Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 11:34   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 226 Times
Default

Hi all,

19th March , Sunday took the Isuzu powered Gypsy for first OTR at Devarabetta, Denkinikottai Tq., through Anekal. Distance from Bangalore is about 65 kms. Picturesque place covered by reserve forest area and hillocks. Perfect spot for off roading and camping.

My gypsy performed very well on the OTR spot. Should say massive power coupled with high torque at low speed. I could traverse through all spots with 2 WD 2nd gear and in some places put 4 WD. I am very happy with the performance of Isuzu engine and gearbox.

Still the Propeller Shaft gives noice at 60 + kms and has to be rectified immediately.

Pictures of off roading will follow.

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 11:39   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
My gypsy performed very well on the OTR spot. Should say massive power coupled with high torque at low speed. I could traverse through all spots with 2 WD 2nd gear and in some places put 4 WD. I am very happy with the performance of Isuzu engine and gearbox.
Congratulations on a job well done AND done fast!

You cant call it a Gypsy anymore. How about Ipzy?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 12:28   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,749
Thanked: 89,399 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
My gypsy performed very well on the OTR spot. Should say massive power coupled with high torque at low speed. I could traverse through all spots with 2 WD 2nd gear and in some places put 4 WD. I am very happy with the performance of Isuzu engine and gearbox.
Congrats! No overheating?

Quote:
Still the Propeller Shaft gives noice at 60 + kms and has to be rectified immediately.
Balancing required. Difficult (but possible) to get right.

Look forward to the pics & Khan's report.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 12:30   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No overheating?
Yaar yeh Jeep nahin.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 14:33   #65
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,663
Thanked: 3,186 Times
Default

Well, here is my report -- based on my observations (I DID NOT drive it)

- The engine mod job is neat looking -- considering it is a swap. There is NO point comparing with factory fit & finish.

- The sound of the engine is great. the 'hum hum' sound sounds cool.

- It did tend to 'smoke' at times under high rev situations. I saw that at alteast 2-3 occasions

- It needs some very minor work on certain aspects but that is all part of the swap job and should be sorted out soon (for example the fuel pipe, wiring, fusues, etc)

- It REALLY has some serious power now and pulling capability is great.


The ONLY grudge I have:

- The space between tyres & wheel well is just ~ 1 inch. The Gypsy has NO ROOM to articulate. It scrubs/scrapes the hell out the body.That is a SERIOUS limitation for some terrains.

Overall I am very happy with the way it is shaping up. Does it have more work to be done?? Yes -- but that is minor and all part & parcel of a swap job.

Good work Dwarak sir. Three Cheers.!!!!!
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 15:28   #66
BHPian
 
siddartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 671
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

yesterday dwarak seemed a happy man , and thats all that matters.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 18:15   #67
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,663
Thanked: 3,186 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
yesterday dwarak seemed a happy man , and thats all that matters.
Yes. He was VERY happy when it finally started -- even after YOU had successfully managed to cut each and every wire in the bonnet. headlight wires, battery wires, fuel pump wires, relay wires, etc etc..

Just kidding. Agree with you that Dwarak is very very happy with the way the IpZy is shaping up.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 19:01   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 226 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Yes. He was VERY happy when it finally started -- even after YOU had successfully managed to cut each and every wire in the bonnet. headlight wires, battery wires, fuel pump wires, relay wires, etc etc..

Just kidding. Agree with you that Dwarak is very very happy with the way the IpZy is shaping up.
Khan/ Siddharth,

, Siddarth ne mera ek Aankh thod diya. Just kidding. Socket was local, it gave away. But he is the one who said direct the connection to pump from battery. Else, I was thinking ECU has given away.

But thanks to Swastik Viji and StarAqua for pulling me out of bad patch.

Ipzy is given to Mechanic for rectifying the prop shaft sound. Fuel pipe has already been changed for good now.

Where are the photos?
Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 10:23   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,749
Thanked: 89,399 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yaar yeh Jeep nahin.
Good one. But seriously, even with the 1.8 ISZ, my Jeep was never cured of its overheating problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
- The engine mod job is neat looking -- considering it is a swap. There is NO point comparing with factory fit & finish.
Pics of the complete install?

Quote:
- It did tend to 'smoke' at times under high rev situations. I saw that at alteast 2-3 occasions
Was the engine overhauled? Compression test done?

Quote:
- It REALLY has some serious power now and pulling capability is great.
Sounds like sheer grunt.

Quote:
- The space between tyres & wheel well is just ~ 1 inch. The Gypsy has NO ROOM to articulate. It scrubs/scrapes the hell out the body.That is a SERIOUS limitation for some terrains.
Agreed. Any plan to tackle this, Dwaraka?

Either ways, great to hear that your Gypsy is back on the road with more pep. Fine-tuning can be an ongoing exercise.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 12:34   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 226 Times
Default

GTO.

Will post the pictures shortly for complete work done.
Engine needs to be tuned and will get it done this week
As regards the tyres grazing with body on certain terrain approach, I have already increased the hight by two plates in the rear and one plate in the front. As a result I have very bumpy ride already. Think the solution lies only in SPOA. I want to avoid it. I use the gypsy for highway drives too.

Any suggestions, please

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 12:37   #71
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,663
Thanked: 3,186 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
....

Any suggestions, please ...

Dear dwaraka Please send me a PM. I will guide you in totality

Regards,
Shahnawaz
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 12:46   #72
BHPian
 
siddartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 671
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
GTO.

Will post the pictures shortly for complete work done.
Engine needs to be tuned and will get it done this week
As regards the tyres grazing with body on certain terrain approach, I have already increased the hight by two plates in the rear and one plate in the front. As a result I have very bumpy ride already. Think the solution lies only in SPOA. I want to avoid it. I use the gypsy for highway drives too.

Any suggestions, please

Dwarak
i think if you rework the wheel arches and the wheel wells it might help.

Last edited by siddartha : 21st April 2009 at 13:05.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 13:22   #73
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,404
Thanked: 4,092 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i think if you rework the wheel arches and the wheel wells it might help.
Siddartha, I'm not to sure about this. Especially going by the kind of terrain you guys venture. How much you can work on wheel arch? Vertical movement is way too much as I've noticed that day. Even while reversing (just before that electrical issue) front wheels were pushing body hard.

dwaraka, I love the power you have now and it sounds just like my Amby.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 13:40   #74
BHPian
 
siddartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 671
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Siddartha, I'm not to sure about this. Especially going by the kind of terrain you guys venture. How much you can work on wheel arch? Vertical movement is way too much as I've noticed that day. Even while reversing (just before that electrical issue) front wheels were pushing body hard.

dwaraka, I love the power you have now and it sounds just like my Amby.
in the case of dwaraks gypsy due to the modded bodywork the depth of the wheel well and the height of the wheel arches is lesser than a regular gypsy.

lol , DC didnt know that this gypsy was gonna be taken off the road.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 13:51   #75
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,404
Thanked: 4,092 Times
Default

In that case Dwarak can take her back to DC again. But god only knows what will come out.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powering Headphones ScarySkulls In-Car Entertainment 12 21st November 2015 13:56
Powering up Power of Gypsy, Should I go for it? airwolf9211 4x4 Vehicles 13 1st March 2011 01:08
Good speaker cables from powering alpine components ravigop In-Car Entertainment 6 29th January 2009 17:55
New Engine powering the Fabia Soon abhinav.gupta88 The Indian Car Scene 129 9th January 2009 15:06
Powering the vehicle with lemons ! ! rags The Indian Car Scene 13 23rd October 2007 09:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks