Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2009, 22:15   #166
BHPian

It's only money & targets

You should remember that RTO's have targets to achieve and they would intensify these mainly during month end's. Recently read in news papers that crack downs will be intensified to make up for drop in registration of new vehicles.

There are about 1 lakh autos with defective silencers in Bangalore alone. If fine of Rs.300 per vehicle is collected it would amount to whopping 3 crores. By I doubt if anybody is man enough to do it.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:17   #167
BHPian

As you near the end of financial year (march 31) ,you can see more such checks.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:22   #168
BHPian

Sell Off and Buy New

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I have payed Rs 9000 (1200 for NOC (broker) + 5500 KA Tax (@ 13% of the new vehicle +1000 Brokerage + 1500 for re registering to KA number)
These taxes are killing the common man ...

Lesson learnt - No body should bring outside KA registered vehicles to Karnataka specially Bangalore ...
Its Better that you can sell off the Vehicle and buy a new one. Or Look for a Exchange of the Vehicle State wise.
Big Thanks to our Corporate and Politician who is running Indian Democrat Show.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:30   #169
BHPian

Money Generation !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
You should remember that RTO's have targets to achieve and they would intensify these mainly during month end's. Recently read in news papers that crack downs will be intensified to make up for drop in registration of new vehicles.

There are about 1 lakh autos with defective silencers in Bangalore alone. If fine of Rs.300 per vehicle is collected it would amount to whopping 3 crores. By I doubt if anybody is man enough to do it.
As the Vehicle registration dropped in the City the RTO Babus need some more way to raise fund for their family. A good amount of the Bribe amount will go the RTO Officers pockets. And at the same time we are giving a chance to make them money.

I think RTO should wake up and find faulty vehicle with following
1. Tamper Silencer
2. HID light
3. Flashing Lights
4. Broken Right Mirror
5. Loud Music
6. Musical/Over powered Horn
Old 3rd January 2009, 00:29   #170
BHPian

Friends, please give your expert opinion:

I presently drive a KL registered Indica (2002) model in Bangalore. I work with a Bangalore based Corporate, (not in IT & my office is in CBD), having branch in Kerala.

I have fuel bills from Trivandrum with recent dates. I have the Vehicle Insurance copy renewed from Trivandrum in December 08. I am driving to Kerala next week, will be coming back with a Kerala PUC also. Hope to keep Toll receipts too. Will these be enough to keep away RTO/Cops for next 6 more months?
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:04   #171
Senior - BHPian

Sudheesh,

I think that's enough for the next 3-6 months.

+ swalpa kannada and never give up attitude.

I used to ride my KL registered Shogun in blr (no number plate at front) without any problems.

If you are planning to stay in blr for long better exchange/sell car.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:50   #172
BANNED

I am a bit confused here.

I have to pay road tax in Karnataka, but i dont need to cange my registration. Is this true?

If it is how can i get a refund from my orginal RTO for the tax amount paid there. The RTO here does not need the NOC just wants my money.

Is it allowed by law for the RTO to collect lifetime road tax without the requirement to change the registration?

I find this a bit absurd. Does any act or rule mention this is possible?
Old 6th January 2009, 13:29   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I am a bit confused here.

I have to pay road tax in Karnataka, but i dont need to cange my registration. Is this true?
As per the rules, once you pay the road tax, you have upto a year within which you would need to get the local registration. However, in KA once you pay the road tax, but still dont change the registration, they dont really bother you too much. Its the money thats important to them, so long as that is done, rules dont matter too much.

After paying the local road tax, my AP registered bike has been happily plying the road of Bangalore for close to 2 years now. Even during checks, cops only look for the road tax papers, followed by insurance and PUC. They never ask for licence.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:04   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As per the rules, once you pay the road tax, you have upto a year within which you would need to get the local registration.
Oh this is what they are quoting to everybody they catch. Talk about bending the rules.

So now i understand. You get caught and asked to pay the tax, i protest saying i dont want to stay here for long. They say fine pay the tax and get a refund when you leave, they dont care how many days. Refund is our headache.

Smart. Now how to deal with this?

Also they dont have to bother about the registration. So get harassed, stopped, waste your time even after you have paid the tax. This is pure harassement. I knew Karnataka RTO was the worst in the world but this is taking the cake.

As per the rule i dont have to pay tax upfront if i dont intent to stay beyond a year. But it has been twisted for collecting tax upfront.
Old 6th January 2009, 16:21   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh this is what they are quoting to everybody they catch. Talk about bending the rules.

So now i understand. You get caught and asked to pay the tax, i protest saying i dont want to stay here for long. They say fine pay the tax and get a refund when you leave, they dont care how many days. Refund is our headache.

Smart. Now how to deal with this?

Also they dont have to bother about the registration. So get harassed, stopped, waste your time even after you have paid the tax. This is pure harassement. I knew Karnataka RTO was the worst in the world but this is taking the cake.

As per the rule i dont have to pay tax upfront if i dont intent to stay beyond a year. But it has been twisted for collecting tax upfront.

RTO rules:

1st:- The decision of changing the number is solely yours, but its a must to change it within a month from the date of paying the tax, then only you can apply for refund from the sate of origin.
2nd:- As per the rule if you are driving another state registered vehicle for more than 6months u will have to pay the local taxes.
3rd:- Karnataka as per my knowledge has the highest road taxes in the country.
4th:- Traveling from one state to another you must carry your original documents at all times.
5th:- Never break a rule or try to zoom when stopped by a cop.

Now how to avoid.

1) Carry fuel bills from the original state. bills are valid up to 3 months.
2) Carry recent service or repair bills if any done in the state of origin but again valid only for 3 months.
3) Attitude and discipline
Old 6th January 2009, 16:35   #176
BHPian

Hi All,
I am driving a MP registered vehicle in Karnataka. I bought this vehicle from MP (from a friend) but I have not yet transferred it to my name. So the RC book still has the my friend's name as the owner. For the proof that the vehicle is here only for a short period I have got Petrol bills from MP.

Now, if at all I am caught by the RTO/Cops here (Bangalore), can they harass me for driving a outside state's vehicle which is not in my name ?? Can they take away the car because I am not the car owner ? Do they have legal grounds to harass me in this case ? What can be the worst scenario in this case ??
Old 6th January 2009, 16:48   #177
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
RTO rules:

1st:- The decision of changing the number is solely yours, but its a must to change it within a month from the date of paying the tax, then only you can apply for refund from the sate of origin.
Thats the point i am getting at. They take the taxes but dont insist on changing the registration. Neither do they tell the people paying taxes that its required. Everyone thinks i pay tax and i am good. No NOC asked no questions asked if you are ready to pay the full tax.

What happens 1 year down the line? You get caught and have to pay more fine because you havent changed your registration to the Karnataka state.

They are not guiding the people correctly. I know its too much to ask from them - probably they even dont know about it.

Just hope everyone here is aware of the rule. That registration has to be changed after paying the tax.

I am not sure everyone goes back to the original RTO for a refund. I am doing it and will get an amount as per their calculation.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:51   #178
Senior - BHPian

Dilemma regarding bringing in Goa registered car

Hi Guys,

Need your opinion on this urgently. Here are the facts:

My girlfriend is from Goa, and she has recently shifted work base to Bangalore. Now she requires a vehicle for her daily commute. Her options are to either get her Spark (Goa registered, hardly a year old, clocked 7k kms) or buy a new car here, in the 3-4 lakh budget.

Now, I came across this thread and am really confused as to what advice I should give her. From the looks of it, driving and registering another State's vehicle in Karnataka is a big hassle, and requires a lot of money to be spent also. SO i have 2 questions:

(1) Can you enlighten me on the exact procedure to be undertaken to make sure the Goa registered Spark is in conformity with all road tax rules? That is, what is the procedure for paying road tax and obtaining a new registration (since the car is for long term use, definite more than one year). How long does the entire process take? I have had a look at the Karnataka Transport Department site. Your inputs on this matter please.

(2) Does it make more sense to leave the car is Goa and purchase a new car here, from the point of view of hassle/money that will inevitably be incurred?

Please let me have your advice, since need to make the decision within next few days.

Thanks,
Arindam.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:27   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Now, I came across this thread and am really confused as to what advice I should give her. From the looks of it, driving and registering another State's vehicle in Karnataka is a big hassle, and requires a lot of money to be spent also. SO i have 2 questions:
Thanks,
Arindam.
if this is a long term transfer it is better to get the spark reregistered. Considering market conditions, going for new car and selling the spark off doesn't make much sense.
the procedure is fairly easy. get an NOC and pay tax in blore. then reregister if required can be done relaxed. since goa is home tur, can get the refund done and followed up. if you think about doing all of it in one go it is a hassle. take step by step and get things cleared. should be easy.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:44   #180

Arindam, i had done a transfer like that from AP to KA about 5 years back. In addition to RTO NOC, if I remember correctly, they also asked for a bank NOC (assuming the car is financed) and a local police station NOC (that there is no case pending on the vehicle). As you can imagine, the last step of getting the police NOC was painful.

But the good thing was, i could actually get the road tax refund from HYD RTO (Khairatabad). i did not even go to Hyd. I sent the required forms, photocopies of KA regn and road tax to HYD RTO by courier (with no expectation whatsoever), and they couriered back a draft to me in Bangalore with a proper calculation on how they arrived at the refund amount. That's "Exceeding Expectations" .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks