Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 08:50   #2341
Senior - BHPian

The Clutch Test Question.

Guys, I was wondering if I should replace my clutch before undertaking a long ardous 5k+ kms journey to the hills in August. There are no symptoms as of now. Its just that I feel, that having done a lot of OTR using 4L & 4H takes its toll on the clutch... so the skepticism.

I did a clutch test yesterday. I put the Safari in 1st gear with ac on and released the clutch and the accelerator. The vehicle plowed up a steep slope with a near hairpin bend without any shudder or judder on its own.

Im told that my clutch is in good shape. Is this a sufficient diagnosis for the clutch...??
My driving style involves negligible use of clutch except for changing gears.
What is the average life of the clutch in a 2.2 4x4 Safari??
Old 12th July 2010, 10:19   #2342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Guys, I was wondering if I should replace my clutch before undertaking a long ardous 5k+ kms journey to the hills in August. There are no symptoms as of now. Its just that I feel, that having done a lot of OTR using 4L & 4H takes its toll on the clutch... so the skepticism.

I did a clutch test yesterday. I put the Safari in 1st gear with ac on and released the clutch and the accelerator. The vehicle plowed up a steep slope with a near hairpin bend without any shudder or judder on its own.

Im told that my clutch is in good shape. Is this a sufficient diagnosis for the clutch...??
My driving style involves negligible use of clutch except for changing gears.
What is the average life of the clutch in a 2.2 4x4 Safari??
Jay; your ones looks ok. My Safari's clutch never felt bad to me but friends and TASS people found it weak. As someone to drive your Safari and see.

@manikahuja ; thanks for sharing the experience
Old 12th July 2010, 10:53   #2343
Team-BHP Support

No need to replace clutch. It will easily do 70-80K. 4H 4L is not an issue unless you do frequent half clutch. The major clutch killer is the flyover traffic jam,
Old 12th July 2010, 13:34   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Ok let me clear 2 things

1. When I put first gear my hand on gear knob touches the stereo
2. When I put reverse or second gater then then lever touches the square plastic, and it creates Khat sound
The problem is solved now, they shifted console back 1-2 inches. Now no khat sound and gear is engaging properly
Old 12th July 2010, 13:52   #2345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Gator is that leather thing .. with a Square plastic things around if you want to see you can pull it out using a screw driver your self .. It can not make a khat sound,.
you mean it touches the consoll where your sterio is mounted ? Now reverse gear is towards the driver so how touching something can explain khat sound in the case of reverse ? And that is the reason works manager's explanation of pushing back console sounds fishy( I assume by thw word console you mean the console where Sterno + AC controls are mounted)
Is it that simple, I havent seen or done it myself, hope there isn't a lock somewhere out of sight.
Old 12th July 2010, 13:59   #2346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Is it that simple, I havent seen or done it myself, hope there isn't a lock somewhere out of sight.
Yes there are locks , Towards the front and rear edge . It is press to fit peace of plastic. Funny thing is instead of plastic cowl and leather gator being two parts they give it as one integrated part. Actually in my case leather was torn and they replaced it ,
Later I noticed that lock was not seated properly and a rap with my palm fixed it. I will not dare to take it apart again till leather is torn and breaking lock makes no difference :-) but way to take out is to insert a thin flat screw driver in the gap and pull it gently.
Old 12th July 2010, 14:43   #2347
BHPian

Guys need to know one thing. YEsterday I driven my friends' new ford ikon. It was so smooth on suspension never felt any small bump. Whereas, in my truck, I always feel every bump on road. Tyre pressure is somewhere near 32 or 35PSI. Is there any way I Can get the suspension of the safari a bit soft? Or this is in the genes of the truck?
Old 12th July 2010, 15:45   #2348
BHPian

Even i have noticed this.While safari handles craters and pot holes well it does not smooth out bumps as much.But a pressure of 30 PSI can help to a great extend.If you ask me the reason for this behavior would leave it to the experts to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
Guys need to know one thing. YEsterday I driven my friends' new ford ikon. It was so smooth on suspension never felt any small bump. Whereas, in my truck, I always feel every bump on road. Tyre pressure is somewhere near 32 or 35PSI. Is there any way I Can get the suspension of the safari a bit soft? Or this is in the genes of the truck?
Old 12th July 2010, 16:28   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Guys can you comment on this?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1978540
Old 12th July 2010, 20:01   #2350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
Even i have noticed this.While safari handles craters and pot holes well it does not smooth out bumps as much.But a pressure of 30 PSI can help to a great extend.If you ask me the reason for this behavior would leave it to the experts to answer.
Hmmm.... this is little strange. In my case I always felt the other way round. My Safari better performs on bumps rather than ditches. For bumps or speed breakers, i have felt that the spead of the vehicle is important. If you are too slow, the feel of the bump is more. Around 35 ish is the most optimal for most small speed breakers. As for potholes it handles decently. But when there is a ditch, lets say when the morons on our streets dig out across the street and dont fill up the ditch properly, it does not handle so well.

Recently my truck had develloped a noise in the suspension and I got it greased in the TASS. Now the sound is gone and the suspension has become much better.
Old 12th July 2010, 23:56   #2351
Senior - BHPian

The Safari performs best while flying through the terrain.. mincing ditches undulations potholes crates, you name it!! Unfortunately you cant fly thru these in traffic.
The OE Bridgestones are a tad hard compound tire and you do feel things inside the cabin at slow speeds. I ran the Bridgestones at 28psi and it sorted most of the above mentioned issues.
The new Yokos I have are quite good. The ride feels soft too and im running 32psi and get a better effect than the Bridgestones at 28psi.

Note.. tread depth of the Yokos is much greater than the Bridgestones thereby allowing it to soak m ore of the road and transmitting lesser to the suspension.
I now feel its got to do a lot with the tires, because with a suspension at 47k kms the ride is better on the new tires compared to the ride on the new OE tires on the new car with new suspension.
Old 13th July 2010, 00:03   #2352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No need to replace clutch. It will easily do 70-80K. 4H 4L is not an issue unless you do frequent half clutch. The major clutch killer is the flyover traffic jam,
OK thanks..!! Maybe I was just being a bit too skeptical.. so no clutch for now.

Next question ;

What is the life of the front suspension of a 4x4 2.2 Safari.? Im referring to the shocks & the balljoints upfront in specific.
I recently did a wheel alignment.. the chap told me there is some play in the ball joints.. and should be replaced. I think some play is normal.. more play is trouble.

He jacked the tire and shook it with both hands. It moved a few mm here n there. Does that reflect a need for replacement? I thought it was normal.

Please advise.
Old 13th July 2010, 00:21   #2353
Team-BHP Support

Your cars bushes would have already given away. Suspension should last 65k with our kind of usage.
Old 13th July 2010, 09:56   #2354
Senior - BHPian

You mean the rear bushes?
How can you tell? And how to diagnose.
I find the ride very soft and comfortable and non bumpy at the rear.
What can you tell based upon the review note of my front suspension in my earlier post?
Old 13th July 2010, 10:03   #2355
BHPian

I replaced my front ball joint and bushes at 35K. I guess it was too early for ball joint.
But mine had some play. My front left rims was scraping something inside wheel arches, couldn't find out what and where it is scraping and hence changed the loose ball joints and bushes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks