Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2017, 21:41   #1186
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I never [knowingly] drove a car posh enough to have an oil-level warning. As far as I know, the Polo's Oil light works like every oil light I've known since 1950-something: Still on after engine start is bad. Only two states, OK and not OK.

Of course, it might be that it is my understanding that has not moved on since 1950-something. Would be really interesting to be wrong on this one!
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/w...gine-oil-level
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/w...e-oil-pressure

However, many of the warning lamps are configured differently here. Of course, it goes without saying that you shouldn't drive it with the light on but I am asking about exactly what warning lamps exist in the Polo and if there is more than one oil related warning lamp.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 19th January 2017 at 21:46.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 21:57   #1187
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,610
Thanked: 6,694 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

I can't get those links, but perhaps you are gently suggesting I should read the manual?

I should --- but VW manuals are so full of stuff fitted in other countries and "may not apply to your model," that, even going back to when I drove a Golf in London about 1990, I find them a depressing waste of time!

I can easily believe that such facilities are fitted to other Polos, or in other countries. I don't think we get them here. But no, I don't know for sure.

Another confession: we are supposed to check the dipstick once a month (week?) but it is so long since I drove a car that consumed a significant amount of oil that I don't.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 22:07   #1188
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I can't get those links, but perhaps you are gently suggesting I should read the manual?
Wouldn't dream of it Thad!

The manual we have claims that the light is an oil level/pressure light but as you say, this may or may not apply to the models here. So wanted to check if some of our resident experts know if we get anything other than the bog standard 1950s oil pressure light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Another confession: we are supposed to check the dipstick once a month (week?) but it is so long since I drove a car that consumed a significant amount of oil that I don't.
I admit I'm in the same boat so I'm hoping VW has thoughtfully addressed my laziness with one more warning lamp.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 10:56   #1189
BHPian
 
SUPERSPORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 68
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeetya.gandhi View Post
Hi everyone,

I own a Polo Tdi (mar 2011). Recently Diesel pre-heating indicator light has started glowing. Whenever it glows the turbo is not kicked in. Other times it will work fine. I gave it for servicing the other day. The Service adviser told that it needed a turbo replacement which will cost 50k. Should i go with the replacement or look for options in local garage? Please help.
Your Turbo boost pressure sensor ( hope I got the name right) is gone. As a result there's wrong readings n the car indicates a glow plug failure warning first followed by turbo shutting off which will then be followed by the infamous check engine light. That sensor is an expensive one too. Quality of parts on the German quality "Polo" is so underwhelming that I started respecting my underrated so called poor quality Linea on a very high level compared to the Polo. That thing is reliable as a rock while the Polo, less said the better! You might have to face many more multiple ABS sensor failures, Turbo hose leakage, brake juddering, steering rack troubles, AC issues etc as you click more miles on the odo. Upkeeping a Polo is not only heavy on the pocket but also affects your peace of mind. Especially for some one like me who always keeps the car in showroom condition. Sorry for the rant but I'm very disappointed with VW.

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 21st January 2017 at 10:57.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 19:00   #1190
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Is there some way of loosening up the side mirrors so they fold more easily? It usually needs a lot more effort to fold in the Polo compared to other cars - the downside is that the mirror is more likely to break than fold when it takes a hit.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 22:16   #1191
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai/ Trichy
Posts: 361
Thanked: 179 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Is there some way of loosening up the side mirrors so they fold more easily? It usually needs a lot more effort to fold in the Polo compared to other cars - the downside is that the mirror is more likely to break than fold when it takes a hit.
The side mirrors are a lot more stronger than we expect. They don't break easily.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 13:58   #1192
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 626
Thanked: 247 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Is there some way of loosening up the side mirrors so they fold more easily? It usually needs a lot more effort to fold in the Polo compared to other cars - the downside is that the mirror is more likely to break than fold when it takes a hit.
You can spray some WD-40 on the lower part near the hinge to loosen a bit. But anyway, if they do break, you get the plastic shroud as well as the mirror assembly separately so not a big cost if you lose it. You only need to change the broken part instead of the whole assembly.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 15:11   #1193
BHPian
 
VKumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NCR
Posts: 174
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Check engine lights can indicate something major or something very minor too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Anybody have any ideas, and is this an indicator of some serious problem?
I connected my VCDS cable to the car and this is the info I got (All copied to MS word, please ignore the date; I don't know where it fetched the date from). It said 'flow too low'; I gave a quick call to my service adviser and shared a snapshot with him over whatsapp. All he told was "throttle body cleaning may be required, bring the car to station". Although the light disappeared next morning (Oh yeah, it came twice and disappeared itself both the times), still I went to a close friend. We opened the air filter, cleaned it. Then opened the throttle body leading air circuit and cleaned the throttle body by spraying WD40. Since then, the car has already covered over a thousand kilometers (Odo now has 16,400+), but no issues at all.
Name:  vcs.JPG
Views: 1024
Size:  32.4 KB
VKumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 18:00   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,610
Thanked: 6,694 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
... ... ... Quality of parts on the German quality "Polo" is so underwhelming that I started respecting my underrated so called poor quality Linea on a very high level compared to the Polo. That thing is reliable as a rock while the Polo, less said the better! You might have to face many more multiple ABS sensor failures, Turbo hose leakage, brake juddering, steering rack troubles, AC issues etc as you click more miles on the odo. Upkeeping a Polo is not only heavy on the pocket but also affects your peace of mind. Especially for some one like me who always keeps the car in showroom condition. Sorry for the rant but I'm very disappointed with VW.
Quite a worrying post. As far as I can remember, it is the first that I have seen which rates the basic reliability of the Polo so low. My first Polo had zero failures in four years (Oh: except for those silly fragile cabin airducts of that period and one horn) and I'm hoping for something similar with my current car.

Sorry that you have had such a bad experience.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 21:11   #1195
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 16
Thanked: 19 Times
Exclamation Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

My polo is pulling to the left, even when the steering-wheel is straight, it moves from one lane to the other in about 100-150mtrs. I am attaching the alignment report, which was given a green light by my local tire shop.

If the experts here could have a look and let me know that'll be really appreciated, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-new-doc-20170130_1.jpg  

Beerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 22:44   #1196
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 180
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
My polo is pulling to the left, even when the steering-wheel is straight, it moves from one lane to the other in about 100-150mtrs. I am attaching the alignment report, which was given a green light by my local tire shop.

If the experts here could have a look and let me know that'll be really appreciated, thanks.
I think that is a normal phenomenon on all Polos I have driven. Nearly all good roads have a slight inclination to the left to drain rain water. My guess is that the car gradually moves to the left on account of this. I had googled about this before thinking mine had an alignment problem - the most outlandish answer I saw "Its a safety feature by VW "
kutts is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 11:05   #1197
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 16
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
I think that is a normal phenomenon on all Polos I have driven. Nearly all good roads have a slight inclination to the left to drain rain water. My guess is that the car gradually moves to the left on account of this. I had googled about this before thinking mine had an alignment problem - the most outlandish answer I saw "Its a safety feature by VW "
My car moves to the left irrespective of road design. It never used to do this before. I am going to take it to A.S.S this weekend. I also know that if the alignment is correct, then it might hint towards a bigger problem such as suspension failures/issues, or small problems such as the tire's failing structurally. The most worrying part is that my polo is just 2300km and 8 months old.

Last edited by ampere : 31st January 2017 at 11:21. Reason: Formatted
Beerus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 11:57   #1198
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai/ Trichy
Posts: 361
Thanked: 179 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
My car moves to the left irrespective of road design. It never used to do this before. I am going to take it to A.S.S this weekend. I also know that if the alignment is correct, then it might hint towards a bigger problem such as suspension failures/issues, or small problems such as the tire's failing structurally. The most worrying part is that my polo is just 2300km and 8 months old.
Strange! The same thing happened with me and my Figo a couple of years ago when I was on a long trip. No matter what I would do, the car would keep pulling to the left.
It finally turned out to be unequal pressures in the front wheels.
sunsetorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 17:30   #1199
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 16
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Strange! The same thing happened with me and my Figo a couple of years ago when I was on a long trip. No matter what I would do, the car would keep pulling to the left.
It finally turned out to be unequal pressures in the front wheels.
My local tire shop did check the tire pressures after checking the alignment and the tires were also rotated, but the problem still persists
Beerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 13:37   #1200
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 129
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Of late, I have been facing an issue with the fuel flap on my Polo. The flap doesn't lock even if I have centrally locked the car with keys (even after locking the car, pressing on the fuel flap opens it). Saw some European forums where they have reported the same issue and in most cases, it looks to be a solenoid failure. Anyone here on TBHP faced the same issue?
vw19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos laluks Technical Stuff 8616 18th August 2017 12:12
Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts! evilshantanu Technical Stuff 198 15th August 2017 11:57
Maruti's new Service Packages - MCP (Maintenance Cost Protect) for its entire range of cars RavenAvi Technical Stuff 17 11th July 2017 02:24
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks