Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 15:06   #361
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I do not think there is a serious design issue here. The reason is if there is a serious design issue how about 25K+ cars that are already on the road?.

Looks like someone is not doing their job properly. Tata needs to find who he is?

I request all Nano owners to call/write to Tata Motors on this issue. carry a fire extinguisher to be on the safer side for the time being, it costs just Rs.500.
Absolutely!

I agree with you!
Old 8th April 2010, 15:48   #362
BHPian

Don't take the Risk

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The first fire itself caused lots of doubts in my family members and somehow convinced them it was a one off incident. This incident has caused more doubts and confusion. I dont know what to do now.
I would suggest that you dump the idea of taking delivery and wait for some more time. Try selling it to some other customer, though I have my own doubts if anybody would be willing to take that risk, presently.

In both these cases, the drivers were lucky that some other 3rd Party coming behind noticed the smoke and warned the occupants well in time giving them sufficient time to scramble out of the car just in time to see their poccession go up in flames.

The nano that was burnt yesterday was in the middle of a convoy and probably that was the reason that the driver escaped without injuries as the driver of the car following behind would have noticed something amiss. The result could have been different had this car been the last one in the convoy.

What happens when one is driving at a lonely or on a deserted road where theres no one even to warn you (forget about help) about the disaster. This may be highly unlikely, but possible.

And in the absence of any witnesses, Tatas may even claim that you have yourself set it ablaze. Wouldn't blame Tatas as many of our friends on this thread would also reflect the same way.

Take care &

God bless.....
Old 8th April 2010, 16:08   #363
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer View Post
I would suggest that you dump the idea of taking delivery and wait for some more time. Try selling it to some other customer, though I have my own doubts if anybody would be willing to take that risk, presently.

In both these cases, the drivers were lucky that some other 3rd Party coming behind noticed the smoke and warned the occupants well in time giving them sufficient time to scramble out of the car just in time to see their poccession go up in flames.

The nano that was burnt yesterday was in the middle of a convoy and probably that was the reason that the driver escaped without injuries as the driver of the car following behind would have noticed something amiss. The result could have been different had this car been the last one in the convoy.

What happens when one is driving at a lonely or on a deserted road where theres no one even to warn you (forget about help) about the disaster. This may be highly unlikely, but possible.

And in the absence of any witnesses, Tatas may even claim that you have yourself set it ablaze. Wouldn't blame Tatas as many of our friends on this thread would also reflect the same way.

Take care &

God bless.....
Only in the movies cars catch fire and explode immediately. It takes quite a while for a fire to proceed to the passenger compartment because the bulk head has to be a barrier.

And again and hopefully people get this now in their heads and not repeat things like parrots:

Not a single incident has been after the first drive and the only cases that happened were 2.

If you had 2 bad meals in your life in restaurants would you stop eating.

Haven't you people anything else to do than exaggerate?

This scare mongering is now truly getting annoying.

What you guys who support this scare mongering doing is something Tata could sue your socks of and rightly do so.

How many things have you done not to the book?

Certainly more.

Does this give me the right to claim you are the devil?
Old 8th April 2010, 16:16   #364
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I do not think there is a serious design issue here. The reason is if there is a serious design issue how about 25K+ cars that are already on the road?.

Looks like someone is not doing their job properly. Tata needs to find who he is?

I request all Nano owners to call/write to Tata Motors on this issue. carry a fire extinguisher to be on the safer side for the time being, it costs just Rs.500.
I never thought from this prespective. But lets assume all the design and the parts are good and flawless. The problem could be the level of workmanship involved. We all know that the TATAs are under huge pressure of booking and production delays.
Bottom line is two of around 25000 nanos have caught fire and those were brand new ones.For once i assume that the fuel line to the motor was not properly clampped and thus the spillage resulting to the fire. The Nanos already on the road have already passed their MAIDEN journey as called by CPH in earlier post.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:16   #365
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

I never thought from this prespective. But lets assume all the design and the parts are good and flawless. The problem could be the level of workmanship involved. We all know that the TATAs are under huge pressure of booking and production delays.

Bottom line is two of around 25000 nanos have caught fire and those were brand new ones.For once i assume that the fuel line to the motor was not properly clampped and thus the spillage resulting to the fire. The Nanos already on the road have already passed their MAIDEN journey as called by CPH in earlier post.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:46   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post

Quote:
And again and hopefully people get this now in their heads and not repeat things like parrots:
Its not parrots but parakeets that repeat. And the one who is repeating the most is you. You want people to think the way you do. Give them a break, man, they all have brains and give them a chance to express themselves.

Quote:
Yes, I would stop eating in the same restaurant even if the meal was complimentary. Complimentary meals are eaten by people who write a rosy review about that restaurant. Besides, your comparison is offtrack. The correct one and probably more meaningful should have read like this " If you knew about 2 Nanos going up in flames in less than 4 weeks would you stop driving " Nobody asked you not to drive another car.

Quote:
IMO, this is not exaggeration. Each one has a right to express his/her view while, each one has the right to form his/her own opinion.

Quote:
Not my problem, if you get annoyed so easily, you need to learn to handle it.
One would be annoyed only he was directly involved with its designing.

Quote:
What you guys who support this scare mongering doing is something Tata could sue your socks of and rightly do so.
Now, You have started talking like a Tata lawyer yourself. I would welcome this move. Atleast then the truth may be revealed.

Quote:
How many things have you done not to the book?
I don't know, you tell me. you are the one who is keeping the count.

Quote:
Does this give me the right to claim you are the devil?
Doesn't matter to me what you think of me. The right is yours.

God bless.....
Old 8th April 2010, 18:57   #367
BHPian

Nano-Ablaze - Two Fires are TWO TOO many!!

Quote:
Only in the movies cars catch fire and explode immediately. It takes quite a while for a fire to proceed to the passenger compartment because the bulk head has to be a barrier.

Not a single incident has been after the first drive and the only cases that happened were 2.

Definitely not scaremongering, methinks!!
- Let's see, we had two cases of fire,
PLUS
some numbers of electrical fires or near electrical fires earlier.
This being the 21st century, we need to get the safety & failure statistics well under control - and that needs to be ZERO (R) ZERO cases of fire.

We cannot argue the case in any other way.

Its just as plain as that. And Tata needs to identify & implement corrective actions quickly!
Old 8th April 2010, 19:05   #368
BHPian

Quote:
You are forgetting a few things here and make some statements that seem to be very tragic.

If the todays fire can be verified it is just 5 cars in total in incidents. No one has died and the causes have been estblished in three cases, which have no relation to the one confirmed fire and the claimed fire.

Tata rectified the other fault appearing on the 3 cars.

Mr Toyoda was adament that his cars are safe up to the day he stood in front of the American public and in front of Seantors, where he had to make a public apology. The only reason why he did this is to face lesser consequences.

The other manufacturers you named had not acted in honesty as you calim. They were forced by foreign authorities and withdrew even in India under the public pressure loosing revenue. They couldn't care less if money wasn't at stake.

Suzuki announcing that they wouldn't produce the Nano competitor was a timely announcement to cash in on the misfortune Tata has due to public exaggeration. This way it looks good in the public's eye than rather to acknowledge that they would not amange.

I have been sitting through meetings as a consultant, where I had to listen to such policies and know what the real thinking is about. By announcing it they can withdraw from plans that they can't realise and draw customers to the more expensive alternative of Suzuki on bad advertising on Tata's misfortune. This is the reality of things. We have passed a long time where honourable behaviour as the done thing in business.

We live in a time of smarta***s that have only one thing in mind: How can we make more turnover and the best profit on top.

Welcome to the American thinking of business.
I have never heard of any other car of any make catching fire. And in general TATA cars have more quality issues that any other cars. I am saying this because I have seen these TATA cars and driven them. Of course there is improvement from there initial tata indicas to the current vistas, but still not sufficient. Probabaly after couple of more generations of cars they might match upto the standards of other cars.

I am not sure if the Nano that passed the crash test in Europe is same as the one we get here?
Old 8th April 2010, 19:42   #369
BHPian

Quote:

Take care &

God bless.....
I think there is a difference between blaming the Tata's and Tata's dealers. Considering what happened at Singur I would not rule out anything. I would wait for Tata's to complete the investigation. Please blog based on facts not fiction.

Quote:
The fire could well have started because of a faulty front tyre.
This definetly is not a Fact.

About safety of Tata cars, I just visited the Accidents in India Thread. For most of the Tata cars, the impact has not been inside the passenger cabin. Same cannot be said about Maruti cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Definitely not scaremongering, methinks!!
- Let's see, we had two cases of fire,
PLUS
some numbers of electrical fires or near electrical fires earlier.
This being the 21st century, we need to get the safety & failure statistics well under control - and that needs to be ZERO (R) ZERO cases of fire.

We cannot argue the case in any other way.

Its just as plain as that. And Tata needs to identify & implement corrective actions quickly!

We had three Honda City's catching fire in a matter of weeks and I remember no one saying this.

Last edited by airbender : 8th April 2010 at 19:49.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:45   #370
Senior - BHPian

Probably two cars reportedly caught fire, but we have 25 pages of bickering here, 3 or more pages for today itself. Adding fuel to the fire?

I have been owning and driving cars since 1986, right from the humble M800 to the Indica, the Ford Ikon and the Indigo Marina today. Of all these, the highest mileage driven by us were (and are) in the Tatas (Sierra, Sumo, Safari, Indica, Indigo Marina). Except the Marina, all the other Tatas have done in excess of 1,30,000 kms with us. I think the first Tata we bought was around 1994-95 or so. And 15 years down the line, there has been not a single year without a Tata in our lives. I am talking of personally owned cars. Nowhere have we felt that they were unreliable. Quality issues, yes. Bad plastics, yes. Sluggish engine, yes. Reliability, always reliable.

No doubt that the Nano has been built to a price. But I don't think reliability will be an issue here. If Sam Kapasi and Normally_crazy had doubts about the reliability, they wouldn't have taken the Nano on its epic journey for all of us to see.

The fire incidents, whatever they were, could have been due to careless PDI, by not fastening the fuel lines right (I am just speculating here). A design defect will take time to scrutinize. It has only been two weeks since this alleged fire happened (thread started here on 22nd March). So for all of us bickering, I think we need to wait.

Besides, you can always carry a fire extinguisher. Who knows, you might save somebody in a Nano, whose tail is on fire.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:51   #371
BHPian

Quote:

Take care &

God bless.....
After reading your message and continuing on your signature almost made me laugh as you contradict yourself. But that just may be my opinion, no offense meant.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:23   #372
BHPian

Quote:

Take care &

God bless.....
This is one classic example of fear mongering.

Your signature says:

[COLOR=#777]Believe only 50% of what you see and nothing of what you hear[/COLOR]

But looks like you believe 100% of what you don't hear or don't know.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:29   #373
BHPian

All of us need to cooldown on this issue and let the facts come out before we jump to conclusions and start hammerig TATA.
What we can do is speculate and debate on the techincal causes of the fire(s). This is going to add more value to this discussion.

Here are some of my comments (in bold italics) on Amitk's post in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
(1) Some factory packaging material like thermocol sheet stuffed in engine bay not being removed before driving , I heard the similar one on couple of other initial ownership thread but thankfully just engine check light came.
Quite possible. It could be even other easily combustible material such as plastic sheets etc. that can catch fire in the hot engine compartment. What adds to this possibility is that the Nano engine compartment can not be opened and checked thoroughly as easily as the other conventional cars. So chances of such stuff being left out are more.

(2) Burning material from road such as cigarette butt being sucked in by air vents which are below rear doors , A simple thin wire mash should prevent this. Many drivers have bad habit of tossing out the ciggerate butt from window also in many parts people just burn the garbage on roadside.
Unlikely, unless there is already some combsutible material left in the compartment. All cars engine compartments are open from bottom.

(3) Faulty rubber tubes ???
Are we talking about the fuel tubing? Needs to be thought of.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:45   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post

But looks like you believe 100% of what you don't hear or don't know.
I do when it concerns ones life. I don't want to be labelled a martyr knowing fully well about its (Nanos) recent history.

God bless.....
Old 8th April 2010, 21:01   #375
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Please blog based on facts not fiction.

To separate the facts and fiction, I suggest you read "http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/8043-protest-against-tata-motors-edit-supreme-court-orders-tata-repair-sumo-pg-40-a-48.html." in detail and you will know how one can be accused like " your so called fiction when all facts were given in black and white.

Lets all live in the real world and see whats happening around us.

God bless.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks