Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 17:39   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)-A Wedding, A Honeymoon and A Funeral (Pg 26

No need to worry AFAIK, there's no fuel tank air filter in Getz.
I tried many times, but they (hyundai) had no clue whatsoever. Its there in the part BOM but can't be procured as its not there in the part ordering list.

Now at 77k kms i've completely forgotten about it.
Old 15th April 2011, 19:49   #437
Senior - BHPian

Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)-A Wedding, A Honeymoon and A Funeral (Pg 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
No need to worry AFAIK, there's no fuel tank air filter in Getz.
I tried many times, but they (hyundai) had no clue whatsoever. Its there in the part BOM but can't be procured as its not there in the part ordering list.

Now at 77k kms i've completely forgotten about it.
I have let it go, after all the SMS and discussions I had with fellow BHPians with rockets!!

Here is a quick update on my rocket:
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-15042011011.jpg

Before the car goes in for service this time, I wanted to relieve the S.Drives for their long pending retirement after 40k KM of impeccable service, the two tires getting sidewall cuts not withstanding.

As a part of this tire change, I also wanted to down-size to 14", and was looking at Yoko C.Drives in 185/65 R14 as the replacement. I also had Michelin XM1+ and Conti CEC2 in the list. After another round of discussions with fellow BHPians (thanks Prajesh (KPZen), Dhananjay (djay), Vikram (Headers) and Prasanna (pras.oct25)), decided to take the plunge for C.Drives in spite of being warned by Deepak (Tyrestore) of side-wall bulges / cuts issues. I felt that the ~600 bucks premium is not done for the Michelin, djay ruled out Maxxis - he switched back to 14" after having them in 15".

Prajesh warned me of steering issues with C.Drives in his car, where the steering got so vague that after 100 KMPH and gets dangerous to maneuver. Though good in terms of grip, the root cause of the issue was drawn back to the tires - A.Drives did not have this problem, and the entire steering / suspension was checked. I took his suggestion to have a test of how the car behaves before taking the plunge. His was one of the earliest C.Drives to be launched in India.

After a quick word with Vikram, called up Deepak and placed the order for the C.Drives yesterday. Called Deepak today just to see if the tires have come - and yes, got the confirmation by 2 PM. Headed there by 2:30 PM and had a quick look at the tires. They had a label mentioning March 2011 as import date. The side-walls were indeed soft to touch - I compared this with a used Goodyear and a new XM1+ - both were relatively firm.

The tires were mounted and balanced on the alloys I had picked. I loved my 15" alloys at first sight, and tried to find the same design comes in 14" (a colleague of mine has it in his Figo), but no luck. Picked a set from the bunch of designs (the home department played a role in the selection ) and had them balanced and mounted on the car. I did not have alignment checked, because the car is going in for the 40k service next week - will do the alignment after the service.

Some pics:
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-15042011014.jpg
I liked the side profile of my 15" HRs - but this is not bad, is it?

Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-15042011015.jpg
An up close shot of the alloys...

Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-15042011016.jpg
...and the tire's thread pattern

First thoughts:
While reversing the car out of Tyrestore, the first thought I had was - the steering is relatively light. Much lighter than the S.Drives. And what Prajesh warned flashed.

I drove home, about 7 KM of evening traffic. The comfort of 14" is immediately felt. Going over rumblers with S.Drives even at slow speeds will feel like your butt is being kicked a few times. Even small inconsistencies on the road will be felt on the steering and by your body. I went over the same rumblers at relatively higher speeds, and I heard just a muted thud - didn't feel much.

The steering, like I said, was definitely lighter than the S.Drives. It was relatively effortless to turn it at near-standstill speeds.

After dropping my wife home, I drove to work - about 24 KM, with 7 KM on a 6 lane highway (Chennai By-pass). The car definitely felt more eager to move - I don't think this is placebo, as I know how much in-gear acceleration I have to make to get it moving, and there definitely was a difference.

On the flip side, the realized the braking is not what it used to be. The car used to stop like my wish is its command when wearing S.Drives. Now I am having to wish a bit harder. But that is to be expected when going down from 195 profile to 185, and from performance to comfort tires.

I did not want to push the tires all that much during their running. But yet Prajesh's warning nagged me - push it to a tad over 100 while on the Chennai Bypass, and did not feel any vagueness in the steering. I was able to make lane changes and overtaking maneuvers with the control I want.

I am reserving the verdict though - let them run in, and let me take them to the 140s they will have to tolerate, and then I will pass the judgement!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 15th April 2011 at 20:01.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:08   #438
Senior - BHPian

Congrats jayanth for those good looking alloys and good tyres.
The earlier 15" alloys looked even better but the ride quality is the part which you will like the most after downsizing to 14". I am very happy now driving on bad roads

I do not like the way car handles when you change a lane at good speeds in 14".

I am sure even C Drives will serve you the way S drives served and it was really nice talking to you yesterday bro.

Also tell us price of alloys & tyres.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:28   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the new tires jayanth! Those alloys look good.I am also thinking of changing my i20's to C drives.Please update after you have tested them to the limits!
Old 16th April 2011, 08:01   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I am reserving the verdict though - let them run in, and let me take them to the 140s they will have to tolerate, and then I will pass the judgement!
@Jayant: Congrats on the new shoes and socks - Time to slow down and not do dangerous speeds a.k.a 140 kmph.

FYI, international speed limits are 110 kph unless one is in some exotic European countryside where people refuse to understand English.

Safe Driving
Old 16th April 2011, 08:20   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@Jayant: Congrats on the new shoes and socks - Time to slow down and not do dangerous speeds a.k.a 140 kmph.

FYI, international speed limits are 110 kph unless one is in some exotic European countryside where people refuse to understand English.

Safe Driving

I was telling him the same thing yesterday. He has never driven the vehicle on stock tires so wont know how it will behave. But even once he gets used to it, it probably will never brake and handle the way his bigger tires did.

The good thing is that he has picked up 6J alloys. So in the worst case scenario if he is too unhappy with handling, he can still go to 195 tires which would be a better balance between comfort and handling.

I do think he has gone from extreme handling to extreme comfort right now.
Old 16th April 2011, 13:43   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Congrats jayanth for those good looking alloys and good tyres.
The earlier 15" alloys looked even better but the ride quality is the part which you will like the most after downsizing to 14". I am very happy now driving on bad roads

I do not like the way car handles when you change a lane at good speeds in 14".

I am sure even C Drives will serve you the way S drives served and it was really nice talking to you yesterday bro.

Also tell us price of alloys & tyres.
I am being cautious, refraining from throwing the car around or chucking it in tight spots - need to get a grip on the limits with the new footwear! But yes, the ride quality has seen a huge improvement

The alloys came for 13.5k for 4 wheels, and the tires were for 3900 a piece. No additional charges (balancing, alignment et all included).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Congrats on the new tires jayanth! Those alloys look good.I am also thinking of changing my i20's to C drives.Please update after you have tested them to the limits!
Sure, will keep you posted. I will be sedate for ~1000 KM, which is usually what I drive in 7 - 10 days. The car is in for service next week, so make that two weeks before I post a detailed review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Safe Driving
I don't understand English most of the times either But yes, I see what you're saying - wont look for limits without knowing how much has changed in terms of handling, steering feedback, etc. But what is surprising me is, the great Headers is talking about not doing 140 KMPH!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post

I was telling him the same thing yesterday. He has never driven the vehicle on stock tires so wont know how it will behave. But even once he gets used to it, it probably will never brake and handle the way his bigger tires did.

The good thing is that he has picked up 6J alloys. So in the worst case scenario if he is too unhappy with handling, he can still go to 195 tires which would be a better balance between comfort and handling.

I do think he has gone from extreme handling to extreme comfort right now.
True - these will never behave like my S.Drives did on 15". That said, the grip doesn't seem all that bad, at least not as bad as I expected. I am having to cut the gear and touch the brakes tad earlier than before, but it is not uncomfortable as yet.

One thing. The car definitely feels a lot more spirited - maybe the lower rolling resistance of 185 + comfort oriented tires at work...
Old 18th April 2011, 11:51   #443
BHPian

Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Welcome to the world of Comfort!!!

Good to see you back to 14". You will now find how comfortable long drives are in this car. Braking stability will be reduced a bit, but its just a matter of getting used to. After all I have XM1+ on mine, and I'm perfectly happy on drives with my family at speeds upto 140-160kmph. You will also find in-gear accelaration and fuel economy to be better.
Old 20th April 2011, 22:17   #444
Senior - BHPian

Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

True. Half tank is coming up a little later than before, let me see what is the verdict on economy when I fill it next (couple of days). Braking is not like before, where the car will stop the moment I think of braking But it is not bad either, in the sense I haven't gotten into a skid or lockup in spite of my late braking habit (which I am trying to correct at low speeds itself!).

The rocket is headed for service max by Monday next, waiting to see if the distributor here can source Mobil Delvac 1 - I do not prefer weekends to service the car
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:19   #445
Senior - BHPian

There was tension in the air.
Weeks went by without any sign of it.
Deadlines seemed to be set afresh every time I ask.
The final timeline was Wednesday, 20th April 2011 - it came and went too.

That's when I decided to take things on my hands. Called up some friends on Thursday, 21st April 2011, made arrangements - I am getting two instead of one.

Condor took the pain of ordering it for me. Petrol Head is bringing it down from Bangalore to Chennai.

It has to be delivered Friday evening before 6 PM.
The clock is ticking to a close, still no sign.
Mobile numbers are switched off. Or people are travelling out of town for the long weekend.

If it does not reach in time, I will not get it Saturday morning. My rocket is going in for service, and would need it by noon at least. Chances seemed bleak.

After making some more calls, reaching out to people, I finally got the confirmation that it is on its way by 5 PM. But...!

Bangalore rains play havoc - Koramangala is apparently flooded. The poor man carrying the priceless concoction for my rocket is stuck... "Sir, let the waters drain off a bit sir, I will definitely deliver it..."

Bloody hell, will I get it in time or not? Even nature seemed to plot against it!

Yup, that was the kind of filmy tension that was there most of yesterday - all for a can of Mobil Delvac 1

Thanks a million to Condor and Petrol Head - I finally got it!
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-23042011018.jpg

Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-23042011019.jpg

Am taking the car in for service in a couple of hours - this is what I have in mind:
  • Change fuel filter cartridge
  • Do not change the air filter - it is brand new (slipped it in after taking out the K&N)
  • Replace Engine Coolant (as suggested by the user manual)
  • Replace Brake & Clutch Fluid (as suggested by the user manual)
  • Replace engine oil filter, I will bring in the oil when I come to collect the car
  • Check clutch play and bleed it (depends on the previous item too)
  • Check the mild squeaking sound that comes from the steering when the car is cold
  • Check the screeching noise I get from the front right brakes when the car is cold
  • Check the dashboard, door and panel rattling
  • Realign the rear bumper (yeah, I get rear-ended once every 10k KM or so!)
  • Fix the lower lip of the front bumper (scrapped it, and managed to dislodge the left side)
  • Don't do anything else without checking with me first

Any suggestions? I will be able to call in and update the SA till noon I guess.

After the car comes out of KUN Hyundai, I will be heading to Tyrestore to get the wheels aligned.
Old 23rd April 2011, 08:07   #446
Senior - BHPian

Two more to the list: Intercooler cleaning, and check / clean the EGR valve.
Old 23rd April 2011, 08:10   #447
Senior - BHPian

Whats the cost of the oil ? Would like to hear the difference from you from the oil used by Hyundai.
Old 23rd April 2011, 08:24   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Whats the cost of the oil ? Would like to hear the difference from you from the oil used by Hyundai.
I have never used the Hyundai's Servo except for once, have always been on Delvac MX. This is Mobil's synthetic for Diesels, cost me 3900. Bought it in Bangalore though - taxes should be lesser in Chennai *if we get it here*!

Will post a review on how it is after a few days' running with it.
Old 23rd April 2011, 14:05   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Two more to the list: Intercooler cleaning, and check / clean the EGR valve.
Is this done as per the manual??
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:55   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblood View Post
Is this done as per the manual??
Nope, I dont think the manual mentions that. But on the last fill, I had oil a bit above the max level. And recently I have lost 1 KM in my usual mileage. I don't think the mileage is related to the RPM - Speeds I had posted in KPZen's thread (as those have been so for a long time)...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks