Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2012, 22:40   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Suzuki: If you are reading this - You've got a fantastic product in the Swish - unlike the bikes in your range. Market it properly.
Thanks for sharing your detailed TD experiences with us. My sister is also looking to buy a gearless scooter and she's new to riding. When she asked me which is the best,I'd recommended Activa, but based on your post i think Swish is a far better choice.

By any chance do you happen to know if the Swish is available readily or one has to wait ?
Old 14th July 2012, 23:18   #2042
BHPian

Quote:

1. Honda Dio - First visit was to the Honda showroom. Infact - she had already decided that its going to be a Dio. Now - How to lose such a customer? Ya, the 'Honda way' of doing things.

Showroom 1:
The first response we got after we uttered the word 'Dio' in the showroom - Waiting period of 1 month, sir. Ok fine, went to check the scoot. She was all happy, though the lack of useable storage space (Full size helmet is a tight fit) was a disappointment. Now, we asked for the test drive - and they brought out an old model Dio - telling both are the same madam. When i pointed out the engine is different - they kept on telling both are Honda engine sir, only cc is different. Ya, right!

Showroom 2:
Do you have Dio test drive vehicles?
Yes sir. But its gone outside.
Ok. When can you arrange us a test drive?
Next week sir.
Why?
Vehicle is in transit sir.
Do you have Activa test drive?
Vehicle is not allotted sir.

Thats it for Honda. We decided to move on to other brands. TVS was up next. I was really interested in checking out Wego since there are a lot of positive reviews on the net.
Was your experience in Trivandrum or Chennai? If it was in TRivandrum and at EVM HOnda, Neeramankara, no surprise!
Old 15th July 2012, 09:25   #2043
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
The devilish imp I am at making minds change I wanted to suggest you not to miss checking out one in white, but then I hit the bed, holding back a one-liner.

Thanks for the crisp comparo. Exactly what I wanted to know of the new kid on the block. I guessed the 10+hp from the 125cc would have blown the competition away, but you proved it wrong. We have a Vespa LX 125
on our forum, but any number of reviews and snaps are insatiable for any BHPian http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rt-motion.html

The Vespa web-site quotes a price of 68k and does the tax and insurance come to more than 10%? Definitely pricier for the common man, but then exclusivity and class does not come cheap. Does the dealer, EVM I guess, have a service center alongside the showroom?

Adding to your confusion, I will ask the golden question. Will you/wife go with the the retro OR the one that does somethings even better?

Its actually 10.06 PS and 10.6 Nm for the Vespa, compared to 8.7 hp and 10Nm. The Suzuki is a little short on power - but it has almost the same torque and the transmission seems to transfer it without much delay on to the road. Vespa takes its time building up the speeds, while Swish is pretty much twist and go from start.

Thanks for that link. Never noticed that someone has a Vespa already in team-bhp. We checked the scooter in Chennai, and not TVM and that explains the heavy OTR prices.

Regarding the purchase decision - I am not sure yet - I am leaving it to her. Both ways - I'll be happy man. With the Swish, I am sure I'll have fun whenever I get to take it out. With the Vespa, i can only imagine what a beautiful scene it will be - a white Vespa along with my BN White Punto 90.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Thanks for sharing your detailed TD experiences with us. My sister is also looking to buy a gearless scooter and she's new to riding. When she asked me which is the best,I'd recommended Activa, but based on your post i think Swish is a far better choice.

By any chance do you happen to know if the Swish is available readily or one has to wait ?
My wife hates the Activa. One reason is because its so common. There are only two types of scooters on our roads - Activa for one, and all the others. The second reason she says is that Activa is not as balanced as some other options available. Try TVS Wego/ Swish etc and you'll get my point.

However - resale value etc should be best with Activa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Was your experience in Trivandrum or Chennai? If it was in TRivandrum and at EVM HOnda, Neeramankara, no surprise!
It was in Chennai, but I've had a bitter experience with EVM Honda, Neeramankara long time back - that too when the showroom had only been recently opened.

Guess its a universal thing with Honda showrooms. Even for cars - they used to tell - 'its a Honda Sir' until recently.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th July 2012 at 09:27.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 10:18   #2044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My sister is also looking to buy a gearless scooter and she's new to riding.
Access was my first choice as well, but sadly my wife is only 5'2, so both the feet were hanging in air when she was on Access.

So if your sister is able to rest her feet comfortably than nothing better than Swish.

Else try Wego, it handles much better than other scooters and averages consistently in range of 40-45kmpl.

Activa's sucess seesm to have gone to head of Honda dealers.
Old 15th July 2012, 18:17   #2045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My wife hates the Activa. One reason is because its so common. There are only two types of scooters on our roads - Activa for one, and all the others. The second reason she says is that Activa is not as balanced as some other options available. Try TVS Wego/ Swish etc and you'll get my point.

However - resale value etc should be best with Activa.
We're not worried about resale as of now, getting a good and comfortable scooter for a long commute (30kms in total) is what i'm looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Access was my first choice as well, but sadly my wife is only 5'2, so both the feet were hanging in air when she was on Access.

So if your sister is able to rest her feet comfortably than nothing better than Swish.

Else try Wego, it handles much better than other scooters and averages consistently in range of 40-45kmpl.

Activa's sucess seesm to have gone to head of Honda dealers.
Oh, my sister is 5'2", i'll check for this before she buys any scooter. Not very keen on Honda as it has a huge wait period and the sooner we get one for her, the better it is.
Old 16th July 2012, 00:18   #2046
BHPian

I have a 1997 December model Bajaj Sunny Zip(probably the first indigenous gearless scooter) which has done 10,7XX kms on the odo. Recently the acceleration has gone down. The vehicle feels strained even at 20 kmph. Recently went to a local mechanic who cleaned the carburettor,spark plugs and the engine head. He also checked the brakes to ensure that they were not touching the brake lining. But the issue has not been resolved yet. He says that an engine overhaul will solve the problem. Can a Bajaj engine just last for 10000 odd kms. The Bajaj Authorised Service guys tell that they have stopped support and spares for this model. I could not sell the vehicle as it is very attached to me. So experts, your opinions pleaseLooking forward for your support.Moderators please move this thread if I have posted in the wrong place.
Old 16th July 2012, 14:14   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
I have a 1997 December model Bajaj Sunny Zip(probably the first indigenous gearless scooter) which has done 10,7XX kms on the odo. Recently the acceleration has gone down. The vehicle feels strained even at 20 kmph. Recently went to a local mechanic who cleaned the carburettor,spark plugs and the engine head. He also checked the brakes to ensure that they were not touching the brake lining. But the issue has not been resolved yet. He says that an engine overhaul will solve the problem. Can a Bajaj engine just last for 10000 odd kms. The Bajaj Authorised Service guys tell that they have stopped support and spares for this model. I could not sell the vehicle as it is very attached to me. So experts, your opinions pleaseLooking forward for your support.Moderators please move this thread if I have posted in the wrong place.
I had the previous avatar of this, plain vanilla Bajaj Sunny on which I started my riding career. Did about 35K kms before letting it go gleefully since I was quite frustrated with its reliability (or the lack of it). There were many things wrong in it. Engine build was the worst of the market and no amount of "repairs" worked. Finally when it I felt it was going smooth after a session with the mechanic, I sold it off quickly before I could made a u-turn to the mechanic.

So the engine does last for more than 10K kms, but it is a frustrating ride nevertheless.

Prajwal
Old 16th July 2012, 17:51   #2048
BHPian

Just so if this helps anybody planning one, I own a Suzuki Access for the past 2.5 years and it has served us pretty well. Both me and my wife use it regularly and we have clocked 11.5K so far.

Only thing is after completing the warranty/free service period of 2 years, everytime I give it for service, it is a pain because some service centers accept the vehicle for service in a manner similar to Tatkal tickets or Indian Railways. If you dont reach in time, sorry sir-yard full. Please come tomorrow early in the morning.

Hoping to find a better service center that is near my place and doesnt create so much pain.
Old 17th July 2012, 10:25   #2049
BHPian

Not surprisingly, the Rodeo RZ does not feature in anyone's shortlist. Has a lot going for it now

1. Powerful 125cc engine. Supposedly smooth too.
2. Decent mileage (ARAI rated) plus the journo's invited for the test ride confirmed the same.
3. Decent features (front fuelling, mobile charging).
4. Decent package and looks (personally prefer this more than any other scooter in the market).
5. Downside - definitely poor resale value compared to competitors.

I have had this "urge" to stay away from the crowd/herd mentality. Hurts in some ways but benefits in many other ways.

Any practical reasons why this should not be worthy of considering? My need for a 2 wheeler is for weekend odd jobs - needs decent space (for carrying stuff), does not gulp fuel, has a good suspension, gives trouble-free service and looks good.

Am not fond of the Honda Activa/Dio due to wait periods, dealership attitude and old suspension (all based on online feedback, have no personal experience). TVS Wego looks terrible IMHO (personal views, apologies to owners). Suzuki's seem unexciting too.
Old 17th July 2012, 10:43   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Not surprisingly, the Rodeo RZ does not feature in anyone's shortlist. Has a lot going for it now

2. Decent mileage (ARAI rated) plus the journo's invited for the test ride confirmed the same.
4. Decent package and looks (personally prefer this more than any other scooter in the market).

I have had this "urge" to stay away from the crowd/herd mentality. Hurts in some ways but benefits in many other ways.

Any practical reasons why this should not be worthy of considering? My need for a 2 wheeler is for weekend odd jobs - needs decent space (for carrying stuff), does not gulp fuel, has a good suspension, gives trouble-free service and looks good.

Am not fond of the Honda Activa/Dio due to wait periods, dealership attitude and old suspension (all based on online feedback, have no personal experience). TVS Wego looks terrible IMHO (personal views, apologies to owners). Suzuki's seem unexciting too.
What goes against Rodeo is it being a "non-Japanese" scooter!! Lets face it, Japanesemake very reliable ones and most people look at Honda and see how it has served people over the years(Activa,Splendor(with the H engine etc) without any hassles while M&M doesnt have such a history.

and yes , as you said the dealership attitude at Honda is pathetic in 2 wheelers segment but the vehicle both Activa and Dio is just fantastic to drive and maintain. I havent tried Suzuki extensively so cant comment on it!
Old 17th July 2012, 12:47   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too am a little like that and ended up with the Sym Flyte (Rodeo has same mechanicals with different clothes)

Quote:
My need for a 2 wheeler is for weekend odd jobs - needs decent space (for carrying stuff), does not gulp fuel, has a good suspension, gives trouble-free service and looks good.
Flyte/Rodeo has awesome suspension. But our Flyte used to gulp fuel like nobody's business and finally after around 8000kms it lost the pick up as well. The service center was not able to fix the issues and we ended up booking our loses by selling it for half the price.

The mileage quoted by ARAI and journos need to be taken with a pound of salt. I am not saying all Flytes return poor mileage but if you end up with a Rodeo/Duro giving you poor mileage the service center is not competent enough to fix any issues and independent mechanics cannot do much either.

Why dont you try the Vespa? A fellow T-Bhpian has bought it and put up his ownership thread!
Old 17th July 2012, 13:51   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own a Flyte (same mechanicals as Rodeo), and the only reason we bought it is because we needed a scooter ASAP, wife insisted we buy new, and this was the only one with a zero waiting period.

One reason to stay away - quality of components used is poorer than the Jap scooters. Touch-wood, I have had no issues, but I can clearly see where quality has been compromised where it would not have been with Honda (I used to own a Dio) or a Suzuki, or even a TVS.
Old 18th July 2012, 18:02   #2053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess they have too much demand - to even care for customers needing a TD to decide the product. Anyways - did not mention Aviator since it was never in the list at all. I guess it doesn't appeal to the fairer sex that much.
Aviator is the only one with big wheels and F.disk brake both of which improve safety. So you get a lot more for you money compared to a Vespa. I suggest you check it out.

Since the demand is not as much as Activa, you should get a better response from the dealer.
Old 18th July 2012, 20:29   #2054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak

Stay away from any scooter from mahindra stable. All of them share the same engine which drinks petrol like water. And as someone mentioned the service center can't do a damn about it. Frankly my Flyte has returned max of 33 till now. No amount of tuning by many mechanics has helped.

Also the basic design is poor. For example the battery location. It awfully difficult to remove it and fit back for normal maintenance . So ALL service centers never bother checking the battery.
And the fuel tank. Front loading looks lovey dovey , but problem is air locks which don't get cleared quick at time of filling petrol for full tank. I have observed it takes nearly 700 ml more petrol even after full tank if we leave the lid open and rock the vehicle on main stand.

The fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate.

My suggestion would be to go for wego. Its an awesome machine and you won't repent it
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 19:04   #2055
BHPian

Returned from sailing yesterday and hit the newly opened TVS showroom immediately with lot of preoccupation of picking up a wego.

Whata beautiful machine. But the space on foot board too bad. also the curves of seat and rake of handle made it almost impossible for my daughter to stand on footboard for her intended school drops / pick ups about 700m away.

This is a prime requisite for us. She is too young to sit by herself as pillion. Hence left the showwroom with heavy heart.

Now thinking of picking scooty pep +/ scooty streak.

Any pointers? I guess both are reliable. Mahindra Duro DZ is also considered. But ownership experience of flyte has been just ok. Nothing too great there.

Activa is too heavy for dad. Now would test pleasure as well. But man, the prices have shot through roofs. Wego costs whopping 55 k in Kolhapur.

Would be graetful for pointers over pep + / streak / pleasure.

Last edited by sindabad.sailor : 19th July 2012 at 19:06. Reason: typo error
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks