Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 22:03   #256
BANNED

Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
After I kept mum for 2 days and not calling them, the skoda dealer I had TD'ed with, called me some time ago, and I told him, I am waiting for the Duster launch, and only then will take a decision. And guess what, he is now offering 2.85 lacs discount on the elegance variant (I had only asked for 2.5 lacs discount initially, of which they had offered 2 lacs). It seems they are very desperate to clear their inventory. OTR 17.5 lacs including 4 years extended warranty/Skoda Shield. I am in tango -to take the plunge or wait for the Duster launch. :(
At this price, I would not think twice if the Yeti fitted my requirement.
It is simply an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G offer.

There is simply no comparison between the Yeti and the Duster, on any count. If similar numbers attract you towards the Duster, it is like saying that since Shahrukh Khan has the same number of organs as I have, we are the same.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 22:43   #257
Senior - BHPian

The following video made me surprised at the Yeti's capability:

Would it be possible for the Laura to handle rough stretches? What's the use of traction control and Electronic differential lock in a two wheel drive?
Old 14th June 2012, 22:55   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
The following video made me surprised at the Yeti's capability: Skoda Yeti goes offroad - YouTube

Would it be possible for the Laura to handle rough stretches? What's the use of traction control and Electronic differential lock in a two wheel drive?
Traction control can help you a lot on wet surfaces when you are higher speeds.EDL is an excellent safety control feature, which can help you a lot in tandem with the ASR, ABS, TCS etc in slippery situations or when you are in a waterlogged area, or when there is loose mud or gravel on the road or if you are driving up a grassy track in the monsoons which can cause your car to aquaplane etc. Suffice it to say that having these features in a 2WD as well as 4WD are great.
The Laura given its tough build and rough road package can pretty much go anywhere you want, within reason. The question is would you want to take a 22 or 23 lac car to such roads and no road areas? Indeed most 2WD vehicles can go all over the place. You dont absolutely need 4WD. In India , given normal use case conditions, it is more of a nice to have than a must have.
Old 15th June 2012, 06:51   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The question is would you want to take a 22 or 23 lac car to such roads and no road areas? Indeed most 2WD vehicles can go all over the place. You dont absolutely need 4WD. In India , given normal use case conditions, it is more of a nice to have than a must have.
The same applies to a fortuner and LC; would you want to take your expensive vehicle to such conditions? You're more than likely to come out with some scratches/scrapes resulting in expensive repair.
Old 15th June 2012, 07:27   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The same applies to a fortuner and LC; would you want to take your expensive vehicle to such conditions? You're more than likely to come out with some scratches/scrapes resulting in expensive repair.
Perhaps, but I would be more at ease in such surroundings with a 4WD and I do indeed take the Yeti to odd places like that, just the way I used to take my old Scorpio 2WD to odd places. Now the Scorpio is doing work horse duty on a coffee estate despite its 2WD avatar.

Ultimately it boils down to what you are comfy with and what sort of lifestyle you lead. I personally am absolutely sure of what I need/ want and hence have made my decision and executed the same.
In your case, I think you first need to define what you are looking for, based on the need/ want state. Be dispassionate and do this exercise first.
This looks like its going to go on for a bit with no immediate resolution in sight so I shall leave you now to mull over what we we've all said, to help you in your buying decision.
Cheerio.
Old 15th June 2012, 09:27   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The following video made me surprised at the Yeti's capability: Skoda Yeti goes offroad - YouTube

Hi Nitin,

Having both a Laura (since Mar 2012) and a Yeti (since Dec 2010), I can tell you confidently that a Laura cannot go where a Yeti can! So far I have taken my Yeti on Sandy stretches, muddy villages and a little bit of off roading in the Aravali hills. Some of the Yeti's difference which make it more capable than the Laura for such places:
1) Yeti has a Tauter suspension with much longer travel
2) Higher GC - even though then GC on paper is 180 mm, but the Yeti actually had good ground clearing abilities due to a shorter wheelbase (compared to other SUVs with longer wheelbase)
3) Short overhangs and decent approach / breakover and departure angles - all these are vital for any SUV, and sedans because of their longer overhangs (length of protrusion in front of front axle / behind rear axle) are longer and this limits their offroad ability.
4) 4x4 capabilities. A Yeti with 4x4 will keep moving even if it has grip on even one wheel, while the Laura will get stuck as soon as one wheel gets free from the driven axle. In the Laura L&K with EDL, it may still be able to move out by braking the slipping wheel and transferring traction to the other wheel, but this is only on the driven axle and not on the other axle, so it is only partially effective.
5) If you are keen for the Elegance variant of the Yeti, it also has the Offroad button which tweaks all the onboard systems for better offroad performance and things like Hill Descent control and requires less expertise from a driver in offroad conditions than any other SUV would require.
6) Other features like Hill-Hold control are also very useful - as it prevents rollback for 3 seconds when you are going uphill and have to stop in between and then go up again - this is very usefull in even mall parking ramps as it prevents rollback. It is also extremely useful in hilly terrain driving and you don't need to worry at all!

The Yeti and the Laura have different characters:
The Yeti is the angry growly beast with more noise and a wilder disposition and a gearbox tuned for adventure and for people are young at heart and want to explore the countryside/ mountains!
The Laura is a fast city hunter with much smoother ride and driving characteristics and better suited for city use + Highways.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 15th June 2012 at 09:32.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 09:51   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Nitin,

6) Other features like Hill-Hold control are also very useful - as it prevents rollback for 3 seconds when you are going uphill and have to stop in between and then go up again - this is very usefull in even mall parking ramps as it prevents rollback. It is also extremely useful in hilly terrain driving and you don't need to worry at all!
Hi Behemoth,

So you're saying the Laura cannot be taken to rough stretches despite having the traction control, HHC, ESD etc?

You'd mentioned the yeti prevents rollback for 3 seconds; what happens after 3 seconds, would it start rolling?

Wow... the more I look into the features, the more I get excited and confused.

I'm paying a visit to Vinayak Skoda tomorrow, ORR, any bhpian joining me to haggle?
Old 15th June 2012, 09:58   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quite a funny argument. Its like saying that I won't take a 1Cr g wagon to potholed roads because I won't take a 1cr Porsche to those roads
Old 15th June 2012, 10:25   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Behemoth,

So you're saying the Laura cannot be taken to rough stretches despite having the traction control, HHC, ESD etc?

You'd mentioned the yeti prevents rollback for 3 seconds; what happens after 3 seconds, would it start rolling?

Wow... the more I look into the features, the more I get excited and confused.

I'm paying a visit to Vinayak Skoda tomorrow, ORR, any bhpian joining me to haggle?
Yes, the Laura does not have the Haldex 4x4 which the Yeti has. The Laura can still manage a little bit of bad roads / water and ice but it cannot sustain safely in no road/ rocky / muddy conditions. There are a lot of Yeti offroad videos on Youtube - do see them if you get a chance. You cannot even imagine the Laura doing most of them , as it is not designed for it!

Regarding the Hill Hold control, that 3 seconds is for you to take your foot off the brake and accelerate. When you take your foot off the brake, it does not roll back for 3 seconds. As soon as you accelerate, it releases the brake (if sooner than 3 seconds). No need to use the hand brake in this situation to prevent roll back. If you are going for a test drive, do test out this feature on a ramp.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 15th June 2012, 11:27   #265
BHPian

Nitin , call me too. Nine six three two nine two two seven zero zero.
Old 15th June 2012, 11:37   #266
Senior - BHPian

What would be the difference between the Superb Elegance and the Laura L&K TDI, apart from the physical size? I find the features identical.
Old 15th June 2012, 13:14   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No idea about who takes a LC to rough terrain in India, but I do take my Fortuner on bad terrain regularly. The Tuna is not meant to be wrapped in cotton wool and used for mallroading.

We are talking about a vehicle is the sibling of the Hilux, the only vehicle that has gone to both the Poles. And a vehicle that is used for overlanding regularly in Africa, hundreds of miles inside scrubland or desert, and also used in rocky terrain and for river crossings.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 15th June 2012 at 13:21.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 15:55   #268
BHPian

Well by that logic one shouldnt even take there Fortuners to rough terrain(24 Lkhs, is not cheap in any way), which is the prime reason i feel for one to choose a fortuner over so many other UV's like the Yeti in the first place.
fortuners and pajeros are cars which can take you places where a Xtrail or Yeti cant.
so if your scared of getting bruised dont play the game imho.

Last edited by fiorano88 : 15th June 2012 at 15:58. Reason: edit
Old 15th June 2012, 19:09   #269
Senior - BHPian

How about upsizing tyres for the Yeti to 225/55/R17? Would it affect the performance adversely?
Old 15th June 2012, 19:13   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about upsizing tyres for the Yeti to 225/55/R17? Would it affect the performance adversely?
Warranty issues with suspension. General upsizing not recommended. Do check again with Behemoth.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks