Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Say what is that bright coloured line just below the doors ? Camera playing tricks - looks like a light strip !!
Probably just a reflective tape, shining because of the camera flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Also the grille and the front bumper are different.
The grille appears to be from the equivalent Wolseley version of the same car. More common. In MG guise this car is pretty rare and desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
1) This is a 1958 MG Magnette, sharing the 1500 BMC petrol engine with the Morris Oxford and the good ole Landmasters

1) Brakes- maybe all new units, complete setup from Amby
2) Suspension - resetting all the coils and installing new shockers
3) Engine - valve grinding/new plugs/plug leads/points & condesor,engine oil, and few more vital parts
4) Gearbox- Gear box oil/new clutch from amby(suits like OE) bit of work on gear box to reduce humming.
A major advantage you have here is sharing of so many parts with the Amby and Landmaster (I'm not sure that Amby and Landmaster shared the same clutch though, please confirm.) Makes life so much simpler, though you will be surprised how even Amby parts (old petrol model) are now drying up so quick - all parts available are usually inferior duplicate stuff.

All the best, keep us posted.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Agreed but not evident whether the owner is in on this restoration
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Meet Mr Beliappa, a extremely honest car enthusiasts who's grown amidst lots of cars in his life time and mostly American and British cars.

After some time he mentions" PAVAN i need to tell you something, i have one car that i got it to Bangalore 11-12 yrs ago, and now it needs restoration"
Ajmat it's indeed the owner who has asked him to do the restoration and the same has been mentioned in the 1st post which is quoted above.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice car. it is not a MG Magnette but a Wolseley 15/50 which was current between 1956 and 1958.

The MG version of this car was called the ZB and featured a different grille, bonnet opening line etc than what can be seen on this car. The main differences would be that the MG had a twin SU setup floorshift and bucket seats.

Basically both have the same engine and bodyshell with some cosmetic and performance mods and marque specific grilles to distinguish them.Power output differred on both as did performance.

The Wolseley version would have a single carb as pictured on this car. The engine is also not a sidevalve as mentioned but the regular B series OHV unit. Gear shift would be column mounted and the front seats close to each other to allow three abreast seating. Wolseley being the upmarket version would have wood door caps and maybe a leather interior.

There is also something funny about the front and rear windscreens, look like they have been replaced at some time.

Please do post pics of the car taken in sunlight and also of the interior. is there a manifacturers plate on the firewall ? what does it say.

Attached are a few representative pictures of the Wolseley and MG for comparison. Note the difference in the grille and the bonnet opening lines. Also the front bumper treatment is different on the MG and the Wolseley

I also have a scanned copy of the MG factory brochure and can post it if wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-magnette_outside_sans_fog_lights.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-800pximagewolseley_1550.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-800pxmg_magnette_za.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-800pxwolseley_four_forty_four_ca_1955_in_hertfordshire.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-magnette_getting_trim003.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-magnette_with_seats_1.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-magnette_ad_1.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2009, 11:33   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Ajmat it's indeed the owner who has asked him to do the restoration and the same has been mentioned in the 1st post which is quoted above.
my bad.. apologies!!!!
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:33   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The grille appears to be from the equivalent Wolseley version of the same car. More common. In MG guise this car is pretty rare and desirable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Nice car. it is not a MG Magnette but a Wolseley 15/50 which was current between 1956 and 1958.

The MG version of this car was called the ZB and featured a different grille, bonnet opening line etc than what can be seen on this car. The main differences would be that the MG had a twin SU setup floorshift and bucket seats.
Wasif, spot on! I too suspected that, that front grille came only on the wolseley! Anyway IMHO it looks better than the MG grille.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thats why i kept thinking why is this called a MG, even i thought the grill was from a Wolseley. amazing how all these BMC cars have interchangable parts.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:26   #22
BHPian

Good piece of sleuthing there, Wasif. If only the British 1500s were as straight-forward as the German boxers, no Pavan? Lovely car still, especially interesting in LHD guise.

Last edited by Prabal : 22nd July 2009 at 13:29. Reason: Forgot to complete sentence before posting, am losing it!
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Good piece of sleuthing there, Wasif. If only the British 1500s were as straight-forward as the German boxers, no Pavan? Lovely car still, especially interesting in LHD guise.
Thanks for the compliment dear sir. There is a similar car with Indrojit Sircar which is visible in the pics he posted recently and at the begining of the thread posted by John.
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment dear sir. There is a similar car with Indrojit Sircar which is visible in the pics he posted recently and at the begining of the thread posted by John.
Yes, had noticed it in the earlier pics on Indrojit's thread. Btw, as a child I'd sometimes confuse these cars with the Hindustan 14. In fact I'd even asked a doctor, my father's friend, who owned a 6/80 if the nose had been grafted. Then I learnt.

Last edited by Prabal : 22nd July 2009 at 15:45.
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:47   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In fact I'd even asked a doctor, my father's friend, who owned a 6/80 if the nose had been grafted. Then I learnt.
Perhaps he was a surgeon and performed a rhinoplasty.
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Perhaps he was a surgeon and performed a rhinoplasty.
Good one, Karl.Very phunny.
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Gear shift would be column mounted
Wasif, something was bothering me, so I came back to your post and then referred to some literature. Basically, the gear shift would be column mounted if it were a 4/44 (and the engine would be the older Morris unit of course). As Pavan says this is a 1958 model, so should be a 15/50 only as you've pointed out. But the 15/50 had floor shift (besides the new BMC engine of course that you've mentioned, with a single carb for the Wolseley).
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi, this car belongs to new member Americans58-65. And he must have interaction with Pavan as he wanted to get that car running.
The moment I saw the car, I recognised her as a Wolseley. Look at the badge on the grill, which is illuminated, and at the rear above the numberplate.
The MG monogram at the rear is taped on. Recently on another thread there was a later MG Magnette spotted by someone on the road in Bangalore. That car had the correct MG monogram.
There appears to be a modification to the rear screen too.
Pavan, if I may suggest, do not just plonk Amby parts in this car. Sometimes they look alike, but are indeed a bit different. And the Indian Amby parts are often made with worn out tooling, or are aftermarket products which will work accordingly.
If you have a close look at the side view, you can see a very family resemblese to our Amby, quarter window and all.
Suggest you ask American to get his Buick running too, that car will have much more presence. But do tackle one at a time.

Cheers harit
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasif, something was bothering me, so I came back to your post and then referred to some literature. Basically, the gear shift would be column mounted if it were a 4/44 (and the engine would be the older Morris unit of course). As Pavan says this is a 1958 model, so should be a 15/50 only as you've pointed out. But the 15/50 had floor shift (besides the new BMC engine of course that you've mentioned, with a single carb for the Wolseley).
Prabal i stand corrected it does indeed have the floor shifter as you pointed out it was the 4/44 that had the column shifter.
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:27   #30
BANNED

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all the inputs, and particularly about that grille, all the above write ups are of so much help to me. Thank you all again.

Will try and keep this restoration complete and upto the point.

Therefore this car is not a Magnette, going through few books on this car, i learnt that the grille is not grafted but came on few MG ZA during 1956-58, done mostly in a hurry and carelessness by the company to push imports.

I firstly intend to get this car mechanically fit and sound, before cosmetically sprucing it up

Amby parts on this car meant "only brake parts" complete brake components belongs to the Amby petrol, apart from the master cylinder . The original master cylinder doubles up as a servo unit for the clutch also on this car.

Anyways, will keep you guys posted on the restoration progress time to time.

@ Harit== Sirjee, i would love to do up his Buick roadmaster also, i have literally agreed to get his Buick running once i finish this MG, I would not miss such a chance for anything.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 22nd July 2009 at 22:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks