Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 00:52   #31
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Am i the only one who thinks, reversing horns should be made a REQUIREMENT! ?
Yes!...
I'd say... if its a vehicle like.. a TATA safari or scorpio... you probably need that.... but.. the normal horn should also acomplish the same.

BUT if one has a zen.. wagonR... I mean come on. If one can't reverse those..... he doesn't deserve a license!
Old 20th April 2007, 00:57   #32
BHPian

i have copy, pasted the article below as one click on that link (with IE) pops up 5 junk windows, i hate pop up ads, same goes for any kind of reversing beep or music. if you dont see a truck backing up you deserve to get hit.
"MUMBAI: The nerve-jarring sound that most cars nowadays make when they are in reverse gear is illegal and should actually be punished with a Rs-500 fine.

But only 1225 people this year and a total of 8790 in 2006 were fined for illegal horns. This, perhaps, explains why reverse-horns have now become fairly ubiquitous in a city that is growing shriller by the day.

Reverse-horns, however, are not the only noisy menace that the law seeks to target although Mumbai Police does not sub-categorise offences involving car horns.

"The figures include people who have been fined for using different kinds of horns that are illegal (pressure-horns, continuous horns, musical horns and, of course, reverse-horns)," a senior traffic police official said.

Anti-noise pollution activist Sudhir Badami says reverse-horns are a banned item primarily because, unlike ordinary horns, they make a continuous — and loud — noise. "If at all one needs to warn people or animals behind a vehicle, it could be done with a low-volume tick-tick sound," he offers.

Many in the city are angry with the half-hearted job that the traffic wing of Mumbai Police has done so far.

South Mumbai businessman Ebrahim F Patanwala has been fighting a long-drawn battle to motivate the traffic police to implement the law on reverse-horns.

"An assistant commissioner of police wrote to me after I complained that they acted on only 5509 cases till end-August last year. Even if just 50 traffic officers catch 10 offenders every hour, the total will be 4000 cases in an eight-hour day," he says.

The worst offenders, says Patanwala, are those who reverse their cars in the middle of the night and disturb entire neighbourhoods.

"Some people are installing noisy turn-signals that are activated when the car turns," he adds.

But Patanwala is hopeful despite the apparent indifference of the Mumbai Police's traffic wing. All that the force needs to do is to publicise the fact that reverse-horns are illegal and that they should be removed and that violations of the law will be fined strictly, he offers.

Traffic police officials say they have requested the state government and the Central government to ban the manufacture of musical horns and reverse-horns. "But there has been no response from the Centre till date," a senior official says.

"Our primary job is to monitor and regulate traffic. Fining errant persons is our secondary job and, with our limited staff and resources, it is not always possible to catch those who use reverse-horns and make a cacophony," he adds, admitting candidly there is very little knowledge in the public domain about the unlawfulness of reverse-horns. "We have issued booklets and are making them available to the public," the official says. "But I agree that it is not enough and we need to do more because the serious nature of the issue."
Old 20th April 2007, 00:58   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
BUT if one has a zen.. wagonR... I mean come on. If one can't reverse those..... he doesn't deserve a license!
Its more about making people aware of your presence and intent to reverse.

For example in a compound if a car comes in and stops, and there are kids playing and running around (quite a common scenario), it just serves as a warning that the car is now gonna go backwards and not forwards (as you would expect). Ofcourse, there are reversing lights too, but in the daytime, and if you arent paying attention they fail to draw your attention like an audible warning.

cya
R
Old 20th April 2007, 01:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan, isn't it a law in the States that all trucks need to have that beep-beep backing up alarm, or something like that? You're right, we need something similar here. Just not Kal Ho Na Ho or the Airbloodytel theme at 3 am.
Old 20th April 2007, 02:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Rehaan, isn't it a law in the States that all trucks need to have that beep-beep backing up alarm, or something like that? You're right, we need something similar here. Just not Kal Ho Na Ho or the Airbloodytel theme at 3 am.
in fact even in india L&T religiously follows it for all their construction vehicles (beep beep only). it feels genuine and serves it's purpose too.

but the dhik chak dhik chak.........
Old 20th April 2007, 03:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Its more about making people aware of your presence and intent to reverse.

For example in a compound if a car comes in and stops, and there are kids playing and running around (quite a common scenario), it just serves as a warning that the car is now gonna go backwards and not forwards (as you would expect).
I have a better device for alerting people that I'm moving my car - It's called a Free-Flow Exhaust
Old 20th April 2007, 06:09   #37
BHPian

I think the day is not far when we would need a law for everything in India.

Sorry for digressing but did anybody read the new judgement by the court
"Wife can stay with her lover, even without a divorce" LOL!!!
Old 20th April 2007, 07:40   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Actually yes. I am reminded of this every monday morning at 430am when the garbage truck comes by.
And yes, even though its irritating its nowhere near as bad as the airtel tune, just wish it was a little softer though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I have a better device for alerting people that I'm moving my car - It's called a Free-Flow Exhaust
I have a habit of revving my car a lot when reversing, precisely for this reason...even though i dont have a free flow (or a reversing horn).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th April 2007 at 07:41.
Old 20th April 2007, 09:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I did read .... what are we all missing?
This is from the 2nd para of that news item
Quote:
But only 1225 people this year and a total of 8790 in 2006 were fined for illegal horns. This, perhaps, explains why reverse-horns have now become fairly ubiquitous in a city that is growing shriller by the day.
shows that this is not a new rule, still people are saying yippy yay yay as if something new has been enacted.
Old 22nd April 2007, 18:59   #40
BHPian

Boring reverse horns are not allowed. Yeah............
Old 12th June 2007, 15:14   #41
BHPian

I completely fail to understand the sentiment behind the ruling and bphian responses.

The fact is that an audible reverse signal is a safety-conscious device that is fitted standard in certain vehicles in the West.

How else is one to alert people that there is a reversing car in the vicinity? By honking the normal horn? Continuously, while also trying to reverse? Will that reduce noise pollution?

I can understand that some reverse horns might be too loud, but then only loud or shrill reverse horns should be banned, just like loud forward horns.

As for having an off switch for midnight, yes, that would be best. But don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Old 15th June 2007, 12:40   #42
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
As for having an off switch for midnight, yes, that would be best. But don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Nope, not the off switch. One should have an on switch, for use whenever one NEEDs, that too for drivers who can't see whats behind them.... i.e. HUGE cars.
Old 15th June 2007, 12:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ohh such a relief.

btw who invented those horns, he/she might be one frustuated character
Old 21st March 2008, 16:03   #44
BANNED

No reverse honking in Mumbai, please!

Mumbai's Traffic Police has warned that reversing your car is all right but you just can't make a noise about it. After their massive crackdown on drunken driving, the cops are blowing the whistle on reverse horns.

Just see the details good move by Mumbai police
NDTV.com: No honking in Mumbai, please!
Old 21st March 2008, 18:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

A good thing. Really hate those reversing horns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks