Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 17:28   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@rajshenoy one GTO637 per door will be fine. Unless you want to try components in the front doors. They will be a bit more costly (GTO607c at about 6.5K), but will give a better front stage. Decide with your budget in mind.

The Blau Mumbai is iPod ready. But you need Blau's proprietary iPod interface (about 5.5K) to get the job done completely. ANd the interface is not that good -- I tried it for some time on my Blau Casablanca and gave it back.

For iPod and USB compatibility, the 2007 lineup of Pioneers will be good. You wll still need their cables to get the connectivity done. A Pio 6950 would be about 8K w/o B&W. I think there are some Kenwood HUs at about 10K that take USN input directly, without any additional cable. No idea of model numbers, though. Blau units with USB input are pretty costly (starting at about 16K) and are not very VFM at the B&W prices.
Thanks yaar...

I think burning CD would be a better idea
in 5.5K i can burn as many CDs as i want.. i was just hoping that i have options in market..

I know pio stuff are great....but only thing i am worried abt is, if i go for B/W the cost would be more..

I dont know how good they are without B/W

Some of my friends are suggesting sony xplod for HU. but from the threads in this forum..i am yet to find any lover for sony HU
Old 11th April 2007, 17:50   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
I have learnt that for those who want to drve their speakers via HU only should have speakers with larger impedance. GTO637 has 92 dB and CS2165 has 91 dB. How much diff can this 1 dB possibily make ?
(a) The higher impedance, lesser the current drawn from source. So they are easier to drive. But most of the car audio speakers are 4 ohms.

(b) The dB figures you quoted are speaker sensitivity. A higher value means their response to a signal is better. 2 speakers with the same impedance can have different sensitivity.

(i) In terms of sound levels, 3dB increase doubles the volume.
Old 11th April 2007, 17:58   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I dont know how good they are without B/W

Some of my friends are suggesting sony xplod for HU. but from the threads in this forum..i am yet to find any lover for sony HU
they are the same if you have b/w or not....and normal they dont have any fault in them unless they are misshandled....

Ya sony HU are not worth it these days....they have lost there sound and are just time pass stuf....
Old 11th April 2007, 18:04   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
(a) The higher impedance, lesser the current drawn from source. So they are easier to drive. But most of the car audio speakers are 4 ohms.

(b) The dB figures you quoted are speaker sensitivity. A higher value means their response to a signal is better. 2 speakers with the same impedance can have different sensitivity.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge..

Do you mean that unless you are going for amplifiers, you wont utilize the full power of your speakers?

Also, if this is the case, do i really need something like a JBL or xplod will do? (i plan for just HU + 4 door speakers)
Old 11th April 2007, 18:13   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for my lack of knowledge..

Do you mean that unless you are going for amplifiers, you wont utilize the full power of your speakers?

Also, if this is the case, do i really need something like a JBL or xplod will do? (i plan for just HU + 4 door speakers)
if you are going to listen the music to enjoy and not to blast out then you would not need a amp.....go for a 4 speaker (front comp and rear ovals in the rear deck) that will be fine....but the amp will improve the sound as it will have more power to play loud without adding distortion to it.....
Old 11th April 2007, 22:59   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The Blau Mumbai is iPod ready. But you need Blau's proprietary iPod interface (about 5.5K) to get the job done completely. ANd the interface is not that good -- I tried it for some time on my Blau Casablanca and gave it back.
5.5K!!!...i never thought it would cost that much and overlooked this fact.. in fact i was thinking of getting an IPod interface later as I intended to make use of the IPOD which i am having...
Old 11th April 2007, 23:04   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean that unless you are going for amplifiers, you wont utilize the full power of your speakers? Also, if this is the case, do i really need something like a JBL or xplod will do? (i plan for just HU + 4 door speakers)
Whether you are planning for an amp or not, using speakers with better sensitivity is a good thing. But if your speakers are less sensitive (say 87dB) then your head unit will be stressed driving them. And that is not the only criteria, BTW.

JBL is a safe bet.
Old 12th April 2007, 13:32   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
For JBL 6 Inch Car Loudspeaker - CS2165 at Rs 2950
For JBL 6-1/2 Inch (160mm) 3-Way Loudspeaker - GTO637 at Rs 3950

@Hydrashock : By seeing the price and 3 way compared to 2 way , i think GTO637 is better of the two....GTO637 has 92 dB and CS2165 has 91 dB. How much diff can this 1 dB possibily make ?...what should impedance of a speaker ideally be ? Lower or Higher.

1. Listen to the speakrs. Dont judge them by the price or specs.

2. there is little difference between 92db and 91db in fact unless those specs are qualified like 92db/1W/1m (Nominal Imprdance 3.2 ohms) those specs mean NOTHING.

3. Impedance of speaker should match the impedance at which the amplifer driviing it is most comfortable. Some time back I had built an amp that was designed to drive a 2000ohms (yes 2K ohms) load. The Load in question was a pari of vintage Sennheisser 414 'phones.
Old 12th April 2007, 13:38   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Doubling of POWER is signified by in increase in 3db. Volume can be construed as volume of sound. For you to notice a significant increase (some say doubling) in sound (SPL) you'd need a 10db increase (or 10 times the power).

lets say you speakers are rated at 90db/1W/1m (NOMINAL 4 ohms). At 2 W the speakers will deliver 93db; at 4W, 96db; and at 10W 100db (assuming there is no compression due the suspensin limits being met).

This SPL will usually be measured at 400Hz, at 50Hz the picture will be quite different and at 20Hz your speaker (GTO637 for example) might not produce any audible output.
Old 12th April 2007, 13:40   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post
5.5K!!!...i never thought it would cost that much....
Pio interface costs 7K and the older Alpine (420) costs the same (7K) the new Alpine (422) costs a lot less (3K).
Old 13th April 2007, 18:06   #371
BHPian

Some question on speakers. I tried googling for them, but couldn't get satisfying answers.

1) Which will produce a better sound. a 2 way component speakers system or a 3 way coaxial speaker system ?

2) How is the mid range frequency delivered in 2 way component system ?

3) Does the 6x9 coaxial speaker system produce better bass than 6 1/2 " 3 way coaxial speaker ?

Speakers in question are JBL GTO607 comp (2 way), 6 1/2 " JBL 636 Coax (3 way) and 6 x 9 JBL GTO 937

Thanks
Old 14th April 2007, 10:06   #372
Team-BHP Support

1. Usually a good 2 way component should outperfrom a similar coax.
2. usually mid frequencies are delivered by hte midbass (some call it a woofer). Tweeters are normally used only above 3KHz or so.
3. a 6x9 will produce better bass than a 6". Better sound is subjective. A 6" should produce slightly better midrange than a 6x9. Choose your poison.
Old 14th April 2007, 20:38   #373

hi Team-BHPians,

I got my Swift after a lot of deliberations on whether to go for the getz/UV-A...
now here is my dilemma...it is the music system and my budget is 15 K..

And, I have to put the systems from the dealer as I can still get 5K worth accessories. It was part of the corporate offer in that 23K worth accessories will be given free( not really, it costed me 15K)..

the problem here is that they have limited options. All they have is Blaupunkt/sony/kenwood HUs..
and Blaupunkt/Sony speaker systems.

My final setup is to have a blaupunkt mumbai(7450) and GTX 173(2500/pair) on four doors.
Please let me know how will this setup be. I am not too keen on oval speakers purely because of the budget constraint.
I havent yet had a chance to listen to them as they dont have a setup of the GTX and have promised to paly it for me in a week...

For rear the options are GTX 693 or TX 369.1, in case i opt for the oval ones.

They have only one Alpine HU which is the 9846 E and it comes for 8990. It is said that this hu has an offer in which they are giving a pair of speaker free( didnt find anything on the HU box but they say it is Alpine speakers). So it can be Alpine hu +free for teh front door+ XL 217(4750)( tweeter to be put on the front).

Finally....i have been a follower of the threads and discussions on this forum and....you guys rock!!!!
really happy so see such an enthusiastic group out here.
Old 14th April 2007, 22:12   #374
BHPian

Quote:
But i like to use my USB pen drive...load songs and play whenever i want..

Also what are the other players in this range which can support USB ?

i have heard of Sony, pioneer(i guess only grey market will come in this price range)
Hi,

Just 3days back i changed pioDEH-P6950IB to 7950ub[GREY] it takes pen drive easily, according to manual it will accept upto 250gb mass storage USB drive, i tryed with seagate 80gb[.487A] it will show 'no audio' display!! even it is loaded with 5gb of MP3, wma, files, dont no what to do.

help.
Old 14th April 2007, 22:52   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoooj View Post
the problem here is that they have limited options. All they have is Blaupunkt/sony/kenwood HUs..
and Blaupunkt/Sony speaker systems.

My final setup is to have a blaupunkt mumbai(7450) and GTX 173(2500/pair) on four doors.
Please let me know how will this setup be. I am not too keen on oval speakers purely because of the budget constraint.
I havent yet had a chance to listen to them as they dont have a setup of the GTX and have promised to paly it for me in a week...

For rear the options are GTX 693 or TX 369.1, in case i opt for the oval ones.

They have only one Alpine HU which is the 9846 E and it comes for 8990. It is said that this hu has an offer in which they are giving a pair of speaker free( didnt find anything on the HU box but they say it is Alpine speakers). So it can be Alpine hu +free for teh front door+ XL 217(4750)( tweeter to be put on the front).
Between Blau & Kenwood & Sony HUs, I'd take Blau first and Kenwood next. NO Sony.

Between Blau & Sony speakers, its really easy. Blau, and NOT Sony.

If you're using the stock provisions in the doors (upto 6.5") you don't need ovals. You'll need only 6.5" speakers. You'll need a pair of ovals only if you plan to use an MDF parcel tray to setup the ovals behind the rear seats.

If you go for ovals in the rear, the TX series speaker would be the better (and more expensive) option than the GTX series.

The Mumbai & GTX173 should be better than any sony HU + sony speaker combo.

The Alpine 9846 is better than the Blau Mumbai (IMHO), sound wise. If you get free speakers also (Alpine), that would be a good deal.

If you can, listen to the HU & speakers and decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks