Verna Fludic 1.6 62 16.06%
Honda City 129 33.42%
Fiat Tjet 186 48.19%
Any other option 9 2.33%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 22:20   #166
BHPian

Mod note: Use Report Post or wait for Approval to EDIT the original post. Thanks.

Fiat linea tjet. We own the multijet at home. The interiors are of high quality and the car is solidly put together. Has a European feel to it, which is something other what the Japanese offer. Sit in them and you'll know what I mean. The city looks like it's built to a cost, and doesn't look solid at all. The jagged lines on the side only make things worse. Can't comment on the Rapid and I don't have experience.

Forgot to add, the rear bench is very comfortable in the Linea. On the contrary, five seconds in the Verna's rear bench was all it took me to not go for it. City's bench is quite good(previous version), although i'd have to say under-thigh support is really good in the Linea.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th September 2014 at 22:40.
Old 12th September 2014, 00:26   #167
Team-BHP Support

Re: C2 segment petrol sedan comparo. Under 10L

Considering its a C2 petrol comparison - my choices would have been limited to Honda City v/s Linea TJet v/s VW Vento 1.2 TSi.

3. Honda City iVTec -

I see only two positives for this car - Engine and Reliability. The iVTec can teach a lesson to many petrol engines and has a brilliant top end like none other in the segment. Oh yes- there is also an option of a sunroof which i absolutely adore!

On the flip side- I hate the City for its ride quality and handling, flimsy interior feel, the unnecessary cuts and creases that spoil the looks, the ultra light feel of the sheet metal used for the car etc. The famed reliability has to taken with a pinch of salt now, as the ownership threads are getting filled with niggles. Have been there, done that once - and even wife rejected the City for these negatives. City is out of my list.

2. VW Vento TSi -

Frankly, It would have been a close call for the TSi. A brilliant petrol motor combined to a super fast DSG box could only be fun. A nice car for the city and highways. Defenitly, someone looking at a budget of 10L will have a look at this car, so IMO its a bit unfair to have dropped it from the list from a minor price increase.

City VX MT - 9.91 ex-showroom.
Vento 1.2 TSi - 9.99 ex-showroom.
City VX CVT - 10.96 ex-showroom.

If City qualifies, Vento would qualify as well - and there are deals to be had on the Vento thanks to dealers preferring to sell Vento TSi over the Polo GT TSi.

1. FIAT Linea TJet -

For me - the only major negative for this car would be the FIAT brand image and service, something which I never had to complain about in Chennai and Bangalore.

Not elaborating on the positives, but it gets my vote as the most fun to drive car in the segment - and a close finish with the Vento 1.2 TSi in my books.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 10:22   #168
BHPian

City : - Most practical one in this list for sure. But I don’t like it as I could never connect with Honda. I feel Honda as a brand was always trying to exploit Indians on the initial good will created (which is probably right from their perspective). They never give anything unless asked

Ciaz: - There are good chances for Ciaz to give City run for its money. Ciaz is going to be the ideal car for many people.

Sunny & Scala :- I really cannot digest the fact that someone can design cars like this. Again respect the fact that these are quite practical cars offering 'lot of car' for the money you are paying.

Vento : - Gives a solid feel just by the looks of it; and with TSI engine should have been a rocking car. But the normal petrol engine is mostly uninspiring.

Rapid:- Another solid car, but never liked the head lamps which are suitable only for a hatch back. And obviously there is nothing in the engine to write home about.

Verna: - Good looking indeed, but not to my taste. I have full respect to Hyundai for bringing latest models and technology to India.

Linea T-Jet : - As a (past) Fiat owner, I always have a soft corner for Fiat cars. Though I have driven only the normal Linea, I know I will love the T-jet for its great engine and the overall European feel. I strongly feel that Fiat as a brand deserves lot more respect from Indian public. My vote is for T-jet.
Old 12th September 2014, 11:41   #169
Senior - BHPian

Im surprised to see the Ciaz in the list , the car has not been launched , we dont know the price . I think we need to give a new car atleast few months to know about few niggles.

As a 3rd Gen City owner , my vote might be inclined to the New Honda City , inspite of it having few drawbacks like few niggles and not so good build quality . 2nd Choice Vento TSI , still love the looks of the car and interior fit and finish.
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 12:29   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
... I don't think the car deserves as much attention as it gets now and the build quality is appalling to put it in mild terms. It however gives space, features and mileage that most considering this segment look for. Rather than 'being the best'; it is more of 'the best amongst the rest' It's indeed disheartening to see that we don't have an option worthy of the frivolous Honda City...
Agreed. Hopefully with the changing perceception of average buyers the auto firms will give us better products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Haven't driven any of the cars listed there. But mind says ONLY ONE name from that list. Don't think I'll even try anything else unless something is seriously bad with this one product. "After all, there's more to life than kpl"!
Let me guess. T-Jet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Voted for Skoda Rapid - Besides the obvious reason of me owning one
Do you have the petrol? If yes could you list the performance on these parameters:

1. Handling
2. Outright Performance
3. Mileage
4. A.S.S experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Im surprised to see the Ciaz in the list , the car has not been launched , we dont know the price . I think we need to give a new car atleast few months to know about few niggles.
Ofcourse it will be given time. This thread is just a general discussion thread to get a fair understanding from the forum folks & owners on petrol sedans. I know its not launched yet but will be in a month and half and we all would agree it will be one car people will give a serious thought considering its from Maruti

Last edited by SoumenD : 12th September 2014 at 12:41.
Old 12th September 2014, 13:39   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
If yes could you list the performance on these parameters:
SoumenD she is a 1.6 MPI.

1. Handling – She feels very planted. Have had a few hair raising moments but she is so sure footed that i over came these instances without breaking into a sweat.

2. Outright Performance – Although she is a little sluggish of the start and being a NA engine you have to keep the rev’s up but over all i love the peppy engine.

3. Mileage –Has been phenomenal considering it’s a 1.6 engine and the weight of just over 1.5 tons, I have been getting 12-13 kmpl city driving through our Bangalore traffic. Image - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3526512

4. A.S.S experience? Very pleasant actually. Read all about it on the following link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3499019
Old 12th September 2014, 14:15   #172
BHPian

Quote:
3. Mileage –Has been phenomenal considering it’s a 1.6 engine and the weight of just over 1.5 tons, I have been getting 12-13 kmpl city driving through our Bangalore traffic. Image - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3526512
Rapid's curb weight is actually in the range of 1200 Kgs.
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 14:22   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Rapid's curb weight is actually in the range of 1200 Kgs.
Oops my bad! You are correct! Being a larger than usual driver i guess I add another 100Kgs to that!
KevinP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 16:26   #174
Senior - BHPian

Honda City, simply because the engine is a gem and is totally worth it. I actually do not like the light build of the Honda City, but this being a petrol only choice list, I had no better option.

The i-Vtec is efficient when it has to be, and commands respect when at the right rpm at the right moment.

One point though - Ford Fiesta is no longer available with that lousy 1.5L petrol motor, so please don't vote for the new Fiesta
Old 12th September 2014, 17:13   #175
Team-BHP Support

Too bad Ford never offered the US-spec Fiesta Petrol here. The 120-BHP 1.6 VCT is a hoot to drive with the 6-speed Dual Clutch (PowerShift in Ford-speak) auto-box, esp. in S-mode.

We got the lousy 1.5P, and now no Petrol option at all.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th September 2014 at 17:15.
Old 12th September 2014, 17:19   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I have been getting 12-13 kmpl city driving through our Bangalore traffic...
Great. That's more than what we used to get in my friend's i20 and that's a 1.2L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
One point though - Ford Fiesta is no longer available with that lousy 1.5L petrol motor, so please don't vote for the new Fiesta
Yeah I mentioned it in my second post itself. While creating the thread I totally forgot it doesnt exist anymore. Now not sure how to remove it from the poll.

Last edited by SoumenD : 12th September 2014 at 17:21.
Old 15th September 2014, 10:49   #177

Re: Verna Fluidic 1.6 Vs Fiat Tjet Vs Honda City

Being a latest owner of a Tjet, my vote goes for it. Its just been a day, but already loving it.
Old 15th September 2014, 22:04   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Today I test drove Linea Tjet. [*]Driver seats felt awkward... Don't know how to explain this, but something was not right. Might get used to it
Somehow even I had that feeling, twice I pulled over to the side during the test drive to fiddle with the adjustments but somehow could not get too comfortable, the headrests are far behind and the chest is pushed in front.
This is something that you normally take for granted when you sink into some of those well designed ones, here I was forced to notice there was something amiss, also those power window switches or the IRVM, faaaar away.

Quote:
Still for the available lot was trying to find a comparison on following parameters:
1. Space - Sunny/City
2. Handling - Linea/ Vento is close
3. Outright Performance - Linea/ Vento real close
4. Mileage - City/ maybe Ciaz
5. Equipment list - City/ then Verna/ Linea is good
6. A.S.S - City/ Sunny too should be reliable / Verna
7. Looks - Vento/ Verna/ then Linea

Add Ride comfort - Linea phenomenal, followed by Vento.

To add about power, Linea may have a better top end but I found the Vento TSI+DSG brilliantly practical in everyday range.
Cant say much about Ciaz as haven't checked it in flesh.

Quote:
*Not including VENTO TSI as its 10L + ex-showroom.*
You should consider if it just goes up marginally, check if there is some work around, it'll be a sad omission else.

Quote:
Personally I find HONDA CITY iVtec as a value proposition with a decent mix of all the 7 parameters. Please share your views and reasons for the same.
True, despite its minor flaws, hard to ignore this car, just like politics (sorry extreme example), though you may not like it outright, you can't ignore discussing it or if given an opportunity, plunging in, even if you try to avoid, you are drawn to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Considering its a C2 petrol comparison - my choices would have been limited to Honda City v/s Linea TJet v/s VW Vento 1.2 TSi.
Agreed, of the options mentioned by SoumenD. Completely in Sync here.

Quote:
3. Honda City iVTec -
I see only two positives for this car - Engine and Reliability.
Add that this car is safe too, I know it defies logic when you check the car yourself with those flimsy materials all over but I guess the car's crash zones are well designed.
I realize the Thai one is about 100 kgs more but will that slight weight increase make so much difference, it could also be due to the difference in features offered.
Either ways I assume it should be safer than Vento and group as these have been around for a while.

Quote:
2. VW Vento TSi - Frankly, It would have been a close call for the TSi. A brilliant petrol motor combined to a super fast DSG box could only be fun. A nice car for the city and highways. Defenitly, someone looking at a budget of 10L will have a look at this car, so IMO its a bit unfair to have dropped it from the list from a minor price increase.

City VX MT - 9.91 ex-showroom.
Vento 1.2 TSi - 9.99 ex-showroom.
City VX CVT - 10.96 ex-showroom.

If City qualifies, Vento would qualify as well - and there are deals to be had on the Vento thanks to dealers preferring to sell Vento TSi over the Polo GT TSi.
Are you sure about deals on offer for the Vento, all that the sales guys in Goa say is: "Sir there is a waiting period, why will VW give discounts"

However if that is a possibility I vote for the Vento TSI and close this discussion, reasons are same as CrazyDriver noted, namely DSG+TSI+Classic Looks+Space+Handling+Quality. Floor that DSG and it picks the right gear, right RPM to match the speed you want, its makes you feel like in paradise, its beautiful.
(CrazyDriver must have anticipated my response, we have expressed views on similar threads earlier too.)

Quote:
1. FIAT Linea TJet -
If you don't want to stretch till Vento, then it is the Linea for me for being an amazing drive, Linea shines to prominence for multiple strengths, brilliant gearshifts and gear ratios, linear power delivery, damn good ride, splendid handling, comfortable rear bench.
But then I leave it to the ownership reports for a proper judgement on living with it, there are lots of happy owners here.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 15th September 2014 at 22:25.
Old 16th September 2014, 12:44   #179
Senior - BHPian

Okay, the reason for not considering VENTO TSi apart from ex-showroom price was its an automatic. I added honda city for the manual versions, not the CVT. But incase anyone of us wants to consider it I have a couple of questions regarding Vento TSI's performance since personally didnt get a chance to test drive it. Appreciate if anyone could answer these :

1. How's the performance compared to HONDA city? Straightline and Handling curves.

2. On paper the power seems more in the HONDA but the torque in TSI is more. How's the real world result?

3. I hear everyone say the DSG reliablity is questionable, but did anyone face any real issue till now in the indian POLO/Vento equipped with the DSG?
Old 16th September 2014, 14:48   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
3. I hear everyone say the DSG reliablity is questionable, but did anyone face any real issue till now in the indian POLO/Vento equipped with the DSG?
DSG (the 7-speed DQ200) is still not confidence inspiring (that'll take time after years of reported failures), but issue reports seem to have gone down after the last official advisory to switch transmission lubricant to mineral oil. Synthetic oil was reportedly causing electrical issues with DSG, or at least that's what VAG says was happening. Someone who's owned a Vento/Polo DSG for a reasonable time period can give you first-hand feedback.

About your second point, the DSG is far more drive-able for obvious reasons, even though the City has more power on paper. Unless you're a 'manual' fanatic who just can't do without a clutch pedal, the DSG is an excellent choice and fun-to-drive too. The i-VTEC is more fun at the top-end, but the fun is limited to spirited driving as against the DSG which is fun even in the practical everyday range, as mentioned by someone above.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th September 2014 at 14:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks