Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still get newspapers delivered at home?
Yes, and I read it everyday 384 63.47%
Yes, but I don't bother reading it 89 14.71%
No. Internet is my news source. 132 21.82%
Voters: 605. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2018, 16:18   #91

Re: Do you still get newspapers delivered at home?

i do get newspaper at home and read it every day, the time spent is very little on weekdays ( < 15 mts) and more with Sunday Edition.

The case with Hindu is that it lost its neutrality a long time ago which has made many Chennai folks ( the traditional base) move away from the paper.

This is despite the fact that they provide the best coverage for the art and culture scene
Old 11th July 2018, 16:44   #92
BHPian

Voted YES

I read three vernacular and one English (Finance focused) newspaper. I read mix of epaper and printed version. The only thing that has changed over the years is my trust in what I read in these papers. I try to stay safe by doing my own research on topics that interest me.
Old 11th July 2018, 17:00   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalgudi View Post
i do get newspaper at home and read it every day, the time spent is very little on weekdays ( < 15 mts) and more with Sunday Edition.

The case with Hindu is that it lost its neutrality a long time ago which has made many Chennai folks ( the traditional base) move away from the paper.

This is despite the fact that they provide the best coverage for the art and culture scene
Totally agree on the neutrality part. The Hindu lost its way wrt neutrality and many folks stopped buying because of that. We stopped buying it for the same reason.

Nowadays all news is available in social media.
Old 11th July 2018, 17:15   #94
BHPian

Since every inconsequential news has become breaking news, sensational, outright fake and news outlets becoming lapdogs of politicians and political leaders, I have stopped watching news and only get news online only if any actual news breaks. Otherwise its the old way of Deccan Herald in the morning with Coffee or Tea. A day old news, just read to know about it. No instant reaction and no tension.

Last edited by AJITHAAA : 11th July 2018 at 17:17.
Old 11th July 2018, 17:33   #95
BHPian

YES!

How do you guys drink morning coffee then?

Jokes apart, Myself and my sister was introduced into world of newspapers by my late dad from very young age. He used to sit in the front porch and read news papers while drinking coffee. He never pushed us to read but he used to read it to us and show pictures after reading some of the daily news. I am talking about early 90's. Slowly he turned us into paper-worms without us even realizing. I can still remember my mom shouting from kitchen to stop reading and get ready for school. We had a 20 minutes Quota every day.

Another point worth mentioning is that I am from Kerala. Recently I read some survey about morning news paper readership across the nation. National average is about 16%. Just 16% of Indian people read morning news paper. Can you guess what's Kerala State percentage? It's a staggering 64%. Back home, the news paper guy who delivers it to our home has been doing it for more than 30 years and we know him personally as well. There is that connect as well.

Nothing beats the morning filter coffee in one hand and news paper in the other. I am feeling I should start this soon with my Son as well although 1.5 years seems to be too soon. What say?
Old 11th July 2018, 17:57   #96
mxx
BHPian

Ofcourse I do. Like many people here, newspaper with coffee for around 15 mins is a morning ritual. The day is just not right without it. And on Sundays, it is around 30 mins, reading all the editorials.

However, after that, I mostly keep updated with online news, mostly start from google news.
Old 11th July 2018, 18:01   #97
BHPian

Stopped about 1.5 years back. Used to get 3 papers about 2 years back. Stopped 2 and tried having just 1 but then stopped that as well.
Old 11th July 2018, 18:39   #98
BHPian

Yes, I enjoy reading newspaper.

I subscribe to The Indian Express, I enjoy mostly the subtlety with which they can put-forth their agenda when compared to either the TV or the Internet. I call it subtle as nothing is on the face types and a person with patience and good vocabulary (especially reading columns in The Hindu) will appreciate the message. The others could only gaze through the headlines or move on to page 3 news.

No shouting, no drama as it happens in debates shown on the TV channels. Most of them are biased or bought-out, but you have the option to pick what to read and When to read with No pop-ups, no long Ad breaks.
Old 11th July 2018, 19:06   #99
BHPian

My day is not complete if I haven't read the newspaper, there are times when due to some commitments I have read it in the evening or even the next day, but I do like to get the news from the newspaper.

Well, I am a sailor, and I do miss the newspaper while I am on-board but in port we do try to get a few local ones. There is a hell lot of difference in the content of e.g. an Indian and a Japanese newspaper but there are some similarities like a daily dose of crossword, sudoku, cartoons etc.

I simply love to solve the sudoku and finding the difference between two images (Daily Mirror). TOI, HT and Navbharat times (Hindi) is what we get regularly at home.
Cheers
Old 11th July 2018, 19:15   #100
BHPian

The regional news papers make some sense, since they cover news related to the city you live, in far more detail than any internet source does. So my parents in Pune still stick to the Marathi news paper subscription and I scan through whenever I am home.

Other than that I rely on the internet for the news.

Another issue is, most news papers are as politically biased (to either party) as the news channels, so it is annoying to read news with so obvious inclinations. Especially the quality of editorials have gone down from bad to cringeworthy. In Pune a certain newspaper used to be a staple for 80% middle class homes, no longer the case, losing subscription to the vastly better MaTa (IMO) and other.

Having said that, the big issue with internet news is the authenticity of the same. So my policy is to read it with a pinch of salt, be it paper or digital.
Old 11th July 2018, 19:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

Firstly - very, very nice to see that more than 60% of you still buy newspapers! When in India, I used to regularly buy (and always have bought only) The Hindu. My dad used to and still buys The Hindu. I remember him getting it shipped even when we were in Nigeria. A good newspaper with good reporting. Sad to see that they are unable to sustain themselves - especially being unable to compete with the Toiletpaper of India - that rag that has only advertisements. I don't remember seeing any news in that "news"paper.

After moving here, I did get the NYT (physical) for a few months. But it is too costly and I didn't like their coverage. Then I moved to a local newspaper (physical) just on Sundays. It is a pretty good newspaper. But I have finally moved to stopping it altogether. I try and catch up on news with the PressReader app - it is free using a library card for a month. Will then decide what way to go. But for now, yes, no physical newspaper for me - all internet.

I used to get my news on Twitter but I have managed to wean myself off it. Just disgusting negative stuff all the time. I have decided to be in my own cocoon and not read about the world and it's problems.
Old 11th July 2018, 20:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

Intriguing thread this. Glad the question was asked. I know that whenever I'm home I still read the papers over breakfast after my dad is done with them. It's a good old fashioned habit that I'm glad to have picked up from my gran. Normally though I have a routine of my own in how I go through certain sites to get up to speed on issues before I leave for work.

For those with an interest in what is an industry that is no doubt dying in the sense that we've always known to exisit, or at the very least having to change drastically, here's a piece I recommend reading. It's about something that's almost come up as a consequence of the Trump era and that is the fact that the world has been treated to a rather old fashioned newspaper war by two esteemed labels. On one hand you have the mighty New York Times with huge breadth of coverage over many spheres and single family ownership and on the other you have the Washington Post (headed by Marty Baron, formerly of the Boston Globe for anyone who has seen Spotlight the movie - Liev Schriber's character) bankrolled by the richest man in the world, Jeff Bezos.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017...t-donald-trump

In fact there's just been a series I've started watching on BBC here covering this. For anyone keen to get an insider peak of journalists really having to work to earn their keep in a climate that has turned hostile against them, it's fascinating to watch.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b8lfhc (perhaps use a VPN for this)

Coming back to the OP, I do worry about seeing long esteemed names potentially disappearing. It's very difficult to adapt so rapidly for many deeply entrenched older institutions. It also doesn't help that those around us are fostering an environment where expertise is to be frowned upon, information is to be summarily discounted. I had a go at my dad when he was showing me some "news story" he had been forwarded on whatsapp. I chided him for not knowing better. How that was an example of the proliferation of dubious news that is enabled by social media and the fact that for a great many people not just in India but even in the UK and I'd argue globally, are simply unaware of the things to look out for to ensure their source of information is accreditable in some way. Perhaps I've gone off on a tangent but it's something I feel strongly about and I think the only way to get on top of it is if at an early age children can be conditioned to know what signs to look out for and to develop the habit of viewing a particular event through multiple spectrums and Then taking the time to form their own take on the manner.
Old 11th July 2018, 21:02   #103
Senior - BHPian

The first thing I do when I get up, is to go to main door and pickup my newspaper.

Yes I do read it everyday in my favorite place - The Toilet.
I am so used to reading newspaper in toilet, that I can read one in an Indian toilet as well.
Old 11th July 2018, 21:45   #104
BHPian

Till 2012 when I was in Mumbai I used to go to office in the company bus and return by local train. So morning it was TOI and Mumbai Mirror. On return it was Mid-day. Sundays in addition to the above I had Hindustan Times as well. Used to spend around 2 hrs on Sunday reading.
Once shifted to Chennai my commute to office was by scooter, so never managed to get time for reading. Still I get Hindu at home and read it sometimes. Much better than the online stuff.
Old 11th July 2018, 21:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

I have stopped newspaper couple of years back. Recently, also stopped all TV news channels. Mostly using Internet these days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks