Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 17:20   #496
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
snake oil.
Heard of Sanda ka Tail(oil in Hindi) Nitrogen is like that oil but for tyres.
Old 25th May 2009, 17:53   #497
Senior - BHPian

I fill normal air in my tires and lose about 1 psi every two months. No difference fellows. When filling it, he must have serviced the valves...

Tire bursts? Please do read up on reasons for tire bursts - it has absolutely nothing to do with air or nitrogen.

Amazed at this thread and no. of fellows who fall for the N2 gas...
Old 25th May 2009, 18:27   #498
Senior - BHPian

I did not know about this Nitrogen in tyres until I serviced my car (Swift VDi) in RNS Motors, Bangalore. The service advisor told me all the points few have mentioned in this thread. I said ok and he filled it with N2 and charged 70 bucks.
I have not noticed any difference in ride by using the nitrogen. The only advantage I find here is that I do not have to keep on topping up frequently. Onetime fill can last upto 3-4 months, and RNS gives free top-ups (atleast they didn't charge me).

I have 2 questions here.
1. Can normal air be filled in a tyre with nitrogen? (if I need a top-up urgently)
2. Wht do I do if do not want a nitrogen filled tyre and want to go back to good old air? Do I have to let out all the nitrogen and then fill air?
Old 25th May 2009, 18:34   #499
Senior - BHPian

nitrogen makes up 80% of regular air, and the point of using pure nitrogen is to remove oxygen and moisture. You can safely do both, but then it will be the same as using regular air
Old 25th May 2009, 18:36   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I have 2 questions here.
1. Can normal air be filled in a tyre with nitrogen? (if I need a top-up urgently)
2. Wht do I do if do not want a nitrogen filled tyre and want to go back to good old air? Do I have to let out all the nitrogen and then fill air?

@addyhemmige, Yes you can fill normal air as top up in a tyre already having nitrogen.....I've done it before...nothing changes.
And yes, if you want to go back to filling normal air, then first let out all the nitrogen.
Old 25th May 2009, 19:19   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
@addyhemmige, Yes you can fill normal air as top up in a tyre already having nitrogen.....I've done it before...nothing changes.
And yes, if you want to go back to filling normal air, then first let out all the nitrogen.
The nitrogen wars have started again.

I dont think you have to let out all of the nitrogen to fill normal air as already discussed 74% of normal air is any way nitrogen. so topping up with normal air will dilute the N2 concentration over a period of time.

However, to fill nitrogen you have evacuate all of the normal air.

Last edited by enzo10 : 25th May 2009 at 19:24.
Old 25th May 2009, 20:09   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipfoose View Post
I filled nitrogen in my swift VDi stock tires, gurus what is the correct PSI, the guy at the shop suggested 32 and 30. Is it correct? Currently i have 32 and 30.please reply.
It depends on what size tyres you have:

1) If you have factory fitted OE tyres (165/70/R14) (usually JK tyres), Maruti recommends 36 psi front & 33 psi rear.

2)If you have upgraded the tyres (185/70/R14), Maruti recommends 32psi front & 29psi rear for Swift Dzire VDI, pls note that Swift Dzire VDI comes with 185/70/R14 tyres.

Since I have upgraded my Swift Vdi to 185 profile tyres, after all sorts of permutations & combinations I prefer 33psi front & 30psi rear.

Hope this helps
Old 25th May 2009, 20:23   #503
BHPian

Tyres : Car tyre safety advice - filling with nitrogen - The AA

There are a lot of articles on the net about this. I think its more of the placebo effect. But then, if it works for you and you believe its worth it, then nothing like that. This is one of those topics on which an agreement cannot be reached!!
Old 26th May 2009, 06:51   #504
BHPian

A statement from this article
Quote:
  • Slower rate of pressure loss – because nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules (which make up 21% of compressed air)
Leakage can occur through the tyre's inner liner ...Pure nitrogen might leak more slowly through the liner,
It means that the tyre walls act like a membrane thru which smaller particles (other gasses in air) leak faster than that of N2 molecules.
dosent that mean that over a period of time the %age of N2 within the walls of the tyre is increasing? So eventually say after a year or so, there is a fair chance that I may be running on almost 99% pure N2??

Edit: I think more than O2, CO2 and other components of air, its the H2O in air which is causing all the difference in ride quality/reducing tyre pressure and all.

Regards,
Old 26th May 2009, 11:38   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
On the contrary it would.
I have not noticed even a marginal decrease in tire noise after alignment of wheels. I do alignment every 4000 kms.

Even if there could be a reduction in noise, it cannot be attributed to alignment in my case as the alignment reading was fine - the technician was surprised to see the reading.

I find that the tire noise from goodyear GPS2 stock tire is very less after changing to nitrogen. I like a silent ride and this was a major grouse for me. I have decided to continue with nitrogen if the tire pressure is maintained for a few months, as claimed.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:47   #506
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have not noticed even a marginal decrease in tire noise after alignment of wheels. I do alignment every 4000 kms.
My comment was on whether a miss aligned wheel make more noise then a non aligned one.

Quote:
Even if there could be a reduction in noise, it cannot be attributed to alignment in my case as the alignment reading was fine - the technician was surprised to see the reading.
Good thing to know.

Quote:
I find that the tire noise from goodyear GPS2 stock tire is very less after changing to nitrogen. I like a silent ride and this was a major grouse for me. I have decided to continue with nitrogen if the tire pressure is maintained for a few months, as claimed.
Any technical reasoning as to how nitrogen can reduce tyre noise?
Old 26th May 2009, 11:50   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard of Sanda ka Tail(oil in Hindi) Nitrogen is like that oil but for tyres.
Sanda?
or
Sandas?

But really this gobbledegeek about pure nitrogen being really better than plain jane air .. Hats off to placebo based human beliefs
Old 26th May 2009, 11:59   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My comment was on whether a miss aligned wheel make more noise then a non aligned one.

Good thing to know.

Any technical reasoning as to how nitrogen can reduce tyre noise?
You know this reminds me of the everlasting argument audiophiles have about "snake oil" items like power conditioners and gold/silver cables etc. Which can bring in a "perceived" level of improvement in audio quality.

Another incident that comes to my mind is about the Blues/Rock guitar playing circles. There is this great musician - Eric Johnson, makes lovely music. However, he is extremely quirky.
The grapevine says he gets his overdrive pedal painted specifically in his preferred color, because he feels that brings the tone to life better than other color.

... oops, I know many ppl here wouldn't be able to gauge what I am saying ... but still
Old 26th May 2009, 12:00   #509
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Sanda?
or
Sandas?
LoL not that gross man...

Sanda Ka Tail, do a google on that line.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:23   #510
Senior - BHPian

Can any of the people who are claiming about less tire noise with nitrogen put some logic behind it? I'm very very curious to know how does that N2 affects the tire noise? Till now I was under the impression that tire noise is due to the tires (and it;s compound) not due to the hot air/cold air or whatever air inside. How can Goodyear's transforms to Michelins with injection of Nitrogen? It really beats me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks