Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 14:14   #541
Senior - BHPian

Recheck the tyre pressure, tyres may be over inflated or the ABS is not engaging properly. Tyres screeching would mean that the wheels are getting locked befor the ABS kicks in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I have filled my car tyre with Nitrogen and today I refilled after 3 months. I feel the tyres are hard and I could not press the tyre before refilling.
After filling nitrogen I found that the car tyre screeches before ABS comes into action which didn't happen before. I am not sure whether it is because of Nitrogen or some other problem.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:51   #542
srinivas9446

Nitrogen Filling For Tyres

Dear Guys,

I saw a poster here in Bangalore saying NITROGEN Filling.

Will anybody from the community let me know the the advantages and disadvantages of this nitrogen filling.

I look forward to opinions please.

Bye
srinivas

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th July 2009 at 18:31. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, thanks

Old 27th July 2009, 19:20   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas9446 View Post
Dear Guys,

I saw a poster here in Bangalore saying NITROGEN Filling.

Will anybody from the community let me know the the advantages and disadvantages of this nitrogen filling.

I look forward to opinions please.

Bye
srinivas
You'll find your answers right here on this forum and more specifically in this thread. Please use the Search function.

Rgds,
Old 28th July 2009, 11:43   #544
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ Srinivas : In a nutshell, no real proven advantage. Read the following post.

Quote:
Umm, isnt air like already 78 - 79% nitrogen? What gives with that additional percentage? From all that I have read (online and off), the only areas where benefits will show are on large trucks, racing cars and aircraft. No credible source has attested to any significant benefit of using nitro in the tyres of everyday use cars.

Lesser frequency of pressure checks are the only benefits that I have heard of. Well, I give the entire car a run-through (fluids, air etc.) everytime I fill up petrol so this really doesnt make a difference to me. Or to most of us.Sure, it would help in keeping tyre temperature low if you intend to cruise at 250 kph all day but............
Old 2nd August 2009, 15:57   #545
BHPian

In this thread I have read that one of the advantages of using Nitrogen is that the tyres hold their pressure for a longer duration than when filled with regular air but in my experience, it has not been so.

The first time I filled Nitrogen, the front left tyre lost pressure in about a month. The TPMS indicator came on. This was last year, 3 months after I bought the car. Spent about 100 dirhams (Rs.1200) to fill Nitrogen in all the 4 tyres. After the incident, I filled normal air only. Didn't see any drop in pressure at all.

This year in May, I decided to try Nitrogen again since there was a very attractive offer (25 dirhams only). One month later, the TPMS indicator came on again. When I checked, the pressure in all the 4 tyres had dropped to 21 psi. Topped up with normal air. So far its been steady.

If it was a pressure drop in just one tyre, I would have thought that the valve wasn't sealed properly or maybe some miscreants may have tried to fiddle with it. But this was a uniform pressure drop on all the 4 tyres. I guess I'll stick to regular air.

Last edited by wheeler : 2nd August 2009 at 15:58.
Old 2nd August 2009, 17:47   #546
BHPian

Most of my friends have filled in Nitrogen in their tyres and have reported zero leakage as well as smooth ride.

However, i am still not convinced about it and am waiting for some authentic findings on the same.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:17   #547
BHPian

There is a free nitrogen gas filled in chennai

location is towards airport 3rd petrol bunk on the left (Indian oil)
Attached Thumbnails
Inflating tyres with dry nitrogen-24082009094.jpg  

Old 26th August 2009, 13:26   #548
BHPian

I have been running my Swift on Nitrogen for the last 9 months. Only got it refilled twice though they say refilling to be done every 3 months. So you can say that it is definitely beneficial than filling with Air.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:08   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKIYA_2K12 View Post
There is a free nitrogen gas filled in chennai

location is towards airport 3rd petrol bunk on the left (Indian oil)
Nothing is free in India. I can see a * next to that statement and am sure there would be some conditions that apply.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:35   #550
BANNED

Yes Nitrogen is free in IOC outlets, whether it is company owned or dealers, Its an Valua added service for free, whom use IOC fuels at their pumps. In coimbatore there are almost 3-4 IOC outlets which provides this free service, i have used those. But no nitrogen in others like HP or BP.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:54   #551
BHPian

Nitrogen means less air refilling, plus quite a comfy ride. My car now actually is more shock absorbent than before, due to cushion effect of the nitrogen in the tyres!
Old 26th August 2009, 15:50   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I am still to find a nitrogen filling station in Navi Mumbai. Any one having pointers.
Try Best Tyres on Palm Beach Road, it's near City Centre/Palm Beach Galleria
Old 26th August 2009, 18:10   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Nothing is free in India. I can see a * next to that statement and am sure there would be some conditions that apply.
If the condition should be that one should have bought fuel there --- I would not mind.

Free or not, I'm sure the guy who does it is still hoping for his Rs10.
Old 26th August 2009, 22:32   #554
sun
BHPian

My Safari came out worse after Nitrogen filling (33psi all round). She was jumping around on even the slightest pot hole. I had to reduce to 30 psi all round to get her to drive comfortably. May change back to 'air' after a couple of days. Waste of money, I would say.
Old 26th August 2009, 23:31   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
This year in May, I decided to try Nitrogen again since there was a very attractive offer (25 dirhams only). One month later, the TPMS indicator came on again. When I checked, the pressure in all the 4 tyres had dropped to 21 psi. Topped up with normal air. So far its been steady.
Now you know why they were able to sell it cheap.
In my personal experience filling nitrogen has given me 0 leakage. It's been 4 months since i filled it and till now they're still holding tight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks