Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 15:53   #706
Senior - BHPian

Thanks rakowli,

I know that pump too they have some nice people there. Used to visit a client's office just opposite the pump/temple and they would let me park there even if parking space allocated to the client was already occupied.

My client has moved so I do not get to park there anymore especially when I visit the temple. But now that you are in the vicinity hmmm...

Will the one smiley do or should I add another one
Old 31st March 2010, 14:29   #707
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, i have a query. i had recently filled nitrogen in my scorpio's tyres. mahindra recommends 32 psi for air. i filled 32 psi of nitrogen in all tyres. however, after that the ride quality became a bit harsh & stiff.

i spoke to a friend of mine who is apparently a professor & he said that since density of nitrogen is more than air, you should actually fill less of nitrogen as compared to air. is this true?

anyways, i just went to the tyre shop again thinking that i would reduce the pressure to 31 psi but the technician recommended me to reduce it to 30 psi stating that all scorpio owners fill 30 psi. i was a bit hesistant at first but recollecting what my friend had said, i asked him to reduce till 30 psi thinking that it will be equivalent to 31 psi of air. now the ride is back to normal & very comfortable.

is this okay or will this have any adverse effect on the tyres?
Old 31st March 2010, 15:24   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hey guys, i have a query. i had recently filled nitrogen in my scorpio's tyres. mahindra recommends 32 psi for air. i filled 32 psi of nitrogen in all tyres. however, after that the ride quality became a bit harsh & stiff.

i spoke to a friend of mine who is apparently a professor & he said that since density of nitrogen is more than air, you should actually fill less of nitrogen as compared to air. is this true?

anyways, i just went to the tyre shop again thinking that i would reduce the pressure to 31 psi but the technician recommended me to reduce it to 30 psi stating that all scorpio owners fill 30 psi. i was a bit hesistant at first but recollecting what my friend had said, i asked him to reduce till 30 psi thinking that it will be equivalent to 31 psi of air. now the ride is back to normal & very comfortable.

is this okay or will this have any adverse effect on the tyres?
Professor in Humanities? (No disrespect to any academic stream as such)
Even a science undergrad knows that 78% of air = nitrogen.
AND Nitrogen is LIGHTER than air, not heavier.

And gas being light or heavy has got nothing to do with pressure exerted on tyres. Pressure is pressure - you measure it in psi or pascals or kg/cm2 nothing to do with the constituents of the gas.

Now just to test the scientific temper of your friend - what pressure he recommends for nitrogen compared to air? And calculations for the same.

Practically speaking, I believe, in your case, you've just seen a perfect example of different calibrations (or non-calibrations) used by the gauge vendors.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2010, 17:44   #709
BHPian

Its not nitrogen that matters, the correctness of the gauge matters.

Let me tell you my experience. I can see there are differences. When I fill it from fuel bunk is say 33 psi. But the fellow near to my house says its 30 psi. While I went to long drive of 900KM I felt tyre noise increased. So I got it checked on highway. That guy's gauge measured it 26. After topping up for 33 psi, on returning from tour, inital fuel bunk is showed 40 psi. So I settle at 35 psi of petrol bunk's gauge. I feel okay with this AIR pressure in tyre, smooth ride and less noisy.

I think nitrogen filling machines may be having more accurate gauges. And that could be the effect.
Old 31st March 2010, 18:00   #710
Senior - BHPian

@ alpha1: since i had my doubts regarding this, i posted it here.

@ omishra: now i am keeping my car's tyre pressure at 30 psi whereas the recommended pressure is 32 psi. so will it harm the tyre in any way?
Old 31st March 2010, 19:18   #711
BHPian

Quote:
@ omishra: now i am keeping my car's tyre pressure at 30 psi whereas the recommended pressure is 32 psi. so will it harm the tyre in any way?
For tyres, I do not see any issue by -2 psi for city ride. Naturally if larger tyre surface contacts with road then more friction it produces & it wears out fast. But not with a mere 2 psi difference.

Less pressure <90% of recommonded value affects surely affects. (tyre wear, fuel economy and ride experience by increased tyre noise.)

For highway, you will feel some pull while accelerating or unable keep speed on straight road. Keep +3 psi more for highway.
omishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2010, 21:48   #712
BHPian

If you have fitted NOS system in your car and if you need more NOS just connect a Pipe to the tyre and the NOS cylinder.
Old 1st April 2010, 09:32   #713
Senior - BHPian

but you cannot drive a car with a deflated tyre!!!
Old 1st April 2010, 10:01   #714
BHPian

Quote:
but you cannot drive a car with a deflated tyre!!!
It was a joke. Dude !
Old 1st April 2010, 10:08   #715
Senior - BHPian

even my exclamation marks mean the same buddy !!!
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:35   #716
Senior - BHPian

Been using nitrogen for last few months; for last 18,000kms. Never filled/topped up during this period. I went to check last day and just saw 1psi loss. Paid Rs.10 to top up all 4 tyres which I think is very decent. ( I gave the tyre gusy 100rs expecting him to give me 60rs back )

This time I filled up 30 for front and 35 for rear for my Tata Safari.
Old 24th April 2010, 21:32   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I went to check last day and just saw 1psi loss.
That's precisely why I fill up Nitrogen despite all "Scientific" explanations here! I fill 33 PSI instead of the regular 32 PSI and I am set for atleast 2 months with an air pump in the boot.
Old 24th April 2010, 21:43   #718
BHPian

1 PSI loss in 2.5 months, better ride, cooler tires

I filled Nitrogen in my Altis in Feb, 31 psi instead of recommended 30 psi (only to avoid an early refill because the pump charges Rs 50 for a top up).

The benefits which I have observed are:-

- no tire pressure variation during or after a long drive,
- no tire heating,
- better, more comfortable ride
- No frequent top ups

the only downside is - steep charges of Rs 50 demanded for every top up.

Can any body tell me any other Nitrogen pump in Noida or Delhi
Old 24th April 2010, 22:22   #719
BHPian

The reliance autozone, hsr layout filled my tyres with dry nitrogen freely. They used to serve like this sometime.

I am running on michelins with nitrogen inside but feel the availablity should be incrased to all fuel stations like how we fill regular air now.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:43   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Can any body tell me any other Nitrogen pump in Noida or Delhi
Servicecircle: HP Petrol Pump at Ashram Chowk on NH-2 on the Faridabad side (on your left just after you've left the intersection while going towards Fbd). I fill up 99% of diesel / petrol at this pump because its 2 km from my place.

However, I don't fill up Nitrogen here. Long story. I fill up at Gurgaon because this pump doesn't consider it to be a refill if originally filled from some other place so I continue refills at Gurgaon at Rs 10/- per tyre. I end up going to Gurgaon every couple of weeks anyway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks