Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 23:35   #556
BHPian

where can I get it near thiruvalla, anybody from kottayam who has Nitrogen ??
is there a brand name attached to this? I mean if Indian Oil has them at their pumps..?
Old 26th August 2009, 23:42   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
where can I get it near thiruvalla, anybody from kottayam who has Nitrogen ??
is there a brand name attached to this? I mean if Indian Oil has them at their pumps..?
New Bharath Tyres, which has branches at several town in Kerala offers it. Here it is near to my office and they charge Rs.300/-. Suggested me several times but I refused.
Old 26th August 2009, 23:44   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Nitrogen means less air refilling, plus quite a comfy ride. My car now actually is more shock absorbent than before, due to cushion effect of the nitrogen in the tyres!
Nitrogen doesn't have any special cushioning effect. It only reduces oxidation and the amount of air seeping out as well as helping to keep the tire cool.
Old 26th August 2009, 23:46   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
New Bharath Tyres, which has branches at several town in Kerala offers it. Here it is near to my office and they charge Rs.300/-. Suggested me several times but I refused.
I pass by Kollam while i drive to TvM where is New Bharath tyres located in Kollam?
Old 27th August 2009, 00:15   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
I pass by Kollam while i drive to TvM where is New Bharath tyres located in Kollam?
About half km before you reach Kollam/Chinnakkada on the left side beside the Reliance building.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:08   #561
BHPian

It is disheartening to see people still extolling false virtues of nitrogen. It appears to me that most of the people have not even taken the pain to read this thread completely, or conveniently skipped the posts which discusses the technical aspects.

It goes on to show that for most people hearsay still rules over the head.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:02   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
It is disheartening to see people still extolling false virtues of nitrogen. It appears to me that most of the people have not even taken the pain to read this thread completely, or conveniently skipped the posts which discusses the technical aspects.

It goes on to show that for most people hearsay still rules over the head.
If it's completely useless then would you care to explain the 0 loss of pressure in my tires after the fill which was 4 months ago?
Old 27th August 2009, 12:00   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
If it's completely useless then would you care to explain the 0 loss of pressure in my tires after the fill which was 4 months ago?
The only benefit that users have been stating consistenly is that they need to refill less often. As far as I can see there doesn't seem to be any other noticeable benefit. Considering that is true, you could very well fill the tyres to 20% above the regular tyre pressure. After a few days the other gases will leak leaving behind pure nitrogen. And the tyre pressure would come down to the recommended pressure. So you would have the benefit of nitrogen filled tyres minus the cost.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:13   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Considering that is true, you could very well fill the tyres to 20% above the regular tyre pressure. After a few days the other gases will leak leaving behind pure nitrogen. And the tyre pressure would come down to the recommended pressure. So you would have the benefit of nitrogen filled tyres minus the cost..
So you mean whenever there's a pressure loss in your tyres, all gases except nitrogen leak from the tyres? I didn't know air disintegrates while leaking from the tyres! New lesson in chemistry!

Last edited by asethi : 27th August 2009 at 12:18. Reason: Quoted wrong message!
Old 27th August 2009, 12:59   #565
BANNED

I fill in Nitrogen only for the convenience as I do it once in 3 weeks and not every week for air. Also it cost INR 20 to "Top-Up" with Nitrogen.
I haven't seen any difference with Nitrogen
Old 27th August 2009, 13:01   #566
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't know air disintegrates while leaking from the tyres! New lesson in chemistry!
Yeah, maybe I am wrong. And maybe air is a type of molecule after all and not a homogenous mixture like many people are led to believe. There is always a new lesson to be learnt every day.
Old 27th August 2009, 13:35   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
The only benefit that users have been stating consistenly is that they need to refill less often. As far as I can see there doesn't seem to be any other noticeable benefit. Considering that is true, you could very well fill the tyres to 20% above the regular tyre pressure. After a few days the other gases will leak leaving behind pure nitrogen. And the tyre pressure would come down to the recommended pressure. So you would have the benefit of nitrogen filled tyres minus the cost.
Quote:
So you mean whenever there's a pressure loss in your tyres, all gases except nitrogen leak from the tyres? I didn't know air disintegrates while leaking from the tyres! New lesson in chemistry!
I do think watashi75 has a point. When you lose air pressure you're effectively losing the molecules in air other than nitrogen, if all the technical stuff is right. So if we fill up with extra air then eventually we might end up with higher nitrogen content in the air left in the tire.

@asethi Air does disintegrate when it's flow is blocked. Smaller particles pass through while larger particles remain at the barrier, as long as the cohesion between the particles isn't too high. It's how an air filter works.
Old 28th August 2009, 02:52   #568
BHPian

The Chemistry may be right but is it going to work? has anybody tried it? I'm interested in the economics too I mean if all I need to is fill more air, hey I'm ready to do that but if I have to do the same every weekend, so that I have Nitrogen, then that doesn't Add up!! LOL
Old 17th September 2009, 19:27   #569

I have been using Nitrogen for my cars for the past 5 yrs. Even if you go in for a refill the nitrogen with be filled with a mixture of air. U cannot use 100% Nitrogen. If you fill more than given PSI for your car tyre u may end up weakening the Wheel Bearing, Lower arm, Suspension.. How ??.. When the Tyre is inflate beyond normal, every time you hit a bump or rough patches of the road the tyre will not take 80% of the impact which normally does and this will in-turn be absorbed by the mentioned components. I have had hands on exp.

Nitrogen helps in slowing down the process of deflation while ur having a puncture and absorb more of the vibrations produced by rough roads. For Each tyre it will cost you Rs.50 for each refill per wheel Rs.10. Refill required at least once in 3 weeks.
Old 17th September 2009, 22:08   #570
BHPian

Nitrogen is catching on fast. Was at the new Bimal workshop near Yelahanka for my scheduled service. They were glad to do the nitogen fill free of cost.
Did observe that PSI dropped by 1 during rains, and increses by 1 when the roads are dry. Is that due to Nitrogen? I Could monitor this through the TPMS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks