Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2007, 00:10   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
There is something damn fishy about this event, the expectation of faster timings in comparo to blore event isnt visible at all rather its the other way around!!! Then whats the advantage of the 'Sea Level' thingie???? Is it purely coz of the heat that so many machines got messud up??
Wolf - I'm not an expert on this but talking to a lot of competitors & experts it seems that the temprature (around 40-42 degrees centigrade) was one of the major problems especially with Turbo cars & I think that's a valid reason for the disappointing times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post

This car was the laughing stock of the town after what time it did considering it's B16 Turbo job!!
Old 20th February 2007, 00:35   #137
Senior - BHPian

contd...

Modded Zen

Silver Skoda

Black Skoda

Skoda Wheeelspin

Rev
Old 20th February 2007, 00:36   #138
Senior - BHPian

I am actually feeling very sorry for the owner of the B16 City as it was a very disappointing performance with the amount of money spent on the build, the car clocked a 15.3 sec to a 1/4 mile.

The strange thing was that after the run the car disappeared from the venue almost immediately.

Last edited by iraghava : 20th February 2007 at 00:37.
Old 20th February 2007, 00:44   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Wolf - I'm not an expert on this but talking to a lot of competitors & experts it seems that the temprature (around 40-42 degrees centigrade) was one of the major problems especially with Turbo cars & I think that's a valid reason for the disappointing times.
!!
The EVO 7 clocked 12.4 to 1/4 mile in same temperature range & it was fastest timing of the day same with supra it was in 12.xx bracket,Mustangs clocked 13.1x which is almost similar to all previous year runs, the white stock scooby timing was also not off the mark so i think the cars wich didnt perform they were not tuned/setup properly,had a bad launch or had some problem with their setup.
Most tuners get away by blaming the weather conditions to hide their mistakes.
Old 20th February 2007, 00:47   #140
BHPian

also guys what happened to claimed 800bhp cars a white mustang and skyline r34 as claimed in the cars to except tread.
Old 20th February 2007, 00:57   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
The EVO 7 clocked 12.4 to 1/4 mile in same temperature range & it was fastest timing of the day same with supra it was in 12.xx bracket,Mustangs clocked 13.1x which is almost similar to all previous year runs, the white stock scooby timing was also not off the mark so i think the cars wich didnt perform they were not tuned/setup properly,had a bad launch or had some problem with their setup.
Most tuners get away by blaming the weather conditions to hide their mistakes.
Fair enough Jitu that makes a lot of sense. Even the stock cars were performing well incl the SL & the M5's. Like I said I'm not an expert in these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
also guys what happened to claimed 800bhp cars a white mustang and skyline r34 as claimed in the cars to except tread.
There was No Skyline present & the Mustang which was there certainly did not have 800 bhp.
Old 20th February 2007, 01:01   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I am actually feeling very sorry for the owner of the B16 City as it was a very disappointing performance with the amount of money spent on the build, the car clocked a 15.3 sec to a 1/4 mile.

The strange thing was that after the run the car disappeared from the venue almost immediately.
I think its very easy to sit back and talk about cars that did not perform. To tune a B16 and to make it in such little time takes alot of effort. you say it was the Laughing Stock but at least the owner of the car knowing it wasn't ready and still came to race is commendable. Please do not feel 'sorry' for the cars as you aren't appointed by anyone to feel 'sorry' for cars you have no knowledge about. Feel sorry for cars that claim insane times and power output and that did not perform. If you want to know how much effort it takes to make a car race worthy you should try putting in efforts yourself instead of feeling ' sorry'
We are here not to criticize other cars and feel ' sorry ' for them but here for the love of the sport.
Old 20th February 2007, 01:13   #143
BHPian

i guess there must be some reason behind it not performing all that well like what happened to mihir's wrx.
Old 20th February 2007, 01:14   #144
Senior - BHPian

Subaru

Subaru again

Scooby again....

Scooby Exhaust

bus now videos tom... do you ll also want bike videos ?

Rev

Last edited by revtech : 20th February 2007 at 01:25.
Old 20th February 2007, 01:24   #145
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Just returned from bombay .. Yes but in a flight and not driving the car as planned .. More on that later ..

The event was good with a good turnout for bikes and cars in almost every class , though crowd control was a huge prob atleast in the VIP section .. Thanks to The YETI we could all watch in peace ..

Firstly congratulations to psycho for setting a new natioanal esteem class timing and winning 1st place and also to vasu anna for winning the 2nd place ..

As far as the scooby is concerened , mihir tough luck with the waste gate and the exhaust manifold .. That car is real potential winner .. Better luck for the bangy round .. Your run on the VTEC to a 15.1 in the pro stock class was amazing .. And your launches are something we all need to learn from ..

Viper it was nice seeing you and your VTEC , wishing you best of luck to achieve the 15sec run you were hoping for at the next drag ..

EVO6 - Bhushan get to bangalore and we will see what this blue beauty can do in a not so stock form ..

Before you guys start flaming each other this is what it takes to get to a drag .. Read further of the issues we had and it may give u an idea ...

As far as my cars run is concerned on day 1 it clocked a 16.287 ET was the 2nd fastest of the day a good 0.6 sec ahead of the next fastest car .. The car clocked the 4th fastest ET on day 2 but with loads of problems .. All in all the event seemed jinxed for my car and memo ..

Countdown to speedrun 2007 bombay :
15 days prior - All parts bought and lying at home .
12 days prior - Car sent to the garage for the works ..
8 days prior - Complete block is setup ..
5 days prior - Complete engine is assembled back , but the car wont crank .. Faulty CPS (crank position sensor ) replaced with a new one still no crank .. Crank pulley replaced , cars back and running fine .. Takes us 3 days to find the pulley ..
3 days prior to the run - Car is flying during a testing session , though engine is tight and needs a lot of running in ..
2 days prior to the run - Memo and myself set on a run in to do to bombay .. Had fun all the way , eating , chatting , giving the car a break to let it cool down etc besides being on constant touch with psycho every 2hrs giving him updates on the car.. No issues till we reached hubli .. Realised we dont get 97 Octane , filled in 91 Oct Xtra Premium and our troubles began .. On reaching bombay car started knocking , filled 97 Oct full tank in bombay and realised even that fuel was bad ..

On a drive to meet a few of the bhpians vasu's car had a blown head gasket and a hole in the head owing to excessive NOS dosage in a trial session in bangalore .. Soon after my car too had heating issues , which we assumed to be just lack of water in the radiator .. Car ran on day 1 but was not as quick as it was on the expressway 2 days earlier .. Radiator fan switch blown , so directed the fan to cool the engine .. Fuel Filter conks so direct that also .. Up the fuel pressure and the cars runs even slower , change the spark plugs to brand new NGKs and cars runs better .. Finished the practise session with a 16.287 .. Next day clocked a 16.450 with memo running out of fuel at 6500 rpms (fueling prob) in 1st gear and again the car died 20mtrs before the finish line and all the dashboard lights came on .. Memo shifted the car to neutral and costed to the line .. Disappointed with the run returned to the garage and parked the cars and went out with a few bhpians .. On coming back Jitu wanted to test the car with the Gtech so took the car out for a spin and came back within no time saying the car had no torque and was not moving .. Checked the engine to find the 4th cylinder gone .. So all the while from the time we had heating issues a day prior to speedrun, we were running on 3 cyl , clocked some really good times and never realised what went wrong with the car .. What always seemed to be a overheating problem due to excessive evaporation of coolant in the radiator turned out to be blown headgaskets (yes two of them) that took its toll once jitu went out for a spin .. 15 mins later went jitu left home and we were on our way to put the cars in a truck my car engine seized .. Towed the car to the truck and its lying in the truckers office till tomorrow before getting shipped .. And here is the reason why im at home posting this rather than driving my car back to bangy .. This is what i had to go through in the last 10 days to get to a drag .. Its not easy .. The heat was tremendous , most cars were having reliability issues ..

Psycho blew is fuel pump 10 mins before his run , had to go down on the boost by 50% and also had to disconnect his NOS for the Indian Open with the fear of blowing his engine ..

Vasu anna had a blown head gasket just a day before his run ..

My car too had a non functioning 4th cylinder that finally took its toll when ford rocam took it out for a spin ..

EVO6s car too had heating issues ..

Two other cars blew their engines on the run because of the heat ..

Indias fastest zen which was to set yet another national record also blew its engine the night before the run ..

All in all it was the heat and also the non-availability of good quality fuel .. I know of atleast 3 cars that didnt do well because of bad fuel ..

The cars were being punished , and at times they give up .. Same with the scooby .. Kindly refrain from bad mouthing the car or the driver .. For the records that car on its 1st run didnt have traction till about 150mtrs , kept spinning its wheels .. Whatever said that car has some really high BHP figures ... Give it time and maybe it will live upto our expectations at the next event ..

More than 10 days spent at the garage working on the car , over a lakh spent on parts and labour alone (most of this being for my Turbo setup im planning very soon) , another few thousands for driving the car to bombay and taking part .. After all this car gives up because of bad fuel even when one is ready to pay 60 bucks to a freaking litre .. Its just bad luck , its just a sport where you at times win or dont .. I am extremely satisfied at what my car did with all the problems it had , and will be prepared better for the next event .. Thats how its meant to be and must be enjoyed while at it.. But not flaming each other like this or one particular person ..

Finally i would also love to thank Farted_Head (or so he was called) for being an excellent host and taking care of us for all these days .. We are really sorry for having caused you so much trouble .. Also would love to thank all the guys who came to golden moments and sea lords and made the meets a huge success .. Specially to sam for a fabulous arrangement.. Can someone pls put up the pics of the sea lord meet too ??

And most importantly this event has also gotten me to know a few really humble and nice men who love cars equally as well .. Made a lot more friends than we could have imagined off .. Would surely want to meet all of you again .. So farted head , veyron , iraghava , elf , jiggy , evo6 , v16 , rt , moralfibre , zavo , dippy , f50 , ma(n)son and all the others that i may have missed out do keep in touch ... Hoping to see you guys at another destination really soon ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 20th February 2007 at 01:30.
Old 20th February 2007, 01:38   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by z klasse View Post
I think its very easy to sit back and talk about cars that did not perform. To tune a B16 and to make it in such little time takes alot of effort. you say it was the Laughing Stock but at least the owner of the car knowing it wasn't ready and still came to race is commendable.
I feel sorry because of the amount of money he's spent on the car to get it up & running & despite having a list of extensive mods (posted below) all the car would do was 15's. Especially when a Pro-Stock VTEC did 15.1 seconds I mean come on you got a B16 & a Turbo & still got beaten by a Pro-Stock car? If that is not an under performer what is?

Here is the list:
Engine Block Parts
1. PISTON WITH RINGS - JE Pistons
2. CON RODS - Eagle
3. BLOCK SLEEVES - Darton
4. GASKET KIT - Mr. Gasket
5. CRANKSHAFT - Eagle L/W Knife Edged
6. CAMSHAFTS STAGE 3 - Kelford
7. VALVE SPRINGS w/ RETAINERS - Piper
8. HEAD BOLTS - ARP
9. ENGINE BEARINGS - Clevite
10. MILD PORTING & POLISH

Performance Parts
1. CAMGEARS - Fidanza Adjustalbe
2. CLUTCH PLATE STAGE 3
3. FLYWHEEL - Clutchmaster
4. TIMING BELTS - Good Year
6. SPARK PLUGS - HKS
7. SPARK PLUG WIRES - MSD
8. GROUND WIRES
9. AIR INTAKE - K&n
10. OIL FILTER - K&n
11. FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR - FSE
12. MUFFLER - Hyper Muffler
13. THROTTLE BODY - Holley 68MM
14. INJECTORS 670 CC - RC
15. FUEL PUMP - Walbaro
16. DISTRIBUTOR ROTAR CAP - MSD

TURBO, NOS & COOLING
1. WET NOS KIT - NOS
2. TURBO KIT (BALL BEARING) - Turbosmart
3. COOLING FAN 12" (DUAL SLIM)
4. COOLING RADITOR
5. INTERCOOLER - Garret

ELECTRONIC PARTS
1. MSD DIGITAL 7 PLUS PROGRAMMABLE - MSD
2. COIL SS BLASTER - MSD
3. ENGINE MANAGEMENT UNIT - Greddy
4. MSD 4 BAR MAP SENSOR - MSD

SUSPENSION & BRAKES
1. SUSPENSION KIT - Adjustalbe A/M
2. BRAKES - Wilwood
3. STRUT BARS

ALLOYS & TIRES
1. ALLOY WHEELS 15"
2. TIRES 205/50/15

METERS & GAUGES
1. TACHOMETER w/ SHIFT LIGHT
2. SPEEDOMETER 5" (260 KMPH)
3. OIL PRESSURE 0-200
4. BOOST GAUGE
5. AIR - FUEL RATIO
6. FUEL PRESSURE
7. WATER TEMPRETURE
8. FUEL SENDING UNIT

And what are you crying about little time? The work was started on the car in OCTOBER that's more than 4 months ago. I know it's a very tough job but it certainly isn't any shortage of time to complete the mods mentioned by the owner himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z klasse View Post
Please do not feel 'sorry' for the cars as you aren't appointed by anyone to feel 'sorry' for cars you have no knowledge about. Feel sorry for cars that claim insane times and power output and that did not perform. If you want to know how much effort it takes to make a car race worthy you should try putting in efforts yourself instead of feeling ' sorry'
We are here not to criticize other cars and feel ' sorry ' for them but here for the love of the sport.
I have as much knowledge about this car as needed off Cardomain & my own sources. I know for a fact he's been hoodwinked by KS. And I certainly know the effort it takes to make a car worth, have seen enough friends try & bang their heads against the wall in doing so.

As for the little time you're crying about well the bloody car's been with KS since October last year & that's more than enough time to prepare a car for a race to be held in Feburary.

You might be closely involved with preparing cars and all that but don't assume that the other guy shoots his mouth off without knowing what he's talking about. I'm not criticising the owner, just the tuner he's the one building the car for the customer and if it doesn't perform it's a dud as simple as that. You don't trophies for participation, you get them for winning.

And just to make it clear this is my opinion & my thoughts. You don't have to agree with them, infact if you don't like them ignore them.

P.S. Here's the source for the list of mods:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2480544/2

Last edited by iraghava : 20th February 2007 at 01:42.
Old 20th February 2007, 01:59   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mclaren, nice writeup fella... Looks like you went through some real tight time last 10days prior to the run... but I guess u are lucky ur car dint give you trouble enroute to mmbai coz getting stranded on an NH is the worst of all agonies!

16.28sec is a good timing considering only 3 functional cylinders...

There are 3 big learnings for us from your last post;
1) Dont rely on the fuel available at mumbai!
2) Too much compression for mumbai runs is a no no!
3) Insulate all visible fuel lines and take additional measures to keep your engine temp cooler...

Thanks dude.

Anyways, there is always next time so just wear your stress off and start prepping for the blore run...Im sure the mumbai boys will meet us here too...

@ iraghava & Z Klasse: Hey chillax guys... no point post morteming these things,,,we are just causing unnecessary turbulence amongst ourselves...and nothing else!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 20th February 2007 at 02:10.
Old 20th February 2007, 02:15   #148
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hear about the problems you and your car had to go through mclaren.that why wehn you called me and said you were at the airport i was wondering why you werent driving down...now i know why.

hope your car is back in shape soon...

and physco, congrats for coming 1st.

Rev
Old 20th February 2007, 02:29   #149
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Hey Mclaren, nice writeup fella... Looks like you went through some real tight time last 10days prior to the run... but I guess u are lucky ur car dint give you trouble enroute to mmbai coz getting stranded on an NH is the worst of all agonies!
Yes very true .. Which is exactly what we were wondering .. Had this happened enroute to bombay it would have really caused a lot of haggle .. Even before the car gave up in the end we had decided to ship it by truck because of fueling problems .. Yes from now on we shall be carrying 97 Oct fuel from bangy to any runs outside the city .. Compression was never the problem , it all boiled down to availability of good quality fuel which we couldnt get .. Car was knocking even with 97 Oct ..
Old 20th February 2007, 03:46   #150
BANNED

Did u guys tank up from the Reliance pump for the 97 oct?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks