Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 19:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustDevil View Post
@sfk: I don't know about the price man but if it suits you, go for the car! You'll not regret it.
My dad drives an RS too and it has run 1.32 Lakh KMs without any major glitches. The biggest problem he has had to face till now, was just the choking of an injector which caused the car to stall sometimes.
The only downside is that most Skoda dealers around here are jerks (can't say the same about chennai though!)
And guess what... with controlled(and I realy mean it) driving he consistently manages around 16-17 kmpl on a tankfull.
nice mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
As many have told here, it looks like a good deal. Can't compare with Mumbai prices though. Get it checked. Be careful on the Skoda service.

If i were you, i would stick to the SFX (keep the beauty), spend a cool 2 laks and get a proper turbo on it. (It is not staright forward as you buy an RS). There is a rollercoster of emotions!! Will beat the RS anyway. Mistu service, bah, you can DIY. Will not spend more on an unknown car.
Safer on one's pocket too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. Regarding the wheels(sorry it was'nt BBS got it mixed up) they were ADVANTIS. Spoke to the personnel today and bargained hard. Will get a reply soon. But a small glitch here is that I need to sell my lancer to fund the RS and I dont know how long that is going to take. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Hope you know Skoda parts are costly and hope you have a good A.S.S guy around.
Old 29th June 2008, 01:55   #17
BHPian

redsfx
good buy for the price and mileage.not able to find low mileage skoda's.go for the kill ma friend.incase u need help selling of your lancer post details man.incase u dropping the idea of the rs,then pass on details to fellow t-bhpians.many sure would be interested(hint)..
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Things to check for in a used RS

When evaluating a used RS, what are the main things one should check for? There is a generic checklist that people follow while looking at used cars, but I'd like to know if there are any factors specific to the RS that should be checked?
Would appreciate inputs from anyone who has owned/bought/is familiar with the RS.

Also, do these checks have to be performed at Skoda A.S.S? And if so, how much would they charge?
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

The RS is purely a buyer's market.
Reason: They manage to give about 6kmpl. If you think you can manage that and the infamous Skoda spares cost, go for it after a thorough check up.
Good luck.
PS: What colour is this car?
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Reason: They manage to give about 6kmpl. If you think you can manage that and the infamous Skoda spares cost, go for it after a thorough check up.
Good luck.
Yea, I know about the FE and A.S.S issues, though the people I have spoken to have managed 8+ in the city.

My query was on the "thorough check up" - what are the main pain points or factors I need to check for in an RS?

Colour: Still looking for options, though I know of one in red.
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:05   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good luck.
That is a an overstatement. If you are stuck in traffic, idling yes, but I get around 8 in town and 10 on a good day when traffic flows
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
When evaluating a used RS, what are the main things one should check for? There is a generic checklist that people follow while looking at used cars, but I'd like to know if there are any factors specific to the RS that should be checked?
Would appreciate inputs from anyone who has owned/bought/is familiar with the RS.

Also, do these checks have to be performed at Skoda A.S.S? And if so, how much would they charge?

Here's my two bit specific to a rs .. Its imp to know what mileage the car has done has done for eg if its done over 50 K you might want to check if the timing belt etc has been changed , cause that could cost you upto between 30 to 40 k approx ( am not too sure of the figure but I am told its around that range)

You might also want to check if the brake pads have been changed , they normally require changing at around 30 - 35 thousand Kms. If driven sedately )

Tyres for the car cost a bomb as well budget a min of 7k each incase they need to be changed.

Make sure all electricals are in working order.. Hope this helps
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:18   #23
BHPian

I think you are getting a great deal and if a performer like that can return 16-17kmpl on diesel i would sell the house and live in the RS instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
At the first read, I missed the 'tankfull' part and was like.
Well how does it affect the mileage anyway?

Does the extra weight of a tankful of fuel do some thing?
I am confused...

OOPS i posted twice. Bad internet connection. Is there any way to delete this......

Last edited by motorheadinc : 22nd July 2008 at 19:21.
Old 22nd July 2008, 20:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good luck.
Most RS owners that i have spoken to dont seem to have a problem with their mileage. also, its very difficult to get an RS considering its a 'buyers' market
Old 22nd July 2008, 22:33   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@redsfx :

At the first read, I missed the 'tankfull' part and was like.
What is the significance of the 'tankfull'?
Old 23rd July 2008, 00:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Also, make sure that the car is a clean, non-accidental piece & that all services have been performed on time at the official centre. In short it should be a squeaky clean car with a complete service history.

Remember, problems can be expensive to fix in this car so think 5 times before taking a decision.
Old 23rd July 2008, 08:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Gurudev motors seem to be pretty competent folks - when it comes to service. check on the service history.

Also - if you can manage it, get the car checked - shocks, steering, fluid levels, oil leaks, turbo, electricals etc.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Gurudev motors seem to be pretty competent folks - when it comes to service. check on the service history.

Also - if you can manage it, get the car checked - shocks, steering, fluid levels, oil leaks, turbo, electricals etc.
Am guessing Gurudev motors isn't in Kolkata

From what I gather, I need to check:
- Service history, to make sure car has been regularly maintained at authorized workshops.
- Brakes (discs, pads). How does one check the ABS/EBD?
- Turbo: How is this checked?
- Check for leaks as in all used cars
- Steering & Suspension: Apart from driving impressions and sounds, how do I check this? Uneven wear on tyres could probably be an indicator of some suspension problem.
- Electricals and RS-specific gizmos: Make sure everything is working, including the rain sensing wipers, electric sunroof, headlamp washers.
- Xenons: any way of checking these?
- I guess a vag com scan should be done to check the overall health, right?

These are, of course, in addition to the usual checks one performs while looking at used cars.
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc
If a performer like that can return 16-17kmpl on diesel i would sell the house and live in the RS instead....
Now where did the diesel come into the picture from ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc
Well how does it affect the mileage anyway? Does the extra weight of a tankful of fuel do some thing? I am confused...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
What is the significance of the 'tankfull'?
When dustDevil (in his quote below) mentioned an FE of 16-17kmpl with a smiley at the end, I thought he was jokingly exaggerating about the legendary low FE of the RS and saying that it gives 17kms for a full tank of petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustDevil
with controlled(and I realy mean it) driving he consistently manages around 16-17 kmpl on a tankfull.
Even with driving on the Pune/Surat highways, there is no way IMO the RS can return 16-17 kmpl, however controlled the driving is. And anyway on highways with a clear road in front of you, how controlled can a person be when he is behind the wheel of a car like the RS ?
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Am guessing Gurudev motors isn't in Kolkata

From what I gather, I need to check:
- Service history, to make sure car has been regularly maintained at authorized workshops.
- Brakes (discs, pads). How does one check the ABS/EBD?
- Turbo: How is this checked?
- Check for leaks as in all used cars
- Steering & Suspension: Apart from driving impressions and sounds, how do I check this? Uneven wear on tyres could probably be an indicator of some suspension problem.
- Electricals and RS-specific gizmos: Make sure everything is working, including the rain sensing wipers, electric sunroof, headlamp washers.
- Xenons: any way of checking these?
- I guess a vag com scan should be done to check the overall health, right?

These are, of course, in addition to the usual checks one performs while looking at used cars.

Seems you have been bitten by the RS bug , so are you getting rid of your Lancer ? I can almost see the writing on the wall - Phoenix II on the anvil !!!!!!!

Cheers & Happy Hunting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks