Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 22:17   #91
BANNED

Some updates on the painting process.

Very little metal paste used, mostly to cover the light dinges.

Polyster patti used.

Tomorrow we are spraying Dupont 888 surfacer.
Attached Thumbnails
My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1069.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1071.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1072.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1073.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1074.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1075.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1076.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 14th April 2010, 09:51   #92
BHPian

Dupont is certainly a good paint. But it is difficult working with it.Too technical. Hardner,thinner everything in exact ratios;something our painters do not have the knowledge to understand. Above all, very very expensive. I have decided to go with Duco ordinary. Less headaches. With a clear coat, finish is as good
Old 14th April 2010, 12:41   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Dupont is certainly a good paint. But it is difficult working with it.Too technical. Hardner,thinner everything in exact ratios;something our painters do not have the knowledge to understand. Above all, very very expensive. I have decided to go with Duco ordinary. Less headaches. With a clear coat, finish is as good
Ananth Sir, I fully agree with your above experienced decision. Conventional ordinary Duco is easy to use, very economical, uncomplicated method of application and can give a very good Period finish on a Vintage or Classic car, if all the material procured is Genuine.
Old 14th April 2010, 13:20   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Some updates on the painting process.

Very little metal paste used, mostly to cover the light dinges.

Polyster patti used.

Tomorrow we are spraying Dupont 888 surfacer.
Hi did you notice the similarity between the doors and dicky lid of this car with those of an Ambassador?
I have a suggestion to use the front windshield of an Ambassador on the rear of this car as it is anyway modified. I have done that to my Amby and have a great rear view, very helpful when driving, the blind spot created by the window frame is reduced as the glass is quite large.
But maybe it is too late for that.

Cheers harit
Old 14th April 2010, 14:29   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi did you notice the similarity between the doors and dicky lid of this car with those of an Ambassador?
I have a suggestion to use the front windshield of an Ambassador on the rear of this car as it is anyway modified. I have done that to my Amby and have a great rear view, very helpful when driving, the blind spot created by the window frame is reduced as the glass is quite large.
But maybe it is too late for that.

Cheers harit
Too late sir, but that experiment is been done already, very unsucessful in it, because the rear is toooo curvy to take the amby front winshield, it fits outside the car.

So we custom made a frame upto the outer lines of the car and got a toughned glass made to the frame size.

I have used Duco on 1 car sometime back with a dupont clear coat, results are good for few months and year, the shine remains for a longer period, but the depth of color is lost within the second year.

Dupont might be a trifle pricey, but results are there on all the cars that i've painted over the years. So i shall stick to Dupont
Old 14th April 2010, 14:53   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Ananth Sir, I fully agree with your above experienced decision. Conventional ordinary Duco is easy to use, very economical, uncomplicated method of application and can give a very good Period finish on a Vintage or Classic car, if all the material procured is Genuine.
Yes, for vintage and classic car the period look can be got only with Nitrocellulose paint like Duco,Nerolac, but the painter should be a n expereinced guy.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:08   #97
BHPian

why would the owner want to do this to a classic? you should have just told him to leave the car with you and try out his silly stunts on an amby outfitted with all the bells and whistles and lights to satisfy his cravings. No offence meant to you Mr Kadam, but i think i would have blown my top if I were in your shoes . Anyways all the best.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:34   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
why would the owner want to do this to a classic? you should have just told him to leave the car with you and try out his silly stunts on an amby outfitted with all the bells and whistles and lights to satisfy his cravings. No offence meant to you Mr Kadam, but i think i would have blown my top if I were in your shoes . Anyways all the best.
Ha ha....!

My thoughts were the same when i started.

But i clipped my wings and did not want to be toooo ambitious.

I know for everyone this project seems to be a fun project, but its actually not.

To do something creative and yet retain a bit of originality, its a tough task, only time will tell the final result.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

I still feel you guys should have chopped the roof off and turned it into a convertible...now that would be a real interesting SHOW Car
Old 14th April 2010, 23:30   #100
Senior - BHPian

Chop the roof, Lower the Car, Bigger, fat tyres on the rear, Hot Rod the Californian way. Mind blowing
Old 14th April 2010, 23:44   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

(*Continuing on a LIGHTER note*)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Chop the roof, Lower the Car, Bigger, fat tyres on the rear, Hot Rod the Californian way. Mind blowing
Hey, you forgot the supercharged N2O powered engine to plonk in!
Old 15th April 2010, 01:13   #102
BHPian

Pavan, I am noticing from quite a while that these painters/body workers do metal paste work on bare metal. It is not advisable as it has no corrosion resistance properties. It should be applied over a coat of primer (synthetic/oil based, like PU/red-oxide).

The 'metal paste' name refers to the metal like hardening of the material after application & not intended to be applied over bare metal. I advise you to speak to the painters on this.

And going by your restoration spree, I guess you have a good & ample space for parking these beauties. ;-)
Old 15th April 2010, 23:05   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post
Pavan, I am noticing from quite a while that these painters/body workers do metal paste work on bare metal. It is not advisable as it has no corrosion resistance properties. It should be applied over a coat of primer (synthetic/oil based, like PU/red-oxide).

The 'metal paste' name refers to the metal like hardening of the material after application & not intended to be applied over bare metal. I advise you to speak to the painters on this.

And going by your restoration spree, I guess you have a good & ample space for parking these beauties. ;-)

1) We had put on the primer which was sanded down.
2) Metal paste work done later and again very little paste remains after sanding it down
3) Polyster putti also applied generously all over the surface, again sanded it down, only the blade marks and light dinges were covered.
4) Oil putty sprayed, again let it to harden for 24 hrs, and again sanded it down.
5) Tomorrow, we are spraying a high quality Dupont surfacer (Rs 2850/- a litre) and also spraying Dupont matte black on the car as base shade.
6) Monday will be the final spray of Dupont White (Ermine) (Rs. 4850/- per litre) and Dupont Burgandy (Rs 4900/- per litre) and over and above that 2 coats of Dupont Clear (Rs. 2900/- per litre)
7) I am buying a HVLP spray gun for the painter this time to get an even and a high gloss finish.(Cost Rs. 6750/-)

Also notice the bottom 2 inch of the body surface, the painter has coated a strip of anticorrosion polyster strip.

Painting cost is high, even the procedure involved is meticulous while handling costly paints, my painter is confident of pulling it off succesfully.

Monday is there for all to see.
Attached Thumbnails
My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1088.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1089.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1091.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1092.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-img_1093.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 16th April 2010, 00:00   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Also notice the bottom 2 inch of the body surface, the painter has coated a strip of anticorrosion polyster strip.
I must say I like the way your guys carry out the painting process, pavan!

I'd be interested in this strip, could you find out where it is available and how much for how much?
Old 19th April 2010, 16:41   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I must say I like the way your guys carry out the painting process, pavan!

I'd be interested in this strip, could you find out where it is available and how much for how much?
Well shyam, will share the secret over the phone sometime.

We sprayed the C series or the 7 series Dupont surfacer on the car yesterday. This surfacer costs Rs 3000/- per litre and no thinner needs to be added. The worst part is if you dont complete the spary within 15 mins, the complete mix becomes hard as stone.

Advantages of this surfacer.

1) Great binding properties
2) Fills in many tiny scratches on the body surface
3) Gives an even surface

After this is done, the painter will sand down few microns of the surfacer and apply Dupont Tube putty ( Rs 346/- per 200 gms)

Some updates
Attached Thumbnails
My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p190410_12.53.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p190410_12.53_01.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p190410_12.53_02.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p190410_12.54.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p190410_12.54_01.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p190410_12.54_02.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p190410_12.55.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks