Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 16:42   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: Next Gen Bajaj Pulsars - SS400 & CS400 (rechristened as Dominar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Call me a skeptic, but I'd like to know for sure The picture is not convincing enough!

Your logic is correct, the RS200 has a closed loop system. Would make no sense to have a open loop setup on the 400 (*if* if the 400 is Fi).

It would also make no sense if the RS200 gets Fuel Injection as standard and the Flagship Pulsar remains Carbureted.

In which case (if it gets Carburetor), they would certainly lose two potential customers (yourself and me)

Last edited by payeng : 6th September 2016 at 16:53.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 16:52   #332
BHPian

I feel this machine should have got close to 40hp power than the 35hp it is getting :(

It would have given it a better stance. However, given that they are pitting it against RE, even 30hp would have done the job.
Viv3k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 17:32   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
I feel this machine should have got close to 40hp power than the 35hp it is getting :(

It would have given it a better stance. However, given that they are pitting it against RE, even 30hp would have done the job.
I am infact hoping for a lower powered version (35 HP vs 40 / 45 HP). I want a bike which I can ride on a day to day basis without the mandatory advanced gear (Jacket, Knee pads, etc) which I feel is necessary on a Duke 390.
Old 6th September 2016, 17:41   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post

We shouldn't be comparing these bikes with RE at a tech/spec level. RE represents an entirely different spectrum of bikers, and the only way something like a Pulsar can dream about making headways into their territory is by offering something at appeals at a spiritual level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I am infact hoping for a lower powered version (35 HP vs 40 / 45 HP). I want a bike which I can ride on a day to day basis without the mandatory advanced gear (Jacket, Knee pads, etc) which I feel is necessary on a Duke 390.
I don't see how a 5-10 HP difference is going reduce the risk of injury on the road, going by that logic I shouldn't be wearing any gear at all on my measly 20HP machine.

BTW, riding gear (barring helmet) will only protect you from superficial wounds. It will not help you in the situation where you maybe breaking bones. So if you are riding a 8HP TVS Victor doing 60 Kmph you can still get pretty badly injured in case of a fall.

Last edited by praful : 6th September 2016 at 17:46.
praful is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 17:52   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't see how a 5-10 HP difference is going reduce the risk of injury on the road, going by that logic I shouldn't be wearing any gear at all on my measly 20HP machine.

BTW, riding gear (barring helmet) will only protect you from superficial wounds. It will not help you in the situation where you maybe breaking bones. So if you are riding a 8HP TVS Victor doing 60 Kmph you can still get pretty badly injured in case of a fall.
I understand this however I want a bike which can do city commute (~30 kms from home to office) as well as weekend tours comfortably. Riding Gear is very difficult to carry for commuter application, especially if I need to visit 2-3 client locations. The nature of performance the Duke offers has no scope for the same. I drove the same for a short distance and the performance (with the light weight) was absolutely scary
Old 6th September 2016, 17:58   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand this however I want a bike which can do city commute (~30 kms from home to office) as well as weekend tours comfortably.

Riding Gear is very difficult to carry for commuter application, especially if I need to visit 2-3 client locations.
Try automatic scooters like the Activa/Jupiter etc. They area hoot to commute in our crowded cities.. plus they also come with under seat storage and additional storage area on the foorboard.

Plus anyone from the family (male/female/elders/teenagers) can ride these automatic scooters

Old 6th September 2016, 18:01   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Try automatic scooters like the Activa/Jupiter etc. They area hoot to commute in our crowded cities.. plus they also come with under seat storage and additional storage area on the foorboard.

Plus anyone from the family (male/female/elders/teenagers) can ride these automatic scooters
Have an Access already, but not worthy of riding on the Eastern Express. Also weekend trips are not feasible with the ~6 litre tank. Have tried the same.

Plus as you would understand, any bike purchase above 150 CC are a heart purchase and the mopeds are just not good enough.
Old 6th September 2016, 19:47   #338
BHPian

One thing i'd be very worried about this bike is a possible subsequent release of vs 200, 180, 150, 125 and the likes! I hope Bajaj maintains some exclusivity and doesn't dilute the brand and the design.
Old 6th September 2016, 23:11   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
One thing i'd be very worried about this bike is a possible subsequent release of vs 200, 180, 150, 125 and the likes! I hope Bajaj maintains some exclusivity and doesn't dilute the brand and the design.
Hopefully the CTO sticks to his word, you might want to fast forward to the 7 minute mark see the answer to your question.

Old 7th September 2016, 09:30   #340
BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't work that way. Irrespective of a scooter or motorcycle, it is always better to wear riding gear (at least the jacket). My brother-in-law learnt this the very hard way. Picture this, the signal turns green and he is on a P150. Slots to first gear and moves ahead at around 10kmph. At the same time, a cyclist cuts his lane and the rear of the cycle jolts the front wheel of the pulsar. My BIL loses balance and fell down (probably one of the softest fall according to bystanders).

Vehicle doesn't have a single scratch but his knee cap had a hairline fracture which could have easily been avoided with a knee guard. Luckily, he didn't need a surgery but took close to eight months for recovery. To make matters worse, he still can't fold his leg 100% and doctors have said there is an increased chance of arthritis :(

Please get the riding gear even if its a scooter (especially since you travel on express way). It might not save you 100% but the impact will be mitigated.

PS: Dukes not only need those riding gear, they need saner riders as well.
Viv3k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 12:05   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Hopefully the CTO sticks to his word, you might want to fast forward to the 7 minute mark see the answer to your question.

Thanks! I hope they don't!
As it is, currently, brand pulsar doesn't have the snob value of bullet or thunderbird. Not that it should affect sales if bike itself is competent.

Royal Enfield has had a long golden run in its price range with little competition. Some healthy competition will definitely help stir up the segment and result in some better bikes in the long run!

Last edited by SDP : 8th September 2016 at 09:32. Reason: Removing video link from quoted post
Old 7th September 2016, 12:18   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I always find people, in general, having very similar perception towards Bajaj and Tata Motors.
Exactly my thoughts. I happen to own my bike from Bajaj and car from Tata and have been a proud owner of both. They have never disappointed me and never left me stranded. This I can say after riding my bike for 50,000+ km and driven my car from Bangalore to Nagpur/Pune/Goa/Hyderabad on multiple occasions.

I do not say about this forum, but people in general do not seem to have any trust factor in the products from these brands.
Anyways, this topic is for Pulsar CS400 so let me stick on it.

I went to a Bajaj showroom (Khivraj Bajaj) near my home in Bangalore. The person over there told me that the bookings might start in another 15-20 days. Soon enough they would be getting the test ride vehicle and he has taken down my details to give me a call once they get the bike.

Let this bike launch. Let people get their hands on it. The quality of the bike will speak for itself. It does not make any sense for me to compare CS400 with REs. Bikes are a matter of subject and the liking depend on individual. We should not brand people who ride something different with anything.

I have been very happy with my Pulsar 150 UG3. It was from the first batch and except for a bug in the speedometer and a small flaw in the gear box, rest of the bike is impeccable. I could have got my gear box also corrected/replaced if I had pushed for it. But I let it be. Anyways, it was the first iteration of First down Four up pattern of the gear box from Bajaj.

Now I am in the market looking out for a worthy upgrade. Along with CS400, there are few more bikes that are in my mind. I am going to evaluate all of them on my own and then will decide. After all, it is me who has to ride the machine.

When I get the chance to test ride CS400, I will surely put my findings on this forum. But those opinions will strictly be mine
driverabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 14:34   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post

Also my RE's 500 cc engine doesn't generate as much heat as a duke 390's does. So I believe that "modern" liquid cooling is really not necessary. Compression ratios are vastly different and REs aren't really great on hp.

ABS - yes, I do agree. That should be a must on REs. I have fishtailed a lot of times and the brakes are not confidence inspiring. The rear disc locks up a lot of the time - in panic braking, one may not always recall to press the rear brake lightly.

I can't even push my bike above 110 kmph but that's a different problem. About the LED headlamp, I'm sure once they become commonplace, a lot of RE users will hack their REs to fit those LEDs there.
C5 doesn't run at insane rpms, its technically less efficient with that big and longer bored engine (RE trying to keep its characteristically similar to older iron cast RE). RE still generate lots of heat mine even shut down during summers. Any bike with higher engine compression plus capability of higher rpm (12k and more) needs liquid cooling to dissipate heat faster. Also C5 outside of India already have a closed loop FI plus liquid cooling.

ABS on C5 would be good, but too much to expect from RE on their own, it would be interesting when the new safety regulations kicks in when RE will be forced to put ABS.

Lot of people claim to push beyond 110 kmph, which is only exception as most REc5 don't go above 110 simply because they do not have a 6th gear yes we don't have a 6 gear on a 500cc bike. A word of caution c5 is best at 70-90 on a highway keeping it above for longer durations might result in eventual cylinder/piston problems.

There are already LED main light replacement for 7inch headlamps that have LED components including DRL and lens focus all over the internet

I just wanted to add to my previous post.

Adding components in RE will result it being much costlier or equal to most 200cc + bikes

ABS will add at least 15k this would be single channel I think.
Oil cooling 5-10k or so.
Closed loop FI -10k

With ex showroom price of c5 near 1.6 it climbs up to 1.9lac.

VS is not a direct comparison by bike type but for 'use case' type I am assuming for most people here like me who would wander long distances and want a bike that does dual purpose with more reliability, efficiency, comfort and mileage as main components. We didn't have too many right compromises in a bike, be it mahindra ktm or upcoming tvs and bmw and also existing RE.

Even if one accepts it or most of us end up making compromises in a particular case type according to your requirements.

This probably settles the argument of comparison, the point that even Rajiv bajaj talked in the interview when he said to exploit the category that is medium engine (200-400cc) powered touring.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 8th September 2016 at 09:31. Reason: Merging back to back posts
saargoga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 15:29   #344
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Pulsar VS400 launch delayed

Bajaj Auto has delayed the India launch of its upcoming flagship motorcycle - the Pulsar VS400. Earlier speculated to be launched in the September-October period, it will now be introduced post Diwali, though a final date still hasn’t been revealed.

In a recent interview, S Ravikumar, President-Business Development at Bajaj Auto, mentioned that the company has decided to push back the VS400 launch in order to concentrate on the demand surge expected during this year's festive season. The two-wheeler manufacturer is expecting huge volumes of its 150 cc segment bikes, especially the V15 and the Avenger 150. A new launch could have adversely hit the production capacity of these models, thus taking a toll on Bajaj's sales targets. This was the reason behind rescheduling the VS400 launch.

Source: MoneyControl

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 14th September 2016 at 15:34.
Old 14th September 2016, 15:47   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Bajaj Pulsar VS400 launch delayed

Bajaj Auto has delayed the India launch of its upcoming flagship motorcycle - the Pulsar VS400. Earlier speculated to be launched in the September-October period, it will now be introduced post Diwali, though a final date still hasn’t been revealed.

In a recent interview, S Ravikumar, President-Business Development at Bajaj Auto, mentioned that the company has decided to push back the VS400 launch in order to concentrate on the demand surge expected during this year's festive season. The two-wheeler manufacturer is expecting huge volumes of its 150 cc segment bikes, especially the V15 and the Avenger 150. A new launch could have adversely hit the production capacity of these models, thus taking a toll on Bajaj's sales targets. This was the reason behind rescheduling the VS400 launch.

Source: MoneyControl

Link to Team-BHP News
Hamara Bajaj - Known for launching the motorcycles after they have been seen on road for years!

But i hope this extra time for testing finally results in a niggle free motorcycle cause that is point no. 2 of Hamara Bajaj - V1.0 will make you go nuts with all the chinks!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks