Any other option 9 2.33%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2014, 14:06   #121
Geo
BHPian

Re: Verna Fluidic 1.6 Vs Fiat Tjet Vs Honda City

Thanks Sommos once again.

I haven't picked the car based on sales chart. I did TD the cars I shortlisted, and I like City for my intended use.

I just mentioned the sales chart thing as a supporting argument. As I mentioned, Verna which has a 1.6 engine, and which has a number of utility features built-in is not in as much demand. Again, this might change from place to place. I found it curios and shared with the rest, that's all.

Appreciate your feedback. Any good pointer is a welcome when I am about to a buy a car
Old 10th June 2014, 14:32   #122
BHPian

HI All,

I'm starting off new discussion on the very same thread because i'm looking at buying a sedan replacing my 6 yrs old swift. Basic criteria is to have all the safety feature to max which i missed out on my swift. If it was a hatch again, i would gone for swift again.

my wishlist is :

1. safety feature.
2. comforts and good to have features.
3. 70 percent city and 30 percent highway.
4. Diesel

Cars i was looking at was

1. Honda City
test drove this car. Never drove diesel before. but noise level from engine was loud. may be i'm not used to diesel engine. Only thing holding me back is due to the fact the features offered is way less for the price it is offered.

2. Skoda Rapid
I thought of taking a chance after reading all horror stories. But somehow mind is defeating heart, no able to take a stance. limited number of service stations.

3. Vento
Same reason as above.

4. Verna
For the price, it offers almost everything which other manufacturer will probably release as facelifts in coming years. Engine is super silent, was comfortable in city during test drives. never got a chance to floor the pedal as test drive was on weekday.

Sunny n Scala not in consideration because of their service center availability.

Mind says City and heart says Verna 2014. Please help me get out this confusion. i have intention to keep this car for another 7 to 9 years unless i hit a jackpot
Old 10th June 2014, 16:29   #123
Geo
BHPian

Hi Endofdayz,

I don't want to suggest cars. Let me just try to give some pointers.

Once you have identified 3 or 4 cars as the ones you want to buy, it is easy to compare them. Never depend on somebody else's comparison or rating. Your needs are totally different from that of another person.

*Somebody who recommends car X might be a 90% highway user, and you may be a 90% city user. Or even if she is a city user, her heart goes for a car which can give her instant gratification on the highways. But the requirement could be totally different for you. Always try to figure out why people recommend a car, ie, based on which parameter are they recommending, and figure out yourself if that parameter makes sense to you.
*Your safety requirements might be totally different if you aren't planning to cross 100 kmph every time you go out there.

I would definitely pull up some online car forums and check the resale value of the cars I have shortlisted. Resale value after 1 year, 3 years and 5 years. This will give you a very good indications about the maintenance cost, reliability and their life in general. Usually the cars with lower maintenance cost and better reliability will have more resale value. This is not the typical advice for getting a car which has resale value. But the point here is, resale value of a car gives an indication about the real life use of a car by real life people. It is a market driven thing.

After all this high profile advice, I shouldn't be doing a practical advice also. But here I go, please check about the performance of Verna with local automobile experts, or second hand dealers. They will give you insights about why it "offers almost everything which other manufacturer will probably release as facelifts in coming years."

Happy hunting.
Geo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 16:45   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
HI All,

I'm starting off new discussion on the very same thread because i'm looking at buying a sedan

my wishlist is :

1. safety feature.
2. comforts and good to have features.
3. 70 percent city and 30 percent highway.
4. Diesel
The Verna is an excellent package with stunning looks and loads of features. But, I have never felt confident at high speeds in a Verna. The steering feels very light and does not inspire confidence. Please take a comprehensive test drive before taking the final decision.

Quote:
2. Skoda Rapid
I thought of taking a chance after reading all horror stories. But somehow mind is defeating heart, no able to take a stance. limited number of service stations.
Rapid is a true VFM and will be my pick of the lot. The horror stories are still there but at the same time there are lots of people in this forum who have had pleasant experience from their A.S.S. As you stay in Bangalore, check out Vinayak Skoda at Sadashiva Nagar. I had a good interaction with them when I went for the TD of Rapid.
Old 10th June 2014, 16:59   #125
BHPian

Quote:

4. Verna
For the price, it offers almost everything which other manufacturer will probably release as facelifts in coming years. Engine is super silent, was comfortable in city during test drives. never got a chance to floor the pedal as test drive was on weekday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
The Verna is an excellent package with stunning looks and loads of features. But, I have never felt confident at high speeds in a Verna. The steering feels very light and does not inspire confidence. Please take a comprehensive test drive before taking the final decision.
My vote is for Verna as the 2014 version has stiffer springs and steering, so the highway handling is taken care, though it may not be in the league of Vento/Rapid, it would sure be at par with the Honda City. Please read the test drive and ownership reports on the main Verna official review thread.
Old 10th June 2014, 17:13   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
My vote is for Verna as the 2014 version has stiffer springs and steering, so the highway handling is taken care, though it may not be in the league of Vento/Rapid, it would sure be at par with the Honda City. Please read the test drive and ownership reports on the main Verna official review thread.
thanks for these words. Yes Rapid is a VFM. i still need to take a test drive. I have taken test drive of Honda city and verna 2014. Honda engine noise is higher side than verna. When it comes to handling i felt Verna Better than city. I may be wrong, but this is truly my opinion.

my usage pattern for highway is 30% or less. Hence i need more of a city car which will be for my office use and occasional highway.

I will take test drive of both the cars in open roads and try to gauge the performance.

@voy: there are very limited number of showrooms. Sadashivnagar will be too far for me. Even the hour road showroom. this is the same reason renault, VW and nissan is out of contention.

Anyone has any launch dates for Fiesta.if its 15 to 20 days i can wait to see what is ford offering this time.

@geo. Yes you have made a valid point. But i intend to keep this car for 7 to 9 years. hence resale value will be very less of priority for me. However since you have taken up this topic, how costly is hyundai to maintain compared to City. Also how about spare parts.
Old 10th June 2014, 17:40   #127
Senior - BHPian

Endofdays, do test drive the Linea MJD as well...
Old 10th June 2014, 17:48   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Endofdays, do test drive the Linea MJD as well...
@finn: thanks for the suggestion. The question is limited number of service centers is again a point of botheration here. I had gone to their showroom to check for linea 2014. this was month and half back (Fiat Caffee in inner ring road). Till now none even bothered to followup. While i was at showroom they dint even bother to explain the features and On road price. Just gave me brochures and thats it.

Not that i had great experience with skoda and Hyundai. I think that calls for separate thread which will be created shortly after i decide on the car.

I feel i.3 MJD is little less on power. Also the Back seat space is nothing great to talk about. my parents are little bulky. hence city and verna in consideration.
Old 10th June 2014, 17:48   #129
BANNED

I personally would not go for it, but I have to say, the 2014 Verna is much improved in terms of its steering and suspension.

I would however, recommend you wait for the Maruti Ciaz, facelifted Ford Fiesta, and facelifted VW Vento
Old 10th June 2014, 17:53   #130
BHPian

Hi.

If safety is a major consideration I'd strongly advise you against the City: it has weak-ish brakes, small skinny tyres that are not of the best quality, and of course very flimsy build. The latter will also make it expensive to repair in the event of even a minor accident. Its warranty is poor too, compared to the competition. Also, as you've stated the alluminium diesel on the City is very unrefined. In sum, I believe it is very poor value, though it's a hit in the market because of the City brand, its loud styling, and of course the gizmo-s/features.

The Verna is a pretty small car for the price, and apart from the usual complaints about its ride, handling, and steering, it suffers from having a very low and narrow rear seat, a weak build, and low ground clearance.

I'd urge you to check out the new Linea: Fiat ASS and dealers in Bangalore are pretty good, all told, I hear and read. Just a great all-round car, with all bases covered, pretty much, including warranties and spare parts' prices. Resale value I guess will be no issue with you since you plan on holding on to the car for 7 years. (disclosure: I have a 2010 Linea 1.4 petrol, and have just bought the new Linea t-jet. Happy with both!)

OR: the Ford Fiesta, if Ford prices it aggressively, though it too is a small-ish car, with a cramped rear, and slightly awkward styling.

OR: the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz, with the excellent Fiat diesel, it will be roomy, well equipped, will have good interior quality, and of course trustworthy ASS.

Also: have you ruled out a C1 sedan? i believe the Tata Zest will be SOME car, Tata have and will continue to up their ASS quality game.

Just my researched opinion on this subject, since I was recently in the exact same position as you: having to decide on a C2 sedan to be held onto for 5+ years!

all the best man
Old 10th June 2014, 18:12   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I didn't mean to offend you mate or any other Verna owners. I was just offering my 2 cents.

I currently own a Figo and I feel that the handling of Figo is better than that of Verna at high speeds. The new Verna is indeed a improvement over its predecessors, (having driven both models extensively) but still not where it needs to be. The same goes for the City as well. The build is flimsy when compared with its European competitors.
Old 11th June 2014, 15:58   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
I didn't mean to offend you mate or any other Verna owners. I was just offering my 2 cents.

I currently own a Figo and I feel that the handling of Figo is better than that of Verna at high speeds. The new Verna is indeed a improvement over its predecessors, (having driven both models extensively) but still not where it needs to be. The same goes for the City as well. The build is flimsy when compared with its European competitors.
No offense taken buddy. I agree with you that Figo's handling is better. In fact, my sister bought a Figo this year because I recommended. Since EndofDayz wanted a comparo between his list of sedans, I didn't compare the handling part with other cars.
Old 11th June 2014, 19:16   #133
BHPian

Thanks all for this brainstorming session. It was indeed useful.

Current shortlists will be Verna and Linea.

However in other threads i can see Ford fiesta reaching their dealership stockyard and their Website is updated as coming soon. I feel its on June 15th.

Also i think i cant wait for ciaz from MS for so long. it will come in festive season. I cannot be without car as i have 2 month old kid. Let me wait and decide. Will keep this thread updated as i move along to help others make some choice.

At this point of time Still verna has more weightage as far as consideration goes, then new fiesta and linea.
Old 11th June 2014, 23:33   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for this brainstorming session. It was indeed useful.

Current shortlists will be Verna and Linea.

However in other threads i can see Ford fiesta reaching their dealership stockyard and their Website is updated as coming soon. I feel its on June 15th.

Also i think i cant wait for ciaz from MS for so long. it will come in festive season. I cannot be without car as i have 2 month old kid. Let me wait and decide. Will keep this thread updated as i move along to help others make some choice.

At this point of time Still verna has more weightage as far as consideration goes, then new fiesta and linea.

The last two are a different TYPE of c-segment sedan to the first one! Hope you're not comparing apples and oranges!

Enjoy the decision making, and let us know!
Old 12th June 2014, 00:38   #135
Senior - BHPian

I'd go for the Verna 1.6 , since I own one

No really , it's a great car , high on refinement , features , power and looks.

Ride quality is bouncy on the old springs ( Haven't replaced mine to the stiffer springs yet ) and steering is light, but honestly none of this matters much unless you are Lewis Hamilton and are hell bent in driving a car that handles close to a sports car.

For normal people this seriously is a very good car (minus the snob value too).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks