Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2009, 23:00   #1
BHPian

My 1960 Fiat 1100

One Sunday afternoon surfing the internet hoping to get a glimpse of the
Cartier Concours D’Elegance held in mumbai, I came across team-bhp.

Shocked by the poor coverage of this event by the media in general, I was delighted to see that Team-Bhp and its members had truly captured every detail in a character befitting a connoisseur. I wasted no time in signing up, and to catch up on lost ground I spent most of my free time reading various threads and post's covered under the forum, vintage cars & Classics in India.

I am taking the liberty of starting this thread in the hope of restoring a vintage back to its old glory with a lot of help from my fellow team-bhpians.. 4266 as she is better known at home, has been with us since 1966. It was a purchase my grand father made after selling his Austin 16. The car was sparingly used by her first owner as it was by us.

Restore would be a very harsh word to use, as my father has looked after the car very well. Although it was the primary car of the house for a very long time its only done 125000 miles. Although the car might have lost a few original parts like tail lapms etc to wear&tear and regular service, to the best of my knowledge the car is mechanically in original condition. We always got her serviced with the same mechanic who is known to the family. Just got the engine overhauled and some minor servicing done...

I am not well versed with the detailing of the car and thus need your assistance. It means a lot to me as its been with us for now over 40 years. Looking forward to all the help and advise i can get.

regards
Attached Thumbnails
My 1960 Fiat 1100-pic01.gif  

My 1960 Fiat 1100-pic02.gif  

My 1960 Fiat 1100-pic03.gif  

My 1960 Fiat 1100-pic04.gif  

Last edited by aah78 : 19th May 2009 at 23:25. Reason: Text format tags removed. Thread moved to Post-1950 section.
Old 19th May 2009, 23:43   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
One Sunday afternoon surfing the internet hoping to get a glimpse of the
Cartier Concours D’Elegance held in mumbai, I came across team-bhp.

Shocked by the poor coverage of this event by the media in general, I was delighted to see that Team-Bhp and its members had truly captured every detail in a character befitting a connoisseur. I wasted no time in signing up, and to catch up on lost ground I spent most of my free time reading various threads and post's covered under the forum, vintage cars & Classics in India.

I am taking the liberty of starting this thread in the hope of restoring a vintage back to its old glory with a lot of help from my fellow team-bhpians.. 4266 as she is better known at home, has been with us since 1966. It was a purchase my grand father made after selling his Austin 16. The car was sparingly used by her first owner as it was by us.

Restore would be a very harsh word to use, as my father has looked after the car very well. Although it was the primary car of the house for a very long time its only done 125000 miles. Although the car might have lost a few original parts like tail lapms etc to wear&tear and regular service, to the best of my knowledge the car is mechanically in original condition. We always got her serviced with the same mechanic who is known to the family. Just got the engine overhauled and some minor servicing done...

I am not well versed with the detailing of the car and thus need your assistance. It means a lot to me as its been with us for now over 40 years. Looking forward to all the help and advise i can get.

regards
Awesome car and yes the originality is surely not maintained but preserved. As I could say, Just keep it as it is. Protect it from the nature and prying eyes (It is surely a looker). I am sure the Gurus here would have similar replies.
Old 20th May 2009, 00:15   #3

Well, this car is in very good shape!! Keep up the good work!! You have a few rare parts like the Alluminium Garnish below the windscreens!! All you need is the original taillights and the Number plate lights!! ANd then this car will be perfect. Do also post some under hood pics!!
Old 20th May 2009, 00:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Attari, welcome to the forum !
You've got a beautiful and hugely original baby there. She's got many hard to find trim parts, I'm sure she's as good under the hood. Would love to see her in person sometime...
This forum is a great place for any kind of help / assistance you need, just go ahead and ask.
Cheers,
Ravi.
Old 20th May 2009, 09:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on owning a very pretty car. Also, welcome to the Fiat Classic Car Club of India.

Quote:
I wasted no time in signing up, and to catch up on lost ground I spent most of my free time reading various threads and post's covered under the forum, vintage cars & Classics in India.
Did you look hard enough to know your car is already featured (and praised) on the forum? Team BHP makes the world a small place

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1092079-post185.html

Cheers,
Karl
Old 20th May 2009, 14:04   #6
BHPian

You made my day mate.What a beauty?Is she from HYD ?
Old 20th May 2009, 14:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

I also have a exact same Fiat in Hyderabad "APY 6354 ". Where in Hyderabad do you guys call home.
Old 20th May 2009, 23:21   #8
BHPian

Its been just 24hrs and i am overwhelmed with the response from all of you. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Well, this car is in very good shape!! Keep up the good work!! You have a few rare parts like the Alluminium Garnish below the windscreens!! All you need is the original taillights and the Number plate lights!! ANd then this car will be perfect. Do also post some under hood pics!!
Dear Cyrus, i was aware about the taillights but the number plate lights i had no idea about. Also Stanher in an earlier post mentioned about the fuel-tank lid being incorrect. We have been looking for a few spares from time to time with very little luck. i guess one will have to try harder.

Also believe the car came with white walled tyres. please correct me if i am wrong and I will post under the hood pic shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Welcome aboard, and congratulations on owning a very pretty car. Also, welcome to the Fiat Classic Car Club of India.

Did you look hard enough to know your car is already featured (and praised) on the forum? Team BHP makes the world a small place

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1092079-post185.html

Cheers,
Karl
Dear Karl, I obviously havent spent enough time on this site yet. Thank you for pointing out the link, i showed it to my father and he was thrilled to bits. Team BHP truly makes the automobile world a small place.

Dad dosent recollect an encounter with Stanher. My grandmother used this car regularly until very recently and drove it herself. Keeping todays traffic in mind we had to hire a driver and later got her another car and insisted she stop using the fiat much to her dislike. (she still sneaks the car out sometime ). Its a second owner car, and we bought it in 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
You made my day mate.What a beauty?Is she from HYD ?
The car is in Hyderabad. Work brought me to Delhi a couple of months back and I visit home from time to time.

Once again thank you all for you inputs and i look forward to more.

Regards
Saif
Old 21st May 2009, 10:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Cyrus, i was aware about the taillights but the number plate lights i had no idea about. Also Stanher in an earlier post mentioned about the fuel-tank lid being incorrect. We have been looking for a few spares from time to time with very little luck. i guess one will have to try harder.

Also believe the car came with white walled tyres. please correct me if i am wrong and I will post under the hood pic shortly.
Dear Saif,

Your car is very original and presentable as it is, so don't fret. A few minor additions will embellish it, as and when located.

The fuel filler cap should be externally mounted, like the attatched picture.

My 1960 Fiat 1100-00.jpg

The taillights were offered with and without the central reflectors, and along with the number plate lights, were in bare aluminium, not chromed.

Otherwise most things appear to be in place, including your original keys I see! A set of white wall tyres (MRF Twin Tread is still available) will enhance the appearence of your already good looking car.

Wish you many years of happy motoring, and do not hesitate to ask us for any assistance.
Old 21st May 2009, 13:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard. That a really nice and original Fiat you hace there. Very rare to see the tear drop indicators.
Old 21st May 2009, 20:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

wow thats a nice car, can you confirm the make of your keys are they magneti marelli? if possible can you post a photo of the front and back for the same. I am doing a little key documentation project for fiats. Thanks
Old 21st May 2009, 22:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Welcome aboard. That a really nice and original Fiat you hace there. Very rare to see the tear drop indicators.
All the credit goes to my father, very particluar about who drives it. Never had a driver at home until only recently. The car is like a part of our family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
wow thats a nice car, can you confirm the make of your keys are they magneti marelli? if possible can you post a photo of the front and back for the same. I am doing a little key documentation project for fiats. Thanks
Dont have the pictures on hand yet.. Will arrange for them soon. the car in in hyderabad at home i live in delhi now so may take a while. But will tell you for sure shortly.

Below are some under the hood pictures....
Attached Thumbnails
My 1960 Fiat 1100-img00288.jpg  

My 1960 Fiat 1100-img00290.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2009, 02:13   #13

WHOAAAA!!! I guess the above pictures makes this car one of the most THE MOST OHH REE GEE NAL!! car in Team BHP. A few little changes and it is Concours Ready.. Brilliant!!
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Below are some under the hood pictures.
That really shows the history of your car - superb. You still retain the hard to find ventilation system with large pipe running from the grille to the bulkhead. I also see the rare washer fluid reservoir bag. Plus cool Sharco/Venus (?) horns.

I suppose you must have a large history file. If you do have the original bill of sale, warranty booklet, accessories list etc do share a scan with us.

Any contributions to this thread will also be welcome.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ly-s-cars.html
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
For Selects, all original keys I have seen (for ignition) are double sided 'Sipea', with an oval head. This car appears to have it, as does my one family owned car and President's all original one owner car.

The other key is used to operate door, boot and petrol cap. That will have a diamond head profile, also double sided. Most I have seen are 'Trama', a few 'Sipea' as well. Most have Torino inscribed as well, being made in Turin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks