Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 13:54   #181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What happens 1 year down the line? You get caught and have to pay more fine because you havent changed your registration to the Karnataka state.

They are not guiding the people correctly. I know its too much to ask from them - probably they even dont know about it.
This would arise if they were actually looking to enforce this. If at all, i am probed with this question, i would say i am relocating back to the state of origin in some time. I wont be coming back here, is what i would say. Talk back to them with a smile, and stick to English as much as possible. They wont create so much of trouble, is what i have learnt.

Like i have said even before, since their coffers have been filled, they would look at new fish, which are aplenty.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:04   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This would arise if they were actually looking to enforce this. If at all, i am probed with this question, i would say i am relocating back to the state of origin in some time. I wont be coming back here, is what i would say. Talk back to them with a smile, and stick to English as much as possible. They wont create so much of trouble, is what i have learnt.
Problem is everytime they see me they flag me down. 10-15 mins wasted even though i have paid the stupid tax but my registration is still GA.

English is all i know. My Kannada is horrible.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:06   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Problem is everytime they see me they flag me down. 10-15 mins wasted even though i have paid the stupid tax but my registration is still GA.

English is all i know. My Kannada is horrible.
Same issue with me as well. I dont even switch off the ignition, sit on the bike, and then show them the docs, each one as they ask.

The confidence portrayed in itself makes them realize this goose will not lay a golden egg.
Old 14th January 2009, 02:41   #184
BHPian

Any updates on the RTO scene? Are they still doing random check or has it come down?
Old 14th January 2009, 03:29   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29;
...makes them realize this goose will not lay a golden egg.
OffTopic:
Benny, Dont tell me even the police knew...
Old 14th January 2009, 08:20   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Any updates on the RTO scene? Are they still doing random check or has it come down?
Last week on Thursday, I was returning from work around 11:30 PM from C.V. Raman Nagar to J.P Nagar. When I reached silk board junction from Madiwala side I saw the road to BTM is jammed at the night. I was really surprise that at the night 11:30 PM why there is too much of Jam. Then we got green signal and pushed my car towards slow moving traffic towards BTM. Then came the bomb. Police were standing in front of Silk Board Office will barricades. They are normal police with Khaki dress no traffic police with white shirt.

I was tailgating one safari closely so that police would not see my car's number and I can pass through barricades and move on. Suddenly a police constable asked me stop and jumped in front of my vehicle. I really need to brake hard to stop otherwise he would be under my car .

Then he asked be to take side towards right. I took side but not complete left my cars back in moving area so that vehicle who pass behind me would have some trouble. I got down of my car and saw all non KA registered cars and bike were standing in that place. Policeman without holding his breath asked be papers Registration, Insurance, Pollution certificate, Original Tax Paper, Karnataka Tax paper, NOC etc. I took out my papers from car and showed them registration paper which is out of state. then come insurance. (I was intentionally making delay in showing papers and vehicle behind me shouting). Then he asked me pollution check. I took out but what it was expired by 5 days. I kept it inside and bring out older pollution certificate and showed to them, he said expired. I went inside car searching then I said somewhere I kept it inside I am not finding one. In the meantime he repeatedly asked show me your Karnataka Tax Papers. I said, I came to Karnataka just 3 months back and this car is going back, as I am planning to purchase new car here.

He started telling me absurd rules the within 3 months you should pay tax etc etc. I said I also know the rules it is 11 months and not 3 months. I keep print out of RTO website FAQ in my car. Then I asked who is your DCP . I asked him, is he is (some of my known DCP) still DCP of Bangalore South Traffic Division.

Then suddenly he asked me leave. I do not know what prompted him.

I saved that day. Otherwise I might have to shell out 25K for tax. I am really planning to send my car back to my home state.

So, they are still checking for cars outside registered vehicles.
Old 14th January 2009, 10:31   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Anuj,

How many months HAVE you been in Bangalore? The RTO will only keep increasing checks with the huge drop in new car sales leading to significantly lower revenue!

You'd better get that PUC renewed and send back the car faster rather than get caught next time and end up paying the tax for a car you plan to change anyway :-)
Old 14th January 2009, 10:45   #188
BANNED

What happened to the idea from the NDA days that if you move states the Road Tax already paid should be adjusted. We all know refunds are impossible. I wonder if someone applies for a refund (it will not come) and then puts in an application under RTI for tracking it what will happen?
Old 14th January 2009, 12:07   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder if it's worth filing a RTI request with any RTO asking for the total number of MV tax refund applications filed, pending and refunded?

Should make for interesting reading! I am sure Bangalore's RTOs receive the highest number of such refund applications because of transient professionals.

If the RTO is so insistent on non-KA vehicles paying the tax, they should make sure they refund the same for outbound vehicles.
Old 14th January 2009, 12:32   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Now I drive AP registered Scorpios in KA and once out of atleast 10 visits to BLR I was caught. ...
so when you get caught - dont you tell them you are visiting? isnt there the rule that you are allowed to drive for 30 days without paying tax?
Old 14th January 2009, 17:07   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi Anuj,

How many months HAVE you been in Bangalore? The RTO will only keep increasing checks with the huge drop in new car sales leading to significantly lower revenue!

You'd better get that PUC renewed and send back the car faster rather than get caught next time and end up paying the tax for a car you plan to change anyway :-)
PUC I admit It was my mistake. Aah... So many dates need to remember, many insurance, bills, puc what not. Next morning I renewed PUC. I was under impression that it will last one more month.

I will drive for some more time. Lets see how many times they catch me. For last 3.5 years this was my first time.

I would be sending this car as early as possible.
Old 15th January 2009, 20:57   #192
BHPian

Anuj, so you are having PUC taken from Karnataka? Isn't a proof for RTO/Police that you are driving here. If anybody has to escape saying that he is here only for the last 3-6 months, PUC from home state is a valid proof, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
PUC I admit It was my mistake. Aah... So many dates need to remember, many insurance, bills, puc what not. Next morning I renewed PUC. I was under impression that it will last one more month.

I will drive for some more time. Lets see how many times they catch me. For last 3.5 years this was my first time.

I would be sending this car as early as possible.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:10   #193
BHPian

Hi

Hi ,
Suppose if i have a kerala reg vehicle and i entered karnataka ,does any one can tell me how many days legaly i can stay in karnataka without paying the KA tax.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:42   #194
BANNED

Was finally stopped by a constable just outside the Shell bunk on OMR 30 minutes ago.

Asks for documents, I show him photocopies of the RC, LTT (TN) token.
He says where is the KA tax receipt? I tell him I entered KA on Sunday night.
He says I need a local police NOC (different from the RTO NOC) to prove that my vehicle is not wanted in TN. I tell him you have the number, you find out if it is wanted or not. And I am hearing this local police NOC funda for the first time.

He realizes this is going nowhere and asks if I would like to speak to the Inspector. Yes, indeed. Conversation all this while is in Kannada.

Walk upto the gentleman who speaks to me in Tamil and gives the same local police NOC funda. If one doesn't have it, you are liable to be fined. I tell him the same thing saying I have not heard this before. Mine is a private vehicle, why should I take permission from anybody to drive outside 'local jurisdiction'. He asks - when did you come here? I say Sunday night. Do I have proof? Yes. He then asks me to go.

Very innovative, I must say - local police NOC indeed.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:45   #195
Team-BHP Support

Good that you stuck to your stance, Hrishi.
Looks like they will go to any extent to pocket money.

And what exactly is this permission business all about?! Are we wanted criminals?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks