Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:17   #136
Senior - BHPian

Try Sujok. Worked for me like a charm.

Though I desperately need to lose more weight and correct my posture asap, but as of now, life's painless. Would only cost a fraction.

PS: I spent 2 months in nov 07 running around with a lumbar belt - only posture correction worked. Here I haven't even done anything on that line yet
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:06   #137
BHPian

I had the same problem, after doing about 3000 kms drive, came back and lifted my daughter and got a slip disc, was in bed for a long time. The only way to see that you dont get back pain while driving is too make sure that you stop every hour and take a small walk for atleast 5-10 minutes. I have been doing this everytime I travel out and its worked for me. Also never lift any heavy weights anymore. At all costs. Reduce your weight and do your workout or walks every day.
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:26   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Three tipsfrom a lifetime sufferer that is now out of it.
1. Lose the belly. Your back carries it around. Your heart will also be grateful
2. Be aware of the right way and the wrong way to lift and move heavy stuff
3. Never, never, never operate to get relief
Agree with you on first 2 points but not 3rd. After suffering from slipdisc for 3 years, I finally got it operated in Mar 2001 from Apollo and touch-wood its doing pretty good after that. I still take care of points 1 and 2 but getting it operated was the best thing for me at that time as it helped me immensely to get back to somewhat normal life-style
Old 22nd July 2009, 17:56   #139
Senior - BHPian

Did you try acupuncture/Sujok? It does help you maintain a pain-free life minus all of the above 3 points - atleast has helped me, for almost a month now. Long term changes are due, yes - but I can work on them slowly and most importantly, painlessly.
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:27   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You mean it was all that money causing the pain?!
Sir, the wallet in back pocket is the top most cause of back pain as per the doctors. Having experienced its effect myself, I can say that without any hitch.

Last year, Ignoring lower back pains (which were mild enough to be ignored initially) led to SCITICA pain in my right leg. Doctors at Fortis hospital advised me for an operation, followed by a four month long therapy (for which I refused eventually and got the treatment from an expert in scitica muscle pain). Not only I was in bed for one month but 2 months after that too my leg muscles would get tortured if I pressed the accelerator in my car. I had learnt driving mostly with left only. The reason for this pain were explained as (in my case):

1. Wallet in back pocket especially while sitting & driving.
2. Lack of exercise, walking
3. Long drives ( I drove for 4200 km in a span of 8 days which included a continuous 19 hours strech with just one break )
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:44   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Sir, the wallet in back pocket is the top most cause of back pain as per the doctors.
Breezydrive, I do not for a moment doubt the veracity of that belief.
My remark had been made in jest.
However, there is an ironic truth in it too - a wallet has to be fat to cause such injury! An impoverished, thin wallet never did any harm to anyone, LOL!!
Old 30th July 2009, 08:27   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I asked him to remove his wallet from his back poket and then drive and he did mention that the pain simply vanished!
I've experienced this too. But the pain is usually on the side I wear my wallet. And the size of the wallet doesn't matter

I would also recommend using comfortable, soft cotton pants on long drives. I prefer sweat pants. Irrespective of what you wear make sure you sit comfortably. Empty your pockets - avoid keeping stuff like mobile phones, etc. in your trouser pockets.
Old 2nd August 2009, 18:05   #143
BHPian

Hi I am 5'10''

Hi at 5'10'' I have driven 800 from 96 to 04 and Alto lxi with remote boot lid opener ;-) scince 05 and initially face back problems but I changed the seat angle to more than 90 degrees and seat 80% back and it is a noticable change.Try it.
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:56   #144
Senior - BHPian

I am slightly over 5'9" and my legs are rather long. I have no issues while driving my Alto. The driving position is very comfortable. I push the driver's seat all the way back. The only difficulty is while getting in/out.

But I felt right knee pain while driving the Santro even though it is roomier. The main reason why I settled for Alto. May be because of the pedal position.
Old 15th September 2009, 18:34   #145
BHPian

My tuppence on drive-related back pain. Two decades ago I developed a terrible back pain due to bad posture at work. This pain comes back on long drives. This thread has been very useful to me; really! I simply readjusted the seat of my Alto: pushed behind the seat-back a tad more, and moved the seat behind by a notch or two. The result is that the ride is a lot more comfortable and now the drive-related back pain is gone! I am essentially confirming ideas thrown in here by all T-BHPians.

Now I am only left with the right-knee pain, which comes from having to keep the gas pedal pressed so monotonously on long drives. This is one more reason why a bike is better than a car

Another remedy is to use some yoga exercises to strengthen the back in offline mode. The vajrasana and manjarasana are my favorites. There are several other yogasanas that help to strengthen the back muscles, but sorry I can't remember their names.

Last edited by gostel : 15th September 2009 at 18:36. Reason: typo correction
Old 6th October 2009, 12:44   #146
BHPian

Of late started having back pains while driving (already have disc prolapse in neck and back) and my friend suggested this 'back buddy' cushion.

I have got this supplementary cushions for the back and neck which provides good support. I have got this recently and find it to be of good support while driving and could just be used anywhere.

Please visit the link and Orthopaedic Products on OrthopaedicIndia.com for more info.

Bhp's in chennai, if interested PM me and i can forward the sales guy number to you, he would come home and give you a demo.

Ps: i am just a user of this product and just want to share this with bhp-ians, i do not have any commerical interest in this.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:51   #147
BHPian

Thanks a ton buddy. Will definitely explore this option
Old 8th October 2009, 12:28   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Sir, the wallet in back pocket is the top most cause of back pain as per the doctors. Having experienced its effect myself, I can say that without any hitch.
Competly agree with you, heavy wallet in the pocket as per my experience on long drives:

1.) Back Pain
2.) Mock Leather seats torn at the area
3.) My jean back pocket gave way in a month

Too much money is pain in the a*s
Old 26th October 2009, 00:56   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Three tipsfrom a lifetime sufferer that is now out of it.
1. Lose the belly. Your back carries it around. Your heart will also be grateful
2. Be aware of the right way and the wrong way to lift and move heavy stuff
3. Never, never, never operate to get relief
Hi Sawyer, sorry to barge in a bit late, can you please elaborate on point 2? Whether or not I am lifting heavy objects, I bend at knees, not at hips. Is there any other point I need to know?

Your third point also makes me curious:- is it just a relief or a cure?
Old 26th October 2009, 10:35   #150
Team-BHP Support

Yes Guite, thats the correct way. Sit down so your knees are bend, but back is straight. And then lift slowly, no jerky movements

And do not stop doing the exercises even after the pain stops, continue them, because back pain keeps coming back every time you do things like wrong posture or heavy lift etc.,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks