Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 15:54   #376
BANNED

If you are getting harsh ride with nitrogen, its not due to the physical character of the nitrogen, 33psi in Nitrogen should be same as regular air. My suspicion is the gauge which is measuring the air, it has to be faulty so whats being shown as 33 is in fact 35 or higher. Only when the vehicle is grossly overinflated should you see a change in ride characteristics.
Old 11th February 2009, 16:15   #377
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Observation, and a point to be kept in mind.

Mumbaites anywhere I can fill up Nitrogen, preferable in and around Navi Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne D View Post
I filled my tires with Nitrogen a few days ago.
They jack up the car then deflate your tires and then inflate them with nitrogen, right?
So they jack up the car and fill your tires with say 33 psi ( which is the right pressure when the car is on all four wheels) but when the car is taken off the jacks it increases to 35 or more depending on the weight of your car.
After ur tires are inflated and the car is taken off the jack, ask them to check the tire pressure again.
I had this problem. The ride comfort decreases alot, it will feel quite stiff.
Maybe thats why your'll feel acceleration has improved.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:02   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I filled my tires with Nitrogen a few days ago.
They jack up the car then deflate your tires and then inflate them with nitrogen, right?
So they jack up the car and fill your tires with say 33 psi ( which is the right pressure when the car is on all four wheels) but when the car is taken off the jacks it increases to 35 or more depending on the weight of your car.
After ur tires are inflated and the car is taken off the jack, ask them to check the tire pressure again.
I had this problem. The ride comfort decreases alot, it will feel quite stiff.
Maybe thats why your'll feel acceleration has improved.
First & formost by lifting the car on jacks the tyre will never deflate completely. Moreover even in a completely flat tyre with the cars weight on it there will 4 - 8 psi of old compressed air remaining.
Old 11th February 2009, 19:32   #379
BHPian

It was not because of a faulty gauge. It was because when the car is on the jack the weight of the car does not exert any pressure on the tires.
When the car is not on the jack then the weight of the car increases the pressure on the tires hence the Psi level increases.In my case it went from 34 to 37. The recommended limit for my car is 33 Psi but i prefer to be one Psi higher.
True that there will not be 0 psi when the tires are deflated. I think they draw out all the air then fill the tires with nitrogen. Its as close to being a completely deflated which is about 10 psi ( thats as good as it gets)
Old 12th February 2009, 07:58   #380
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamojoym View Post
I filled nitrogen in my tyres after which ride quality has improved considerably and so has the braking.
I can tell you one thing for fact, this a purely psychological feeling. The car or its handling is not affected in the least by what gas you put in your tyres. It is the pressure of filling whatever you fill that determines that, so please don't keep propagating the myth of nitrogen magic. One thing which is different about nitrogen is that there is less moisture hence the tyre pressure will more or less remain constant with changes in temperature.

All this nitrogen filling for tyres is a gimmick pulled on ignorant people, lets see-
The normal air is already 73% nitrogen and what he fills will be closer to about 85% N2. The nitrogen he fills cannot be much purer than that for these commercial non-critical uses or he would be selling it to industries at a premium guys.
So you all are paying Rs.200 just for that 10% extra N2 and a feel good factor
Old 12th February 2009, 11:17   #381
BHPian

AFAIK the Nitrogen which they use to fill the tires is 99.5 % pure nitrogen.
One of my friends died in a car crash on the way to Pune, why? Because they tire burst because of the heat. He was driving a swift.
Dont you think that 100-200 rupees isnt much if it may safe your life?
Old 12th February 2009, 11:53   #382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One of my friends died in a car crash on the way to Pune, why? Because they tire burst because of the heat. He was driving a swift.
filling proper pressure with normal air will prevent such incidents from happening
Old 12th February 2009, 12:39   #383
Senior - BHPian

The place where I fill in Chennai has a system of deflating the tyre and filling up with Nitrogen. The entire process is done my the system, all the guy has to do is lock the the tube to the valve of the tyre. You typically see the tyre bending while the air gets deflated and click noise which is associated with a tyre put afresh onto the rims while nitrogen gets filled up
Old 12th February 2009, 13:16   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An equipment that can give 99.5% pure nitrogen will cost crores. Trust me that equipment no tyre dealer will invest in. Moreover for the tyre to have that same purity of nitrogen you will have to use a good quality vacuum pump and fill & remove nitrogen multiple times to get pure nitrogen in the tyre.

Coming to the point of tyre bursting. It can happen even with nitrogen. Nitrogen heats just a much as compressed air. Read the last few pages properly where I have put up data to prove that nitrogen also heats & expands.

As far as your friend is concerned I think he would have been running with over inflated tyres. The burst has nothing to do with nitrogen or air. Even airplane tyres burst under extreme braking with nitrogen being filled in them.

@Srikanth - Does it inflate using a tall nitrogen cylinder or from a nitrogen generator?

Last edited by vikram_d : 12th February 2009 at 13:19.
Old 12th February 2009, 14:18   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course I would.
Provided those 100-200 rupees expenditure has some logical explanation.

For less than INR 100, I can also get a voodoo lucky charm, which can ward off the evil and make all my journies safe.

Last edited by alpha1 : 12th February 2009 at 14:21.
Old 12th February 2009, 14:54   #386
BHPian

TVS in talks with oil marketing cos for nitrogen inflators

The Hindu Business Line : TVS in talks with oil marketing cos for nitrogen inflators

Chennai, Jan. 28 Put nitrogen into your tyres instead of air, and you will see certain marked benefits. Nitrogen is inert, non-combustible, non-corrosive and unlike oxygen present in air, is less destructive in terms of oxidation of rubber. Further, nitro diffuses through the walls of tyres slower than air, and hence the pressure inside the tubes holds longer. And, as everybody knows, a tyre that is well inflated lives longer.
There is a study that says a tyre that is 10 per cent under inflated will lose 7 per cent of its service life.

With all this in mind, the tools and garage equipment division of TVS & Sons is in talks with oil marketing companies to install nitrogen inflators at fuel retail outlets – for starters – in Tamil Nadu.

The Head (operations) of the division of TVS & Sons, Mr R. Seshadri, told Business Line that as a pilot project the company has installed nitrogen inflator for cars and two-wheelers in one of the fuel outlets in the city. It will study the viability of the project for the stake holders such as oil marketing companies, fuel retailers and customers. Based on the study the company would work out modalities to expand its operations. The inflating machines will be imported.

More than passenger cars and two-wheelers it helps commercial vehicles. Because the tyre stays fully inflated, the vehicle runs smoothly which in turn helps improve fuel efficiency.

Today there are a few nitrogen filling stations in the city. They charge about Rs 40 for a car tyre and Rs 25 for a two-wheeler tyre, to fully deflate the air and fill in nitrogen. For top ups, they charge Rs 10 a tyre. However, it is expected that when demand picks up these charges will fall.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th February 2009 at 15:02. Reason: Font tags
Old 12th February 2009, 15:02   #387
BHPian

I feel its mostly due to the moisture in the normal compressed air which causes tire pressure variation. This can become acute in cities like bangalore where temperature range is 31 deg - 18 deg. so in the morning tire will be floppy and after driving 10kms car starts to jump.

I filled nitrogen in my car tires on Dec 28, 2008 till date no variation in tire pressure (touchwood).

Pros:
Constant tire pressure. dont have to add 3-4 psi exta while filling up.
No need to wait at the fuel pump every fortnight to fill air

Cons:
Expensive costs Rs30 per tire intially and Rs10 per tire for top-ups
Old 12th February 2009, 15:04   #388
Senior - BHPian

If they can make a profit, then they will sell snake oil!!!
Old 12th February 2009, 15:24   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
I filled nitrogen in my car tires on Dec 28, 2008 till date no variation in tire pressure (touchwood).
Have you checked pressure after driving your car for say 10 - 15 kms?
Old 12th February 2009, 16:00   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
Do you mean no variation or no pressure loss?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks