Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 19:41   #76
BHPian

Explaining about the functionality, practicality and benefits of the seat-belt is a good idea. This will work only for the ones who mind listening to you. Have a grumpy old man with you and you'll have a ton of hearing to do.

Swerving through traffic is another option, a bit dangerous too. Taking sharp turns which can make the fellow bang his head into the dash and reality will work for sure!

I always buckle up. For this one time I didn't. Had my exams and dad was dropping me off in our beloved Omni. In a hurry, with my head in my book, I just sat in the passenger seat without buckling up. Had a stupid cyclist trying to scrape past during a turn. Dad turned real quick and the next thing I know is that I banged my head into the seat-belt holder[Don't know what it is called. What is it called?].The olde style hook nailed me for sure!

Had a terrible headache, not to mention a terrible exam.

As Team-BHP says,
Buckle-Up. It is the law!

Oh! Maybe having this as one of our community stickers can help in some way.

Cheers!

Cartman!
Old 16th December 2009, 23:12   #77

@n.devdath,@MotoKris : let me buy the soft pads. I think the tension of the seat belt to be fine.
@McLaren Rulez: I will surely try driving other swifts too, its just that all long drives would be done on mine so did not notice it wile driving other cars.
@pratin : I have tried to adjusting the belt but could not do anything there, swift does not have this facility ( or i don't know). I have by seat backsupport at around 100-110 degrees and would be sitting little ahead of the pillar that hold the belt.

thanks all for suggestions.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:44   #78
BHPian

@ Hegdegg : Going a bit Off topic but do you have a habit of letting you left hand stay on the gear lever for longer duration after changing gears specially in B2B traffic.

If that the case, then the pain in shoulder is not due to Seat belt but due to vibration of gear Lever. I have experienced it so just thought to let you know.
Old 17th December 2009, 13:35   #79
Team-BHP Support

Want to make people 'want to' wear seat belts?

Simple.

Take some of your buddies who detest the thought of wearing a seat belt and drive them along. Go to an empty stretch of road where there aren't any vehicles around (especially behind you) explain to them the necessity of a seat belt. At this point, they'd laugh or pass it off by giving the usual excuses such as "You don't need to wear seat-belts unless you're doing 80+ or high-speeds"

After this, do a constant speed of 20-30, and then brake really really hard! That should do the trick I reckon!

P.S. I've never driven without buckling up and I speak for the rest of my family members as well!
Old 17th December 2009, 15:20   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Oh! Maybe having this as one of our community stickers can help in some way.
+1 to this idea. I have seen some very neat stickers that really drive the idea in.

Some examples
Attached Thumbnails
How to make one 'want to' wear seat belts?-121292053v4_480x480_front.jpg  

How to make one 'want to' wear seat belts?-249723861v3_480x480_front.jpg  

How to make one 'want to' wear seat belts?-42908714v7_480x480_front.jpg  

How to make one 'want to' wear seat belts?-66421075v13_480x480_front.jpg  

How to make one 'want to' wear seat belts?-67091825v133_480x480_front.jpg  

How to make one 'want to' wear seat belts?-88977620v11_480x480_front.jpg  

Old 17th December 2009, 16:00   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
+1 to this idea. I have seen some very neat stickers that really drive the idea in.

Some examples
Great stuff there! I'm sure we can make TBhp stickers with similar innovative phrases. When the mods decide to make new batches of stickers, perhaps a thread can be opened to include suggestions on the same.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:04   #82
Senior - BHPian

Great ideas there Basil, mods time for new stickers and T-shirts
Old 17th December 2009, 16:09   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Great ideas there Basil, mods time for new stickers and T-shirts
Thanks. The ideas on the stickers however are not mine. I picked them up randomly from the internet. There could be other much better examples.

In my previous company, we had a group of people, inlcuding me, who were trying hard to instill the importance of safety while driving, to the employees. We tried to spread the word in many ways, including awareness sessions. One such session saw massive trurnouts and was conducted by a doctor who worked for the accident trauma care center of a leading local hospital. He had some solid scientific proofs of how dangerous, a crash can be, even at the lowest of the speeds. As responsible tbhpians, I think we should do something to instill the habit of safety atleast among us.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 17th December 2009 at 16:25.
Old 17th December 2009, 18:00   #84
BHPian

Great work there basilmabraham.

The other way around would probably be some mass advertising.
Shouldn't the cops be dedicated as well? A note with Gandhiji smiling does the trick.

Last edited by Cartman : 17th December 2009 at 18:01.
Old 18th December 2009, 11:29   #85
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Two simple solutions:

1. When your Dad's sitting in the front passenger seat, roll down your windows and drive close to a cop. Eventually, your father will tire of cops pulling you over, and having to pay up $$$ in fines

2. Refuse to drive unless they wear seatbelts. Tell them how much they mean to you, and you can't have them skimping on such an important safety practice.
Old 18th December 2009, 14:15   #86
BHPian

Methinks that a buzzer going off as soon as the car crosses a certain speed limit when a passenger hasn't worn seatbelt should do it for most people.The i20 has this feature.My dad tried all tricks like fastening the belt to the holder before seating, complaining to Hyundai to have the buzzer removed[thankfully, they refused].Now he wears his seatbelts each time he gets in the car to avoid hearing the annoying beeping sound, if not for the safety benefits it provides.Hopefully the habit will stick with him when he drives other cars too.
As for me, I was smirking the whole time wondering how such a simple feature managed to inculcate a good habit in my dad at his age..[old habits die hard]
Old 18th December 2009, 14:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

i think the "irritating buzzer or beeper" will do the trick admirably for people who dont like wearing seat belts.
Old 19th December 2009, 13:47   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
the pain in shoulder is not due to Seat belt but due to vibration of gear Lever.
No sir, pain is on the right hand side where the belt meets my shoulder.
Old 19th December 2009, 14:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

Hi Team BHPians,

The helmet and the seat belts are most important lfe saving equipments for the drivers and passenger. We are always object good things until unless it is a strict rule. There should be some hard and fast rules. Punishment should be there for not buckling. Then every one will wear. Now the society look down at the people go with seat belts.
Old 19th December 2009, 14:48   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i think the "irritating buzzer or beeper" will do the trick admirably for people who dont like wearing seat belts.
thats the current best suitable thing, all car manufacturers should give this irritating beep/buzzer and should be on say until 2 to 2.30 mins which is sufficient time to let people wear seatbelts.
Highways drive are surely amended by me that car wont start unless all passengers wear seatbelts and all family members support as well, but unable to do so in city driving.Hope they start wearing within city driving as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks