Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2010, 18:12   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Frankly, dunno. Somebody advised you here to go for radials, and you mentioned that you were insisting on radials Thought that you have done your homework.
Yes, i was insisting on Radials as i think they last more & is also better for ride comfort. but i was more adamant that i want 10" tyres because of the RC book issue i mentioned.

If i had got radials factory fitted, it would have been nice.

Quote:
To be brutally frank, the customer would not care.
Yes, thats the reason i am not willing to change to Radials right now.

Quote:
BTW, ever considered up-sizing the tyres on the other buses? No, I am not recommending, just asked if it is possible.
yes, its possible but then we have to get this changed in the RC book also. not too much of a headache but still...

thats the reason i was insisting 10" tyres as 'factory fitment'. Changing from nylons to radials does not require changes in RC book but change in tyre size has to be notified.

Quote:
Tyres come with a "ply rating" - number of layers of cloth or "ply". IIRC, they used to come in 14, 16 and 18 PR (nor sure of the exact details, my memory fails me now). Buses came with least PR.
yes, these tyres are 16 PR.

10.00 x 20 - 16 PR

Last edited by raj_5004 : 27th November 2010 at 18:13.
Old 27th November 2010, 20:25   #197
Senior - BHPian

Radial tyres are generally better in almost every regard compared to cross-ply tyres. They have a much better contact patch, which does not vary under changing load, as much as cross-ply tyres, which means much better traction and thus better control. They also offer lower rolling resistance, increasing fuel economy. Also, they are a lot more puncture resistant because of more flexure allowed in the tyre shape than in cross ply, which also helps in ride comfort.
Old 27th November 2010, 20:25   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
10.00 x 20 - 16 PR
When you replace them (due to wear, of course), go for next higher PR then. WIll cost a few bucks (less than 1K, my guesstimate) extra, But worth in terms of extra lasting, especially because you are against re treading. Do the staff / operating management agree with you on re-treading?
Old 27th November 2010, 20:46   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thats the reason i was insisting 10" tyres as 'factory fitment'. Changing from nylons to radials does not require changes in RC book but change in tyre size has to be notified.
But we are not doing changes in cars when we upsize tyres. Are we violating the rules or the rule is only for CV's.
Old 27th November 2010, 22:07   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
When you replace them (due to wear, of course), go for next higher PR then. WIll cost a few bucks (less than 1K, my guesstimate) extra, But worth in terms of extra lasting, especially because you are against re treading. Do the staff / operating management agree with you on re-treading?
in my case, the staff is insisting on re-treading but i am reluctant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
But we are not doing changes in cars when we upsize tyres. Are we violating the rules or the rule is only for CV's.
maybe we are violating the rules. its just that private car owners are not harassed that much but kerela police is very strict with buses! if God forbid, the bus has an accident & if the data in the RC book is found out to be wrong, then we will be in trouble.
Old 1st December 2010, 09:36   #201
Senior - BHPian

As posted here, I have received a mail that AL has launched their new range of BS3 buses. I feel sad that our new bus has been delivered only 4 days back & AL has launched the new series.

Ours is a ALPSV 4/83 (222" Viking) with H series 6DTI BS3 engine producing 167 hp. AL has launched a ALPSV 4/186 (222" Viking) with 6ETI3K BS3 engine producing 160 bhp.

Is the 4/186 superior to the 4/83?
Old 1st December 2010, 10:28   #202
Senior - BHPian

Well, based on the mail and other knowledge, my guess is that the new engine is basically the same engine but one featuring a inline FIP instead of a rotary one and also being devoid of some amount of electrnic control. This makes the engine a little more easy to service, especially as rotary FIPs though better are much more complicated, so is the more complicated ECUs of today. Initially when BSIII norms were introduced the ECU controlled rotary FIPs were used, while now the same norms have been met using old technology, thus this new engine.
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:17   #203
BHPian

Quote:
As posted here, I have received a mail that AL has launched their new range of BS3 buses. I feel sad that our new bus has been delivered only 4 days back & AL has launched the new series.

Ours is a ALPSV 4/83 (222" Viking) with H series 6DTI BS3 engine producing 167 hp. AL has launched a ALPSV 4/186 (222" Viking) with 6ETI3K BS3 engine producing 160 bhp.

Is the 4/186 superior to the 4/83?
"Superior" is not the issue. The BS3 EDC system would be costly to maintain in the long run that the normal InlineFIP. I believe since InlineFIP BS3 engined buses are now in the market (specifically kerala), so the resale value of Bus with EDC engine will be reduced. But dosen't matter, make the most of your new a/c bus within the first 3-4years....!
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:48   #204
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know that.

But as you said, lets make the most out of what we have now! The bus is in TVS now getting Air suspension fitted. Would be driven on Sunday to Prakash, bangalore. I would be reaching Prakash on Monday to finalize the coach details.
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:39   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
I believe since InlineFIP BS3 engined buses are now in the market (specifically kerala), so the resale value of Bus with EDC engine will be reduced.
Quote:
Sad to know that.
If i were you, i feel cheated in this case. I Would have asked for a discount in price if i have known about this in advance. I guess the dealer was waiting for the current lot to be cleared before announcing the new ones. Not sure every body follows the same practice or just AL/TVS.
All the best and enjoy what you got...
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:04   #206
Senior - BHPian

Raj there is nothing to worry.
Remeber there will be a slew of products lunched in a couple of months after the migration is completed. So donot worry about ur current 4/83.
IMO, I don agree the point that buses with EDC will fetch a lower resale value. Though the inline FIP will have its advantage over the EDC it cannot rival the later in the resale market.
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:40   #207
Senior - BHPian

I do feel cheated but there is nothing much i can do now.
Old 4th December 2010, 00:08   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Swap!!! Swap the EDC with FIP???

No, not now, when the bills start coming in!!
Old 4th December 2010, 08:12   #209
BHPian

Quote:
dear raj...no need to feel so! the product you have is in no way inferior to the one launched. AL BS3 EDC buses have been very successful since 2005. I was suggesting about the tipical kerala market, where people prefer less electronics atleast for CVs!...the market is in transformation to accept EDC. And not only you, most of the leading a/c bus operators in Kochi already have this 4/83. Having said that, all other makes - Tata (except 1512c) & Eicher have EDC enabled engines for BS3.

The only thing you should be careful (for now) about EDC is the quality of diesel. C that you fill from some good fuel station regularly. Also instruct the drivers to check/drain the waterseperator daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
If i were you, i feel cheated in this case. I Would have asked for a discount in price if i have known about this in advance. I guess the dealer was waiting for the current lot to be cleared before announcing the new ones. Not sure every body follows the same practice or just AL/TVS.
All the best and enjoy what you got...
If you had known in advance, Its better to wait than buying (current model) with additional discount. And FYI, this practice is common among almost all manuf./dealers. All dealers tries to sell what they have or what they get from manuf. rather than what the customer actually wants! This is a trend in the industry which will slowely change in future.

Last edited by Amartya : 4th December 2010 at 11:31. Reason: Back to back posts within 20 mins.
Old 4th December 2010, 09:01   #210
Senior - BHPian

I agree EDC involves more electronics & FIP is pretty straight forward & basic, but does that make EDC a pain to maintain? Wont it be reliable in the long run?

If the market is transforming to accept EDC, why has AL launched the new buses with FIP?

We always fill diesel from one regular pump near our office. I guess since we are their regular customer & all our buses go there, they wont fill bad diesel in our buses.

I had NOT known this in advance. If i had, forget a discount, I would have waited for the new model with FIP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks