Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 12:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Thats right. As long as it is logical , they would agree.
I know some of the Kerala registration people here arrange the Kerala petrol bill through someone traveling and keep it ready with them.

Just make sure the bills you collect this way has a blank place to write your car's reg NO.
I travel atleast once a quarter to kerala and make it a point to get my PUC done from my home town and even my insurance is done from my home town , which is photographic evidence of my being present at my home town as recent as three months back.

I know these are just loop holes but i am sure that i am gonna use these till are plugged real tight and to do that the Govt will have to come up with some sort of regularised and central vehicle tax collection mechanism
Old 12th December 2008, 12:11   #77
Team-BHP Support

Until they get technology like automated number plate reading and create records, no proper proof can be got beyonf noticing familiar cars on familiar routes

Also only gazetted officers have the power to search and seize. Am not sure whether traffic police have the right to enforce taxation issues only RTO can.
Old 12th December 2008, 12:15   #78
BANNED

Why can't we have the option of paying road tax for 2 years. This facility was there in 1996 when I had purchased a bike, but was stopped.
Old 12th December 2008, 12:19   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Am not sure whether traffic police have the right to enforce taxation issues only RTO can.
well, traffic police just ride on the fear factor that common man has when ever they see a man in uniform.
Old 12th December 2008, 12:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Also only gazetted officers have the power to search and seize. Am not sure whether traffic police have the right to enforce taxation issues only RTO can.
+1 to that only officers above the rank of sub inspector of police and demand and only above the rank of circle inspector can seize the vehicle or its documents
Old 12th December 2008, 13:08   #81
BHPian

Other reg vehicles in KA -

guys ..
here is the ...trauma...read about devil, devil will stop you..!!

This is exactly what has happened yesterday - 11th dec near KR puram fly over in the evening.

Hey..I read this thread about afternoon and left office by evening. While I was just cruising with average speed of 50-60 kmph, the men in uniform stopped me.

By the way - the car I had - NHC - kerala registraion. Just arrived from calicut on 10th dec evening.

This was my drive back to home at CV raman nagar.

Haa..I had taken care to keep the car always on the right side..atleast while I drive KL reg vehicles in bangalore.

Yes, this helps a lots to avoid police wala. But this time, this guy jumped to middle of road. And often if you have noticed, they will just be on corner of road, or in a blind spot. These police wala..should be in armed forces..rather on combat field, highly camouflaged folks...atleast this Bangalore police are.

I just stopped with confidence. This guy started running to me, thought he can make a meal out of me. But..not with me..and not too with rest of the TBHPians...hopefully.

I just told one word - Defence - Oh man..what a respect - they are the most polite human being on earth - while the word defence came out of my mouth. - Guy told - sir, you could have put a sticker, then wouldn't have stopped you only.

ok, courtesy here - wife works for central govt -and me too had a small tint with armed forces. I know not everyone has this privilege, but dont bent your back, if you have not done mistake.

Its very absurd that you need to pay - LT even if you paid LT in the resp state, the vehicle is registered.

ask them to prove - if you bent your back against police men, they will climb on your head. This is from my past 8 years exp, i have learned. But if you done mistake, better pay for it.

But i bet, this works most time - atleast 7 out of 10 - they wont ask - the ID card or anything - if defence -and just give some valid reason, if they ask for card or ID -

or even central govt folks too - will not have any trouble- for using out of reg vehicles in bangalore. But police catch, mostly other reg vehicles here.

or as told early -either petrol bill works out - or toll bills - just tell them you are here just 2 days back - else let them prove

I am also against it - for not stopping while red lights on, breaking the rule, laws - should be fined. Then only you will not repeat that mistake.

and better never keep the original documents in car - for security measure - keep all the photo copies of all doc's.

Be a better driver - obey traffic rules - drive safely - let others learn from you -

rgrds
prsn
Old 12th December 2008, 16:17   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
and better never keep the original documents in car - for security measure - keep all the photo copies of all doc's.
No idea about Karnataka but here in NCR if you are caught driving with Photocopies you are challaned because as per law you need to have the originals in the car with you.
Old 12th December 2008, 16:20   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Brilliant ... its 12 months now!!

Yup... Hrag is right. The operative word here is KEPT IN THE STATE - very very diffcult to prove that (remember the ruling clearly says the ONUS of PROVING that is on them - not on you!) - all you need is a petrol bill, credit card slip of fuel bought, toll slips, insurance paid, pollution control certificate, (.. love letters... ) etc and you are done! Tell the cop - in a very nice tone that your know the law - and that you have the required pull (dont take ANY names!) to if required go to the court. LIke I said .. keep it matter-of-fact you will face no harrassment. Tick of the cops ego - he can cite all kinds of flimsy reasosns and sieze your vehicle etc. You can get it released after inspection - normally one day.. the rest has to be establised in the courts. They are only playing on your phobia and related hassle of court-kacheri!

Believe me it'll not go that far - no public prosecutor will want to waste his time with this!
Phobia, may be. But normally people would think "I dont have time for this. It is just gonna add more head ache.".
Old 12th December 2008, 23:46   #84
BHPian

PIL should be considered seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
if you go to the Supreme Court website (Supreme Court of India), you can see one section called e filing. Can anyone enlighten us as to whether we can file a PIL through this ? When I logged in and tried to create a new case, I couldn't find an entry for PIL but there were other case types (which only an advocate can tell as to what all they mean)..
Can we create a vote or something like that on this thread to see who all are willing to give some time/money for a PIL and go ahead with it. It would be great help if someone on T-bhp is good at legal matters or knows a good lawyer.
Old 13th December 2008, 12:56   #85
BANNED

^^ wont you be better off approaching the High Court of Karnataka? WOuld be a whole lot less expensive, and better still, you would not have to run around.
Old 13th December 2008, 14:02   #86
BHPian

Am useing a MP registered car in Maharashtra, is that ok or woud i be caught and the car taken away by the RTO etc? please enlighten. Confused big time.
Old 13th December 2008, 17:14   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftagain View Post
Can we create a vote or something like that on this thread to see who all are willing to give some time/money for a PIL and go ahead with it. It would be great help if someone on T-bhp is good at legal matters or knows a good lawyer.
count me in too , i'd be more than happy to chip in my bit to file a PIL
Old 13th December 2008, 18:43   #88
BANNED

@madhokritesh - and others -

1) Central Motor Vehicles Act requires that change of address of registered owner be intimated / entered in the registration records if the change of address is for more than 1 year.

2) Road Tax. tax need be paid for white board (private registration) vehicles only if the vehicles are used in the ordinary course in the particular case. Since you have to register your vehicle in the "ordinary place of use", which would normally be same as "ordinary place of residence" tax is paid in place of residence only.

Here, the problem comes because a large number of people have come to B'lore for work, and by nature of work in the IT Field, nobody would be staying in B'lore for more than 3 years. Your "ordinary place of residence / use of the vehicle" is B'lore / Karnataka for the time you work there.

But the govt. levies taxes for 12/15 years aka "life time of the vehicle's initial registration".

IMHO, one of the fundamental principles of democracy is "NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION" - the legislature / government shall not impose taxes for more than its own life time. Too bad we have this "extra long" duration taxes. Simply un-democratic.
Old 13th December 2008, 22:30   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Well, this is the reason cars in Bangalore/Karnataka are probably more expensive than any other place in India.
have you checked on road prices in mumbai????
Old 13th December 2008, 23:25   #90
BHPian

Road tax related issues in Mumbai?

Any inputs for this for moving to Mumbai? I moved 2 months ago and have taken my 2003 Alto registered in HP. What are the road tax & re registration rules here? I plan to make frequent trips out of town and also drive back to HP in a years time.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks