Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2016, 19:09   #436
BHPian

Re: Next Gen Bajaj Pulsars - SS400 & CS400 (rechristened as Dominar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
It is actually, especially if you consider a "Tank Bag"
Yeah, true that with tank bags, the speedo would have been hidden away from view. Now that would still be fine when carrying groceries from neighborhood stores but might be bothersome on long tours!

Quote:
Power is almost academical. What matters (and what can actually be felt) is the TORQUE.
In which case, it would be interesting to see if torque improves considerably over the KTMs. But the KTM already is pretty torquey so Bajaj's take on the mill is something to look forward to.

Quote:
35 Ps is more than enough on Indian roads. The Torque would be decent given the 373 cc engine.
More power never hurts, does it?

Quote:
What matters more for me is we are getting ABS. and also Tubeless Tyres (something that Royal Enfield don't get)
I hope it is a proper ABS like KTM and no shortcut. Having lived with ABS, this is one feature I would pick over anything else!

With RE Classic 350 starting at 1.3L, would Dominar compete with it? If so, this would be a game-changer!! But with the speculated prices coming out, I wonder Dominar would retail around this figure.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 20:11   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
In which case, it would be interesting to see if torque improves considerably over the KTMs.

But the KTM already is pretty torquey so Bajaj's take on the mill is something to look forward to.
The 390 does have healthy torque.. but it's the short gearing that gives the KTMs the frantic character.

I would like the Dominar to have a more relaxed and long legged and mature character

Quote:
I hope it is a proper ABS like KTM and no shortcut. Having lived with ABS, this is one feature I would pick over anything else!.
Single channel ABS is all I need. I brake mostly with the front brakes, therefore want ABS on the front wheels.

Rear wheels hardly lock unless the front brakes aren't applied.

Food for thought: How do cars Brake?

Last edited by payeng : 12th December 2016 at 20:20.
Old 12th December 2016, 20:25   #438
BHPian

Quote:
The 390 does have healthy torque.. but it's the short gearing that gives the KTMs the frantic character.

I would like the Dominar to have a more relaxed and long legged and mature character

Single channel ABS is all I need. I brake mostly with the front brakes, therefore want ABS on the front wheels.

Food for thought: How do cars Brake?
All four Wheels with Front Tires given more prominence

https://www.howacarworks.com/basics/...g-system-works

The front brakes play a greater part in stopping the car than the rear ones, because braking throws the car weight forward on to the front wheels
Old 12th December 2016, 20:33   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
All four Wheels with Front Tires given more prominence

The front brakes play a greater part in stopping the car than the rear ones, because braking throws the car weight forward on to the front wheels

Exactly. Same principle is applicable for motorcycles.

Also on motorcycle it's almost impossible to recover from a Front wheel lock.

For someone who brakes with the front (correct method to Brake), a Single channel ABS is all that is required.

But dual channel won't be bad at all

Last edited by payeng : 12th December 2016 at 20:44.
Old 12th December 2016, 21:35   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Now this is a bit off-topic but I found RC to have much more smoothened out torque as compared to wheelie-popping nature of Duke. I think altering the character is pretty easy on this platform

Quote:
Any more relaxed than RC and Dominar would become boring.

Quote:

Yeah it is front wheel locking which makes rider bite the dust. Rear wheel lock can be negotiated relatively much easily. However, I don't have experience of RS200 so don't know how close to KTM is the ABS in Bajaj. All is wish is it the same, which is truly fantastic!!
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 11:11   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Any more relaxed than RC and Dominar would become boring.
+1

IMO, RC390 is the perfect bike for touring (I dont mind the riding position at all, infact, the committed riding position is lovely!). 44bhp is adequate, not fast by any means. If Dominar 400 is out with 35 bhp, it definitely is going to be boring. But let us wait and see.

35 bhp is going to be a good upgrade for Royal Enfield lovers though.
Old 13th December 2016, 11:20   #442
BANNED

Next Gen Bajaj Pulsars -  SS400 & CS400 (rechristened as Dominar)-usb.jpg
Is it only me, or Bajaj has given something like a USB port on the fuel tank? Some sort of mobile phone charging point?
Old 13th December 2016, 11:27   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
IMO, RC390 is the perfect bike for touring
I wouldn't want to call it a perfect bike but yes, for touring 300-400 kms on butter-smooth national highways, RC is pretty good. However, any longer distance or any poorer roads and committed position with that wooden plank called seat takes away the fun and it becomes a chore.

I guess Duke is a better tourer even though it offers nil windblast protection.

Quote:
35 bhp is going to be a good upgrade for Royal Enfield lovers though.
I am not very sure of that. RE is a totally different beast which almost does not have any equivalent competition. I wonder if Dominar can match the torque wave of RE in any gear at any speed. With RE, one always feels invited to just relax and enjoy the moment. KTMs on other hand demand complete undivided attention!
Old 13th December 2016, 11:36   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't want to call it a perfect bike but yes, for touring 300-400 kms on butter-smooth national highways, RC is pretty good. However, any longer distance or any poorer roads and committed position with that wooden plank called seat takes away the fun and it becomes a chore.

I guess Duke is a better tourer even though it offers nil windblast protection.

I am not very sure of that. RE is a totally different beast which almost does not have any equivalent competition. I wonder if Dominar can match the torque wave of RE in any gear at any speed. With RE, one always feels invited to just relax and enjoy the moment. KTMs on other hand demand complete undivided attention!

After market seat cushions help greatly. And the Duke 390 does not provide enough space for the knee for tall riders (to me personally 6'2), and wind blast is a big turnoff.

True about Royal Enfields being relaxed. But even the 500 cc enfields feel underpowered during long rides. They can do 120 kmph but the vibrations post 100 can be irritating. Dominar can be a good upgrade for people who bought bullets aiming to tour on them, but are disappointed with the limited cruising speeds.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 11:51   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dominar can be a good upgrade for people who bought bullets aiming to tour on them, but are disappointed with the limited cruising speeds.

Simply put the Dominar can be a option for guys who would have had no other option other than the Royal Enfield's till now.

Add to that features like ABS, Tubeless Tyres, Perimeter Frame: All that are not just cosmetic but functional as well and not found on the REs.

payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 11:55   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Add to that features like ABS, Tubeless Tyres, Perimeter Frame: All that are not just cosmetic but functional as well and not found on the REs.
Exactly!, Add to the list - alloy wheels, all at a price which is on par, or lesser(hopefully) than the Enfield 500s.

IMO, if the Dominar ABS is going to be priced above 1.8 lakhs OTR, it is a no brainer to extend the budget by a little and go for the better-looking, feature rich, faster Duke 390.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 13th December 2016 at 12:00.
Old 13th December 2016, 12:24   #447
BHPian

Quote:
After market seat cushions help greatly. And the Duke 390 does not provide enough space for the knee for tall riders (to me personally 6'2), and wind blast is a big turnoff.
For me at 5'4, space for knees is the last concern!!
With an already intimidating saddle height, you would now know why I don't have cushions or gel seats!!

Quote:
Well, Mojo was one bike which nearly offered all this (minus ABS). It was sad to see such a potential bike fade away.

Quote:
IMO, if the Dominar ABS is going to be priced above 1.8 lakhs OTR, it is a no brainer to extend the budget by a little and go for the better-looking, feature rich, faster Duke 390.
Precisely! If Dominar is considerably under-powered than Duke, it better be considerably cheaper as well. However, I am sure Bajaj being Bajaj they would never disappoint when it comes to price!!
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 12:39   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
AFAIK Bajaj is planning to re-start their pro-biking section. Will it be called 'Pro-biking' or something else is yet unknown. This section will take care of sales and service of their 300+cc motorcycles. Hence the possible name change.
Separate Showroom Guidelines have been set for Showrooms where Dominar will be launched..I guess that means those Showrooms will need equipment and staff who can handle the kind of educated and enlightened customer that the Dominar expects to Attract...similar to what the Probiking guys used to be..
Old 13th December 2016, 12:49   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Looks chunky and beefy. I like it. By the way, the article on that link states that the gross weight of the motorcycle will be 322 kilograms. That can't be right.
Even Your Average Enfields weight 180 Kgs. This Weight Cannot be TRUE !!
Old 13th December 2016, 12:51   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_sathaye View Post
Separate Showroom Guidelines have been set for Showrooms where Dominar will be launched..I guess that means those

Showrooms will need equipment and staff who can handle the kind of educated and enlightened customer that the Dominar expects to Attract...similar to what the Probiking guys used to be..
Great piece of news.

If Bajaj wan't to position the Dominar as a lifestyle product, then the approach has to be so.

Like how RE has done with the revamped look, touch and feel of its network. Going forward, Bajaj should consider (seriously and not half hardheartedly) accessories and merchandise like how RE has done.

But it all depends on how much Pull the Dominar can generate.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks