Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:25   #631
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
The General Tendancy in Bangalore is " Swalpa Adjust Maadi".. translates to pls adjust .

There is a news yday or day before in the papers in Blore of a Rs 5 hike in milk prices per litre. That works out to a cool 20% hike. Not a voice of opposition is heard. No News papers wrote columns. No TV channel had live debates. Im sure most people wouldnt have even read about it.

When Kerala govt decides ( or even thinks) to hike the price of milk by a rupee, the states goes to a stand still with hartals/bandhs/strikes/rallies what not.News papers carry pages of literature about it, past hikes ,the impact etc etc. All channels have live debates. People come out and ensure the hike is withdrawn

So they wont dare to increase the 6% RT to even 6.1 %, but in Karnataka, even if there is a hike, we would just say " swalpa adjust maadi"
Not the right example IMO.

To put things in perspective , a litre of milk by Milma , Kerala sells for Rs.25 where as a similar milk from Nandini in Bangalore costs Rs 21/. litre today. Heritage milk in Bangalore is 27 / litre.

So keralites with all their hartals / bandhs still pay substantially more for milk.

We should demand best of roads & we should be equally ready to pay up road taxes , without resorting to subterfuge. You will see so many DL , UP , CH registered cars being driven to offices in BLR. So when you have a job in Blr , bought a house here & your kids go to schools here, one should stop pretending one is still a visitor & pay up the taxes. ( those who are on genuine short term assignments of less than a year can of course use the toll receipts to prove their case otherwise)

to give an example , There is an article in todays VK which says that Bagmane tech park owes BBMP 3.5 crores in property taxes. But Bagmane & its employees were agitating recently asking BBMP to widen their approach road ! Now I would expect bagmane to pay their property tax before they agitate !

Last edited by w 12 : 23rd December 2011 at 15:35.
w 12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:06   #632
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Saw heavy duty road tax checking near Koramangla BDA complex (bangalore) today morning. All KL,MH, GJ, WB cars neatly lined up and a gang of 6-7 cops checking documents.
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:34   #633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by w12

to give an example , There is an article in todays VK which says that Bagmane tech park owes BBMP 3.5 crores in property taxes. But Bagmane & its employees were agitating recently asking BBMP to widen their approach road ! Now I would expect bagmane to pay their property tax before they agitate !
He should also pay tax on his PY reg Aston

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th December 2011 at 08:01. Reason: fixing quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:43   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Not the right example IMO.
There is an article in todays VK which says that Bagmane tech park owes BBMP 3.5 crores in property taxes. But Bagmane & its employees were agitating recently asking BBMP to widen their approach road ! Now I would expect bagmane to pay their property tax before they agitate !
Offtopic:
Maybe it is part of the agitation. BTW the Tech Park has contributed funds to widen the Suranjan Das Road close to five years back but still BBMP is working on it despite the fact that it connects a International Tech Park that employs thousands if not lakhs of people. Thats is the state of infrastructure development in India.
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:51   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
He should also pay tax on his PY reg Aston
If you register the Aston Martin Rapide in Pondicherry you get a posh beach facing flat free (PY residence) with the car But I agree that is not correct!
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:44   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Please do not break the law or evade taxes because others are doing it. There is a difference between evading tax and avoiding tax. When you evade, you ARE breaking the law. But you can avoid tax by being on the right side of the law. Like Besb29 mentioned, when there is a provision which says that if you can substantiate that your primary state of residence is outside Karnataka and you are here on a temporary visit, then you are avoiding the tax by carrying these documentary evidences at all times and being smart about it.

i think u got me wrong there. the context was that somehow i got the impression as we r the only law breaking or tax evading country. that is not the case.

Lets look at this out of state re-reg issue again.

Suppose I am from Delhi. I have a 10L car. I get a job in Bangalore and come here. I bring my car here. As we can drive car for a year without re-reg, after 11 months I think of KA reg. I go to RTO and get all the endless list of docs. No problem.

Additionally, for re-reg, NOC is required. So I need a NOC from Delhi RTO. For that a PCC (Police Clearance Certificate) is required. Now my question is:
1. How to get NOC in BLR? do i need to send the car to delhi for that? (that would mean 40k expense + risk of getting scratches/dents/accident). Supposing there is no need to send. In that case what is the GUARANTEE that delhi RTO will issue NOC and not raise some stupid issue (just because they need to be "paid" to do the job).
=> for NOC, most likely a "BRIBE" would be required. Isint BRIBE something illegal?

KA RTO site mentions we can send form and original RC, Insurance and PUC to prev RTO (delhi in this case) to get NOC. how many of us would be comfortable doing that? what if my application gets lost in the files in delhi RTO. then i have another headache to get back my original RC, Insurance etc back!!!

2. For NOC, as PCC is required, will it be possible to get it without me being there? What is the GUARANTEE police would be good and would give the PCC?

3. Somehow I got the PCC, NOC and all the forms. Now what is the guarantee I will get the re-reg done without paying any more BRIBE here in BLR???

4. Supposing re-reg is done. I need back my LTT paid to Delhi RTO. Now what is the GAURANTEE from the govt that I will get back my LTT without paying any more BRIBE? on the site they have mentioned re-reg takes almost 2-3 months! So I will be driving without reg for 2-3 months!

Since the govt here cannot guarantee us any of the above, cannot provide us any good roads and already charges lot of taxes for each liter of petrol we consume (blr fuel rates are 10 rupees more than delhi, and delhi has such fantastic roads really!). Without this guarantee, i am not willing to do illegal things in order to get KA reg for my Delhi car!

i dont get why they cant make it simpler. they can do all this procedure for us (getting NOC + LTT refund + reg). they can charge me for that (legal bribe) and i will be willing to pay it. they can even outsource this to private companies. There is precedent for this also - passport office, railway reservation. both provide legal bribe option (aka tatkaal) for speedy service which is v popular. they will need to ensure a timeline to complete their job (max should be 2 weeks). they can arrange for noc and alongwith tht get back the LTT. Take only the difference from the customer so that there is no refund process. I think this will be welcomed by all.
Old 23rd December 2011, 21:02   #637
BANNED

The question here is whether the rest of the people living here/permanently settled in bangalore (myself included) are fools to pay the hefty taxes?

I absolutely agree with W 12 on this issue, those here on a temporary assignment can use cars from HR , DL etc but people with Kids studying in Bangalore might as well stop being stingy and pay up.

This also applies to the smart people who buy their cars from PY/GA to save up.

example: my friend has been some driving his Punjab reg Ford Icon in Bangalore since the last 8 years.
Old 24th December 2011, 03:41   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Suppose I am from Delhi. I have a 10L car. I get a job in Bangalore and come here. I bring my car here.
Good! Now you got job at Bangalore so you must be shifting permanently to Bangalore. Why not before leaving Delhi get the NOC and drive to Bangalore. Also, apply for LTT refund.

Quote:
i dont get why they cant make it simpler. they can do all this procedure for us (getting NOC + LTT refund + reg).
Very soon it will become simple as all RTOs are getting connected with each other. NIC is working in this direction. One of my friend is working with NIC confirmed this. When this will be reality, it is supposed that all procedures of transfer, refund would become easy.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:59   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

While I agree at some level that it is one's duty as a good citizen to pay all taxes and duties owed by one, there comes a point where you have to wonder about this selective enforcement of certain laws in our country. Why for example must I re-register and pay LTT to move to Bangalore while someone who lives in NCR (and North India in general) is seemingly exempt from it? Why don't the authorities have some provision for someone who is peripetetic and moves across different states, dividing time between say Bangalore and Hosur and someone on this thread does? Say the Tn resident spends half his time in Bangalore- he spends money there, boosting up the local economy and therefore is GOOD for Karnataka isn't he? Is the LTT amount that critical compared to what he will contribute on a life time basis?

Am wondering how states in the US handle this: I know a lot of people who live in one state and work in another.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 08:35   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Good! Now you got job at Bangalore so you must be shifting permanently to Bangalore. Why not before leaving Delhi get the NOC and drive to Bangalore. Also, apply for LTT refund.
thats because when u r in delhi you dont even know about this problem!!! (Unless you browse t-bhp or some sites like that). there is no such witch hunt in delhi for out of state vehicles. so for most people, they will only come to know of this problem once they are here in bangalore!

Also getting a NOC and NCC in north india isint going to be easy. you will have to pay bribes for that! I m not comfortable with that! So I would say, first govt should set its house in order, provide a hassle free, bribe free and time bound infrastructure for people to get re-registration then only ask for it otherwise what govt is doing is also plain illegal!
Old 24th December 2011, 11:03   #641
Team-BHP Support

@ Noop

The authorities in-charge must arrive at some sort of compromise. They can't go on a tax-drive and stop everyone on the road with cars registered from different States.

They must be able to differentiate between those who are genuinely visitors or those who aren't settled down as such, from those who are intentionally flouting the rules of the road and evading the authorities.

These agents are smarter than most people think. They have people looking at you and I, and they especially keep a close watch on those with cars of different registration.

The problem here is, they (the authorities) aren't interested in ensuring that all vehicles are registered here. They're interested in making a quick-buck while they're at it. Now, if they change themselves and do this tax-drive for the purpose of ensuring that people aren't blatantly breaking the tax-statutes, then it's alright.

But they're singling out those genuine visitors and harassing them, while people driving high-end cars registered in PY are getting away Scot-free.
Old 24th December 2011, 11:57   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But they're singling out those genuine visitors and harassing them, while people driving high-end cars registered in PY are getting away Scot-free.
It sucks that we pay more for fuel here than anywhere in the country. It sucks that road tax is the highest in our city. But it sucks even more when you see your fellow Bangalorean registering his car in PY and blatantly driving it around and getting away with it! When I bought a new Laura this year I paid close to 2.5L as road tax. I have sold our 8 yr old Corolla which was in immaculate condition for about 3 lakhs. So almost the entire resale value of my car has gone towards just the road tax of my new car. And its not like I am jumping up several segments with my new car here. Having dutifully paid my taxes I would like to see some enforcement from the authorities so that those who are not doing so are caught. I do understand the pain and harassment that genuine visitors are going through in the process.

I really hope the laws are amended and some central uniform tax is imposed throughout the country and states are given a percentage share based on the location where the registration is taking place and vehicles are allowed to move freely within the country.

Quote:
i am not willing to do illegal things in order to get KA reg for my Delhi car!
I understand your sentiment and share your feelings of frustration and anger. Sadly this is the state of affairs in our country. Long live Anna Hazare!

Quote:
thats because when u r in delhi you dont even know about this problem!!! (Unless you browse t-bhp or some sites like that).
When one gets a job in another city one has to do some research about the local laws and ways. Just like hunting for a house on rent/lease (rental laws) , finding a school for your children, etc... one has to research how strict the laws are about outside state vehicles in that place.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 15:41   #643
Senior - BHPian

If our blighted government authorities were to view their jobs as "customer service" jobs and considered us common blokes to be their "customers" then I guess concepts like "customer lifetime value" and "customer lifecycle management" etc would enter into their ugly thick skulls!
However, since our government do not (and probably never will) act like a Senior Management Team in a company (here the country can be likened to a company), there is no point wasting our breath.
Many years ago I met with a Belgian Economic Delegation that was visiting India to evaluate possible business opportunities. The delegation comprised senior bureaucrats, junior/ mid level ministers and a bunch of lawyers and chartered accountants. It was a treat to see them - there were about 20 people - 7 or 8 ladies and 12-13 gentlemen. Prior to this or even after this, I ve not seen such an agglomeration of high quality professional people outside of a boardroom!
Just contrast that with our Babu's and Neta Cap wearing clodhoppers who get to go on Foreign Junkets and spend the rest of their time either swatting flies, taking bribes or doing big Yagnas!
Im quite disgusted really but since I am a citizen and have to live here as of now, I am grinning and bearing it - albeit with difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Why don't the authorities have some provision for someone who is peripetetic and moves across different states, dividing time between say Bangalore and Hosur and someone on this thread does? Say the Tn resident spends half his time in Bangalore- he spends money there, boosting up the local economy and therefore is GOOD for Karnataka isn't he? Is the LTT amount that critical compared to what he will contribute on a life time basis?
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 08:17   #644
BHPian

Proposed review of Indian MVA 1988
http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...8316934244.pdf
Old 28th December 2011, 11:05   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
The question here is whether the rest of the people living here/permanently settled in bangalore (myself included) are fools to pay the hefty taxes?

I absolutely agree with W 12 on this issue, those here on a temporary assignment can use cars from HR , DL etc but people with Kids studying in Bangalore might as well stop being stingy and pay up.

This also applies to the smart people who buy their cars from PY/GA to save up.

example: my friend has been some driving his Punjab reg Ford Icon in Bangalore since the last 8 years.
Well...The key aspect should be competition. We should be encouraging healthy competitive practices all around.

I think that if a person drives a outside state registration car in KA- Bangalore (or any other) state, so be it. If you want them to register here, be more competitive with the tax structure. If the taxes were not atrociously high here, people would register their cars anyway.

The road tax structure in Delhi is higher compared to that in Gurgaon/Chandigarh. There are many people who register their cars in those cities to save up money. But there are other set of people who still register their cars in Delhi itself (to avoid future hassles). Nobody gives a damn. And nobody should either.

I don't think KA (or any other state for that matter) govt will commence many such policies to lacal population. See, in this case, none of the people who come from outside vote. So, their happiness/non happiness is insignificant to the local state. Bottom line is , I don't support the practice of forcing people to pay up local taxes. Period!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 28th December 2011 at 11:07.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks