Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 11:55   #241
Senior - BHPian

Sad story indeed. But I really wonder why did you agree to do it in the first place.

The love for restoration lies more in doing it for your own car or for someome who pays you well for it.

It is sad the way you were taken for granted. But, you should have alteast asked him for advances before proceeding with each stage. What did he think, just because it is an old car, restoration comes cheap?

It will not make any sense by telling him to pay you and then get the parts. He is capable of telling you to keep it, as he may have anyway sold it for scrap.

The last resort is to take legal action against him. Waiting for his reply

Is he also on TeamBHP?
Old 17th June 2010, 12:52   #242
BANNED

All you guys, I owe a Big thank you for the kind words of solace.

The car owner is indeed a T-BHP'ian (Americans58-65)

The total restoration cost has been Rs 1.28 lacs (Approx) and so far 1.03 being paid, but during the painting stages and the final stages, the payments never came, i was supposed to drive to Chennai with this car with the owner, but when the day arrived, he's cunningly sitting at London(How ridiculous), and also i was given Rs 1000/- for expenditure for the 2 day affair trip.

Regarding legal action, i have enough evidences via his e-mails sent to me, so no worries. Will wait for another 48 hours for his mail.

His Son-in-law is a nice chap, cut-off from this business. I hope i can get his help if nothing works.If in case...
Old 17th June 2010, 13:38   #243
BHPian

Hi Pavan,
Sad to hear this after doing so much hard work you need to followup with this kind of thing. Hope good sense prevails and your dues will cleared and matters end well. Now a days evening after spending money it is difficult to find somebody do restoration with dedication. Wish you good luck.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:16   #244
BHPian

Pavan - Have been following your thread & your journey of love & dedication towards restoring this & other timeless beauty's from the scrap heap.

You have done a wonderful job considering all the limitations available. The restoration cost has been DIRT CHEAP considering the value of the finished product.

The least the owner can do is show an appreciation of your hard work, apart from clearing the complete bill without any more such absurd & immature mails.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:21   #245
Senior - BHPian

Hey pawan sorry to hear about how the whole episode went sore, i always admired what you did and was thinking, i will do it some day too, i have established very good relationships with some workshop guys but now that you have mentioned the cons of living this dream as well, its been an eye opener.

Thanks for sharing.

Pramod
Old 17th June 2010, 14:21   #246
BHPian

Pavan - Have been following your thread & your journey of love & dedication towards restoring this & other timeless beauty's from the scrap heap.

You have done a wonderful job considering all the limitations available. The restoration cost has been DIRT CHEAP considering the value of the finished product.

The least the owner can do is show an appreciation of your hard work, apart from clearing the complete bill without any more such absurd & immature mails.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:24   #247
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Hi Pavan,
Sad to hear this after doing so much hard work you need to followup with this kind of thing. Hope good sense prevails and your dues will cleared and matters end well. Now a days evening after spending money it is difficult to find somebody do restoration with dedication. Wish you good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

In all context with all you known heads.

If this car would have gone to other restorers around the city, it certainly would have taken 3-4 times more on time and also on the money front to come out as a final product. Of course the car might have come out better, but the fact remains, the time and budget would have been blown out of proportions.

Only for this reason, i started taking up outside restorations. Only for the benefit of the community. To reduce the price and the time factor taken for restoration by others, and luckily i have survived a dozen of such restorations and thankfully by the grace of God, all my restorations are daily runners even today.

I spoke to Mr Beliappa's Son-in-law today. Though i could not get much of information from him, he's assured i'll get a call back from the owner and also confirms that the pending payments would be cleared and i need not worry

Hope this happens, i had infact even agreed to restore his Buick after i finish with this, but maybe that beauty will see some other fate.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:32   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Hope this happens, i had infact even agreed to restore his Buick after i finish with this, but maybe that beauty will see some other fate.
Another twist in the story. What buick is this if i may ask ?
Old 17th June 2010, 14:47   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
His Son-in-law is a nice chap, cut-off from this business. I hope i can get his help if nothing works.If in case...
The way those people are behaving, he seems to be a smart chap to cut himself out of his wife's family business. I do hope this is resolved, but if not, lets hope that he is able to help out.

Quote:
I spoke to Mr Beliappa's Son-in-law today. Though i could not get much of information from him, he's assured i'll get a call back from the owner and also confirms that the pending payments would be cleared and i need not worry
Ok, something positive.

Last edited by echo77 : 17th June 2010 at 14:51.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:16   #250
BHPian

Old 17th June 2010, 23:38   #251
Senior - BHPian

Good luck Pavan. I'm positive this story will have a happy end.

For all the good work you've put in, and for the fantastic result you've given, no man can possibly behave in the manner that these guys are..

You'll be the winner, I'm one hundred percent sure.
Old 18th June 2010, 00:03   #252
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for this back-to-back post, but it's midnight -
Happy Birthday, Pavan ! It's your day, and only good things will happen today !!
Old 18th June 2010, 00:15   #253
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Another twist in the story. What buick is this if i may ask ?
Its a Buick Roadmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
The way those people are behaving, he seems to be a smart chap to cut himself out of his wife's family business. I do hope this is resolved, but if not, lets hope that he is able to help out.

Ok, something positive.
I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

I actually want to complete the car and hand it over to them with lots of photoshoot, lets hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Sorry for this back-to-back post, but it's midnight -
Happy Birthday, Pavan ! It's your day, and only good things will happen today !!
Thank you very much buddy, Looks like your prayers have come true I just got a mail from them asking me to come over to collect the payment. Let me see how well it goes tomorrow.
Old 18th June 2010, 02:52   #254
Senior - BHPian

Hey Pavan, cheer up buddy

We here at t-bhp have all seen your passion for vintage cars and your quality of workmanship which is too good considering the timeframe and other contraints.

5 stars from me on this wonderful restoration.

But one thing, you have learnt your lesson so stop working for free and get paid for everything that you have invested whether its time or other tasks.

This is such a shame on part of the owner to behave in such a cheap manner and that too on 25k Rs when they are already getting it restored at such a low cost/less time.

But i think you have been taken for granted here just due to your passion and willingness to restore this beauty for free and the owner has assumed that you have padded up the costs.

But everybody here knows the pains involved in restorartion and costs involved.

so never ever agree for a free job like this and i am sure considering your passion and quality of workmanship you will get many patrons and good oppurtnities to satisfy your passion.

good luck
Old 18th June 2010, 03:24   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw splitscreen View Post
I can fully understand just how you feel
I think the guys doing the renovation are doing a great job,.The ownner needs to pay the full agreed price before you release the finished vehicle to him. Its because of people like him that prices of renovations go up,as the workers never earn there full wages and maybe inclined to add various small bits onto the totals. Good luck to the guys and hope you have the strength to keep the car until the full payment has been made to you and the workers.
Very sorry to hear what has happened to you Pavan,I tried to warn you
when i posted the above message,at least 4 weeks ago .This happens many times in this type of work,where there is generally a lot of good will.I prey you get fully paid for all your services rendered ,and hope you learn a lesson for the future. Good luck
vw splitscreen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks