Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2009, 15:59   #646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Try it, it costs less than a visit to the petrol pump. Look at it this way - filling N2 in one tyre costs a little less than filling 1 litre of petrol, we fill petrol all our lives. Why not try N2 once.

Cheers,
Seems like saying that the age of miracles is not yet over. The logic still eludes me. Doesn't the air need be removed fully before 100% N2 can be filled?
Old 14th November 2009, 16:32   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Seems like saying that the age of miracles is not yet over. The logic still eludes me. Doesn't the air need be removed fully before 100% N2 can be filled?
Some of the IOCL bunks in chennai fill free nitrogen when you fill xtra premium fuel for a minimum of Rs.500. When they fill it for the first time they do deflate the tyres completely before filling it up with Nitrogen.
Old 14th November 2009, 16:57   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Those Nitrogen filling machines have a suction device built in them. Air is removed. No miracles at work here.

Cheers,
Old 14th November 2009, 17:21   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Those Nitrogen filling machines have a suction device built in them. Air is removed. No miracles at work here.

Cheers,
Thanks for the clarification. Now surely going to try it. By the way, here they charge Rs.300/-
Old 14th November 2009, 22:24   #650
Senior - BHPian

In Delhi, HP pumps were charging Rs 50/- per tyre (with two free top-ups at 1 month/ 3000 km intervals whichever came earlier) and Rs 15/- per tyre for top-up after the first two free ones.

Now that the HP pump guy has disappeared, I have located a guy in Gurgaon who charges Rs 20/- per tyre for filling and Rs 10/- per tyre for top-ups. Typically I get a top-up in 30-45 days. So it costs me Rs 50/- instead of Rs 75/- for top-ups.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:41   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
F1 cars and airplanes use nitrogen (non inflammable gas) for just one reason - its non-inflammable properties.

Should things go wrong, a wheel fire is less likely - To quote from this Boeing publication AERO : Wheel and Tire Servicing

"In addition, Boeing has received reports of three confirmed cases and other suspected cases in which a wheel/tire assembly exploded when the oxygen in air-filled tires combined with volatile gases given off by a severely overheated tire. In one case, the tire became overheated as a result of a dragging brake, and the wheel/tire assembly exploded when it reached the auto-ignition temperature. In another case, a wheel/tire assembly explosion in the wheel well during flight was suspected in the catastrophic loss of one airplane. A similar explosion caused severe damage to two others."

Such extreme temperatures are never reached in the average car. Hence Nitrogen has very little benefits for the average car's tyres.
There is good info about this here:Nitrogen in Tyres: Motoring Technical matters forum, including the above quote from Boeing.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:50   #652
BHPian

After the Advice of Architect,

My car has gone for Nitrogen Filling @ 40 per tyre & top up@10 per tyre.

The Top up time frame is normally 45 days.I have faced no issues with Nitrogen up till now.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:02   #653
BHPian

to determine facts about air and nitrogen.

How many of you work with compressed air ? Your tyre is also a rough equivalent of the compressor receiver. Please put forward your arguments in support of air or nitrogen.

Those of who do will know why i asked. Please refrain from posting for 2 weeks.

Let us get some expert answers before taking this issue further.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:34   #654
BHPian

Seeing this thread, I filled my bike FZ-S with Nitrogen. With in a week my bike had two punctures. Dont know if its co-incident or nitrogen is doing something
Old 10th December 2009, 13:12   #655
BHPian

Hi,

I changed to Nitrogen 3 months back. Checked the pressure few days back and nothing less, same reading 33 psi for my WangenR. I am happy, i don't have to stand in the Q frequently.

Also, tyer pressure is one of the main factor for FE, and if we have correct pressure, i i am sure we will be able to maintain good FE
Old 10th December 2009, 19:05   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
How many of you work with compressed air ? Your tyre is also a rough equivalent of the compressor receiver. Please put forward your arguments in support of air or nitrogen.

Those of who do will know why i asked. Please refrain from posting for 2 weeks.

Let us get some expert answers before taking this issue further.
My primary reason for going with Nitrogen is considerable difference in top-up times as I have mentioned earlier. The tyres run cooler on long highway runs, although I cannot quantify that.

I can get into technical and scientific discussion which disprove both of this, but the practical pleasure of not having to fill up air at petrol pump (esp because I hit the pump at 9.00 pm every day) is worth the expense.
Old 10th December 2009, 19:14   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
In Delhi, HP pumps were charging Rs 50/- per tyre (with two free top-ups at 1 month/ 3000 km intervals whichever came earlier) and Rs 15/- per tyre for top-up after the first two free ones.

Now that the HP pump guy has disappeared, I have located a guy in Gurgaon who charges Rs 20/- per tyre for filling and Rs 10/- per tyre for top-ups. Typically I get a top-up in 30-45 days. So it costs me Rs 50/- instead of Rs 75/- for top-ups.
hi architect. can u give me the name and address/location of the guy in gurgaon. my dad lives there and it will be good for the Indogo XL Classic he has.
Old 11th December 2009, 01:01   #658
Senior - BHPian

Mahadev tyres Gurgaon 2347111 (add 0124). Don't remember the sector, it is 2 km from Expressway turning left into a road just after IFFCO chowk going towards Delhi (from the Service lane). Best to call up and confirm address.

And don't blame for spreading the nitrogen disease.
Old 11th December 2009, 08:57   #659
BHPian

I upgraded my Alto Tyres to Michelin XM1+ last week and filled Nitrogen in them.
The Tyre Dealer filled it free of charge. I had some Quesries regaring Nirtogen Filling :

1) How frequently should i visit the Tyre Shop for checking Nitrogen?

2) I guess from now on, it will be Nitrogen Top-up, so what are the charges for Top-up. And in case the Tyre Pressure does not decrease, do they still charge you for checking ?

3) I am going outstation next Week in my Car. Should i get the Tyre Pressure checked, even though i filled Nitrogen just 10 Days ago?
Old 11th December 2009, 09:02   #660
Senior - BHPian

Hi guy,

I too run with nitrogen. It was told the pressure check once in 3 months will do. Mine is 45 days old fill. I traveled 1000 kms with out recheck. It is fine. You don't have to check before your long tour. We have to top up with Nitrogen only. I too should explore the top up charges. If we fill xtra mile diesel or speed petron for 1000 and 500 some bulks do free of cost.

Most Viewed