Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2017, 13:04   #76
BHPian

re: 2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

Prices announced!!
2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!-capture.jpg

Looks like they are well priced!.
redbaron91 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 13:18   #77
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: 2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

A true game-changer . After a long time, we are seeing such innovation in the premium segment. Else, the E-Class, 5-Series & A6 have more or less offered the same thing for decades. There wasn't much of a differentiator.

This long wheelbase E-Class boasts of rear seat comfort & space that is comparable to the S-Class! The 5-Series & A6 aren't even comparable in the department. Considering that 90% of owners in this segment are chauffeur-driven (and the fact that the BMW is so cramped) makes the E-Class a no-brainer choice.

Yes, the long wheelbase will make it less fun to drive, but only 1% of enthusiasts will care about that. To the rest of the market, this is the car to have.

Brave move by Mercedes in bringing only the long wheelbase here. I believe we're the sole RHD market to get this car. Back it up with such pricing and you have a winner. I predict that the E-Class will easily be the no.1 in this segment for a long time to come.

Mercedes has the competition licked.

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2017 at 13:20.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 13:21   #78
BANNED

brilliantly priced.

from the presentation, looks like the only diesel option is the 350d ?
Old 28th February 2017, 13:24   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
brilliantly priced.

from the presentation, looks like the only diesel option is the 350d ?
Yes, only the 350d as of now. Mercedes has a new 2.0 diesel to replace the 2.2 which has been in use for many years now. My guess is they are testing it out for Indian fuel, before they launch it.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 13:59   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A true game-changer . After a long time, we are seeing such innovation in the premium segment. Else, the E-Class, 5-Series & A6 have more or less offered the same thing for decades. There wasn't much of a differentiator.

This long wheelbase E-Class boasts of rear seat comfort & space that is comparable to the S-Class! The 5-Series & A6 aren't even comparable in the department. Considering that 90% of owners in this segment are chauffeur-driven (and the fact that the BMW is so cramped) makes the E-Class a no-brainer choice.

Yes, the long wheelbase will make it less fun to drive, but only 1% of enthusiasts will care about that. To the rest of the market, this is the car to have.

Brave move by Mercedes in bringing only the long wheelbase here. I believe we're the sole RHD market to get this car. Back it up with such pricing and you have a winner. I predict that the E-Class will easily be the no.1 in this segment for a long time to come.

For most owners, yes it's perfect. S Class comfort and tech at half the price. But there were a few people who bought a 5 series/E-Class because it was a perfect balance between comfort and performance.

C class was too small and S class too boat like. That 'mid segment' was the class which was luxurious and sporty. With the introduction of the LWB version, I don't think it'll be anymore.

Though if I'm buying a car of this class, would go with this only. 5 series looks too hideous now. Though it's very technologically advanced in it's own way.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 28th February 2017 at 14:00.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 14:04   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post

C class was too small and S class too boat like. That 'mid segment' was the class which was luxurious and sporty. With the introduction of the LWB version, I don't think it'll be anymore.

Though if I'm buying a car of this class, would go with this only. 5 series looks too hideous now. Though it's very technologically advanced in it's own way.
The current C class is actually more spacious than the 5 series and the A6. I've sat in all 3. The 530D is the worst cause of the different seats.

The new C has actually filled that gap perfectly. It's spacious, luxurious and a with C200, C220 and C250 has very decent engines as well.

Mercedes has been very smart with the C, GLC and the E. Just looking at the engines and options, you know how clever each is positioned.

The new C has gone up to the old E levels easily and now the E LWB is in old S class segment.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 14:23   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Mercedes have nailed it on price!

The report will be coming soon but the car is pretty good to drive despite the bulk. It's no BMW though. All the action is in the back (dont get me wrong!). I fell asleep in the back easily. More soon
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 14:43   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The current C class is actually more spacious than the 5 series and the A6. I've sat in all 3. The 530D is the worst cause of the different seats.

The new C has actually filled that gap perfectly. It's spacious, luxurious and a with C200, C220 and C250 has very decent engines as well.

Mercedes has been very smart with the C, GLC and the E. Just looking at the engines and options, you know how clever each is positioned.

The new C has gone up to the old E levels easily and now the E LWB is in old S class segment.

+1 Viddi, just bought a C 250 last month and I really find it spacious. You never find a lack of legroom at the rear also. The front seats a comfortable. The engine is nice and revvy in the sports+ mode, loved the 9g tronic gearbox. The interiors are well built and everything feels premium.
It probably is the right balance for city and highway runs.

Fantastic pricing on the E 200. It's sure doesn't have a competitor at that price in terms of comfort. Though maybe cumbersome to drive for the self driven in the city. Over 5 metres is a lot of car.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 15:05   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes has practically ruled the E Class out of contention for prosepective self driven customers. Its a pity that the high quality and gizmo laden dash will be enjoyed by the chauffeur alone! Personally I don't think that's a very wise decision at a time when there are plenty of car owners out there who currently self drive a 3/ A4 /C / Superb/ Passat and are looking to upgrade to the next segment. I guess MB India knows that it'll be hard to pull the self driven customers into their showrooms with the impending launch of the new 5er, so you might as well go all out please the other category of buyer out there.

I personally hate the stretched limo look. Love the new S, but this stretched E looks nowhere as classy as the S.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 28th February 2017 at 15:10.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 15:21   #85
BHPian

With a 13+lac difference between the petrol and Diesel models, the E200 is a no brainer.

I mean I am all with the air suspension system and the ride height control, but the E class on steel springs always has had the best ride quality.

Time for the competition to get going.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 18:50   #86
BHPian

Re: 2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

This is absolutely fantastic. The E200 is plenty of car for the chauffeured individual. However if the E is not already a stretch, the the extra 13 Lakh Rupees is well spent for the 6 cylinder engine. Not for grunt but for engine refinement and highway cruising ability.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 19:07   #87
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

Very aggressive pricing, good for the customer. Now BMW will be under pressure on 5 series. MB India is truly operating like a market leader. I believe their leadership is bold, both with products and pricing. This should become best selling Car from MB India without any doubts. I won't be surprised if this becomes largest selling sedan even 2 segments lower.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th February 2017 at 19:09.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 19:16   #88
Senior - BHPian

Won't be surprised if Mercedes would introduce the regular E class at some point later along with the E63 AMG. This would give its competitors a headache. Just look at the Mercedes portfolio now. They must have about 20 different models/variants. The have a model and a variant at every price point, right from 25 lakhs to about 3-4 crore. Can we safely say that in terms of model line up Mercedes is the Maruti of the luxury segment.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 19:17   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Fair price I feel. Mercedes priced it at a level that can't be overlapped by potential cut-price 7 series/A8. Their current line up is excellent, very less confusion/cannibalization. You keep hearing about BMW customers confused between 3 3GT 5 etc. No such problem with Mercedes. C can easily cater to regular E class customers. Long E is perfectly targeted at chauffer driven folks. CLA looks gorgeous and appeals to young people. Very impressed with Mercedes. Though I feel sad about not having the regular E in our market like most of us here who prefer to self drive.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 20:30   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
... Their current line up is excellent, very less confusion/cannibalization. ..No such problem with Mercedes.
Totally agree. The current lineup is like that of the 2016 Apple Mac lineup: everything is expensive, classy, niche, targeted to a particular segment. Almost zero overlapping, and virtually no shopping tools required!

The huge difference between Petrol an Diesel versions - understood the 350D is a beast, yet- might create (among premium carmakers) a trend of pricing P and D versions with massive difference, like 10 to 20L?

More bad news for the gooey fuel
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks