Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 15:22   #1531
BHPian

Guys I am not happy with the low end pickup of my ohc. I have a custom header from automech and a straight thru design muffler designed by a friend of mine in his workshop. Also I have advanced my ignition timing to reduce the pickup lag. Inspite of these I feel sluggishness in 2nd 3rd gears in city driving below 2k rpm. Most power is generated after 3.5k rpm. I am thinking of getting an after market performance filter. Automech has quoted 7.5k for a piper cross conical filter. Is it worth the money? Any suggestions guys?
Old 9th April 2013, 16:03   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ofil4us View Post

Help ,I'm a newbie. Can't PM
have sent you an email. have sent you an email. (min count criteria)
Old 9th April 2013, 16:24   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
Guys I am not happy with the low end pickup of my ohc. I have a custom header from automech and a straight thru design muffler designed by a friend of mine in his workshop. Also I have advanced my ignition timing to reduce the pickup lag. Inspite of these I feel sluggishness in 2nd 3rd gears in city driving below 2k rpm. Most power is generated after 3.5k rpm. I am thinking of getting an after market performance filter. Automech has quoted 7.5k for a piper cross conical filter. Is it worth the money? Any suggestions guys?
The older citys were known for poor low end power. Since you already got a FFE, i dont think an air filter will help you 'boost' power if thats what you want. Rather spend on some custom remaps and maybe you would have what you desire.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 16:54   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
The older citys were known for poor low end power. Since you already got a FFE, i dont think an air filter will help you 'boost' power if thats what you want. Rather spend on some custom remaps and maybe you would have what you desire.
Quote:

Firstly check if your FFE is tuned for low end
Next you should complete the loop by adding the filter enlarging the TB and using good plugs and cables.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 18:26   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post

Firstly check if your FFE is tuned for low end
Next you should complete the loop by adding the filter enlarging the TB and using good plugs and cables.
Yeah FFE is tuned for low end as it is 4x2x1 with small diameter primary pipes. Plugs are ngk ones but dont know if they are original. Wires are aftermarket. Also the exhaust though loud sounds like a fart can. I always wanted the deep throaty growling sound with bass. If I retard the timing I get a somewhat growling sound but on advanced timing sounds like crackers.
Old 16th April 2013, 00:02   #1536
BHPian

My Check Engine Light (CEL) came on today. The engine was idling at a very low RPM at around 100 instead of the usual 800. So I took the car to the Honda service center and they told me the O2 sensor needs to be replaced. They tested it by putting in a new sensor and the engine was back to normal.

I asked them the price of the sensor and they told me that it costs about an arm and a leg. Ok, actually they said it costs 22,000

Does anyone know where in Hyderabad I can find a replacement sensor at a reasonable price? I want an original part.
Old 16th April 2013, 08:44   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
... the O2 sensor needs to be replaced... they said it costs 22,000
Does anyone know where in Hyderabad I can find a replacement sensor at a reasonable price? I want an original part.
Bowser,
you dont have to spend 22K,
here is the link for the original part,
I, along with many others on this forum/ thread, ordered for this, and happily replaced the O2sensor..
you can order it and get it delivered to your door step in Hyd.
I ordered it and shipped it to my brother who was traveling to India a week from then.
The denso link is from the manufacture
The Amazon link has delivery to India too.
All the best on getting this for 1/10th of the quoted price

http://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=18065

http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-4099..._ee_p_t_1_9N85

Cheers!
johnda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 11:10   #1538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Bowser,
you dont have to spend 22K,
here is the link for the original part,
I, along with many others on this forum/ thread, ordered for this, and happily replaced the O2sensor..
you can order it and get it delivered to your door step in Hyd.
I ordered it and shipped it to my brother who was traveling to India a week from then.
The denso link is from the manufacture
The Amazon link has delivery to India too.
All the best on getting this for 1/10th of the quoted price

http://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=18065

http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-4099..._ee_p_t_1_9N85

Cheers!
Thanks! Is it a 100% perfect fit? Tread of the screw, connector, etc.

Any idea if I will have to pay import duty if I get it shipped to India from Amazon?

Last edited by bowser : 16th April 2013 at 11:24.
Old 16th April 2013, 11:30   #1539
BHPian

Guys any solution for making my freeflow sound more sporty and less farty.
Old 16th April 2013, 14:17   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys any solution for making my freeflow sound more sporty and less farty.
Take it to Automech or any other exhaust guy like maybe BAR. They can remove the exhaust and fill in glasswool which is generally used inside the mufflers to 'muffle' the sound. You can get the desired result by adding / removing the glasswool.

I had mailed Automech sometime back as i wanted to get rid of the sound my Gypsy FFE makes and he had replied that it can be done, so try it out.
Old 16th April 2013, 16:34   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Is it a 100% perfect fit? Tread of the screw, connector, etc.

Any idea if I will have to pay import duty if I get it shipped to India from Amazon?
It works perfect in terms of tread of the screw , number of wires and connector. You just have to remove the old one and fix it . I bought it from Amazon 6 months back they shipped it to Kerala , replaced from a friendly neighborhood garage for Rs 100. Yes you have to pay import duty but that will be less than 10 $ . All inclusive part cost , shipping & import tax I paid about Rs 3300 using my credit card. I am very much satisfied with its performance and there is no Check Engine Light after the replacement. Some time back I uploaded the copy of Invoice in this forum.

Last edited by vinu_pm : 16th April 2013 at 16:36.
Old 16th April 2013, 17:35   #1542
BHPian

Guys SOS!! My weird engine rpm problem has returned.

This time i got the TB completely cleaned in my presence by my mechanic and he assured me the TB was fine. He thinks it's a "switch" or "sensor" (in mechanic speak) that's causing this issue.

The trouble im facing is this.. the idle rpm has shifted slightly to the lower side. Thats when the car is idle or at a stop.

The other issue is when the car is in motion and changing gears, the rpm seems to "stick" at 1500 and the drop from 1500 to normal idle happens only after the car comes to a complete stop and takes a couple of seconds. In fact even if the car is moving at 0-5 kmph (crawling) the rpm will take a long time to drop at 1500 so in effect the engine seems to be in perpetual "drive" mode. Albeit the effect has been little or no engine rev loss between gear shifts.. but i know this is NOT NORMAL behaviour for the car. Changing gears does not cause a normal drop in rpm and the rpm remains rather level at 1300/1500 rpm "Sticky" if not raises slightly.

Has anyone had this "sticky" rpm issue before and knows whats to blame for it??

My mechanic also got a second opinion from another mechanic who works for one of the HONDA A.S.S and he too opined it was a valve or sensor that's causing the mismatch in the throttle open/close position and timing.

Guys.. do i need to get the TB changed?? (Indicative prices are around 5k iirc) or is it something else that's causing this sticky rpm?? I don't believe it can be the accelerator cable spring jamming could it??

Would sincerely appreciate some help cos my FE has gone to hell and the driving response of the engine feels stressed and remains raised at slow speeds/city traffic (which in turn is causing the horrible FE)

Last edited by Vandit : 16th April 2013 at 17:38.
Old 16th April 2013, 17:43   #1543
BHPian

Quote:
Well the shipping from amazon kinda includes it... they might ask if you want to add duty, it shouldn't be much for $30.

Try to get it tru a friend traveling down, i have folks leaving this friday, too late or else could have helped.
Old 16th April 2013, 18:38   #1544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Guys SOS!! My weird engine rpm problem has returned.

I don't believe it can be the accelerator cable spring jamming could it??

Would sincerely appreciate some help cos my FE has gone to hell and the driving response of the engine feels stressed and remains raised at slow speeds/city traffic (which in turn is causing the horrible FE)
It can very well be the accelerator cable issue. When i had gone to test drive my Vtec, the RPMs wouldnt come down easily. I had told the dealer about this and he got the cable changed and till date no 'sticky' issues.

Issues at times can be basic and not always with the engine so wouldnt hurt to check this as well.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 19:00   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
It can very well be the accelerator cable issue. When i had gone to test drive my Vtec, the RPMs wouldnt come down easily. I had told the dealer about this and he got the cable changed and till date no 'sticky' issues.

Issues at times can be basic and not always with the engine so wouldnt hurt to check this as well.
I will get it checked & revert. Would still welcome more pointers.

Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks