Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 21:23   #91
BHPian

How is the scene this year? Has anyone filed?
Is there any consultant willing to do it?
Old 20th July 2010, 16:56   #92
BHPian

I have a query.

I had filed for H1B this year and since applying and today my passport has been reissued due to change in personal particulars ( new passport no. is given now). Will I need to make any amendment to my petition before appearing at the consulate for the visa interview OR no change is required. Has anyone faced a similar situation then please let me know.
Old 20th July 2010, 17:34   #93
Team-BHP Support

Just carry both your passports (new and old), that will do.
Old 20th July 2010, 17:42   #94
Senior - BHPian

How long does this process usually take ?I have know of people who applied in April 2010 and their online status still shows "initial review "

Any gyaan for experts?
Old 20th July 2010, 20:28   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just carry both your passports (new and old), that will do.
thanks for the info, hope that reply was to my query if I am not mistaken.
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:06   #96
BHPian

I have a valid F1 Visa till AUG 2011,and i have applied for H1B from my employer now will i be eligible for one?
Old 14th August 2010, 07:40   #97
UKR
BHPian

I am an IT professional and have been looking for to move in to the US or some other country like Canada, Australia, Singapore or some country in Europe. I had been to the US on an L1 visa previously but for three months only. Also been to the UK for 3 months as well. What impressed me apart from the obvious money aspect was the quality of life we could have there.

I was trying to find out some consultants who would help me get an H1 visa, but there has been lot of bad news on the H1 visa front including the recent fee hike. I think getting into the US has become too difficult.

Are there any consultants who would help getting an H1 visa? Also what are the formalities needed to get a job in the other countries that I have mentioned? Any one knowing about this could you be kind enough to share the info?
Old 15th March 2011, 20:15   #98
joe
BHPian

Re: H1B visa -Your Experience

Hi is anyone filing for H1B this year? and any info on the job market in the US?
Thanks
Old 15th March 2011, 20:48   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Hi is anyone filing for H1B this year? and any info on the job market in the US?
Thanks
Job market is slowly getting back to normal. But getting an H1-B visa is not easy these days. It gets even more harder if the applicant is outside the US.
Old 16th March 2011, 08:28   #100
joe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Job market is slowly getting back to normal. But getting an H1-B visa is not easy these days. It gets even more harder if the applicant is outside the US.
Airbender i appreciate the quick reply but has there been rule changes from the previous years? Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 18:48   #101
BHPian

Guys. My H1B petition was approved Oct last year and I have now applied for the visa stamping. Somehow the consulate at Mumbai has been delaying the interview appointment for last few weeks. I have an assignment which requires me to be in US in mid Oct. Hope the stamping gets done by then..

Few queries:

1. How easy is it to switch jobs when in US on a H1?
2. Wont our Indian employer declare us as absconding? Does it matters a lot?
3. How much money can be expected from a H1 transfer? My current employer would be paying just around 5K per month before tax.
4. Is that amount enough for living decently with a family (wife+3 yrs kid) in NJ?
Old 1st October 2011, 03:42   #102
BHPian

Few queries:

It is easy as long as you can find another employer who is willing to get your H1 transferred. All I can say is that it is a bit easier to find a employer who is willing to transfer H1 rather than sponsoring a new H1.

It doesn't matter. But get out of the Indian company as clean as possible. All they need is your payslips / paystubs for the recent 3 months.

3. How much money can be expected from a H1 transfer? My current employer would be paying just around 5K per month before tax.
H1 transfer is like finding a new job. You should get pretty much the same or more depending on your negotiation.

4. Is that amount enough for living decently with a family (wife+3 yrs kid) in NJ?
After taxes, in NJ you can expect to get about ~$3900 in hand.
A decent living is definitely possible.
apartment rent - 1000 - 1400
utilities (electric, water, gas, garbage etc.) - 300
cable tv - 100
phone - 100
groceries - 300 - 400
entertainment - 200
car + insurance which I think you will need.

Hope this helps.
coolfyre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 04:59   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Guys. My H1B petition was approved Oct last year and I have now applied for the visa stamping. Somehow the consulate at Mumbai has been delaying the interview appointment for last few weeks. I have an assignment which requires me to be in US in mid Oct. Hope the stamping gets done by then..

Few queries:

To answer your 1st question, it depends on what type of job you are seeking. In the US there are consulting and full time opportunities. Consulting are typically desi run and there are lots of people who will be ready to sponsor your visa, these will be usually short term kinda off projects( there are long terms also) but the visibility will be often 3-4months only. And you may be required to travel in case your employer doesn't get a project in your current place. Depends consultant to consultant on paying you Bench salary, some do, some pay less than what you get when in project. Again depending on your job profile you will get good pay, for eg Hyperion roles are well paid compared to .net or java profiles.
Based on your experience and technology, you can ask for pay, usually 15-20% hike is considered very good, considering the other aspects where you can demand like joining bonus, 401k, vacations etc.
The other type is full time which is direct employment, there are lots of companies that sponsor H1b, so you need to research on which company works on your technology and keep applying.
If getting Green card is your objective, most of the companies apply for GC with 1 year of employment, and consulting companies may apply sooner but you may have to bear the fees.

Dice.com is predominantly used for job search and you get tons of openings. I suggest you can go thru this site to get a fair idea bout various companies and technology which is running hot.

You can PM me for more details if you need with your job hunt.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 14:08   #104
BHPian

Thanks for your replies! Got a good insight..

Is it advisable to get my family along or call them after some time, so that I can get a good place to stay and settle down a bit?

I would not be looking forward for job change immediately, lets see how it goes.
Old 1st October 2011, 22:54   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Thanks for your replies! Got a good insight..

Is it advisable to get my family along or call them after some time, so that I can get a good place to stay and settle down a bit?
It should be fine to get your family along.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks