Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 21:26   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Sorry to hear your tryst with Xylo. M&M needs to trouble shoot these at the earliest and not keep the car for months to go.

I know K.Ravi and he is very responsible person, trust he gets your ride back to you at the earliest.
Thanks Surya, I really hope K. Ravi is a responsible person, I have been having so hard a time trying to get responses from Mahindra. Things started to move faster once i got the contact of Ravi's Boss, Sanjoy Gupta... Head of CC India.. Lets hope i get the car soon.. Its been too long... And the worst part... The the last 5k kms of the car has been driven by mechanics. Hope its not a mess...
cinnypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 22:07   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I have been having a leaking O Ring in my Scorpio's fuel pump for almost 2 years now and have not faced any significant drop in pressure or power. In any case, am sure that in cinnypt's case, the fuel pump will be covered under warranty.
Kumar\MileCruncher, the fuel pump is included in the engine assembly that they are replacing, it also includes the turbo charger.

Do you guys know what is the function of the EGR valve?? From what i hear now Xylo has the third design of the EGR valve now out. The last analysis they gave me was that when they drove the car from Bangalore to Ooty they drove with the EGR valve disconnected and it didnt seem to have any issues. I know that they tried the 2nd and 3rd design of the EGR valve which didnt fix the issue. But they were pretty silent past that. Dont understand how some guy from the TechLiner sitting in Hyderabad suddenly says its a metallurgy issue??? Dont think thay have a proper analysis of the car. And just decided to change the engine, since they already tried changing the EGR valve many time, and Clutch and Engine wiring harness. Would be nice if someone could let me know the function of the EGR valve?
cinnypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 22:16   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Please check the fuel tank breather. if it is blocked, this is what the vehicle behaviour is. to confirm, just open the fuel tank cap and drive it up hill.
star_aqua, the fuel tank was checked twice, once in Jan and one in March... In Jan they said my fuel was adulterated and dumped around 25 litres of my fuel. This time they said they wanted to dump all my fuel again, and this time i had more then 3/4th tank of fuel, i asked them why, they said because it wasnt done last time they need to do it now. Got very upset and blew my top off. Then the SA remembered that it was done, because he himself did it. This time they removed the tank and checked all filters and everything, said it was fine. Not very happy at the way Mahindra have handled this issue.....
cinnypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 22:28   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
I own a xylo and had taken deliver of the vehicle in 2010 jan. I had the problem with the EGR valve within the first 2000km and was changed immediately. But for that i have not had any major issue with the vehicle. While the valve was being changed the service engineer confirmed that most of the initial set of vehicles had the problem and most of them had their valves changed during their first service. Except for the first batch of the vehicle none of the other batches had any trouble. He blamed it on the 3rd party goof up. When i pointed out that my vehicle had the trouble though it was not from the first batch, i was informed that few other vehicles shared the same component and are being replaced during the first service or if a problem arises earlier.
Regarding mileage i have not seen single digits till now. Even in dense traffic with full air conditioner i have not seen single digits. Now that mahindra has accepted and replacing the vehicles engine i guess your problem will be solved. Will hope to see your problem sorted out. Cheers
Raja, The EGR valve in my vehicle was changed in March 2010 to the second type design they said. They said it would reduce the noise from the engine i get at certain RPMs. Even after it was replaced i had the same sound from the engine. Then last month in the middle of the trials they were doing, they realised that the EGR valve had failed and they replaced it with the second design again. Then after 2 weeks they changed the EGR valve again and this time they changed it to a third design so they say. Wonder how many designs do they have?

About mileage, i have asked a lot of people on how much mileage they get. Most people say they get 11 easy in city, sometimes 12 and mostly 14-15 on long drives. My mileage is not even close to what most people get.

Anyway lets hope the replaced engine will fix some of the major issues i have been facing
cinnypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 23:12   #20
BHPian
 
star_aqua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 612
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnypt View Post
star_aqua, the fuel tank was checked twice, once in Jan and one in March... In Jan they said my fuel was adulterated and dumped around 25 litres of my fuel. This time they said they wanted to dump all my fuel again, and this time i had more then 3/4th tank of fuel, i asked them why, they said because it wasnt done last time they need to do it now. Got very upset and blew my top off. Then the SA remembered that it was done, because he himself did it. This time they removed the tank and checked all filters and everything, said it was fine. Not very happy at the way Mahindra have handled this issue.....
The only problem i could see is the vacuum build up in the fuel tank. as you said it looses power after driving 200kms continuously, is due to the fuel level going low in the tank and creating vacuum inside which further restricts the fuel to exit from the tank. which will cause the pre supply to be in adequate when you demand more power or when driving up hill, the fuel is consumed more automatically. when the pre supply is not enough, you will loose power.
when you stopped for a while, the vacuum inside the tank is relieved a bit. the more time you waited switching the engine off, the more kms you could travel without loosing the power.

EGR has nothing to do with this issue.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 02:49   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

If you feel things are moving as fast as they should, PM me your vehicle regn number and I will talk to the people I know at SKS.

With a new engine, it should be back on track.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 09:14   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
The only problem i could see is the vacuum build up in the fuel tank. as you said it looses power after driving 200kms continuously, is due to the fuel level going low in the tank and creating vacuum inside which further restricts the fuel to exit from the tank. which will cause the pre supply to be in adequate when you demand more power or when driving up hill, the fuel is consumed more automatically. when the pre supply is not enough, you will loose power.
when you stopped for a while, the vacuum inside the tank is relieved a bit. the more time you waited switching the engine off, the more kms you could travel without loosing the power.

EGR has nothing to do with this issue.
star_aqua, the issue continues even when i top up the fuel tank when i am having the issue, so i dont think it has anything to do with the vacuum created in the fuel tank. And one more piece of info i have, when the car is in this stage of behaviour even driving slight steep gradients (Like Bandipur & Bangalore-Mysore road) which the car would normally handle in 5th gear or lowest 4th gear, is a struggle which the car needs to do in 2nd gear or 1st gear. And when the road is a slight downhill i have even gone to speeds of 100+. I know, very awkward behaviour. And also when in neutral at this stage and try revving the engine, it struggles to reach 2000 rpm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
If you feel things are moving as fast as they should, PM me your vehicle regn number and I will talk to the people I know at SKS.

With a new engine, it should be back on track.
Dev, just sent you a PM with the vehicle Reg number. Let me know if you need more information.

But just for info on this thread, everyone in SKS knows me so well since i have been there so often, when they see my car they get scared. The people who i am in constant touch with is SKS CEO, Service Manager, Asst. Service Manager. They even have my car number memorized. Some even my phone number.

My first worst experience in SKS was in the second half of 2010 for the suspension issue. Gave it to them more than 10 times saying there is a howling noise from suspension. They gave it back to me all the times saying there was no issue with the car. Gave to Sireesh auto once and they said there was no issue with the car. Then took it to a local mechanic friend of mine in Mysore. Over a tea, he opened up the front wheel and he told me that my suspension is wearing off very abnormally and told me 4 components that had to be replaced (Shock Absorber bush,Tie Rod ends, Steering ball joint, suspension ball end). Told the then GM of SKS this and by evening he gave me the car saying all components were checked and there was no issues. Gave it back to them about 2-3 times, but no results. Escalated the issue to CC. The person incharge of CC bangalore met me and he couldnt reproduce the issue too. I told them clearly i could only reproduce the problem in certain gradients. But he was SKS for the whole day and next day they gave me the car saying the issue has been resolved. When i see the invoice i noticed that the 4 components that i had asked them to check was replaced. Didnt have an issue with the suspension for few months and then my last trip to Ooty could hear the same suspension sounds when coming down the ghats at all the hairpins.

I hear from a friend in Mahindra that Xylo does have a suspension design issue and that the Tie Rod ends wears out very abnormally. He said that the Tie Rod ends was replaced 6 times in the Demo Vehicle. Does anybody else have an issue with their Xylo suspension??

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th April 2011 at 14:12. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
cinnypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 14:01   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
shishir_bn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnypt View Post
Does anybody else have an issue with their Xylo suspension??
@cinnypt, even I had suspension noise when my Xylo reached 5k kms. But then in the first service they had done some lubrication and greasing I guess(that is what was mentioned on the invoice) and that sound didn't appear. In my 2nd service they had changed the Shock absorber bush and till date(~20k kms) I haven't heard of that suspension noise.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 00:39   #24
BHPian
 
star_aqua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 612
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnypt View Post
star_aqua, the issue continues even when i top up the fuel tank when i am having the issue, so i dont think it has anything to do with the vacuum created in the fuel tank. And one more piece of info i have, when the car is in this stage of behaviour even driving slight steep gradients (Like Bandipur & Bangalore-Mysore road) which the car would normally handle in 5th gear or lowest 4th gear, is a struggle which the car needs to do in 2nd gear or 1st gear. And when the road is a slight downhill i have even gone to speeds of 100+. I know, very awkward behaviour. And also when in neutral at this stage and try revving the engine, it struggles to reach 2000 rpm!!!!

HI, will there be any lamp(MIL) glowing on the dash when the issue occurs?
The issue could be with injection system or the fuel system. Please ask them to do a "High Pressure test" to confirm the rail pressure buildup and correct functioning of Metering Unit. Since they have tester/scanner, ask them to read the actuator value for the Metering Unit, the actual rail pressure and the desired rail pressure set point value at the time of problem occurrence. those values can be read through the tester for XYLO.
If the actual rail pressure is below the set point and metering unit is fully open, then it indicates there is no fault in the injection system. the fault lies in the fuel system. in such case ask them to check the Pre supply pump and its continuous operation.

Is the vehicle still being tested? or they are in process of changing the engine?
star_aqua is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 09:27   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
@cinnypt, even I had suspension noise when my Xylo reached 5k kms. But then in the first service they had done some lubrication and greasing I guess(that is what was mentioned on the invoice) and that sound didn't appear. In my 2nd service they had changed the Shock absorber bush and till date(~20k kms) I haven't heard of that suspension noise.
@shishir_bn, I never had a sound from the suspension until the car reached about 30-35k kms. But it took about 10k kms for Mahindra to fix the issue. And the problem repeats itself after few months. But glad to hear that no one seems to be having the same issues as i am. So it must be a one off case then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
HI, will there be any lamp(MIL) glowing on the dash when the issue occurs?
The issue could be with injection system or the fuel system. Please ask them to do a "High Pressure test" to confirm the rail pressure buildup and correct functioning of Metering Unit. Since they have tester/scanner, ask them to read the actuator value for the Metering Unit, the actual rail pressure and the desired rail pressure set point value at the time of problem occurrence. those values can be read through the tester for XYLO.
If the actual rail pressure is below the set point and metering unit is fully open, then it indicates there is no fault in the injection system. the fault lies in the fuel system. in such case ask them to check the Pre supply pump and its continuous operation.

Is the vehicle still being tested? or they are in process of changing the engine?
@star_aqua, no lamps light up on the dash when the issue occurs. Your understanding of the engine seems to be quite vast. In the month and more than Mahindra was analyzing the issue not one person mentioned what you have mentioned. This should have been a very important test with the issue i am facing, but dont think they tested the injection system. Mahindra has been very silent on the technical analysis of the car, they just give me some brief info when i ask them. They keep saying a detailed report will be given at the time of delivery of the car. Thats what they have been saying for the last month. On asking them if i could get a clearer technical picture of whats going on by talking to the technical team involved, Mahindra CC made it very clear that the technical team will NOT talk to the customer directly. I was only told last week that Mahindra thinks it is a metallurgy issue and hence replacing the engine.

The vehicle testing has stopped on 14th of April. Thats when Mahindra decided to change the engine. So as of now if it is some accessory to the engine causing the problem the problem will still reoccur even after replacing the engine.

Mahindra has been very silent this whole week and last. I have asked updates from the CC 3 times this week, and all i get is out of office replies from all of the CC involved
cinnypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 14:27   #26
BHPian
 
star_aqua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 612
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
HI, will there be any lamp(MIL) glowing on the dash when the issue occurs?
The issue could be with injection system or the fuel system. Please ask them to do a "High Pressure test" to confirm the rail pressure buildup and correct functioning of Metering Unit. Since they have tester/scanner, ask them to read the actuator value for the Metering Unit, the actual rail pressure and the desired rail pressure set point value at the time of problem occurrence. those values can be read through the tester for XYLO.
If the actual rail pressure is below the set point and metering unit is fully open, then it indicates there is no fault in the injection system. the fault lies in the fuel system. in such case ask them to check the Pre supply pump and its continuous operation.

Is the vehicle still being tested? or they are in process of changing the engine?
Hi, a small correction to my previous post. XYLO uses pressure control valve(PCV) instead of metering unit for pressure control. the pcv control can cause fuel overheating in some cases which will reduce the power. ask them to check if the pcv is fully closed during the problem occurrence along with the actual rail pressure and desired rail pressure setpoint.
the problem with the service guys is they just do everything by trial and error basis by replacing each and every part.
star_aqua is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 10:30   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Hi all, this week has been wild with Mahindra. As i mentioned in a previous post, that Mahindra was remaining silent. I had asked the Karnataka CC to give me a deadline as to when i would get my car back in proper running condition. He didnt reply. I then asked his Boss (CC South India) the same. He didnt reply. He was out of Office 26th & 27th. I sent the same mail to his Boss too (CC India), He was out of Office till May 1st. But atleast he did reply even though he was out of office. He said he will check the status and ensures that the people under him will call and update me on Thursday. The whole of Thursday went by very quietly. Sent an email to CC India telling him that i have no update from anybody and that also mentioned that i didnt expect customer care to get any worse than this. And then some how figured out the mail to Anand Mahindra and forwarded him the whole chain of mails and asked him atleast to do something. Friday Morning comes and CC india sends a mail to CC Karnataka very upset with the guy asking him what the issue was and that they had a discussion on Thursday morning and he was supposed to update me without fail and then he told him that if final solution was not provided in 2 days time that he was supposed to replace the car without further delay. 5 mins after get a call from CC Karnataka.

He says that the senior technical team has been with my car for the last few days and they were again doing testing on the car and they tested the car with a new ECU and it wasnt the problem and then they did some more testing and changed the Injection system and this time they were able to drive 650 kms without any problems. Hence the injection system was the culprit. They said now they will still continue to change the engine since the car has been driven so much by Mahindra. But they said the engine is working perfectly fine now and that they would need 2 days time to replace the engine.

Does anybody know if the Injection system for Xylo consists of the Fuel Pumps too?

So, star_aqua and probably MileCruncher, you guys were dead on target.... Thanks....

Friday Afternoon i ask Mahindra on how many kms the car has done since Final analysis is done. THey replied saying its done a little more than 5k kms.... And they said the engine will be fit by Saturday and i will get delivery of the vehicle on Monday evening by 5 PM and that they wanted to do a paid service free of cost for me and plus do a Maxi Care Treatment free of cost (Anybody knows what this is??)....

Today morning, get a call from CC Karnataka and he says he want to have a discussion with me around 12 noon... I told him that i dont think i would be available and what is it about... He said since the old engine was working fine he was wondering if i was OK with taking the car with the old engine and if i have any issues with the car i can always get the engine replaced and that they will give this in writing and that the new engine will remain at the Workshop. I told him clearly either replace the engine or replace the car, its your call. He said that he will proceed with changing the engine.

Hmmm, these guys are trying to save anything they can.... I really i hope i get my car back atleast by monday.... and hope the car is in the same condition i gave it in..... Will keep you updated.....
cinnypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 14:38   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Good to know that the problem has been identified and resolved. Injection system is not a major issue, I wonder why they weren't able to detect it earlier. Please tell the Customer Care people that you wonder why the ASC and the technical team were not able to resolve such a small problem earlier. Or were they such a shoddy job!

I would suggest taking the new engine!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 16:55   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Good to know that the problem has been identified and resolved. Injection system is not a major issue, I wonder why they weren't able to detect it earlier. Please tell the Customer Care people that you wonder why the ASC and the technical team were not able to resolve such a small problem earlier. Or were they such a shoddy job!

I would suggest taking the new engine!
Definitely a shoddy job... They detected the problem in less than a weeks time once the senior tech person came to bangalore and was directly on the case... It was the same tech person who was handling the issue all this while but from Hyderabad... Some guy called Venu...

Definitely going to push for the new engine. They said they would replace the engine number of the new engine to the same number as in old.
cinnypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:10   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Finally got the car today. New engine. Got them to give me 5 new tires and replace rims to alloys for all 5 wheels as compensation. Car doesnt seem to be in that good shape. They had replaced the windshield because it had a small crack when i gave it to them on March 10th and also some painting work had to be done. The new windshield is cracked too in a different place. The place that was painted has a big scratch too. Looks like all happened during the the 5000 kms of test driving they did. The clutch seems not adjusted properly. Engine seems lot quiter. Need to see how it goes from here.
cinnypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms v12 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 139 4th March 2016 20:01
Skoda Octavia vRS - 12/2004 - Diamond Grey - Update @ 54000 kms v&v Long-Term Ownership Reviews 187 21st February 2016 15:40
Throttle body change @ 54000 kms namit Technical Stuff 16 25th February 2013 18:20
M&M launches Xylo variant - Xylo D2, with new Engine H3LIOS The Indian Car Scene 61 11th November 2010 22:34
Countdown to new Xylo 'Happy legs' TV ad.. Will they launch a new Xylo? Finject The Indian Car Scene 19 19th May 2010 18:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks