So at this moment Baleno AGS would be your best bet if you plan on having the vehicle for a long time.
Old 12th December 2023, 10:58   #12
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Considering your requirements, here are my recommendations for automatic cars in this budget:

1. Tata Altroz XMA Plus Petrol
Perhaps the safest car you could get in this segment with a proper automatic transmission (DCA) and more than enough space. The engine is a 1.2L 3-cylinder but considering it's their first car, power shouldn't be much of an issue, Moreover, other alternatives aren't exactly powerful either. It has an adequate feature set and should serve them well too. The Car is available at Rs.9.88 lakhs on-road Goa and you get a further cash discount of at least 15k for purchases invoiced this month, along with a 5k corporate bonus, there is a 10k additional exchange bonus (but that's irrelevant considering it's their first car) and some dealerships are offering upto 30k cash discount (instead of 15k) so try your best to get the maximum discount possible.

2. Hyundai i20 Sportz IVT
A bit over budget at Rs.10.86 lakhs on-road Goa but it comes with a cash discount varying from 10k to 20k depending on the dealership, coming to the car it's a no-nonsense vehicle with an adequate feature list and a CVT. The car has enough space and can be a reliable companion, with it being recently facelifted, the car is sure to remain in its current avatar for at least a couple of years more.

3. Honda Amaze S CVT
The Honda Amaze is a reliable, safe, and no-nonsense sedan with adequate features, enough space, and a smooth 1.2L CVT, you can't go wrong with the Amaze, it's a perfect car for new owners looking for a "proper" automatic car in this segment. The Amaze S CVT is priced at Rs. 10.18 lakhs on-road Goa and gets officially up to Rs.67K Benefits (Including Rs 25K Cash + Rs 15K Exchange Bonus + Corporate and loyalty), however, some dealers are offering more than 50k cash discount as well, so try your best for maximum discounts, and you could be in for a sweet deal.

If it is a manual you are after, you can get quite a few options in this budget ranging from the above cars in their manual counterparts to cars like the Maruti Brezza LXI, Hyundai Exter SX(O) 1.2, Hyundai Aura 1.2 SX(O), Maruti Swift 1.2 ZXI Plus, Maruti Baleno Zeta MT, Tata Punch Creative MT, Maruti Dzire ZXI Plus MT, Hyundai Grand i10 Nios Asta MT, Tata Nexon Smart 1.2 5MT and so on most of these cars besides the Nexon and Brezza are available in their AMT counterparts too within your budget, but I wouldn't recommend the AMT, and therefore have restricted the options to these.

Of these, Because you intend to hold your cars for long, and with traffic increasing by the day, I would recommend choosing a "proper" automatic from the initial 3 listed, or if not a top-of-the-line manual from these three as well. The other options are worth considering in the manual segment, but they aren't quite safe and have received poor crash test scores (the only exceptions are the Brezza and the Nexon which have their base manual trims under 10 lakh, or the Tata Punch which gets a similar engine to the Altroz).

Hope this helps! and feel free to DM me if you want any further help, I have the list of offers and discounts available for the other cars too, if you need it!
bijims is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 11:07   #13

Swift ZXi AMT. Nothing can beat the reliability and resale of a "Maruti Suzuki". It's our beater car for daily duties (has also done two 300kms+ Road trips). Though AMT needs getting use to, once you get hold of it in manual mode, it's pretty fun to drive IMO, considering its power to weight ratio. Plus if you factor in the mileage & resale quotient, it wont disappoint you 5 -7 years down the line.
d3v15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 12:04   #14
BHPian

I think if they can live with the MT, a Brezza Lxi or Vxi will make a great choice. It’s a segment above car and will be more comfortable & safer at highways while also not too big for urban usage. And the reliability will obviously be top notch.
Aakash118 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 12:17   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi Folks,.

Requesting your kind inputs as they need to finalize in a week or two due to the stock limitations for this month.

Mods: Kindly merge if there is any suitable thread.
My 2 cents..

1. Altroz XMA - will fulfill most of the needs.
2. Renault Kiger - If the budget can be extended a little further. But believe me, your cousin will not regret it.

Avoid AMTs strictly. No matter how good they are. They have no match to proper automatics.

Last edited by satish.gawai : 12th December 2023 at 12:39.
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks