Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2013, 19:32   #931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Last weekend (I think it was Saturday), saw RTO folks near the Indiranagar BDA complex (near the park opposite the complex) around 9pm
Guess they have been given stiff year end targets. Was there any news article on the checks being done these days?
Old 15th December 2013, 23:42   #932
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Today I saw RTO @NICE Road-BG Road junction, around 11:30 AM. They had stopped TN, PY, KL and MH registered cars.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 12:21   #933
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Just saw this in FB. Point to think here is the guy shown the officer some petrol bills. And the inspector tore it and thrown away. What can we do in such situations?
Old 19th December 2013, 13:23   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Just saw this in FB. Point to think here is the guy shown the officer some petrol bills. And the inspector tore it and thrown away. What can we do in such situations?
Had read on the btp website a long time back, that stopping vehicles apart for any offences committed does not come under it's jurisdiction ( I may be wrong). But cops who want to make quick bucks will overlook anything. In this case I believe he was initially booked for speeding and then the cop decided to go the extra mile looking at the guy's number plate. In these scenarios, I think it would be best if you aware of what you're rights are and upfront it politely - need be, keep relevant print outs for ready reference. But trust your gut- whether to fight or flee (pay up).

Last edited by aajohn : 19th December 2013 at 13:40.
Old 20th December 2013, 00:12   #935
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted the RTO again yesterday(19th) looking for other state cars, @ NICE-BG Road junction. Saw around 6 other state cars caught.
Old 20th December 2013, 11:16   #936
BHPian

As usual RTO checking is on today opposite to HP office in EC. I think they are in full swing now, as I am seeing them almost every week at this place since last month.

Couple of TN/KL registered cars and few non KA registered 2 wheelers were being checked. I saw few women drivers among them too.

Beware!!
Old 20th December 2013, 12:03   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Spotted the RTO again yesterday(19th) looking for other state cars, @ NICE-BG Road junction. Saw around 6 other state cars caught.
Saw the same when I passed the area around 4PM. Saw KL, GA, UP cars being stopped. There was a black PY regd Audi Q5 following me, and I was curious what will happen. The aggressive RTO 'executives' just glanced it and not even attempt to stop it. So between a KL regd CRV and PY regd Q5, they chose the former and probably would have got their kill!

On a related note, the Audi dealer is also party to encouraging the tax evasion. A friend who bought an A4 was suggested by the dealer to get it registered in PY. Seems they have a standard 'process' for the same. My friend rejected the idea and went with KA registration.
Old 20th December 2013, 14:28   #938
BHPian

Does anybody has RTO's formula to calculate depreciation?
Old 20th December 2013, 14:47   #939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
On a related note, the Audi dealer is also party to encouraging the tax evasion. A friend who bought an A4 was suggested by the dealer to get it registered in PY. Seems they have a standard 'process' for the same. My friend rejected the idea and went with KA registration.
A colleague of mine has a PY reg BmW but his family lives there and travels every two weeks there, What I have been told is that the local RTO are norally charge Rs 3000 for registration. Under the dealer arrangement, once pays Rs10-15000 and the fact that a member of the Karnataka RTO regularly visits Pondy for a piece of pie.

There is also a demo route.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/27542250.cms

Explains why a Red 3 series with demo plates was up for sale last month
Old 20th December 2013, 15:17   #940
Senior - BHPian

Taxi operators, private bus operators, truck operators etc all have some understanding with cops. This is the reason why these guys drive the way they do.

Its only the common people who dont have a cartel and understanding with the authorities.
Old 20th December 2013, 15:55   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The aggressive RTO 'executives' just glanced it and not even attempt to stop it. So between a KL regd CRV and PY regd Q5, they chose the former and probably would have got their
Wow. They would have got a 'bumper' catch had they stopped the Q5. Guess they will keep it for month end ;-) just in case they don't meet their numbers!
Old 22nd December 2013, 07:15   #942

Need Suggestion, My Maruthi A-Star bearing AP registration has been stopped by RTO kormangala BDA. I moved to Bangalore 3months back, Dec is forth month of stay. I approached RTO officials after my 1st month of stay to enquire if I can pay Quarterly or Annual Tax for my stay in KA because I intend to use my car only for that period. I was told that I have only one option that is to pay life time tax to use my can in KA.
My car is been taken over by RTO people on 20-Dec-2013. Though I have a Pollution check receipt which dates 1st-Augst-2013 from AP, my car insurance is renewed in 19-11-2013.

I explained the officials that I will be leaving to AP in 10 days’ time and told them I brought my car along with me for a short stay so that I can arraign my accommodation. But they were suggesting me to pay road tax and claim for a refund even if it’s for a short stay.

What I noticed is communicating in Kanada was a challenge, because nobody was ready to talk other than Kanada. I thought I should meet the RTO himself and explain him the whole story, but he was not in his room, so I was asked to come the following day if I had to meet him.

Can anybody suggest me a safe way to get my car out of the situation? I don’t plan to use the car in Karnataka, because it’s not on my Name. And even if I pay the Road Tax , It will not be an easy task to collect the refund because the vehicle is not registered on my name.
Old 22nd December 2013, 07:59   #943
Senior - BHPian

As per law, if you have proof of coming in Karnataka recently, (less than 11 months), they have no rights to confiscate your car.

Proof should be toll receipts, fuel bills, PUC and the likes. These RTO guys are on a money making spree now. Beware.
Old 22nd December 2013, 11:06   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quite cruel of them to impound your car!

The law says 11 months. Even though they may somehow say they have discretion, I don't think its a regular practice to be SO harsh.

File an RTI with the public information officer at RTO questioning why such harsh action was taken, whether its a usual practice to impound the vehicle in such circumstances and how many vehicles were impounded by that RTO in the last quarter?

THEN, meet the a senior officer at RTO politely asking him why you're being harassed when you're visiting just as a traveller (voice) record the conversation.

Upload it on Youtube & send the link to Bangalore Traffic Police & Bangalore Law & Order Police, via Facebook, seeking "guidance".

Visit again the next day explaining your protest (RTI & Conversation Recording). Tell them you'll complain against them to their senior & you're going to court against such harassment, and if they decide to release the vehicle that same day, you'll drop the case.

Atleast this is what I'd do. Hope more people reply if they know better.
GrammarNazi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 14:17   #945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi_dvk View Post
Need Suggestion, My Maruthi A-Star bearing AP registration has been stopped by RTO kormangala BDA. I moved to Bangalore 3months back, Dec is forth month of stay. I approached RTO officials after my 1st month of stay to enquire if I can pay Quarterly or Annual Tax for my stay in KA

I
Karnataka, because it’s not on my Name. And even if I pay the Road Tax , It will not be an easy task to collect the refund because the vehicle is not registered on my name.
Very very dismal act done by the RTO workers. Its a classical case of misusing your innocence and naivity to the language and rules. Since as per the rules you have proof of being out of state recently. You should contact the person whom you are in touch with and threaten to file a harassment and an RTI petition for impounding the car. Record any comversation and in the end tell that the call has been recorded and you will have to face action.

In case of language problem, we are ready to help you. I can deal with those guys in kannada if you require They are just exploiting your innocence.

Whether you have to pay tax or not thats a different matter. But seizing the car is not a right thing. They should habe notified you and asked you to respond after which they can take further action.

Just that they dont have guts to touch the PY registered bug cars doesnt mean that they hunt down small car owners.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks