Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2019, 23:24   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

Inflating tyres with dry nitrogen

Interesting to see this happen in India. For the life of me I would not know where I could get nitrogen here in Europe. I have never seen it advertised, ever.

So I googled a bit, looks like some of the quick fitters offer it as option when you get new tyres.

None of the petrol stations I come across have it on offer.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 22nd October 2019 at 23:26.
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 00:01   #797
Team-BHP Support

Re: Inflating tyres with dry nitrogen

I run an ultra-special blend, because I freely intermix Nitrogen and regular air. My criteria is whatever queue is shortest on the day
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 12:09   #798
BHPian

Experience with Nitrogen.

All 4 tires were filled with Nitrogen during Diwali when i changed them to XM2's- filled using Bosch NTI 101 in our company.

Checked cold tire pressure today and there was no variation. All 4 tires were running 31 psi, same what they were filled with.

Looks like Nitrogen retains tire pressure better than regular air. Other than that there is not much of a difference.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 12:30   #799
BANNED

All 5 tyres of my car are on Nitrogen. Now I can sense the need to fill it up.

Of course, all Nitrogen filling stations are closed and all I have a regular air pump that fill up common air. The pump is old one and good for top up only, it takes half an hour to fill up each tyre from 0 pressure.

Is it OK to top up the tyres with regular air and to have blend of Nitrogen and regular air in tyre? What you guys are following to address this?
Old 1st April 2020, 12:51   #800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
None of the petrol stations I come across have it on offer.
Jeroen
Which is quite logical also IMHO. Here in India we have Nitrogen filling huts almost at all petrol stations in metro areas. Nobody really validates if they are separating & filling nitrogen or the same air inlet is used for the pumps driving normal air or "Nitrogen".
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Is it OK to top up the tyres with regular air and to have blend of Nitrogen and regular air in tyre? What you guys are following to address this?
It is absolutely fine. Go ahead and fill up normal air. It has no risks of any kind - and remember - most of the normal air is Nitrogen.

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st April 2020 at 12:54.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 13:19   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Is it OK to top up the tyres with regular air and to have blend of Nitrogen and regular air in tyre?
You should measure amount of regular air (in psi) that you would add in tyre to arrive at new nitrogen levels in the tyre. Add up air(in psi) with 78% nitrogen & previously filled nitrogen (in psi) to calculate new nitrogen % in the tyre. Please consult Sheldon Cooper if you get stuck in calculations.

Quote:
What you guys are following to address this?
Just add regular air (78% nitrogen) and forget about it. With reduced pollution levels due to lock-down, regular air would be at its purest level it can be.
sukiwa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 15:21   #802
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Hi,
I realise this is an old thread. From a safety point of view, it would be stupid to only check tyre pressures every 6 months, just because they have been filled with nitrogen.
Tyres pressures should be checked weekly. Tyres are the contact with the road. Incorrect pressures affect braking, handling, fuel economy and tyre failure from over/under pressure.

As a motorcyclist, I check my tyre pressures every time I go for a ride. When you only have 2 wheels you soon realise how important tyre pressure and condition are.
To make it easy I have fitted tyre pressure sensing valve caps. By simply looking at the valve cap I can see green/amber or red, which tell me if the pressure needs adjusting. These caps are available for all types of wheel, car, van, 2 wheeler etc. They are simple, cheap and potentially life saving.
Just Google "tyre pressure valve caps". I have used the simple non-electric versions for over 20 years. You buy caps that match the pressure you should have in your tyres.

Final point, tyres are different.
If you have fitted the tyres specified by the vehicle maker, use the pressures recommended in the operators manual.
If you have fitted a different brand, check with the tyre manufacturer to see if they have given a recommended pressure for your vehicle !!!

As an example, I have fitted Avon tyres to my motorcycle. Avon recommends 41psi (2.8bar) for my make/model of motorcycle. Honda specifies 33psi (2.3bar) in the operators manual.
Running a motorcycle with pressures that are 20% lower than recommended is extremely dangerous. SO CHECK YOUR TYRE PRESSURES ARE CORRECT
Redex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 18:11   #803
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
You should measure amount of regular air (in psi) that you would add in tyre to arrive at new nitrogen levels in the tyre. Add up air(in psi) with 78% nitrogen & previously filled nitrogen (in psi) to calculate new nitrogen % in the tyre. Please consult Sheldon Cooper if you get stuck in calculations.

. I forgot to check atmospheric temperature, now I have to recalculate.

Still laughing my friend. We need such comments to get over this lock down thing.

Thank you.
PetrolRider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:42   #804
Senior - BHPian

Hi this is somewhat OT and actually a flight of fantasy.

The prevailing pandemic situation with an acute shortage of oxygen makes me asking the forum the following question: can't we convert those nitrogen generator/inflator machines to generate oxygen ? These machines are now ubiquitous. As far as I know the principle behind the operation of these is isolating Nitrogen from air.

Well, can't they be made to isolate Oxygen instead?
sandeepmdas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 16:08   #805
BHPian

Guys. I really need help on this one.
I've bought a Renault Kiger. It's been 2 weeks. I'm still not conformable with the ride being bumpy.
I changed the air in all 4 tyres to nitrogen by deflation method.
My confusion is this. When I check the psi on the nitrogen meter at the pump. It's showing 32 psi. All 4 tyres. When I check on the air dispensing pump (right next to it). It shows 36 psi?? On all 4 tyres? This is so confusing.
The recommended pressure is 36 psi. (mentioned on the driver door).
Please help.
Old 19th August 2021, 22:50   #806
BHPian

Hi

I was thinking of filling up nitrogen in all tyres of my car. The car is a 2020 Tata Nexon and has a TPMS.

Does anyone have experience of filling up nitrogen in the tyres of cars having TPMS? How does TPMS react? Any feedback/suggestions would be welcome.

I do Mumbai Pune Mumbai runs on almost every weekend and don't want to try it before I'm absolutely sure. So thought of asking here.

Thanks
Sameer
Old 19th August 2021, 23:44   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post
Does anyone have experience of filling up nitrogen in the tyres of cars having TPMS? How does TPMS react? Any feedback/suggestions would be welcome.
We have filled NO2 in our EcoSport equipped with TPMS. It’s been a couple of months and I see no changes on the functioning of TPMS, it works as desired.
Though never compared tyre readings between normal air and nitrogen after long runs, and how TPMS reacts to it.
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 02:01   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post
Hi

I was thinking of filling up nitrogen in all tyres of my car. The car is a 2020 Tata Nexon and has a TPMS.

I do Mumbai Pune Mumbai runs on almost every weekend and don't want to try it before I'm absolutely sure. So thought of asking here.

Thanks
Sameer
You can go ahead with filling Nitrogen. It won't affect the TPMS readings.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 12:50   #809
BHPian

I have never filled (or believed in) Nitrogen filling ever since I started driving. Few days ago I got a puncture filled by a tyre shop and also had all the tyres deflated completely and then filled with nitrogen.

Don't know why but feel like there is a positive improvement in road noise and ride quality, everything else constant - is this true or this my mind playing games :-)
Old 17th July 2022, 19:18   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
I have never filled (or believed in) Nitrogen filling ever since I started driving. Few days ago I got a puncture filled by a tyre shop and also had all the tyres deflated completely and then filled with nitrogen.

Don't know why but feel like there is a positive improvement in road noise and ride quality, everything else constant - is this true or this my mind playing games :-)
After deliberating for almost 3 months, I too have finally taken the plunge.

Let's drive it a month and then compare notes
dvl666 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed