Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:43   #1
Team-BHP Support

Scoop data on the Alto K10, WagonR AMT & more

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan who sent this information in (he prefers to remain anonymous). Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

Maruti Suzuki, India's largest carmaker in terms of sales, is planning to introduce a slew of new models and variants in the near future. Here's a quick look at what we can expect:

1. Production of the current Alto K10 has been stopped. We have already seen the facelifted K10 in spy pictures. Click here to read what BHPians have to say about the new Alto K10.

2. Maruti has had a successful run with the AMT-equipped Celerio hatchback and plans to introduce the gearbox in its other budget offerings as well. Therefore, the technology will be introduced in the Wagon R and Alto K10 hatchbacks.

3. The Swift Sport test vehicle is in the Gurgaon plant. However, the company has no plans to launch the car in the market as yet. Click here to read what BHPians have to say about the Swift Sport.

4. The launch of the Y9T, the company's first LCV and rival for the Tata Ace, has been pushed to 2015. The Y9T is rumoured to be powered by an 800 cc, twin-cylinder diesel engine. This engine is also likely to be used in the Celerio hatchback and the Eeco as well. Click here to read what BHPians have to say about the Y9T.

5. Maruti's C2 segment offering, the Ciaz sedan will be available with a conventional automatic gearbox in VXi+ and ZXi trims. The company has created an exclusive Ciaz-only sales team, which is being deployed in every dealership. They will sell only Ciaz and are currently being trained for the same. Manpower recruitment in this regard has been done already. The company has received more than 6,500 bookings for the sedan across dealerships in India. Click here to read what BHPians have to say about the Ciaz.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd September 2014 at 16:12. Reason: Removed extra word - production
Aditya is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:06   #2
BHPian

re: Scoop data on the Alto K10, WagonR AMT & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
3. The Swift Sport test vehicle is in the Gurgaon plant. However, the company has no plans to launch the car in the market as yet. Click here to read what BHPians have to say about the Swift Sport.
Extremely disappointing, to say the least. The Swift will continue to sell, but folks who were attracted to it for the sheer pleasure of driving will start to look elsewhere. The car is beginning to look dated in comparison to the new i20 and Polo and the upcoming Jazz. Hope they at least add (now basic) features like Bluetooth and electrically folding ORVMs in the planned 'facelift'.
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
[b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Extremely disappointing, to say the least. The Swift will continue to sell, but folks who were attracted to it for the sheer pleasure of driving will start to look elsewhere. The car is beginning to look dated in comparison to the new i20 and Polo and the upcoming Jazz. Hope they at least add (now basic) features like Bluetooth and electrically folding ORVMs in the planned 'facelift'.
I'm kind of confused here. Was the red car that was spied with DRL and new alloys supposed to be the swift facelift or the swift sport test vehicle? Or was it expected that the facelift will come with a sports variant along with regular ddis and vvt? I am going to buy swift zxi in the coming weeks and was waiting to see if the facelift comes with k14b engine. Can I safely assume this won't be the case? And even if a sports version of the facelift is launched, chances of a ddis with vgt are higher than a bigger petrol engine right?

Thank you

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2014 at 12:50. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:41   #4
BANNED

Re: Scoop data on the Alto K10, WagonR AMT & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
I'm kind of confused here. Was the red car that was spied with DRL and new alloys supposed to be the swift facelift or the swift sport test vehicle?
The red car seen in the images are of the Regular Swift with minor add-ons (aesthetically I mean) and nothing skin-deep.

There is a speculation that the Swift 'S' (aka Sport variant) to get the K14M petrol (1.4L K-series) and DDiS 200 (1.3 L 90PS VGT) both from the Ertiga.

Now how true this is and when can it turn into a reality is a big question mark. So you can go ahead and purchase the current generation Swift.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Maruti has had a successful run with the AMT-equipped Celerio hatchback and plans to introduce the gearbox in its other budget offerings as well. Therefore, the technology will be introduced in the Wagon R and Alto K10 hatchbacks.
Alto K10 with AMT would be the perfect car to use within the city!

What kind of timeline are we looking at by which these would be made available?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R AMT may cannibalise the Celerio Sales Completely.

Even though WR is a 20 year old car, Celerio does not have one single distinguishing factor other than the AMT.

WR not only scores better in space but also its ease of servicing it in any roadside shop as well.

Even the spares are cheaper for the ones which are not common.

Celerio may just lose its relevance.
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:52   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Wagon R AMT may cannibalise the Celerio Sales Completely.

Even though WR is a 20 year old car, Celerio does not have one single distinguishing factor other than the AMT.

WR not only scores better in space but also its ease of servicing it in any roadside shop as well.

Celerio may just lose its relevance.
I agree but I don't think Maruti is worried! They will be happy to have some or the other model from their portfolio sell well.

PS: I am not saying that the Celerio is bad but I am not sure if Maruti is trying to distinguish or favour more of Celerio sales wrt AMT versus the others.

Anurag.
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Anurag,

End of the day money stays with Maruti. But what is important is what maximizes the profit.

Selling more of Celerios or Celerio MTs against WagonR AMT vs MT.

Probably they want to be certain that the dead horse is flogged till dead and also ensure that the newbies like Grand 10 dont take away sales.

BTW, any WagonR sale would be a profit coz. the plant depreciation would have long been done.

It is a genuine CASH COW now.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2014 at 12:52. Reason: No acronyms when referring to cars please
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

If they want to really shake the market they need to see how many diesel hatch AMTs they can launch. That niche may only perhaps be addressed by Tata's Bolt if they choose to combine AMT with it.

While Maruti offering it with multiple models is a good strategy, that extra differentiator will come by combining with the Diesel options of those models.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Expanding the AMT is the best thing that can happen to Maruti - well planned!
But why no AMT on the Swift? Infact the Ritz had AT (conventional, albiet) but the swift never considered? Strange!

For once, i agree on the Swift Sports not being launched. The market for fast hatches is very small. They should/would rather spend their energy on other stuff!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:15   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Expanding the AMT is the best thing that can happen to Maruti - well planned!
But why no AMT on the Swift? Infact the Ritz had AT (conventional, albiet) but the swift never considered? Strange!
Exactly. There was news of a Swift AT launch on Sep 16th but it never happened.

I was thinking Swift with the 4 speed AT box will be a very practical choice as a runabout car. The AMT may not be the best as it just isn't as smooth as the regular AT.

AMT for Alto K10 and WagonR is definitely the way to go.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

WagonR AMT with ABS, Airbags will be the perfect city commuter. Hope its not too far away.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]
1. Production of the current Alto K10 has been stopped. We have already seen the facelifted K10...

3. The Swift Sport test vehicle is in the Gurgaon plant. However, the company has no plans to launch the car in the market as yet.

4. The launch of the Y9T, the company's first LCV and rival for the Tata Ace, has been pushed to 2015. The Y9T is rumoured to be powered by an 800 cc, twin-cylinder diesel engine. This engine is also likely to be used in the Celerio hatchback and the Eeco as well.

5. Maruti's C2 segment offering, the Ciaz sedan will be available with a conventional automatic gearbox in VXi+ and ZXi trims. The company has created an exclusive Ciaz-only sales team, which is being deployed in every dealership. They will sell only Ciaz and are currently being trained for the same. Manpower recruitment in this regard has been done already. .
1) The Alto new K10 is based on Alto 800. This is not the facelift, but rather the Alto 800 installed with K10. Nice idea, but the car in camouflage looked better than the more revealing spy shots. Nevertheless, it will sell good IMO.

2) If Alto K10 and specially Wagon R gets AMT, it would simply kill off any available competition in AT segment. AMT + factory fitted CNG or AMT+Diesel Wagon R = blockbuster success. Wagon R one of the very few cars still available with comfortable and ADJUSTABLE FRONT HEADRESTS. All others,including Grand i10 have short cut seats for India. Elsewhere on TBHP, I had pointed out that Export version of Grand i10 has adjustable front headrests, but not India. Wagon R turns out to the honest, spacious and very practical car. AMT will take it one step further.

3) Without improved/higher power engines, the sport version is next to no use.

4) I am waiting for Celerio Diesel. It will showcase what MSIL could achieve and further on what can be expected out of diesel motors developed by MSIL. A glimpse would suffice. But its getting way too much delayed.

5) Ciaz has to be watched over for an year to comment on its success or failure. Pricing yet not available and MSIL is trying to take enthusiasm over Ciaz a bit too far.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:53   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's some more insider dope on Maruti. Thanks to the Team-BHP fan who shared it

Quote:
Maruti is working on a car lease program currently. The same is being tried out with the dealers first. The demo cars will be leased out to them, rather than sold to the dealer.

This Leasing program may be introduced to the general public in a couple of years time.

2. The facelift Swift and Dzire are ready in the plant since August, but launch was delayed due to excess stock (of the old cars).

3. Minimum waiting period on the Ciaz will be 2 months (VDI, VDI+,ZDI). ZDI+ will be around 5 months.

4. Last few units of K10 remaining in the plant, limited trims (mostly LXi) and colors. Expect some clearance discount on them next month.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Maruti, please look at the numbers of new i20. I am sure even new Jazz will have good takers.

All you have to do is give us the Swift with 1.4 K series engine (not sure if it can be bumped up to 100 bhp somehow on paper at least).

and AT swift 1.4 will be the perfect thing. Indian hatchback segment is pretty exciting and buyers dont mind shelling out 10 lakhs on hatch backs now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks